Naomi's Gift: An Amish Christmas Story…

Naomi's Gift: An Amish Christmas Story

by Amy Clipston

Amy does not disappoint in her small Christmas novella - she continues to allow us the join theKaufman family and friends in Bird in a Hand, Pennsylvania. We were lucky enough to visit them in the Kaufmann bakery series: A Promise of Hope, A Gift of Grace and a Place of Peace.

In this one Naomi, who has had trouble in love in the other books finally thinks God has brought her a husband. This is her story. Amy throws in a little Christmas cheer and an enjoyable read for all.
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
Naomi’s Gift
Amy Clipston
This is novella which is standalone book that is part of Amy Clipston’s Kauffman Amish Bakery series. It was a very enjoyable story about a young woman who has been searching for love. Through a meeting in the Amish farmer’s market she meets a man and his daughter. Thus begins the novella that takes us through the growing relationship between these three characters. With ease and skill Amy Clipston is able to guide the reader through this magical Christmas season full of snow, hot coco and family was a treat from start to finish. Having never read any of her books previously I am very interesting in visiting Bird-in-the-Hand again. I am grateful to Zondervan for their allowing me to have a free copy of this book and providing this review. ( )
  Robin661 | Jun 29, 2012 |
This story keep my interest but it did not take my heart to want to a point where I was wanting to know to What going to happen next. I will say this it is good read and a Christmas story to itself. I hope it was meant to stand alone. Just my thought because I liked does not meant it will be for you it up to you to decide.

In the beginning of the story, Caleb and his daughter Susie (Susan) are coming to visit Caleb family. Susie want to stop at the market to get a pie or something to take to her Aunt Sadie's place. They stop in the farmer market. Susie run to a quilt stand and starts talking to Naomi King.

The Kauffmans are some what talked about though out the book. Though most of the story is around Caleb, Susie and Naomi along with a snip of Kaffuman family. It centered around the Christmas season. You see Caleb's sister side of the story as well and try to match her brother up with Irene Wranger. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Jun 28, 2012 |
In my search to provide a wide range of holiday stories, I was drawn to Naomi’s Gift: An Amish Christmas Story by Amy Clipston. All of us get nostalgic this time of year and I hoped a story set in the Amish community would provide us with an old fashioned Christmas. Naomi’s Gift is a novella that did not disappoint.

Although it’s part of a series, Naomi’s Gift works well as a stand-alone novel. It contains a glossary of Amish words and the families involved in the story are delineated in a geneology chart, so it’s very easy to see who’s who and how they’re related. For those of you who’ve read this series centering on the Kauffman Amish Bakery, some of the same families appear in this novel. There’s even a cookie exchange at the bakery. For those of you who haven’t, no worries. I believe you’ll find this light read to be sweet, nostalgic and heartwarming. Just the kind of book you want to curl up with on a holiday evening! Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=2420. ( )
  PopcornReads | Dec 8, 2011 |
Naomi's Gift: an Amish Christmas Story
by Amy Clipston
Published 8/16/2011
Zondervan

RATING: 3.5 stars

Summary: Take a trip to Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania, where you'll meet the women of the Kauffman Amish Bakery in Lancaster County. As each woman's story unfolds, you will share in her heartaches, trials, joys, dreams ... and secrets. You'll discover how the simplicity of the Amish lifestyle can clash with the 'English' way of life---and the decisions and consequences that follow. Most importantly, you will be encouraged by the hope and faith of these women, and the importance they place on their families. Naomi's Gift re-introduces twenty-four-year-old Naomi King, who has been burned twice by love and has all but given up on marriage and children.

As Christmas approaches---a time of family, faith, and hope for many others---Naomi is more certain than ever her life will be spent as an old maid, helping with the family's quilting business and taking care of her eight siblings. Then she meets Caleb, a young widower with a 7-year-old daughter, and her world is once again turned upside-down.

Naomi's story of romantic trial and error and youthful insecurities has universal appeal. Author Amy Clipston artfully paints a panorama of simple lives full of complex relationships, and she carefully explores cultural differences and human similarities, with inspirational results.

Naomi's Gift includes all the details of Amish life that Clipston's fans enjoy, while delivering the compelling stories and strong characters that continue to draw legions of new readers.

Review: Caleb Schmucker and his young daughter, Susie, travel to Pennsylvania to celebrate Christmas with his Amish family and church district. Widowed for two years, Caleb realizes that he misses the community he grew up in and how the relationships there play a positive role in he and Susie's path to the future.

Naomi King feels undeserving of anyone's love or attention after two failed relationships. She takes pride in her work as a quilter and helping to care for her younger siblings, and believes this will be her mission in life. Quietly, however, she yearns for her own 'happy ever after' in accordance to God's plan.

Susie has just one simple Christmas wish--- he wants to see the light in her father's eyes; that he may experience joy and be truly happy again. She just needs to figure out a way to get meddling Aunt Sadie and her friend, Irene out of the way first.

I really enjoyed this sweet, love story. While both Caleb and Naomi seemed to waver back and forth constantly in their decisions, the emotion that they felt seemed realistic in each of their situations. They seemed to have some magnetic attraction right from the beginning. The fact that their relationship blossomed in such a short amount of time (a week maybe?) felt a bit rushed, but in the end could probably be described as love at first sight.

Recommended ( )
  showmegirl | Nov 24, 2011 |

Part of a family-oriented Amish community, twenty-four-year-old Naomi King has given up her dreams of finding true love. But when a young widower stirs surprising feelings in her, Naomi cautiously opens her heart to him and receives an unexpected response that once again turns her world upside-down.… (more)

49 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,272,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible