Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Catching Jordan (edition 2011)

by Miranda Kenneally

Member:olive_spread
Title:Catching Jordan
Authors:Miranda Kenneally
Info:Sourcebooks Fire (2011), Paperback, 288 pages

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Letters to Nowhere by Julie Cross (juliecrossauthor)
    Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Another high school girl playing football with the boys - and with a crush on her rival. I enjoyed both, though Dairy Queen is more coming of age and Catching Jordan is more of a romance.

A little crude in places. Not horrible, but a little predictable. And it could have been fleshed out a little more for me. Seemed like it was rushed in parts. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book was amazing! Review coming up on Booknerd777.Blogspot.com ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
This is not the novel I was expecting, but it is still pretty good. I was sold on the tagline: the main character is a girl on a high school football team. Not just a player, but the quarterback and the captain. And that's not the big conflict. The big conflict is that a new kid -- a new HOT kid comes in -- threatening to take her position, and she has to choose between a boy she likes and sport she loves.

Well, that's not exactly what happens. The threat of the new hotness is minimal at best -- her position's never in jeopardy. What she's really torn about choosing between the new hotness or her best friend who likes her-likes her. There's nothing worse than advertising that fibs on the product in order to sell. Plus, they've been best friends since grade school and only NOW she realizes he likes her, after countless sleepovers and school projects.

The story is YA to the core, and hinges on implausible teen-ness. The only characters in the book are footballers and cheerleaders. Normally, I'd expect main screen time for jocks and cheerleaders with this kind of subject matter. But no one talks to anyone BUT cheerleaders and footballers.

And no one talks about anything but their relationships. That means guys only talk about girls and girls only talk about guys. No one has a life outside of school - no one talks about jobs, or family problems, or homework, or colleges, or non-football activities/hobbies, or other friends. They all exist in their football bubble.

The other big flaw is that the character development is two-faced. The girl quarterback constantly derides the cheerleaders for being slutty, indecisive, and flitting from boyfriend to boyfriend. Whereas she is just as gossipy and self-absorbed as the girls she purports to hate.

So if you're looking for an awesome book about shattering gender stereotypes or a woman succeeding in a man's world, not really here. But If you're looking for a high-school romance that's not in a cliched setting, this is it. ( )
  theWallflower | Mar 17, 2014 |
Jordan has a dream of playing college football at Alabama. She cannot be distracted from her goal but when Tyler moves from Texas and is also a quarterback and cute, she gets distracted. Things are not smooth for her or Tyler. She loses her best friend Sam and then realizes how important he is to her. Her dad does not support her dreams. There were times when I wanted to shake him and yell, "Why can't you love her as she is?" When it looks like her dream may come true, she has to take a good look at what is being offered. Is it what she wants? I like Jordan and her team. Jordan is a go-getter. She knows what she wants. She gets off track some and has to go through the pain of what she lost but she learns that sometimes dreams have to change. The story was realistic. It sets up the series very well. We meet many of the characters who will be in this series. A good read. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Feb 16, 2014 |
I was drawn to this book because it features a female football player. I have never come across such a character in YA before and it intrigued me.

Jordan Woods is the star quarterback of her high school football team and also one of the top quarterbacks in Tennessee. She's respected by her male team members and she dreams of going to play college ball for Alabama. But when the new guy shows up, Jordan is hit doubly hard. First of all, he's also a quarterback, and a dang good one. Second, he's also the first guy that Jordan reacts to in a lusty way. This freaks her out. Will he take her spot on the team? Will the guys lose respect for her if they realize she is indeed a girl and has girly feelings for a fellow player?

I am not going to lie, I loved this book. It all focuses on Jordan and she's such an interesting, layered character. I understand why she was afraid to like Ty. She thought the guys on her team would think differently of her and she didn't want to lose their respect. And this is despite the fact that they hook up willy-nilly. She knows there's a double-standard. And for someone who rejected everything feminine about herself, she was freaked out about how she was feeling. She wanted to look good for Ty. And she really struggled with this new girly side to herself. I liked that. It was all growing pains for Jordan and she was such a likeable character that I enjoyed going through it all with her.

What else made this book a winner for me was her group of friends. She was really close to a few football players and they had her back - always. Even though she didn't understand their tom-cat ways, she worried about them and they worried about her. Even as she explored her more feminine side, she made a few female friends as well, and I thought that was a good development for her.

What clinched it all was Jordan's family, her dad especially. But her brother was cute too - super supportive of her dreams. A big conflict for Jordan through this book was her father, who is also a pro ball player. He's against her playing football and he never shows up to her games, and he always tries to get her to change her mind about going to Alabama to play college ball. This hurts Jordan because he comes across as supportive to everyone else, her friend Sam Henry, her brother, even Ty, the new quarterback. But let's just say I like the evolution of their relationship and I had a lump in my throat when things settled between them.

Now, the thing I loved the most about this book is also something that got on my nerves a wee tiny bit. Jordan's best friend, Sam Henry. I looooved him. Right from the get go I enjoyed his character. And when that friendship turns sour, Jordan kind of crumples under the loss. Sam is her rock. And she turns into a downright weepy watering pot when she feels he isn't there for her. That kind of got on my nerves - just how much she cried. I would think a girl like Jordan wouldn't cry so much, especially in front of the guys. LOL

All in all, I really enjoyed Catching Jordan. Jordan was a unique character in that she was a true blue tomboy, which I loved. Everything else was icing on the cake. ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
Debut author Kenneally does a solid job of depicting Jordan’s conflicted emotions, the pressure she is under, and her testy relationship with her father. Despite the gridiron setting, this is at its heart a romance—most of the action and drama takes place off the field.
added by jjlong | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 31, 2011)

I once read that football was invented so people wouldn't notice summer ending.

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though. She leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position ...suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.… (more)

Sourcebooks Fire

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible