Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Catching Jordan (edition 2011)

by Miranda Kenneally

Title:Catching Jordan
Authors:Miranda Kenneally
Info:Sourcebooks Fire (2011), Paperback, 288 pages

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Letters to Nowhere by Julie Cross (juliecrossauthor)
    Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Another high school girl playing football with the boys - and with a crush on her rival. I enjoyed both, though Dairy Queen is more coming of age and Catching Jordan is more of a romance.

Catching Jordan is a book that caught me by surprise. I very rarely read contemporary YA because as a genre it usually doesn't appeal to me, but ironically it was a naughty story from Tiffany Reisz who borrowed a character from Miranda Kenneally's book for her erotic shorts which made me buy a novel by this author in the first place.

Weird and wonderful ways, right?

Miranda's writing strikes me as incredibly honest and refreshing.

Jordan Woods is a girl quarterback which is already pretty unusual and daring. Not only that, but she is a captain of her team of teen boys who respect her and love her and treat her the way they treat each other.

Her dad is a famous football player, her brother is following in his steps, and that's what she wants to do too, but what she gets is silent disapproval and a cold shoulder from her dad who deep down is really scared of her injuring herself in the field because she physically simply is not as tough as the boys.

Jordan also has her best friend, Henry, a member of her team, with whom she literally has been joined at the hip since they were little. He is wonderful and goofy and warm. he is a joy to read about.

“Congratulations, Mommy," I say, dropping the doll into his hands. "You could've told me I knocked you up."
"My bad. I thought you'd force me to get an abortion," Henry replies, taking the baby and cradling it as if it's real. "He has your eyes, Woods."
"And your hair." The doll is bald. "Can we name him Joe Montana?"
"Hells no, his name is Jerry Rice."
"No, his name is Joe Montana."
"I was in labor with him for fourteen hours!" Henry exclaims as he rocks the baby back and forth. “His name is Jerry Rice."
I grin. "Fine.”

As you can guess from the synopsis though, it's the new boy on her team and in her school that attracts her attention, and it's her dilemmas and solutions and slow realisation of what she really wants from her life is what's so interesting about this book.

First of all, sex. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to read about a girl who doesn't make it a huge deal, doesn't get what the fuss is about and doesn't think that if she had sex with her boyfriend this is it - he is her Prince Charming and she has to please him any way she can. Jordan is independent, strong and doesn't take shit from anyone. When her boyfriend behaves like a jerk, she tells him to back off and when she realises he is not what she wants for herself she calmly and rationally breaks up with him. She is honest and uses her head despite feeling emotional as all teens do.

I couldn't help but cheer for Woods and her friends and family, because this is a book about appreciation for what you have and realisation of what you need, it's wise and humorous and emotional. And I wish to see more books like that published in the future. Highly recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Catching Jordan was a somewhat enjoyable read about a HS girl on the football team. In some ways it was a bit unbelievable that Jordan could be such a standout quarterback with plans on playing football at college. I liked her interaction with all of the football players and how they treated her as one of guys but also were very protective of her. I had some issues with the fact that as HS students her friend Henry spent the night in her room and in her bed frequently throughout the book. Also the fact that so many of the characters mention their casual sexual conquests throughout the book was a bit frustrating, especially if the book is marketed to a YA audience. I would hate for my teenage kids to read this book and think this type of behavior is acceptable. ( )
  kim.jacobs | Oct 1, 2014 |
A little crude in places. Not horrible, but a little predictable. And it could have been fleshed out a little more for me. Seemed like it was rushed in parts. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book was amazing! Review coming up on Booknerd777.Blogspot.com ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
This is not the novel I was expecting, but it is still pretty good. I was sold on the tagline: the main character is a girl on a high school football team. Not just a player, but the quarterback and the captain. And that's not the big conflict. The big conflict is that a new kid -- a new HOT kid comes in -- threatening to take her position, and she has to choose between a boy she likes and sport she loves.

Well, that's not exactly what happens. The threat of the new hotness is minimal at best -- her position's never in jeopardy. What she's really torn about choosing between the new hotness or her best friend who likes her-likes her. There's nothing worse than advertising that fibs on the product in order to sell. Plus, they've been best friends since grade school and only NOW she realizes he likes her, after countless sleepovers and school projects.

The story is YA to the core, and hinges on implausible teen-ness. The only characters in the book are footballers and cheerleaders. Normally, I'd expect main screen time for jocks and cheerleaders with this kind of subject matter. But no one talks to anyone BUT cheerleaders and footballers.

And no one talks about anything but their relationships. That means guys only talk about girls and girls only talk about guys. No one has a life outside of school - no one talks about jobs, or family problems, or homework, or colleges, or non-football activities/hobbies, or other friends. They all exist in their football bubble.

The other big flaw is that the character development is two-faced. The girl quarterback constantly derides the cheerleaders for being slutty, indecisive, and flitting from boyfriend to boyfriend. Whereas she is just as gossipy and self-absorbed as the girls she purports to hate.

So if you're looking for an awesome book about shattering gender stereotypes or a woman succeeding in a man's world, not really here. But If you're looking for a high-school romance that's not in a cliched setting, this is it. ( )
  theWallflower | Mar 17, 2014 |
Debut author Kenneally does a solid job of depicting Jordan’s conflicted emotions, the pressure she is under, and her testy relationship with her father. Despite the gridiron setting, this is at its heart a romance—most of the action and drama takes place off the field.
added by jjlong | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 31, 2011)
I once read that football was invented so people wouldn't notice summer ending.

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though. She leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position ...suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.… (more)

Sourcebooks Fire

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible