Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Catching Jordan (edition 2011)

by Miranda Kenneally

Member:olive_spread
Title:Catching Jordan
Authors:Miranda Kenneally
Info:Sourcebooks Fire (2011), Paperback, 288 pages

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Letters to Nowhere by Julie Cross (juliecrossauthor)
    Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Another high school girl playing football with the boys - and with a crush on her rival. I enjoyed both, though Dairy Queen is more coming of age and Catching Jordan is more of a romance.

fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
I wanted to read catching Jordan because I really enjoy racing Savannah one of the later ones in the series so I figured I would try and see if I like more of the authors writing style.

Jordan's a great character and I liked her right away. she's the female quarterback and coach of her high school football team and she wants to go even further to the college or pro level but her dad is not supportive of her playing even though he was a football player himself.

Jordan is a pretty complex character she has a best friend named Henry and I'm beginning to suspect that he has feelings for her but she just sees it is totally platonic because they've been friends for so long.

Jordan and Henry I guess that are best friends but it just feels like it goes even further than that because Henry spends the night in Jordan bed a lot and even though nothing happens there it can just give kind of the wrong ideas.
Their relationship is kind of a mystery to the guy that Jordan has a crush on by the new guy in town who is also a quarterback and he has also very good. Jordan wants keep Her distance though. she's always kind of shied away from any kind of relationship besides friendship with the team because she doesn't want them to view her as we are too girly or anything else could because she wants to keep their respect because she is there a captain.

She faces some pretty hard issues in this one. her Dad not wanting her to play and him never really showing up to any of her games or even talking football with her and that really hurts her pretty deeply. she also gets an offer from a college saying that she'll probably get a full ride but they want me to do this photo shoot and it has her very girly like in a jersey and shorts shorts and she's uncomfortable with it but she also pretty much will do anything to get into that schools and to be able to play ball on that sort of level. Jordan always wears workout clothes and she's very much a tomboy and she's okay with that for the most part.

The whole crush thing is pretty new to her too she liked her but she keeps holding back in even though its obvious to other people and even her that they have the chemistry she just doesn't want to give up that part of herself and it's all very new to her she never even really been kissed and all the sudden she's having thoughts about how hot this guy is and it's different because she's been surrounded by boys a lot with the team

Bottom Line: Enjoyed Jordan, the friendships and eventual romance. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Feb 7, 2016 |
Catching Jordan is a book that caught me by surprise. I very rarely read contemporary YA because as a genre it usually doesn't appeal to me, but ironically it was a naughty story from Tiffany Reisz who borrowed a character from Miranda Kenneally's book for her erotic shorts which made me buy a novel by this author in the first place.

Weird and wonderful ways, right?

Miranda's writing strikes me as incredibly honest and refreshing.

Jordan Woods is a girl quarterback which is already pretty unusual and daring. Not only that, but she is a captain of her team of teen boys who respect her and love her and treat her the way they treat each other.

Her dad is a famous football player, her brother is following in his steps, and that's what she wants to do too, but what she gets is silent disapproval and a cold shoulder from her dad who deep down is really scared of her injuring herself in the field because she physically simply is not as tough as the boys.

Jordan also has her best friend, Henry, a member of her team, with whom she literally has been joined at the hip since they were little. He is wonderful and goofy and warm. he is a joy to read about.

“Congratulations, Mommy," I say, dropping the doll into his hands. "You could've told me I knocked you up."
"My bad. I thought you'd force me to get an abortion," Henry replies, taking the baby and cradling it as if it's real. "He has your eyes, Woods."
"And your hair." The doll is bald. "Can we name him Joe Montana?"
"Hells no, his name is Jerry Rice."
"No, his name is Joe Montana."
"I was in labor with him for fourteen hours!" Henry exclaims as he rocks the baby back and forth. “His name is Jerry Rice."
I grin. "Fine.”

As you can guess from the synopsis though, it's the new boy on her team and in her school that attracts her attention, and it's her dilemmas and solutions and slow realisation of what she really wants from her life is what's so interesting about this book.

First of all, sex. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to read about a girl who doesn't make it a huge deal, doesn't get what the fuss is about and doesn't think that if she had sex with her boyfriend this is it - he is her Prince Charming and she has to please him any way she can. Jordan is independent, strong and doesn't take shit from anyone. When her boyfriend behaves like a jerk, she tells him to back off and when she realises he is not what she wants for herself she calmly and rationally breaks up with him. She is honest and uses her head despite feeling emotional as all teens do.

I couldn't help but cheer for Woods and her friends and family, because this is a book about appreciation for what you have and realisation of what you need, it's wise and humorous and emotional. And I wish to see more books like that published in the future. Highly recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Catching Jordan was a somewhat enjoyable read about a HS girl on the football team. In some ways it was a bit unbelievable that Jordan could be such a standout quarterback with plans on playing football at college. I liked her interaction with all of the football players and how they treated her as one of guys but also were very protective of her. I had some issues with the fact that as HS students her friend Henry spent the night in her room and in her bed frequently throughout the book. Also the fact that so many of the characters mention their casual sexual conquests throughout the book was a bit frustrating, especially if the book is marketed to a YA audience. I would hate for my teenage kids to read this book and think this type of behavior is acceptable. ( )
  kim.jacobs | Oct 1, 2014 |
A little crude in places. Not horrible, but a little predictable. And it could have been fleshed out a little more for me. Seemed like it was rushed in parts. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Debut author Kenneally does a solid job of depicting Jordan’s conflicted emotions, the pressure she is under, and her testy relationship with her father. Despite the gridiron setting, this is at its heart a romance—most of the action and drama takes place off the field.
added by jjlong | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 31, 2011)

I once read that football was invented so people wouldn't notice summer ending.

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though. She leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position ...suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.… (more)

Sourcebooks Fire

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,771,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible