The Viper by Monica McCarty

The Viper

by Monica McCarty

Series: Highland Guard (Oct 2011, book 4)

Disclaimer: I hadn't read a historical romance since I was a teenager. A TEENAGER. •_• (I'm 34.)

Lately, I've been wondering if I should try one again. Thankfully, I have this wonderful little friend named Dija, who reads HR's. She insisted I read this book. It was planned as a group read, but of course, the rest of the "group" Alky and Anzu dropped it and I ended up taking one for the team. I read 40% before my brain shut down. I can read no more.

I wanted to divulge this info before I talk about why I hated this book, because if you read HR's, you may very well love this book. Just keep in mind that this is a review of an HR from someone who doesn't like romance books.

K.

So, I give up. I tried. Lawd knows I tried.

The Viper is a cheesefest. I'm just not idealistic enough to buy into the bullshit whirlwind, lusty romance crap.

The whole, "My body flushed and I just knew that he had entered the room and was standing behind me" is nauseating. This was shortly after meeting him. She barely knew him, but her BODY can predict when he's entered the room.

If the MC's are in a dangerous situation where they need to escape, the hero shouldn't be pausing to notice the heroines lips to think about how he'd love to see them wrapped around his cock. Or him thinking, "I realized that she had touched me for the first time and I felt a jolt of electricity". This is a WARRIOR on a RESCUE MISSION meeting some chick for the first time and his warrior mind is more focused on his "feels" than on the task at hand just because she lightly touched his arm? You're a SHITTY warrior. You're supposed to be escaping! It's just too much. Makes me see the hero as weak. Too weak to resist sexual urges. I don't respect a man or woman completely ruled by sexual urges - not in my books or in real life. Have some self-control.

I could have gotten into the plot, if the MC's would've stopped lusting after each other for a frikkin second. They were in lust at first glance, practically. I can understand acknowledging an attraction right from the start, because they're human and you can see a hot person and be like "wowsers, they're hot!" But the constant "jolts of electricity" and the constant referring to her heavy breasts and her CONSTANT flushing and his constant arousal were all just too much. Most of what I read was about their unexplainable lust for each other, despite being in dire situations. The plot was only thrown in there as background noise.

I'm told that it gets better plot-wise, but I don't have the patience to wade through half a book, just to finally see some progression in the plot. I hate any book where the romance takes over, regardless of genre. My type of romance is the slower, get to know you, it's-not-that-easy type. This type of book was okay for me as a teen, but I'm too realistic (and bitter) to find this type of romance hot or appealing in any way.

Despite having hated it, I'm glad I at least tried it, because now I know that it's not for me and I'll never have to wonder again. That chapter of my reading life is definitely over.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I have to admit that when I started this series I thought the whole concept might be pretty cheesy. It sounded like a Highlander/Navy SEAL mashup that was just cashing in on two hot romance sub-genres. Boy was I wrong. There are so many historical details, real life people, battles & places that I've taken to cheating and reading the author's note first because the research is so fascinating.

In this book the heroine is Bella MacDuff, a real life Scottish heroine who risked a great deal to crown Robert Bruce and was punished in a horrible way for it. The hero, Lachlan MacRauri has been in previous books as a surly, out for himself type. It takes most of the book for his whole story to come out but there are plenty of times along the way when you see that there is more to him than he wants others to see. It is a romance though, so it's no surprise that Lachlan is honorable at heart and that Bella gets a happy ending that she probably did not get in real life.

I saw some reviews complain that there was too much historical fact and not enough action or romance. I thought that there was plenty of action, they were on the run for much of book and there were a couple of escape scenes. I also thought the romance itself was strong. There were many lovely scenes between the two. And if Lachlan was on the edge of being too much of a jerk sometimes for me, he never truly crossed the line and always redeemed himself. I do enjoy straight historical fiction, as well as historical romance, but often the characters who are living interesting lives don't have the greatest outcomes. It's fascinating but sometimes a little depressing to read. For me this book fulfilled my interest in history and my desire for a happy ending. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Book was amazing. I had started it a long time ago but never finished it, got sucked into another series (BDB) But I finally finished it and it was great. The romance was amazing. It had great suspense and of course the fairy tale ending. ( )
  Author_AndriaLarge | Sep 1, 2013 |
This is my favorite book in the series (even if there is more to come). I simply fell in love with Lachlan MacRuairi from the first book and several books later, he's still the number one.

There is something dark and evil in Lachlan MacRuairi that appeals, the bad-boy-rebel without a cause that you want to change, but the truth is there is so much more about him that you need to read the book (and the others before it) to understand this character.
Lachlan obeys no one, is a hired sword, a mercenary without conscience and feelings and that is how we know him through the series...until he meets Lady Isabella MacDuff, the Countess who left everything behind just to crow Robert, the Bruce, king of Scotland, including her most precious 'thing': her daughter Joan.

I must confess that I didn't like Lady Isabella at first but in the end I believe that the two make a great couple. He is dark and full of secrets, she is light and full of hope. They balance each other and even if their path was a dangerous one, full of betrayal, hurts, wrong choices and a lack of trust (based on the shady past of Lachlan) they still made the best of it.
They are both strong, faithful to their ideals and it's impossible not to want to know them better.
Even if this 'love story' is fiction, I can't help to feel awe of the courage of Bella MacDuff, because she did actually suffer for her rebellious act. ( )
  Lost_Lenore | Jul 16, 2013 |

Monica McCartyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, AntonyReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Because she has not struck with the sword, she shall not die by the sword, but on account of the unlawful coronation which she performed, let her be closely confined in an abode of stone and iron made in the shape of a cross, and let her be hung up out of doors in the open air at Berwick, that both in life and after her death, she may be a spectable and eternal reproach to travellers."
--Order of Edward I imprisoning Isabella MacDuff, Countess of Buchan
Prologue
Berwick Castle, Berwick-Upon-Tweed, English Marches,
Late September 1306

They'd come for her.

"Prized for his snakelike stealth and deadly strikes, Lachlan "Viper" MacRuairi is a warrior to enlist but not to trust. His only loyalty is to his purse, his indifference sealed by bitter betrayal. All that changes when Lachlan is tasked to protect and deliver Bella MacDuff to the king's coronation--and the proud, lushly sensual countess unwittingly challenges him to his greatest battle yet: to love again. Passionate and devoted, Bella has defied Britain's king and her own husband to place the crown on Bruce's head, and for this she pays a terrible price: Losing her daughter and her freedom to her husband's vengeance. Imprisoned with barbaric cruelty, she vows to reclaim her child, even if it means selling her soul--and her body--to a dark, lethal warrior whose eyes glint like steel, but who makes her skin tingle and her breath race. Together they embark on a rogue mission with sinister twists and turns that threatens not only Bella's gamble to save her daughter--but also her heart."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,282,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible