Naughty In Nice (A Royal Spyness Mystery) by…

Naughty In Nice (A Royal Spyness Mystery) (edition 2012)

by Rhys Bowen

Member:ddelmoni
Title:Naughty In Nice (A Royal Spyness Mystery)
Authors:Rhys Bowen
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:HH Library, 20th Century HF
Rating:***1/2

Naughty in Nice by Rhys Bowen

It’s January 1933, and impecunious Lady Georgiana Rannoch is saved from a dreary winter in a drafty castle in Scotland by a commission from the queen: to recover an antique snuffbox the queen believes was stolen by a wealthy member of the aristocracy who winters on the French Riviera. She’s got a place to say, but it’s nowhere near the sea, and it’s with her dreaded and dreadful sister-in-law and family. But soon, our heroine finds herself in a beautiful sea view home owned by none other than Georgie’s mother and with Coco Chanel as a houseguest.

Soon, however, the whole adventure turns ugly when the supposed snuff-box stealer is murdered and Georgie is taken into custody by an inept French cop. How is Georgie going to get the snuff-box back when she’d have to revisit the scene of the crime to do so?

A modeling gig with the House of Chanel winds up with Georgie tripping (with the klutziness she warned Coco about), falling and somehow losing a hugely valuable necklace lent by the queen. And then she sees the love of her life, Darcy, with a woman and child she’s certain are his mistress and love child. What’s a girl to do?

Rhys Bowen’s “her royal spyness” stories are madcap mysteries, always with just a dollop of romance, but not too much for those who like their mysteries “straight.” I count myself in that category. Georgie remains a great protagonist, sweet, somewhat naïve, but brave and fearless. She manages to get her beloved grandfather, a former London cop, to cross the pond for the first time when she lets him know she’s in trouble. A lot of trouble. Great entry in a favorite series. ( )
  NewsieQ | Aug 24, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoy this delightfully British mystery series set in the 30's. This installment Georgie (once again thanks to the Queen) is set out on special mission which takes her to Nice. There are plenty of twists and turns and hijinks occur as always. . Georgie, due to instances which I cannot discuss as it will ruin the story, begins a romance with a charming and sexy French man. I got a huge kick out of the introduction of Coco Chanel, which leads to Georgie FINALLY getting some much needed additions to her wardrobe. The setting is truly divine, and I now have an obsessive need to see Nice (Though lets face it, I truly believe this bookworm would be disappointed, as it won't be like it was in the 30's)I have mentioned on any occasions, that my love of this series is based on the fabulous characters, not the mystery itself. You won't be disappointed this time around as there are some delightful scenes with Belinda, Queenie, Darcy, and Georgies Mom and maternal grandfather. If you haven't had a chance, I highly recommend the audio versions of this series. Katherine Kellgren does a brilliant job of bringing to life each and every character ( )
  mountie9 | Jul 28, 2014 |
This is such a fun cozy/historical mystery series. I loved that Georgie got to go to the Riviera and that she got taken under the wing of Coco Chanel. Her mother also played a more maternal role so it was nice to see Georgie get to have some fun and get taken care of a bit. Of course, trouble & murder aren't far behind. It's a little disappointing that Darcy isn't around much in this one but maybe he needs to stop taking her for granted! ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Delicious fun as always. I would call this series a guilty pleasure, but I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt in enjoying it. ( )
  sonofcradock | Nov 11, 2013 |
This time Georgie is at the French Riviera and as usual, wherever Georgie goes, murder and mayhem ensues. I enjoyed this on audio, Georgie hob nobs with Coco Chanel while modeling in a fashion show and loses a priceless necklace belonging to the Queen of England. Then she stumbles upon the dead body of a not very well liked millionaire in his pool! This one had it's moments, but not as humorous and the other books, plus Darcy's not in it much. For the majority of the time, Georgie is angry and heartbroken over him, yet finds solace in the arms of a debonaire Frenchman. All in all, not my favorite in the series, but still I love Katherine Kellgren's narration which is tops! ( )
  ktleyed | Nov 2, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to Marie O'Day,

whom I have elevated to the ranks of royalty for this story
The Riviera had never looked more inviting.

The national bestselling author of Royal Blood whisks her heroine away to the French Riviera for fun-and danger.

Lady Georgiana Rannoch has once again been called into service by Her Majesty the Queen. This time she's sent to Nice on a secret assignment that's nothing to sneeze at-recover the Queen's stolen snuff box.

As much of an honor as it is to be trusted by Her Majesty, an even greater honor awaits Georgie in Nice-as Coco Chanel herself asks Georgie to model her latest fashion. But when a necklace belonging to the Queen is stolen on the catwalk, Georgie has to find two priceless items-and solve a murder. How's a girl to find any time to go to the casino? [book description retrieved from Amazon 11/14/11]

In Nice to recover the Queen's stolen snuff box, Lady Georgiana Rannoch participates in a Coco Chanel fashion show where a necklace also belonging to the Queen goes missing, forcing her to search for both priceless items and solve a murder.

116 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible