Naughty In Nice (A Royal Spyness Mystery) by…

Naughty In Nice (A Royal Spyness Mystery) (edition 2012)

by Rhys Bowen

Member:ddelmoni
Title:Naughty In Nice (A Royal Spyness Mystery)
Authors:Rhys Bowen
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:HH Library, 20th Century
Rating:***1/2

Naughty in Nice by Rhys Bowen

Recently added byscrittrice, LauraBrook, murderbydeath, VivienneR, van.ash, dyanny66, private library, NewsieQ, mryan40

English (20)  Piratical (1)  All languages (21)
It’s January 1933, and impecunious Lady Georgiana Rannoch is saved from a dreary winter in a drafty castle in Scotland by a commission from the queen: to recover an antique snuffbox the queen believes was stolen by a wealthy member of the aristocracy who winters on the French Riviera. She’s got a place to say, but it’s nowhere near the sea, and it’s with her dreaded and dreadful sister-in-law and family. But soon, our heroine finds herself in a beautiful sea view home owned by none other than Georgie’s mother and with Coco Chanel as a houseguest.

Soon, however, the whole adventure turns ugly when the supposed snuff-box stealer is murdered and Georgie is taken into custody by an inept French cop. How is Georgie going to get the snuff-box back when she’d have to revisit the scene of the crime to do so?

A modeling gig with the House of Chanel winds up with Georgie tripping (with the klutziness she warned Coco about), falling and somehow losing a hugely valuable necklace lent by the queen. And then she sees the love of her life, Darcy, with a woman and child she’s certain are his mistress and love child. What’s a girl to do?

Rhys Bowen’s “her royal spyness” stories are madcap mysteries, always with just a dollop of romance, but not too much for those who like their mysteries “straight.” I count myself in that category. Georgie remains a great protagonist, sweet, somewhat naïve, but brave and fearless. She manages to get her beloved grandfather, a former London cop, to cross the pond for the first time when she lets him know she’s in trouble. A lot of trouble. Great entry in a favorite series. ( )
1 vote NewsieQ | Aug 24, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoy this delightfully British mystery series set in the 30's. This installment Georgie (once again thanks to the Queen) is set out on special mission which takes her to Nice. There are plenty of twists and turns and hijinks occur as always. . Georgie, due to instances which I cannot discuss as it will ruin the story, begins a romance with a charming and sexy French man. I got a huge kick out of the introduction of Coco Chanel, which leads to Georgie FINALLY getting some much needed additions to her wardrobe. The setting is truly divine, and I now have an obsessive need to see Nice (Though lets face it, I truly believe this bookworm would be disappointed, as it won't be like it was in the 30's)I have mentioned on any occasions, that my love of this series is based on the fabulous characters, not the mystery itself. You won't be disappointed this time around as there are some delightful scenes with Belinda, Queenie, Darcy, and Georgies Mom and maternal grandfather. If you haven't had a chance, I highly recommend the audio versions of this series. Katherine Kellgren does a brilliant job of bringing to life each and every character ( )
  mountie9 | Jul 28, 2014 |
Delicious fun as always. I would call this series a guilty pleasure, but I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt in enjoying it. ( )
  sonofcradock | Nov 11, 2013 |
This time Georgie is at the French Riviera and as usual, wherever Georgie goes, murder and mayhem ensues. I enjoyed this on audio, Georgie hob nobs with Coco Chanel while modeling in a fashion show and loses a priceless necklace belonging to the Queen of England. Then she stumbles upon the dead body of a not very well liked millionaire in his pool! This one had it's moments, but not as humorous and the other books, plus Darcy's not in it much. For the majority of the time, Georgie is angry and heartbroken over him, yet finds solace in the arms of a debonaire Frenchman. All in all, not my favorite in the series, but still I love Katherine Kellgren's narration which is tops! ( )
  ktleyed | Nov 2, 2013 |
This book is the fifth in The Royal Spyness Series. I really enjoy this series, need to read #4) and I think this is the best one yet.

The London house is being closed as Lady Georgianna's, 34th in line for the throne, brother and his family are preparing to go the Riveria. Unfortunately there is no money for Georgie and her maid to go with them. But then the Queen asks if Georgie would undertake a secret mission to recover a valuable snuffbox that has been stolen from the castle and is surely in Nice. And of course to keep an eye on the wayward Prince and Mrs. Simpson,too. In the dining car on the way to Nice, Georgie meets Coco Channel. Channel is very impressed with Georgie and wants her to be a model in a fashion show that is being planned.

Soon, with less than desirable accomodation with her brother and family, Georgies heads off to villa where Channel is staying, only to find out it is her mothers villa. Their neighbor is the just the person she wants to meet, the one that stolen the Queen's snuffbox. She visits with Sir Toby to see if the snuffbox is actually there and it is. The next day Sir Toby is found dead in his pool and a witness has placed Georgie at seen. Mean while at the fashion show, Georgie is wearing one of Channel designs and a necklace provided by the Queen as nears the end of the runway she trips and falls and the necklace disappears.

Who is repsonsible for the theft and the killing of Sir Toby. And are they related. We have a fair amount of suspects. Other than Georgie, there's is the Marquis, for which Georgie has developed an interest in, who is the girl in town that looks so much like Georgie, the wife who has her fill of cheating husband, Sir Toby's son who was booted out of school and has accumulated a fair amount of gambling debts.

Coco pulls in some favors and gets an inspector from Surtee and Georgie ask her grandfather,a retired policeman, to come and help. Between the three of them they are able to solve this exciting case.

Thia is a really fun and exciting read. More exciting twist and turns than the Grand Prix at Monte Carlo. Try and start with the first so you will know all the charactersand how they have developed. Chuckles abound in this series. ( )
  yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to Marie O'Day,

whom I have elevated to the ranks of royalty for this story
The Riviera had never looked more inviting.

The national bestselling author of Royal Blood whisks her heroine away to the French Riviera for fun-and danger.

Lady Georgiana Rannoch has once again been called into service by Her Majesty the Queen. This time she's sent to Nice on a secret assignment that's nothing to sneeze at-recover the Queen's stolen snuff box.

As much of an honor as it is to be trusted by Her Majesty, an even greater honor awaits Georgie in Nice-as Coco Chanel herself asks Georgie to model her latest fashion. But when a necklace belonging to the Queen is stolen on the catwalk, Georgie has to find two priceless items-and solve a murder. How's a girl to find any time to go to the casino? [book description retrieved from Amazon 11/14/11]

In Nice to recover the Queen's stolen snuff box, Lady Georgiana Rannoch participates in a Coco Chanel fashion show where a necklace also belonging to the Queen goes missing, forcing her to search for both priceless items and solve a murder.

116 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,468,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible