Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Shatter Me (2011)

by Tahereh Mafi

Series: Shatter Me (1)

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.

English (297)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (304)
The writing style is what really made this book for me. Mafi has a beautiful way with words and she is able to build such a strong rhythm with her prose in emotional scenes. Totally in love! ( )
  HillaryFredrick | Nov 4, 2020 |
Incredible story.
Not easy to read in the beginning as you are in the heroine's head with her thoughts which are really disjoined and paranoid as she's been in solitary for some time with no human touch for even longer.

You need to read the rest of the series, this is just the beginning.

Warner is amazing, your average lovable psychopath. ( )
  izzied | Oct 29, 2020 |
I'm changing this from a 3 to 4 star review - from reading it mid last year to reading it again now - I enjoyed this so much more now than then. Though it still had some points I did not enjoy - it just entertained me better this time - the strikethroughs were a bit more confusing to follow through when listening through audio so that was a bit more to concentrate on - but I liked the audio a lot so perhaps that's why it gets another star - I still love Kenji the most out of the whole book - I can't wait to find out what happens next. ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |
A very interesting book! I'm not sure if I want to finish the series, because it threw you into the special formatting right off the bat with...not a lot of explanation until about 30 pages in. Fine, whatever. It was a good book, though, fairly solid writing. ( )
  m_mozeleski | Aug 22, 2020 |
Series Info/Source: This is the first book in the Shatter Me series. I got this as an audiobook from Audible.com.

Audiobook Quality (2/5): This wasn’t the best audiobook. The narrator uses a sort of “little girl” voice for Juliette and sometimes her voices for other characters were too similar to discern from each other. Additionally, they use a scritching noise to show that something Juliette is thinking has been scratched out (which is done in the book). This noise is incredibly annoying. Juliette also repeats herself...a lot. I almost stopped listening to this after listening to the narrator repeat "I am not insane" for like 5 minutes straight….it almost made me insane.

Story (2/5): I wasn't a fan of this one. Not a lot happens in this story and it is incredibly predictable. Basically Juliette escapes an institution and joins a rebel group; does that sound like a million other YA dystopian novels to anyone else? Oh wait she has super powers too!!! Add to the above that this suddenly turns into an X-Men episode in the last couple chapters of the book and I was just done with it all. It was so silly and such a waste of time to listen to.

SPOILER ALERT
I also found it annoying that the first boy who can safely touch Juliette is the one she falls desperately in love with. It was super annoying that there is this big mystery about why some people can touch Juliette safely when it's incredibly obvious that only people who love her can touch her.
END SPOILER

Characters (2/5): Our lead heroine, Juliette, is overly dramatic and the language and metaphors she uses are dramatic to the point of silliness. She just came across as completely silly to me. I didn’t really like any of the other characters any better.

Setting (3/5): This is set in a sort of post-apocalyptic world where a political group called The Reestablishment has taken over. It’s pretty typical for a dystopian setting. We never find out a ton of detail about how The Reestablishment came to power. This was very focused on Juliette and her trying to adjust to her freedom and power. I would have liked to learn more about this world, especially things that would differentiate it from the many other dystopian novels out there.

Writing/Drawing Style (2/5): This writing style was not for me. Juliette speaks and thinks in very dramatic and outlandish metaphors. Everything is compared to something extreme and dire. There are plenty of quotes from this book in other Goodreads reviews, so I don’t feel a need to provide more examples. There is also a lot of repetition, especially in the first part of the story. I thought the whole thing moved too slowly and, when I look back at the story, there wasn’t a lot that actually happened. I do think some people will like the metaphors and language, it is different and artistic, but was definitely not for me.

My Summary (2/5): Overall this book and Mafi’s writing style were not for me. I did not like the writing style or how the audiobook was narrated. I thought the story was slow and predictable, and just didn’t offer any differences from a million other dystopian books out there. The parallels between the end of the book and X-men are incredibly stark and had me groaning a bit. I will not be reading any more of this series. ( )
  krau0098 | Aug 19, 2020 |

Tahereh Mafiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chatain, Jean-NoëlTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,691,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible