Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (216)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (218)
surprisingly good ( )
  hadeer | Jul 9, 2015 |
More reviews can be seen on my shared blog, Boricuan Bookworms

“You can’t touch me,” I whisper. I’m lying, is what I don’t tell him. He can touch me, is what I’ll never tell him. Please touch me, is what I want to tell him.
But things happen when people touch me. Strange things. Bad things.
Dead things.

The concept behind Shatter Me was amazing. A girl who’s only touch can kill a person? Amazing Breathtaking Captivating.

Juliette is such a great heroine. Through Tahereh Mafi’s writing, we get to feel what Juliette feels: anguish, despair, seclusion, and anger. This book is written as if it were Juliette’s diary (I presume), so we see crossed-out phrases that contrast what Juliette would like to say, and what she actually does. There’s already a small introduction to the “dystopian-esque” theme of the book. Here we see how Juliette feels she has to suppress her feelings. This book is so poetic. Tahereh Mafi uses words so masterfully. I couldn’t help but stop reading at times, and just marvel at the beauty of the figurative language.

I’ve got to admit, that although I fell in love with this book right away, I realize that I didn’t really appreciate the world building. The world building was sub-par in comparison to the story. I didn’t have enough explanation to feel satisfied with what was explained of the “dystopian” world.

Although I didn’t get enough explanation on the world, I did get an amazing paranormal explanation. The paranormal in this book was superb! About 60% into the book, you get all the answers you were searching for. I was mind-blown! It was something straight out of the likes of X-Men (my favorite superhero movies!).

My favorite aspect of the book? The Romance.

The romance in this book was totally drool-inducing. This is the kind of romance that’ll make you jump up and down, blush, giggle, and make wish you had a boyfriend like Adam (all of which are hard to do when you’re reading this book on an airplane!). Adam is the perfect boyfriend to Juliette. There’s very little he wouldn’t do for Juliette, and very little he wouldn’t risk protecting her.

“God, Juliette, I’d follow you anywhere. You’re the only good thing left in this world.”

Now, although Adam is completely AMAZING, I just can’t help but feel something for Warner. I feel like I’m going to hate Adam and fall head over heels for Warner in the next book!

Know what else I loved from this book? The characters.

Juliette, of course, is the definition of a badass heroine. She goes from scared and isolated, to strong and powerful. Adam is swoon-worthy. Warner is the antagonist you can’t seem to hate; the antagonist who’ll make your heart race. I couldn’t help but feel giggly around Kenji; his personality was so fun to see on an otherwise serious book. And, although he had virtually no page time, I even fell a little for Brendan!

I feel like I haven’t even touched the surface of what Shatter Me really was. Truth is, I can’t really tell you the awesomeness of this book without giving everything away!

My best advice for you: pick up the book!

Rating: 4 stars ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. First of all, the entire concept/idea is soooo great (I girl who can kill by touch) it's something that I had never ever read before. The plot and political events underlying the plot are also really well thought out, I mean the entire end of the world and problems with the environment are extremely accurate! Juliette and Adam are the cutest, plus the new characters in the end make me want to read the rest of the series to get to know them as well. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series! ( )
  Ericanneri | Jun 24, 2015 |
it keeps you on the edge of your seat and has a nice pace with a great love story. had me looking for the next one ( )
  silverdshay123 | Jun 23, 2015 |
I read the reviews and it appeared as though the writing style either irritated or wowed the reader. I'm in the latter demographic. the style was verbose and definitely poetic but even if that is not your thing, don't let that turn you off. I still recommend reading and finding out for yourself if the style is to your liking. I had to read about a chapter before I could soak it in and settle into the writing.

Juliette, our main character, had a pretty impressive gift. I wondered why her parents felt as they did toward her, even early on. They had to know before the "incident" to treat her so badly during her childhood. How did they know? where are they now?

The story line seemed to leave a few things unexplained. I found myself asking 'why' quite often. I have faith and hope that Ms. Mafi will elaborate more in the coming books in this saga. Why is the government doing this? Are all branches corrupt? questions about parents and siblings and what is the focus and main purpose of the resistance... lots of questions.

I loved Adam's character. Swoony boy alert. The sweet words from that boys mouth. Dear Lord.

And why are all the hot, swoony boys over 6ft tall...not that I'm complaining.

I found it funny, and that would be funny-odd not funny-haha, how much kissing went on especially while escaping. They were teenagers and teenagers seem to own an impressive amount of distracting hormones. but on the flip side, I understand why both of them having focused on these dreams, wants, hopes... and suddenly coming face-to-face with the bodily reality of said dreams come true? Yeah, I'd be kissing and sucking face on the run, too. I'm not even a teenager.

I am glad I took a chance to read for myself. The cover, while lovely, didn't match the tone of the book at all so don't be thrown by the white prom gown. Anyway, overall? I really enjoyed the story.

SIDE NOTE: I publicly thank my library for offering ebooks (overdrive media and Blio) with my library card online.Mmore libraries should do this! Ebooks wont replace the ink, spine, and huffable paper (I love the smell of books. Yes, I'm a self-proclaimed book huffer) but I'm still thankful for the ease and versatility that made this read possible. ( )
  fueledbycoffee | Jun 16, 2015 |
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,441,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible