Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

1,2782026,154 (3.92)30
Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (200)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (202)
I found the use and depth of descriptive language fascinating. The hyperbolic structure of some analogies was a touch much but succeeded in conveying the ideas well enough. I would venture to guess that a certain segment of personality thinks in pictures but have not yet taken the time to verify.

good characterization, good likability of characters, ok world-building, mythos has some weak places but not too painfully so.

overall 80% ( )
  jason9292 | Jan 25, 2015 |
Shatter Me is another 3-star dystopian novel that I read on the heels of Station Eleven. Whereas Station Eleven is a literary dystopian tale aimed at an adult audience, this is a young adult novel along the lines of Divergent. I was pleased with the promising ending, but was pretty irritated by the writing in the first three-quarters of the book. Imagine an entire novel written in the style of slam poetry with bunches of repetitive...repetitive...repetitive phrases and multitudes of over-the-top descriptions ("There are 400 cotton balls caught in my windpipe.") Fortunately, the author abandoned this writing style in the final stretch of the novel. Only then did it feel like she had finally settled into her skin, and was ready to give us the story we had all been waiting for. Because of the strong ending, I'm actually interested in the next two books in the trilogy. ( )
  kellifrobinson | Jan 7, 2015 |
Oh, this one is incredibly hard to review. My feelings are so mixed that I’m not even sure what to say. But, for sure, Shatter Me is one of the most uniquely written books. The style I liked to a point, although it got a little old and sometimes repetitive/ridiculous in comparisons. The marked out lines were interesting in the beginning. I didn’t see the point of them near the end. Don’t get me wrong, I liked Shatter Me. And to me it’s about a three star book. There were just things that irked me.

Juliette did get a little on my nerves. She would be too overdramatic at the wrong times, over things that weren’t really a big deal. And she would stop and kiss Adam at the wrong times, when it was much better to actually run because, y’know, soldiers and stuff. I didn’t really like Adam. He’s obsessively in love with Juliette, and he never even talked to her before when he kinda knew her as a child at school. I didn’t ship them as a couple. It just felt too odd.

The characters I did like were Warner, Kenji, and James. The three of them, I thought, were the most interesting because despite being less seen/talked about between Juliette and Adam, they had more personality. Without them, this book is just Juliette and Adam kissing and Juliette shattering, drowning, falling apart, and whatnot.

Anyway, Shatter Me isn’t that bad or the best thing I’ve ever read. There were good and bad things. I liked it the concept and will be looking forward to reading book two to see how things will unfold. ( )
  CinaChilders | Jan 3, 2015 |
Let them buy it themselves. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Dec 14, 2014 |
I wanted to love this book. I expected to love this book. I've heard really nothing but awesome things about it. I didn't love it. I did love the concept, but I think the problem I had was with the writing style. The story is told from Juliette's point of view & is written as her thoughts. Imagine if you something awesome happened to you & you were thinking "omg, omg, I can't believe it, I can't believe this is happening it's just so amazing & wonderful & I could die happy now." Well, that's how this book is written, and although it's realistic in the sense that that is how the character would process her thoughts, it actually annoyed me to no end. Obviously many other readers had no problem with this, so this is not something that would keep me from recommending the book, however it kept me from enjoying it, thus the 3 star rating. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 13, 2014 |
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,083,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible