Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (206)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (208)
DNF at 37%

This was actually painful to read. Kat Kennedy wrote a review in which she said: "Shat­ter Me, oth­er­wise known as: When Cre­ative Writ­ing Class Goes Wrong." She hit the nail on the head.

It's either that or like trying to read really, really bad fanfiction for pretty much any dystopian book ever.

Mafi actually has the makings of a pretty interesting story here and then completely bombs in the execution. The writing is ... well ... I'm pretty sure I covered that with my opening statement. Her characters are flat - they have absolutely no dimension to them. Juliette is every teen, dystopian heroine ever but worse. There is nothing likeable about her - there's nothing to relate to. Adam actually lacks a personality completely. He doesn't have one. At all. I'm not even joking. He is literally the token bad-boy love interest and that is as far as his character development seems to go. Warner is your typical too-good-looking-for-your-own-good Villain who is obviously going to end up number 3 in their epic love triangle. I'm upset that this book is so popular when this has been done so much better in much less popular books: Shadow and Bone, The Darkest Minds.

What's worse is that there is no discernible plot to this book. I might have carried on if I thought that the book was actually going in even a vague direction. It wasn't. It was just scene after scene of Juliette sniveling, Adam brooding and Warner being his evil-genius self.

So much potential with the plot and it's characters but it ends up as an Epic Fail. ( )
  LydiaLeigh257 | Apr 29, 2015 |
I really loved the characters in this book, I felt that the relationships were well constructed and that there was strong character development. Adam and Juliette's chemistry is very powerful and the main reason I couldn't put this book down. At the same time I couldn't fall completely head over heels for this book because of the very distracting writing style.

Full review: http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.com/2013/01/shatter-me.html ( )
  bpress | Apr 20, 2015 |
I almost didn't read this book after I picked it up from the library. I've kind of had my fill of the dystopian genre lately. But I had to have a physical book to take with the to the hospital, not my iPad, with the current book I was reading, so I grabbed this one figuring it would be an easy read.

It was. But it was better than I expected. The prose in this book was fabulous. I loved the word pictures that the author paints. The chemistry between the two main characters is palatable, it's done so well. The whole premise was interesting, and not too political, although I definitely see the setup for the second book to be more revolutionary.

The end was completely unexpected and cool. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |
This book was simply amazing. The writing was beautiful. Amazing quotes and descriptions. I loved the way it was written. It shows the difference between what we say and what we think. I found this aspect of the book incredibly fascinating and refreshing.

Highly recommended! One of the best books I've read this year. A wonderful debut novel for Tahereh. I can't wait to read the next one.

If you haven't read this book yet, what are you waiting for? ;) ( )
  Marie113 | Mar 31, 2015 |
Loved this book! X-men sort of feel to some parts. Can't wait for the next book! ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,148,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible