Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

1,1331937,229 (3.91)29
Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (190)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (192)
FINALLY FINISHED THIS DAMN THING
This book is so far my most serious case of dissapointment over a book - especially considering it is one of the most hyped books out there at the moment - and after finishing it I just wanted to throw it across the room. And I don't mean that in a good way.

The first pages of Shatter Me offer you an insight narrated by the protagonist on her feelings. Juliette can't touch anyone or else they'll die or be severly injured. She has been imprisioned in an asylum for months. The diary entries from Juliette were very depressing. I understood and thought to myself, this will surely pick up in the next pages.

But it didn't. Juliette is so tedious, I kept fliping through pages hoping to find one thing, at least one thing that would make me like this book but it was impossible. The whole book only expressed the same feelings over and over. Self indulgence, most of it.

Now let's talk about this ridiculous love intrest...... was Julliete really in love with Adam or was it just that he was the only one who ever in her whole life paid her the least bit of attention? That whole issue of ''oh my Julliete I have been in love with you for so long since we were little kids I wanted to touch you for so long omg babe I love you from afar'' just didn't stick with me.

SO MANY THINGS DON'T MAKE SENSE.

Such a shame because, if done correctly, this book could have been a bomb. I am not even spending money on the rest of the series. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
FINALLY FINISHED THIS DAMN THING

SO MANY THINGS DON'T MAKE SENSE.

sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
To be honest, when I first heard about this book I didn't really know if it was something for me. I also don't really like for the cover all that much. But then I found out that the author is a fellow hijabi, so I got the book and read it.

This is under dystopia, but I don't think you can really call it that. We never really see the outside world, so we really don't get to experience that aspect of the story. If I had to call it something, I guess it would be more of a supernatural, but not really, superhero, kind of at the end, romance, the hot and heavy, kind of book. Yea. That’s it. I’ll go with that.

The Good:

I think the writing will be a hit or miss thing with a lot of readers. I'm not a fan of present tense or overly pretty prose, but somehow how I liked it here. I think Mafi has a talent and I hope she continues to write more books. Hopefully, she calms down a bit with the metaphors, but it was good. I think the only reason why it works is because of the main character. Someone who is always by herself and reads a lot, might read this way.

Warner, I know that there is already a Team Adam and Team Warner thing, wow do I really hate those, but I liked him. As a villain. I already saw some of the spoilers for the next book, so I know there’s going to be a love triangle, but I’m going to hope that Warner continues doing him and doesn’t join in this whole love madness stuff. His love for Juliette isn’t real love, but an obsession to make himself more powerful. He’s stupid, but definitely a lot more interesting than everyone else in the novel.

The Okay:

While I didn’t mind the romance, it did feel kind of shallow. We’re told that Adam and Juliette liked each other as kids and stuff, but now that they’re older all they...no, all that Juliette can think of is how hot Adam is. I kind of wish they had more meaningful conversations about where they are. Sure they kiss a lot, but I would think that couples do more than that. I mean, when they said, “I love you,” to one another, I kind of didn’t buy it. Actually no, with Juliette I bought it. The fact that Adam was a childhood friend and he can touch her would definitely make her love him.

But Adam? I never understood why he felt the way he did. Yes, she did a lot of nice things and was misunderstood as a kid, but how did that feeling of admiration turn into love? Especially over three years of not seeing each other? How did that feeling make Adam join the Reestablishment?

You know, I think it’s actually an interesting point. Why did Adam join the Reestablishment? Because of Juliette? Come on now that doesn’t make sense. Plus the amount of planning and dedication to join the ranks just for a girl that you use to know? I have a heart too, I had crushes back in my heyday, but I wouldn’t join the army just to go find them. Especially an army that is apparently craycray enough to take every book ever written and destroy it. I also wouldn't get tattoos either. Perhaps Adam has a different side to him. Perhaps, he’s actually really okay with the Reestablishment and thinks they’re right? In any case, his love for Juliette doesn’t make sense.

When it came to Juliette’s powers, I was confused. I get that it’s like Rogue (who incidentally is my favourite character in X-Men), but she can’t touch people and she has super strength. The only two people who can touch her are Adam and Warner. I’m confused about her powers and I’m also confused if the power of love is the reason why she can be touched.

The plot was different than what I expected. I loved the beginning with Juliette in the asylum. I thought the ending was interesting with the superhero sort of angle, but everything in between didn’t really make much sense. Juliette gets captured and instead of finding out more of the Reestablishment, we get a mishmash of dinners, dress choosing, romance, and angst. Perhaps if Juliette saw how the people were being treated by the Reestablishment she’d be more against it, but it seems like she just doesn’t like Warner, so she’s against him and not the system. In fact, I don’t really understand the Reestablishment’s role here. We’re told that they want to get rid of all the books and start from scratch, but why didn’t we see any of that?

I kind of wish that was explained a bit more. The middle did seem all over the place.

The Bad
I don’t really like Adam. He’s too perfect and doesn’t have a lot of flaws. Wow..that sounds bad, I didn’t mean it like that. But I do want him to have some sort of depth to him, because there isn’t really much to go on from what I read. He’s hot and that’s the only thing established. Oh and he has a younger brother.

And that’s it.

I want him to feel real and not just be the perfect boy for the main character. This seems to be common theme with a lot of YA novels though, so I suppose this is normal. Maybe there is some depth to him, I dunno, but we clearly didn't see much of it here.

I also don’t like that Juliette has a reverse harem. She’s been starving for weeks, doesn’t eat much, and two of the guys love her and another one thinks she’s gorgeous. Bleh.

I think the biggest thing I had a problem with is the lack of awareness Juliette had. If someone didn't speak for a long time, they'd have trouble picking it up again. Also, she's been in the asylum for years, during that time many things changed in the world. The only thing we see that changed is the microwave and even then that was in passing. Juliette noticed a lot of things in the asylum, but not when she was outside of it.

Overall:

I think there is potential for a great series here and Mafi can write well, but there are also a lot of cliches. You have the perfect guy, the lead character who is too beautiful without knowing it, and the dreaded love triangle. (I really hope this doesn't happen in the next book.) *sigh*

I’ll still probably read Unravel Me to see if some of my questions get answered. Hopefully, we get to find out more about the world that Mafi created.

So while I think this book does have problems, I'm still interested in seeing what will happen next.

3 stars ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
It started out slow but got better as it went on. There are still a lot of questions left to be answered in subsequent books. ( )
  forsakenfates | Aug 25, 2014 |
I spent a good part of this book wanting to throw it at something. It was in parts as frustrating as it was fascinating. Barely 30 or so pages in I wasn't sure if this was going to be something I would like much at all. The writing style was very different. The stroke throughs were rather irritating.

The prose were at the same time brilliant but confusing as hell. Given the main character's affliction, its understandable the state of her mind is all over the place. The plot does progress and it was not a comfortable read at all.

What she goes through is almost unbearable to read. Coupled with the strange prose and shut in nightmarish feeling. But the plot does pick up and it turned out to be better than I thought. I ended up finishing it in two days because I couldn't put it down.

And I loved the ending. Can't wait to see where that goes. Can't say its one of the best dystopians I have ever read, but its certainly got me hooked enough to want to read the next one. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible