Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (242)  German (3)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (247)
Review so far at page 178.
I'm not a fan! Not at all. I read such good reviews about this book, so I bought the whole set and now I am definitely regretting it. The beginning was nice, and I was hoping this would be something different. Alas was I wrong. Very quickly this turned into another dystopian novel with horny teenagers and survival story. Is there nothing else to write about? Also I am not the fan of the style of writing. At first I thought it was different and interesting, but the constant repetition of words quickly got very annoying. Now it just feels like a child wrote it. That said hopefully I will finish the book and see how I feel at the end, but so far it's barely at 2 stars for me.
Final review.
Good thing about this book- it reads very fast. But maybe because there are so many repetitions of words?! So unnecessary. I understand wanting a different style of writing, but this just feel weird, unedited, childish.
Also, Juliette? She's so exaggeratedly emotionally unstable it's laughable. I can't decide if she is lacking personality or if her personality is so annoying I can't even make it out.
I have to say things got a little more interesting towards the end, some unexpected turns made me continue reading. Also I paid for the book, so yeah. But it doesn't change a fact that this book is barely worth 2 stars. I think I am just tired of books about teenagers with raging hormones who can't keep their hands off each other. It gets old very quickly! To write a good book you don't have to put a steamy almost sex scenes in it, just saying.
Anyway, I will try reading the next book in this series, because once again I bought a whole set ( regrets, regrets), maybe it gets better ? I doubt it though.
A review of the whole series is now on my blog
http://ibubbleslife.blogspot.com/2016/12/shatter-me-trilogy-review.html ( )
  bookandsword | Jan 9, 2017 |
It was a great book. I loved everything about it. I was unsure of how I felt about the format and style of writing, but I think it added to the story. The paragraphs were short and I thought it represented how the protagonist thought. She was closed off so she was very quiet and the short phrases and sentences describedn the way she would talk. The story itself was very intense and it makes you want to read everything in one sitting. I didn't like how weak Juliette was in the beginning, but that was just how being locked up for years and called a monster did to her. It was also a great place to start and show how well her character slowly develops and strengthens. I would recommend this book to readers who are generally interested in young adult books, romance, dystopian and superpowers. ( )
  carolina0930 | Jan 8, 2017 |
AMAZING!!!!!! Can't wait to read the second one!!!!! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
Here is another one of those books I don't know why it took me so long to read. I loved it. Love the concept. Love the story. Love the characters. As for the style of writing, by the end of the book I decide I actually really like it. I can honestly say it was interesting and refreshing.

Juliette Ferrars cannot be touched without causing bodily harm and in some cases death. She grew up without the love, and support from her parents and was ostracized at school. At the age of 14 she was put in an asylum that's more like a prison. She has no one to talk to and thinks of herself as a monster. But with all these experiences in Juliette's life she is strong and has an unbroken spirit. I love Juliette, she's so brave, she stands up for herself and is not afraid to speak her mind. Her interactions with Warner were the most fun for me, I was always afraid for her but loved that she told him what she thinks of him without fear.

It's normally not necessary for me to have non-literary books with imagery and prose. Especially para-normal, sci-fi types, I don't believe those genres always need it. Shatter me being dystopia and sci-fi themed would have probably been fine without all the creative and imagery writing; but with the theme of the story it really helped to show the turmoil Juliette has held inside her all her life. To me the style of writing used showed Juliette's way of dealing, she didn't get to speak out loud much to anyone even before the asylum, and was probably mostly in her own head all the time. I think some of the things she thinks is things she wants to forget, take back, afraid to say, or wish for. Juliette used to read a lot and writes in a book to not forget words, I think she loves words, and life and nature and her thoughts show that in the writing style used.

I love Adam, he's a sweetheart and he's really good for Juliette and brings something she's been needing all her life. Can't wait to see what he learns about himself from the Omega Point (A rebel organization).

Warner confused me, mostly my thoughts and feelings about him. It's clear he's a dangerous guy, but he was so charming and sweet at times, I have to snap myself out of incoming swoons. He's really scary but some of things he did for Juliette when she first arrived at his headquarters I believe did help to keep her safe.

With well thought out characters, and captivating writing, Shatter Me has set itself up to be a very compelling series. Shatter me was a beautiful story all on it's own, I was drawn in immediately and was riveted to the pages. It was sad at parts, made me angry (for what Juliette had to experience), made me tense, made me relax, but most of all it made me smile. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |
  iwhslibrary | Sep 23, 2016 |
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

368 wanted4 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,510,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible