Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (219)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (221)
Shatter Me, Shatter Me, what shall I say about you? You may get the award for "most intriguing plot smothered with the most annoying prose" and yet I still like you. At first I enjoyed the descriptions. They were lyrical. They were evocative. They painted emotions with words.

And then it started to distract me from the story. That was hard to do because this is the story of a girl who is locked in an insane asylum, alone for almost a year with nothing but a tiny notebook to scratch down her frazzled thoughts, a girl who cannot touch or be touched because her skin is deadly. I was drawn in immediately and bought into the story, the world-building, and the characters. I loved it all.

My biggest hangup however, and the thing that very nearly killed the book for me, was the dang purple prose. According to Wikipedia, the definition of purple prose is:

...written prose that is so extravagant, ornate, or flowery as to break the flow and draw excessive attention to itself. Purple prose is sensually evocative beyond the requirements of its context. It may also employ certain rhetorical effects such as exaggerated sentiment or pathos in an attempt to manipulate a reader's response.

See also, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi.

Juliette could never just be surprised by something. Her jaw was always "dangling from her shoelaces" or becoming debris on the floor or swinging in the breeze. This annoyed me more than I expected it to, and I started rolling my eyes when I should have been enjoying the story.

With that being said, however, I still recommend this book because the plot was strong and the last portion of the book took the storyline in a direction I completely didn't expect. Suddenly I was getting excited to read the sequel, when midway through I just wanted it to be over. My main goal in writing this review now is to encourage someone who is is turned off by the prose, but otherwise enjoys the concept, to stick with it. The next two books (one is a novella called Destroy Me) were so much better and the author does tone the prose down quite a bit.

I'm actually surprised to find myself fully invested in the series and really looking forward to the third book. This is one of those books that's worth getting through because the series only goes up from here.

KirSio | Aug 31, 2015 |
Some very beautiful sentences that made me think "hmmmm" or "I know how that feels" but I found Julliete to be one dimensional. All she cares about is Adam. That gets boring after a while. Maybe future books will provide more character development. ( )
  PiperUp | Aug 14, 2015 |
First of all a big shoutout to Mada for loving it and recommending it to me. I see where you're coming from.

The story on it's own was entertaining, but the writing style was murder. I had only two complaints in that department but as those two things encompassed the entire novel I have to say they've taken away from the reading experience.

Problem number one. The striketrough text.

I have seen the blurb, yes, but I disregarded the striketrough as something limited to the marketing of the novel. I didn't give it a second thought. So I went online and got it. Started reading it and I honestly thought that I have somehow got the pre-edited version. I thought someone mistakenly made the wrong file available for download.

I understand the intention behind it. The things that we think, compared to the things that we say from time to time. It's not limited to Juliette, nor it's the first time it has been put in writing. It's just that I am used to seeing conflicted internal monologue displayed in other forms, mainly italic, not striketrough. For the life of me I couldn't focus. I kept thinking that these were internal notes the author was leaving for herself, to go back to and amend. Visually it was like looking at somebody's notebook and all the corrections they've made. It LOOKED like the novel is riddled with mistakes.

Second problem was the dreaded Purple Prose. In my personal taste there is a balance between being eloquent and waxing poetic for the sake of making your character sound grand and refined. The latter usually backfires. If you use it sparingly and apply it to highlight key emotional moments the effect is staggering, leaving the particular quote burned in your mind like a brand. If you choose to write the entire novel, you wind up filling the pages with contradictory terms that break the focus and often lead away from the plot. Take Juliette's imprisonment for an example. I couldn't experience it as something bad because the sugary way of speech made me think she was falling in love with the place. If you take in account that she's seventeen and been trough a shitload of problems, it doesn't add up. I know that she has seen some cruelty and that it can affect the mind, but for fucks sake “drops of water that gather like pearls on his eyelashes”? And every sentence is exactly the same??? Every time she would launch in a monologue I was like....

The only person I could connect to was Warner, and him being a murderous psycho with massive daddy issues tells you something about everyone else. Adam the true love interest was bland as porridge, and equally interesting. Warner at least had some depth of character. Yes he was a bit not quite right in the head but it worked for him. I liked it. Overall the plot would have developed a bit more faster I think if Juliette didn't write an Ode every time she went to the toilet.

As a YA novel the plot was good, but not something we haven't seen before. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
surprisingly good ( )
  hadeer | Jul 9, 2015 |
More reviews can be seen on my shared blog, Boricuan Bookworms

“You can’t touch me,” I whisper. I’m lying, is what I don’t tell him. He can touch me, is what I’ll never tell him. Please touch me, is what I want to tell him.
But things happen when people touch me. Strange things. Bad things.
Dead things.

The concept behind Shatter Me was amazing. A girl who’s only touch can kill a person? Amazing Breathtaking Captivating.

Juliette is such a great heroine. Through Tahereh Mafi’s writing, we get to feel what Juliette feels: anguish, despair, seclusion, and anger. This book is written as if it were Juliette’s diary (I presume), so we see crossed-out phrases that contrast what Juliette would like to say, and what she actually does. There’s already a small introduction to the “dystopian-esque” theme of the book. Here we see how Juliette feels she has to suppress her feelings. This book is so poetic. Tahereh Mafi uses words so masterfully. I couldn’t help but stop reading at times, and just marvel at the beauty of the figurative language.

I’ve got to admit, that although I fell in love with this book right away, I realize that I didn’t really appreciate the world building. The world building was sub-par in comparison to the story. I didn’t have enough explanation to feel satisfied with what was explained of the “dystopian” world.

Although I didn’t get enough explanation on the world, I did get an amazing paranormal explanation. The paranormal in this book was superb! About 60% into the book, you get all the answers you were searching for. I was mind-blown! It was something straight out of the likes of X-Men (my favorite superhero movies!).

My favorite aspect of the book? The Romance.

The romance in this book was totally drool-inducing. This is the kind of romance that’ll make you jump up and down, blush, giggle, and make wish you had a boyfriend like Adam (all of which are hard to do when you’re reading this book on an airplane!). Adam is the perfect boyfriend to Juliette. There’s very little he wouldn’t do for Juliette, and very little he wouldn’t risk protecting her.

“God, Juliette, I’d follow you anywhere. You’re the only good thing left in this world.”

Now, although Adam is completely AMAZING, I just can’t help but feel something for Warner. I feel like I’m going to hate Adam and fall head over heels for Warner in the next book!

Know what else I loved from this book? The characters.

Juliette, of course, is the definition of a badass heroine. She goes from scared and isolated, to strong and powerful. Adam is swoon-worthy. Warner is the antagonist you can’t seem to hate; the antagonist who’ll make your heart race. I couldn’t help but feel giggly around Kenji; his personality was so fun to see on an otherwise serious book. And, although he had virtually no page time, I even fell a little for Brendan!

I feel like I haven’t even touched the surface of what Shatter Me really was. Truth is, I can’t really tell you the awesomeness of this book without giving everything away!

My best advice for you: pick up the book!

Rating: 4 stars ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,146,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible