Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

1,1001907,545 (3.92)29
Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (186)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (188)
I spent a good part of this book wanting to throw it at something. It was in parts as frustrating as it was fascinating. Barely 30 or so pages in I wasn't sure if this was going to be something I would like much at all. The writing style was very different. The stroke throughs were rather irritating.

The prose were at the same time brilliant but confusing as hell. Given the main character's affliction, its understandable the state of her mind is all over the place. The plot does progress and it was not a comfortable read at all.

What she goes through is almost unbearable to read. Coupled with the strange prose and shut in nightmarish feeling. But the plot does pick up and it turned out to be better than I thought. I ended up finishing it in two days because I couldn't put it down.

And I loved the ending. Can't wait to see where that goes. Can't say its one of the best dystopians I have ever read, but its certainly got me hooked enough to want to read the next one. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
I liked it a lot- until I hit the X-men rip off. I know the whole concept is x-menish but when you get to the compound it escalates from there. I give it 4 stars for the writing style and because I did enjoy it mostly. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
While not as strong as some of the other YA dystopian novels published lately (but really, it's pretty hard to compete with Hunger Games), Shatter Me still provides a pretty intense read. Juliette's world has gone down a path it's not hard to see our own world going down - man-made climate change causing strange weather patterns, chemicals introduced into the soil causing plants and animals to die and people to experience food shortages. And then there's Juliette, who can electrocute people by touch. Considered a danger to society, she's locked up in an institution - until she encounters Adam. An engaging read and I look forward to continuing the series. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Massively disappointing.
I've been looking for a YA book series that really mesmerizes me for so long, and "Shatter Me" has received so much praise that I couldn't just NOT read it. The story revolves around Juliette, who has a special gift that makes her interesting for pretty much everyone in the novel. It's a dystopia, so of course it takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland that's being fought over by two rivaling groups. What annoyed me the most about the plot, is that every two chapters it is put massive emphasis on how beautiful and goodhearted and pretty she is but yet she does not know it- therefore everyone falls for her.
Literally every single male character her age expresses romantic interest in her at least once and compliments her. I'm having a hard time sympathizing with superficial characters. The books that I like usually don't spend much time explaining eye colours and hair flowing down in chocolate rivers. I want to sympathize with the characters for the character's sake, not for their looks! Of course shortly after the first chapters, another guy in addition to the token love interest gets thrown in, and we have the typical YA love triangle:

On the one hand the sweetheart Adam that she's been in love with Juliette forever for god knows whatever reason, since they spoke about 15 sentences total before they said I love you. Yeah. And then we have Warner, the villain, that bad guy who most likely secretely has a good heart and is obsessed with her. I don't need to continue reading the series to know that he's probably gonna go through character development, turn out to be not so bad and Juliette is torn between the two. Yuck. This is simply bad plotting. And lazy writing to be honest.
Some authors are able to fascinate people with their word choice, some do with massive world building or nice imagery. But Tahereh Mafi doesn't seem to bother, whenever she wants to emphasize something, she just repeats repeats repeats repeats the word. And this annoys annoys annoys after a while and so do the crossed out sentences.

It's just not my thing, the story is a mixture of the love triangles from the LJ Smith's Vampire Novels and the setting reminds me way too much of The Host. It's just nothing special about it and Juliette is not a character I could connect emotionally with. She's the epitome of a Mary Sue. I've read fan fiction with better characters. Though it's not an entirely bad novel, I wouldn't recommend reading it. Especially if you're looking for a nice YA dystopia, it's not worth the hype.

More reviews on my blog. www.bookavid.tumblr.com ( )
  bookavid | Aug 8, 2014 |
If the X-Men Universe revolved around Rogue and took place in a future, dystopian society, it might read something like this book. I'm good for superheroes, so this worked well with me, but I think it was the connection between Juliette and Adam that held me closest to this book.

And I think I'll give Adam my 'Best Book Boyfriend Award' to hold onto for now. Gorgeous, smart and caring all bundled up into a dedicated and talented soldier. I'm good for that, even if I have to admit that he's almost too perfect. So I'm a bit picky.

Probably the only thing I didn't like too much was the ending, as I found it too fast and slightly unbelievable on Juliette's part after everything she goes through. Other than that, I look forward to picking up the sequel as I thoroughly enjoyed Mafi's writing style which I found to be an uplifting and beautifully written change from the many devoid-of-any-and-all-original-style young adult fiction that I have read before.
  Musefall | Jul 28, 2014 |
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,258,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible