Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (218)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (220)
Shatter Me is the story of Juliette. A girl who's been locked up for years because of the terrifying ability to kill people with her touch. However, her life changes in an instant when she's taken out of her locked room by a man who is looking to use her ability to as a weapon to fuel his power.

I'm not even sure where to being, really. This book has a very interesting, albeit not exactly unique, premise. It has a vaguely interesting, although again not unique, dystopian world setup. However, it fails so spectacularly on everything else that it honestly doesn't matter. It doesn't help that the book doesn't seem to think those two things matter, either.

The writing is something you'll either love or hate. I personally hated it with every fiber of my being. There were sentences that waxed poetic about irrelevant things, like the fact someone was wearing clothing. There were multiple paragraphs filled with metaphors dedicated to Juliette's feelings which were then completely discarded by the next paragraph. There were sentences meant to be filled with passion and young love, only they sounded more like they came out of an early copy of Fifty Shades of Grey. I cringed and laughed my way through the ridiculousness of it. I could have forgave it if the book was meant to be full of beautiful imagery or psychological insight into a teenage girl who suffered terrible trauma. Sadly, none of these applied. The world was a generic dystopian stereotype, a psychosis of the main character which is implied but never really mentioned and the character didn't have any backstory or clue to why she would be speaking this way. It came off as pretentious and overtly obnoxious most of the time.

This book also suffers from a severe case of YA drama stereotypes. Which are including but not limited to, two main characters falling in "Insta-Love" despite not having any real interaction beforehand, the main character being inexplicably attractive to every male character that she crosses, sexual tension between the 'bad guy' and the main character despite multiple assault and one dubiously close-to-rape scene, the character having one flaw but is seemingly perfect at everything else, boring generic 'nice guy with no personality' love interest, male friend of love interest being flirty constantly with main character, main character seems to have lost her ability to actually think because the plot says so and, my personal favorite, lose all ambition to live (or in this case, survive) without the man you barely know.

The characters themselves fare no better. The main character, Juliette, is pretty self-insert written in the vein of Bella from Twilight. She has no real personality and she doesn't effect the plot so much as do things to move it forward. Her inner dialogue rarely goes outside of "I'm full of angst" and "I want to do the horizontal tango with this guy". She has nothing that makes her unique, sans the whole 'kill people with her touch' bit, yet men fall at her feet like she's the second coming. Speaking of, our male lead, the best way of describing him is 'generic'. He's a strong. He's nice. He's hot. And he will do anything to protect Juliette. Oh and he conveniently isn't effected by her 'kill people with touch' power. He really doesn't have that much personality outside of 'love interest'. Our main bad guy has a bit of personality and backstory but I fear it's just to make the reader feel less bad about the whole 'Juliette might also have the hots for him' bit. You can't make him TOO evil, otherwise you might take away all that sweet sexual tension that the writer seems to think the readers want.

There were a few more characters but they didn't appear until the end and only served as a way to further the plot, so I feel no need to mention them here.

Overall, I disliked this book for many reasons. The biggest being this COULD have been a decent book. If you removed the invasive and pointless romance and used that time to supply more character moments or backstory. If the writing didn't come off as pretentious and hard to read. If the events happened naturally and not because 'the plot says so'. The potential was there but it's so far out of reach that I can't even imagine this book series getting even remotely better in my eyes. Which, of course, is not helped by the conclusion of the book. Juliette putting on clothes followed by a couldn't-get-any-more-generic line, "I'm Ready."

Yes, Juliette. I'm ready as well.

Ready to stop reading your story. ( )
  SleepyMonster | Sep 21, 2015 |
Some very beautiful sentences that made me think "hmmmm" or "I know how that feels" but I found Julliete to be one dimensional. All she cares about is Adam. That gets boring after a while. Maybe future books will provide more character development. ( )
  PiperUp | Aug 14, 2015 |
First of all a big shoutout to Mada for loving it and recommending it to me. I see where you're coming from.

The story on it's own was entertaining, but the writing style was murder. I had only two complaints in that department but as those two things encompassed the entire novel I have to say they've taken away from the reading experience.

Problem number one. The striketrough text.

I have seen the blurb, yes, but I disregarded the striketrough as something limited to the marketing of the novel. I didn't give it a second thought. So I went online and got it. Started reading it and I honestly thought that I have somehow got the pre-edited version. I thought someone mistakenly made the wrong file available for download.

I understand the intention behind it. The things that we think, compared to the things that we say from time to time. It's not limited to Juliette, nor it's the first time it has been put in writing. It's just that I am used to seeing conflicted internal monologue displayed in other forms, mainly italic, not striketrough. For the life of me I couldn't focus. I kept thinking that these were internal notes the author was leaving for herself, to go back to and amend. Visually it was like looking at somebody's notebook and all the corrections they've made. It LOOKED like the novel is riddled with mistakes.

Second problem was the dreaded Purple Prose. In my personal taste there is a balance between being eloquent and waxing poetic for the sake of making your character sound grand and refined. The latter usually backfires. If you use it sparingly and apply it to highlight key emotional moments the effect is staggering, leaving the particular quote burned in your mind like a brand. If you choose to write the entire novel, you wind up filling the pages with contradictory terms that break the focus and often lead away from the plot. Take Juliette's imprisonment for an example. I couldn't experience it as something bad because the sugary way of speech made me think she was falling in love with the place. If you take in account that she's seventeen and been trough a shitload of problems, it doesn't add up. I know that she has seen some cruelty and that it can affect the mind, but for fucks sake “drops of water that gather like pearls on his eyelashes”? And every sentence is exactly the same??? Every time she would launch in a monologue I was like....

The only person I could connect to was Warner, and him being a murderous psycho with massive daddy issues tells you something about everyone else. Adam the true love interest was bland as porridge, and equally interesting. Warner at least had some depth of character. Yes he was a bit not quite right in the head but it worked for him. I liked it. Overall the plot would have developed a bit more faster I think if Juliette didn't write an Ode every time she went to the toilet.

As a YA novel the plot was good, but not something we haven't seen before. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
surprisingly good ( )
  hadeer | Jul 9, 2015 |
More reviews can be seen on my shared blog, Boricuan Bookworms

“You can’t touch me,” I whisper. I’m lying, is what I don’t tell him. He can touch me, is what I’ll never tell him. Please touch me, is what I want to tell him.
But things happen when people touch me. Strange things. Bad things.
Dead things.

The concept behind Shatter Me was amazing. A girl who’s only touch can kill a person? Amazing Breathtaking Captivating.

Juliette is such a great heroine. Through Tahereh Mafi’s writing, we get to feel what Juliette feels: anguish, despair, seclusion, and anger. This book is written as if it were Juliette’s diary (I presume), so we see crossed-out phrases that contrast what Juliette would like to say, and what she actually does. There’s already a small introduction to the “dystopian-esque” theme of the book. Here we see how Juliette feels she has to suppress her feelings. This book is so poetic. Tahereh Mafi uses words so masterfully. I couldn’t help but stop reading at times, and just marvel at the beauty of the figurative language.

I’ve got to admit, that although I fell in love with this book right away, I realize that I didn’t really appreciate the world building. The world building was sub-par in comparison to the story. I didn’t have enough explanation to feel satisfied with what was explained of the “dystopian” world.

Although I didn’t get enough explanation on the world, I did get an amazing paranormal explanation. The paranormal in this book was superb! About 60% into the book, you get all the answers you were searching for. I was mind-blown! It was something straight out of the likes of X-Men (my favorite superhero movies!).

My favorite aspect of the book? The Romance.

The romance in this book was totally drool-inducing. This is the kind of romance that’ll make you jump up and down, blush, giggle, and make wish you had a boyfriend like Adam (all of which are hard to do when you’re reading this book on an airplane!). Adam is the perfect boyfriend to Juliette. There’s very little he wouldn’t do for Juliette, and very little he wouldn’t risk protecting her.

“God, Juliette, I’d follow you anywhere. You’re the only good thing left in this world.”

Now, although Adam is completely AMAZING, I just can’t help but feel something for Warner. I feel like I’m going to hate Adam and fall head over heels for Warner in the next book!

Know what else I loved from this book? The characters.

Juliette, of course, is the definition of a badass heroine. She goes from scared and isolated, to strong and powerful. Adam is swoon-worthy. Warner is the antagonist you can’t seem to hate; the antagonist who’ll make your heart race. I couldn’t help but feel giggly around Kenji; his personality was so fun to see on an otherwise serious book. And, although he had virtually no page time, I even fell a little for Brendan!

I feel like I haven’t even touched the surface of what Shatter Me really was. Truth is, I can’t really tell you the awesomeness of this book without giving everything away!

My best advice for you: pick up the book!

Rating: 4 stars ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

289 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,786,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible