Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Recently added bysiquebella, nycke137, Musefall, sreeparna, Barb2073, silentblackstar, private library

English (183)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (185)
If the X-Men Universe revolved around Rogue and took place in a future, dystopian society, it might read something like this book. I'm good for superheroes, so this worked well with me, but I think it was the connection between Juliette and Adam that held me closest to this book.

And I think I'll give Adam my 'Best Book Boyfriend Award' to hold onto for now. Gorgeous, smart and caring all bundled up into a dedicated and talented soldier. I'm good for that, even if I have to admit that he's almost too perfect. So I'm a bit picky.

Probably the only thing I didn't like too much was the ending, as I found it too fast and slightly unbelievable on Juliette's part after everything she goes through. Other than that, I look forward to picking up the sequel as I thoroughly enjoyed Mafi's writing style which I found to be an uplifting and beautifully written change from the many devoid-of-any-and-all-original-style young adult fiction that I have read before.
  Musefall | Jul 28, 2014 |
Juliette is a monster, or at least she feels like it. Her parents gave her up the second they could like if she were just another pair of shoes that needed tossing and she ended up in an insane asylum where she was placed in isolation for more than a year. Having gotten by without going completely insane she receives a new cell mate named Alex. super sexy with tattoos batboy type Alex with the striking blue eyes looks so familiar it can’t be true, first reacts hostile towards her but soon she finds that he may be her only way out…but at a cost.

If I go any further that would make the review so spoilery and I’m actually trying to avoid that (yay me!) so let’s leave it at that.

The plot was so intriguing and the world building was slow and steady but the romance aspect of the story kind of took over too many times for my taste. One minute it became a romance novel then the next I was reading about a dystopia…It kind of threw me off.

The good bits were actually the world building but since the first novel the author clearly decided that the romance was more important to develop first which is a shame because it would have made this a lot more interesting.

Honestly I don’t really know what to feel. The first novel was wrapped up so nicely it almost felt like a stand alone that I didn’t really feel like reading the other books was so important but since I already have them lying around waiting to be read I guess I’ll give it a go. ( )
  Jessika.C | Jul 10, 2014 |
As soon as I read the summary for Shatter Me, I knew this was a book I just had to read. The premise was too intriguing to pass up, and it sounded exactly like my kind of book.

The writing is unique and experimental, which I appreciated. At first, it was hard for me to get into Juliette’s, the main character, head because of the writing style, but as I became engrossed in her story the writing just sort of fell away and what was left was a beautiful, if haunting at times, look at a character who has endured so much. I really enjoyed the exploration of Juliette’s humanity and how she came to embrace it over time. When we meet Juliette, she is, understandably, quite a wreck. She hasn’t had human contact in so long, hasn’t spoke for over 200 days, and has quite a heavy case of a personal crisis. By the end, Juliette interacts with people and realizes what kind of purpose she may have. The writing is a little over-the-top, so I can see where people don't like it, but it didn't bother me.

The story is fast-paced and well-plotted for the most part, but the thing that keeps this from being a 5 star book for me is mainly the way the book ended. By the time I reached the end, I felt all I had read was the set-up for a more interesting story. While I’m definitely excited about the sequels for Shatter Me, I have to admit that after reading, it just all seemed like an introduction for anything that could happen in the next books. There’s a few events that take place at the end that I would have enjoyed more if those plot developments had taken place in the middle of the book and had been explored more before the last page.

Final Impression: It’s an unique story that won’t appeal to everyone, but I loved seeing this new world through Juliette’s view. I wish this book had been developed a little more and seemed like less of a springboard for future novels, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. 4/5 stars.

Review originally posted on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book so much more than I expected. When I first started reading it, I didn't know how I would feel about the way the writing was done, with words and sentences crossed out. But the more I read the more I liked it, understood it.

This review may contain some spoilers. You have been warned! I am not one that usually has spoilers but it's kind of hard not too.

I really like Juliette. I have seen reviews were others call her whiny, but who wouldn't be if they were locked up. Not speaking for 264 days! Yes 264 days.. Stuck in her own mind. Not able to touch another person in fear of killing them. She isn't a killer. She has compassion. She just wants to be normal in a world that isn't very normal to begin with.

She's locked away in a insane asylum. Stuck in her head everyday. No human companionship until they assign her a cellmate. A boy. One that's eyes look strangely familiar. One that makes her more than anything wish she could touch another. To feel another person's embrace.
She is stronger than she knows.

Adam doesn't know why everyone fears Juliette, he just knows he has to save her. He is stuck in the asylum with her. Thinking she doesn't remember him. He's been in love with her since they were kids. Always taking up for her when no one else would. Yet they have never spoken until he is her cellmate, then later on the one in charge of watching her. Keeping her under his guard.
I love Adam. He is kind and fierce. Will fight for what he loves.

"There's very little I wouldn't do for you."

Juliette is released from one prison and sent to another because of Warner. Leader of sector 45. He makes a deal with her; help him torture others or be killed. At first she fights back until she sees that Adam is being punished when she lashes out.

I hate Warner. I see times of compassion within him and then he keeps talking and kills it. Maybe it's because I like Adam so fiercely. If Warner would just listen to her and see she hates who she is, the power he wants her to use so bad then maybe I could be conflicted. There is one scene when I wish I could rip him to pieces.

This story made me feel so much more than I expected and I am entranced. Ready to find out more and where their stories will lead. This is not just a dystopian story but also romance. which of course is my kind of story. :) But who will she choose? The man that has always loved her? Or the man who is obsessed with her, but loves her in his own way?
I think it is possible for the story to go either way. I thought there was no way she could not choose Adam but I think her and Warner have more of a connection than she wants to admit to herself. ( )
  Mommy.Reads.What | Jun 22, 2014 |

She is stronger than she knows.

I love Adam. He is kind and fierce. Will fight for what he loves.

"There's very little I wouldn't do for you."

Mommy.Reads.What | Jun 22, 2014 |
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,646,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible