Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (240)  German (3)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (245)
AMAZING!!!!!! Can't wait to read the second one!!!!! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
Here is another one of those books I don't know why it took me so long to read. I loved it. Love the concept. Love the story. Love the characters. As for the style of writing, by the end of the book I decide I actually really like it. I can honestly say it was interesting and refreshing.

Juliette Ferrars cannot be touched without causing bodily harm and in some cases death. She grew up without the love, and support from her parents and was ostracized at school. At the age of 14 she was put in an asylum that's more like a prison. She has no one to talk to and thinks of herself as a monster. But with all these experiences in Juliette's life she is strong and has an unbroken spirit. I love Juliette, she's so brave, she stands up for herself and is not afraid to speak her mind. Her interactions with Warner were the most fun for me, I was always afraid for her but loved that she told him what she thinks of him without fear.

It's normally not necessary for me to have non-literary books with imagery and prose. Especially para-normal, sci-fi types, I don't believe those genres always need it. Shatter me being dystopia and sci-fi themed would have probably been fine without all the creative and imagery writing; but with the theme of the story it really helped to show the turmoil Juliette has held inside her all her life. To me the style of writing used showed Juliette's way of dealing, she didn't get to speak out loud much to anyone even before the asylum, and was probably mostly in her own head all the time. I think some of the things she thinks is things she wants to forget, take back, afraid to say, or wish for. Juliette used to read a lot and writes in a book to not forget words, I think she loves words, and life and nature and her thoughts show that in the writing style used.

I love Adam, he's a sweetheart and he's really good for Juliette and brings something she's been needing all her life. Can't wait to see what he learns about himself from the Omega Point (A rebel organization).

Warner confused me, mostly my thoughts and feelings about him. It's clear he's a dangerous guy, but he was so charming and sweet at times, I have to snap myself out of incoming swoons. He's really scary but some of things he did for Juliette when she first arrived at his headquarters I believe did help to keep her safe.

With well thought out characters, and captivating writing, Shatter Me has set itself up to be a very compelling series. Shatter me was a beautiful story all on it's own, I was drawn in immediately and was riveted to the pages. It was sad at parts, made me angry (for what Juliette had to experience), made me tense, made me relax, but most of all it made me smile. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |
  iwhslibrary | Sep 23, 2016 |
So I'm torn...on one hand I really liked this story and on the other I hated the writing. The ridiculous amount of metaphors were distracting and the strikethrough sentences were annoying. I also didn't care for Juliette's character in the first half because she was just whiny and too self pitying, but thankfully she got it together. And as much I enjoyed the story I probably won't spend the money or time to finish the rest of the series. ( )
  Tabatha014 | Aug 16, 2016 |
“His smile is laced with dynamite. “Go to sleep”
“Go to hell.”
He works his jaw. Walks to the door. “I’m working on it.”
― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

This book has been one of my favorites for a while , and yes , i know . i know it got a fair amount of hate … but sometimes i enjoy cheesy books! don’t judge me okay! First of all … look at that beautiful cover! hands down , this series has the best covers of all time.

.large

The things i Loved :

Untitled

This is one of the books where all the characters are fun to read about .

Juliette , even though she cries a lot and comes across as weak , i liked her . and enjoyed seeing her journey through this story ( she gets better in the next books i promise!)

Kenji , Why do i feel like he is my best friend? damn he had me laughing so many times , and made me pray he won’t die . he is just adorable haha.

Warner , The guy who we love to hate ( or in my case , love to love) . if you know me and read my previous reviews then you know that i LOVE villains . so naturally the moment his character poped up , i was in love! i kept reading this book with one dominant thought in my head “what will he do next? when will he apear again?” . he’s complicated and interesting , always leaving you wanting more , whether it’s his dangerous actions or smart-ass remarks. this is how i imagined him:

13997272._SY540_

And because of Warner dear readers, i finished this book in one sitting.

Okay , one more:

large (2)

okay , i’m done , i promise.

Sans titre

One more thing that i enjoyed , was the world building , it was easy to imagine and feel . and i just loved the idea of this order that led the world , called The reestablishment , and the sectors ruled by the army , i also loved sector 45 .. Warner duh!

There is something about the world being divided and ruled by military personalities that make me enjoy stories more , it kind of gives you the feeling of order and domination , with the possibility of a rebellion happening , so you just stay there waiting for it to happen while admiring the current control . ( i hope it’s not just me)

bullet_hole_PNG6060

The ending:

I did like the ending , because something finally happened ! the story felt like it was the calm before the storm and i loved every second of it ( except few things that i will mention later) . we see a new side of Juliette , and Warner too , his reaction made it even better . and we see few superpowers, action! and a new group of people who will be a part of this story later on … even an element that makes us wonder…

i could recommend this book for just that ending honestly , it was so good.

Things i Hated:

v

i just wasn’t feeling it , it was boring and based on nothing , i felt like the author was trying so much to come up with an explanation for it , but honestly it felt like it was stupid , it really made no sense to me, “ oh i saw to him once when were kids now i know we are in love”! seriously!

and now , one of the main reason this book got criticized so much :

Sans titre

As i started this story there were moments where i felt like it was a bit boring , hearing Juliette’s thoughts wasn’t what you would call ” exciting” . i honestly considered giving up on this story . the pacing was only better at the end.

The writing style of this author was a bit weird , as if she was trying too hard to come across as different , when in reality it was plain weird, and not in a good way. here’s an example:

“I always wonder about raindrops.

I wonder about how they’re always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It’s like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn’t seem to care where the contents fall, doesn’t seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to tap on their doors
My parents emptied their pockets of me and left me to evaporate on a concrete slab.”

i also didn’t like the crossing words thing she does, but what ticked me off more was th crazy expressions that made me thing ” what the…”

example :
“Every organ in my body falls to the ground.”

“My jaw is dangling from my shoelace.”

“My mouth is sitting on my kneecaps.”

story-slide-16-shattering1

I would still recommend this book for the sake of the next books in the series, they are wonderful and worth reading , definitely different than this one , and they offer us more.

the novellas too! ( destroy me let’s us see the story from our villain’s perspective) ( )
  Spymer | Jul 30, 2016 |
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

368 wanted4 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,810,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible