Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (244)  German (3)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (249)
I didn't find anything unique about this story. I felt as if I had read it all before. Even the whole Striking things out non-stop. Which is passed annoying, by the way.
I felt like this was The Selection and Divergent mixed in to one with a few other books shoved in. I want to say I enjoyed the writing of the book, but that would be a lie. A major plus would have been if the strikes were left out. The strikes were completely pointless and most of the things she said made absolutely no sense. "I'm dripping red paint on the floor." ....Ummmm, what? Among other lines. I just couldn't get into it. I was looking for reasons to actually put it down so I wouldn't have to finish it. The only time it really got better were the last three chapters. I'm sorry, I personally would not recommend this book. Nor would I read book two. ( )
  FearStreetZombie | Apr 15, 2017 |
I really enjoyed the writing style of these book. As you can read from the back cover the main character is writing but also crossing out words so you have to weed through what it is what emotions the author is trying to convey. Which actually makes for an interesting read. Lots of movement combined with characters you want to know more about make for an enjoyable read. While some of the book is a little young - it is about teenagers and I haven't been a teenager for quite awhile and even when I was a teenager I was busy reading "adult" books so that's probably why I think the characters seemed a bit young. Even considering that it didn't take away my reading enjoyment. And I will be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
Review so far at page 178.
I'm not a fan! Not at all. I read such good reviews about this book, so I bought the whole set and now I am definitely regretting it. The beginning was nice, and I was hoping this would be something different. Alas was I wrong. Very quickly this turned into another dystopian novel with horny teenagers and survival story. Is there nothing else to write about? Also I am not the fan of the style of writing. At first I thought it was different and interesting, but the constant repetition of words quickly got very annoying. Now it just feels like a child wrote it. That said hopefully I will finish the book and see how I feel at the end, but so far it's barely at 2 stars for me.
Final review.
Good thing about this book- it reads very fast. But maybe because there are so many repetitions of words?! So unnecessary. I understand wanting a different style of writing, but this just feel weird, unedited, childish.
Also, Juliette? She's so exaggeratedly emotionally unstable it's laughable. I can't decide if she is lacking personality or if her personality is so annoying I can't even make it out.
I have to say things got a little more interesting towards the end, some unexpected turns made me continue reading. Also I paid for the book, so yeah. But it doesn't change a fact that this book is barely worth 2 stars. I think I am just tired of books about teenagers with raging hormones who can't keep their hands off each other. It gets old very quickly! To write a good book you don't have to put a steamy almost sex scenes in it, just saying.
Anyway, I will try reading the next book in this series, because once again I bought a whole set ( regrets, regrets), maybe it gets better ? I doubt it though.
A review of the whole series is now on my blog
http://ibubbleslife.blogspot.com/2016/12/shatter-me-trilogy-review.html ( )
  bookandsword | Jan 9, 2017 |
It was a great book. I loved everything about it. I was unsure of how I felt about the format and style of writing, but I think it added to the story. The paragraphs were short and I thought it represented how the protagonist thought. She was closed off so she was very quiet and the short phrases and sentences describedn the way she would talk. The story itself was very intense and it makes you want to read everything in one sitting. I didn't like how weak Juliette was in the beginning, but that was just how being locked up for years and called a monster did to her. It was also a great place to start and show how well her character slowly develops and strengthens. I would recommend this book to readers who are generally interested in young adult books, romance, dystopian and superpowers. ( )
  carolina0930 | Jan 8, 2017 |
AMAZING!!!!!! Can't wait to read the second one!!!!! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

368 wanted4 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,784,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible