Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (232)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (235)
Here is another one of those books I don't know why it took me so long to read. I loved it. Love the concept. Love the story. Love the characters. As for the style of writing, by the end of the book I decide I actually really like it. I can honestly say it was interesting and refreshing.

Juliette Ferrars cannot be touched without causing bodily harm and in some cases death. She grew up without the love, and support from her parents and was ostracized at school. At the age of 14 she was put in an asylum that's more like a prison. She has no one to talk to and thinks of herself as a monster. But with all these experiences in Juliette's life she is strong and has an unbroken spirit. I love Juliette, she's so brave, she stands up for herself and is not afraid to speak her mind. Her interactions with Warner were the most fun for me, I was always afraid for her but loved that she told him what she thinks of him without fear.

It's normally not necessary for me to have non-literary books with imagery and prose. Especially para-normal, sci-fi types, I don't believe those genres always need it. Shatter me being dystopia and sci-fi themed would have probably been fine without all the creative and imagery writing; but with the theme of the story it really helped to show the turmoil Juliette has held inside her all her life. To me the style of writing used showed Juliette's way of dealing, she didn't get to speak out loud much to anyone even before the asylum, and was probably mostly in her own head all the time. I think some of the things she thinks is things she wants to forget, take back, afraid to say, or wish for. Juliette used to read a lot and writes in a book to not forget words, I think she loves words, and life and nature and her thoughts show that in the writing style used.

I love Adam, he's a sweetheart and he's really good for Juliette and brings something she's been needing all her life. Can't wait to see what he learns about himself from the Omega Point (A rebel organization).

Warner confused me, mostly my thoughts and feelings about him. It's clear he's a dangerous guy, but he was so charming and sweet at times, I have to snap myself out of incoming swoons. He's really scary but some of things he did for Juliette when she first arrived at his headquarters I believe did help to keep her safe.

With well thought out characters, and captivating writing, Shatter Me has set itself up to be a very compelling series. Shatter me was a beautiful story all on it's own, I was drawn in immediately and was riveted to the pages. It was sad at parts, made me angry (for what Juliette had to experience), made me tense, made me relax, but most of all it made me smile. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
It is hard to really describe what I thought about Shatter Me. I'm totally in love with Juliette. Despite everything she has gone through, she is such an inherently good person. She'd rather everyone think she is crazy, or mean or antisocial than hurt anyone by letting them get close to her. I've come to be wary of any and every character in books, due to twist that authors like to surprise us with, so while I want to love Adam and dislike Warner, I'm just waiting patiently to see how things work out. Adam seems like the perfect guy. Handsome, kind, in love with the main heroine. But looks can be deceiving. I'll just keep waiting to see how things work out in this series. Still, it is different and intriguing and I would totally recommend Shatter Me to everyone. ( )
  bookharpy | Apr 19, 2016 |
I buddy read Shatter Me with Seann and Anna of YA Buddy Readers’ Corner ♥. I had fun, girls! Can’t wait to read more with you guys!

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Shatter Me is a book that has been on my TBR list for years, so I was excited—and terrified—to finally give it a shot. I have to say the experience was a real shock for me. It had all the classic hallmarks of a YA dud and it somehow became a book I couldn’t get enough of! What is the witchcraft?!

While I was reading this book, I never would have expected to give Shatter Me a rating above three stars. Let me explain why:

Purple. Prose. Oh god, guys, I had a real hard time with it in the beginning. It seemed like every sentence was flowery nonsense this and stupid metaphors this.Now, it’s totally fine here and there (well, sort of…) and I love a good metaphor as much as the next person, but after five chapters of nonstop flowery writing I just wanted to GET ON WITH THE STORY ALREADY.
Insta-love! I wasn’t as butt hurt about the insta-love as I was about the purple prose, but I wasn’t sold on it (at first). I had so many doubts about Juliette and Adam. View Spoiler »

The dreaded love triangle! Y’all know I am not a fan of these. They are messy, overly dramatic page-fillers.

So how does this train-wreck turn into a solid four star review?

Yes, the purple prose was hella annoying and I had a ton of doubts about Juliette and Adam as a couple (I kind of still do), but there was just so much more to enjoy about this book. By the time I had finished it, I knew I wouldn’t be able to just stop at book one.

The characters were mesmerizing and shrouded in mystery (especially the ones that seemed unimportant to the story and the plot, but more on those later).

Juliette is your typical Cinderella-esque YA heroine. Juliette is ignored, abused, hated, and tossed in a cell in insane asylum and left to die, until one day a beautiful hunk is tossed in with her and everything changes. It was hard not to feel for Juliette. In fact, I’m not sure I’ve pitied a fictional character more (okay, maybe Acheron, but he’s a whole ‘nother story). It was heartwarming to watch her learn to embrace her differences and to see her powers not as a curse or a disease, but as a way to fight back against the Reestablishment. I couldn’t help but cheer her on! And for being a depressed heroine (for good reason), she wound up being surprisingly funny at times.

I had conflicting emotions for both Adam and Warner all throughout the novel. It wasn’t always clear which one was the good guy and which one was the bad guy, and I kind of enjoyed it. My feelings were really wishy-washy, because with every new reveal about their pasts, I had a dozen more questions. In the end, there was a clear bad guy and I finally got some much-needed answers about Adam’s past. Warner’s past is still a total mystery, and the girls and I agreed that we NEED MORE WARNER! Or at the very least, we need his back story.

My all time favorite character? At first, he appeared to be a largely unimportant character to the plot, but he wound up being crucial to the plot. Kenji was a big, lovable goofball and pretended to be dumber than he actually was, all for a genius reason that you’ll just have to find out for yourself. :) I’m guessing he will have a bigger part in book two, and I absolutely can’t wait!

Another reason this book wound up a winner, is because Mafi made me question everything I knew to be true about this book. At first, the writing did not impress me, but in the end, I couldn’t question her talent any longer. The purple prose might have been a turn off at first, but she really threw me for a loop by the end of the book—several loops. I may have doubted her writing in the beginning, but the unreliable narration sold this book for me. Every time she revealed a plot twist or revealed an answer to my question, she proved how much I underestimated her ability to shock, amaze, and write a well-thought out novel. By the end of the book, nothing was as it seemed and I loved it!

I’m glad I was able to look past the flaws, because if I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have been able to add it to my 2016 Favorite books! If you are a fan of flawed, but surprisingly twisted books, give Shatter Me a shot. You may not enjoy it as much as I did, but you’ll definitely feel something. ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | Apr 4, 2016 |
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book and was immediately impressed. It sucks you in. I loved the semi-stream-of-conscienceness beginning mixed with the main characters rediscovery of self. We are able to immerse ourselves and wake up right along with her. And just when you think it might be too sappy and romance heavy, the action starts and turns it into a new book. AND then, the ending throws you for another loop, changing the entire tone of the book (it was a little jarring and made me quirk my eyebrow, hence the 4 stars instead of 5) because all of a sudden the story turned into The X-Men, complete with superhero outfit and some Fantastic 4 and more comic book post apocolyptic scenes. Not sure how I'll like this direction or more to the point, how it will effect the author's tone of writing, which I really like. ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
4.5 stars. I think this is going to be a love it or hate it book with most people. I personally loved it. But my brain seems to work at the sane frantic pace as Juliette's - so I totally got it. I hope this continues as a series and we get the next book soon. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,255,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible