Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

1,1741986,871 (3.93)31
Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (192)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (194)
I have had this book on my TBR pile for too long. Why did I wait so long to read it?! I loved just about everything abou this book! The premise was unbelievable, albeit terrifying.

The world that the author has create is bleak, very bleak. The environment is almost a wasteland, changed and damaged almost beyond hope. Society is almost unrecognizable to what we know, ruled now by what is essentially a global conglomerate. The world is so damaged that it has even begun to genetically change the living organisms that inhabit it. Those humans affected are hunted down, locked up or even killed for their newfound abilities.

The beginning of this book was horrifying, setting the mood for the way the world is now. Juliette is one of those changed people, now hovering on the brink of insanity. She is lost, confused, and desperately alone. Until she unexpectedly meets a boy, a boy from her past. The way they initially interact truly shows just how isolated Juliette really is and it is heart wrenching.

The characters are simply amazing. None of them can be clearly delineated as good versus bad. Most have moments of both. What makes them good or bad is how they feel about the things they have done. It makes for some real depth and emotion. That's the thing... despite the bleak world, this is truly a beautiful book. The world of Shatter Me is just enough like our own to be terrifying with the possibilities. But some of these characters still have hope and spirit and that is a beautiful thing.

My absolute favorite thing about this book was the writing style. At first, it threw me... the use of strikethroughs, choppy phrases, run-on's, and lack of punctuation from time to time. But you quickly realize that those things are deliberate and perfect. They completely underscore Juliette's state of mind as she goes through some of the things that she does. It's a brave choice and an absolutely effective one.

Things to love...

--The depth of the world. Bleak, yes, but totally able to be envisioned.
--The writing style. Such a great way to create mood.
--The characters. There are no clear-cut good versus bad.

My Recommendation

This is a fantastic and unique take on the dystopian/post-apocalyptic genres! The writing style is creative and the characters are absorbing. ( )
  Kiki870 | Oct 9, 2014 |
I was a little late to the Shatter Me Series party, but boy am I glad I decided to join in the fun! Shatter Me truly lived up to my expectations and I can see why it is a bestseller.

My heart broke for Juliette.....I could not even imagine having to grow up with parents not wanting to touch me or love me...and to just give up on their own child. Having to live in an asylum for almost a year and not have any kind of contact whether verbal or visual just tore me up inside. You can tell from the beginning that Juliette is a very strong person, and that it takes a lot to break her.

Adam.....ah Adam. I just fell in love with him. I just admire that he cares so much for Juliette and was not scared to be around her. He risked so much to rescue her and I can't wait to see what develops with the romance....there is such a great connection between the two. And his little brother James.....well he is just too cute!

Warner....hate is such a strong word, but I truly hate this psychotic man. There is a special place in hell for demented psychopaths like him. I had heard that there is a love triangle with this series, and I really hope it does not include him, or if it does I hope he gets less creepy as the trilogy progresses.

Lastly, who could not love Kenji? What a character! He has such a witty humor, I can't wait to read more about him.

This is a superb dystopian romance and I highly recommend it to anyone. The writing was spectacular and draws you in immediately to a very moving, very emotional story.
  avidbookcollector | Oct 8, 2014 |
It started out slow but got better as it went on. The books starts with Juliette in a prison and eventually we meet Adam Kent. There is also Warner who has some ties to these characters.

There are still a lot of questions left to be answered in subsequent books. Why can both Adam and Warner both touch Juliette? What is really going on with the resistance and all the different powers people have? And what is Warner's true story?

But overall, this book was great. Tahereh Mafi has a very unique storytelling style that puts you right into the world. ( )
  forsakenfates | Sep 27, 2014 |
In a futuristic world where the Reestablishment has conquered the planet and makes all the rules, seventeen-year-old Juliette Ferrars has been incarcerated in an insane asylum since she was 14 years old. Read the rest of the review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/10/26/shatter-me-tahereh-mafi/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
FINALLY FINISHED THIS DAMN THING
This book is so far my most serious case of dissapointment over a book - especially considering it is one of the most hyped books out there at the moment - and after finishing it I just wanted to throw it across the room. And I don't mean that in a good way.

The first pages of Shatter Me offer you an insight narrated by the protagonist on her feelings. Juliette can't touch anyone or else they'll die or be severly injured. She has been imprisioned in an asylum for months. The diary entries from Juliette were very depressing. I understood and thought to myself, this will surely pick up in the next pages.

But it didn't. Juliette is so tedious, I kept fliping through pages hoping to find one thing, at least one thing that would make me like this book but it was impossible. The whole book only expressed the same feelings over and over. Self indulgence, most of it.

Now let's talk about this ridiculous love intrest...... was Julliete really in love with Adam or was it just that he was the only one who ever in her whole life paid her the least bit of attention? That whole issue of ''oh my Julliete I have been in love with you for so long since we were little kids I wanted to touch you for so long omg babe I love you from afar'' just didn't stick with me.

SO MANY THINGS DON'T MAKE SENSE.

Such a shame because, if done correctly, this book could have been a bomb. I am not even spending money on the rest of the series. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible