Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

1,2301996,465 (3.92)30
Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (196)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (198)
I wanted to love this book. I expected to love this book. I've heard really nothing but awesome things about it. I didn't love it. I did love the concept, but I think the problem I had was with the writing style. The story is told from Juliette's point of view & is written as her thoughts. Imagine if you something awesome happened to you & you were thinking "omg, omg, I can't believe it, I can't believe this is happening it's just so amazing & wonderful & I could die happy now." Well, that's how this book is written, and although it's realistic in the sense that that is how the character would process her thoughts, it actually annoyed me to no end. Obviously many other readers had no problem with this, so this is not something that would keep me from recommending the book, however it kept me from enjoying it, thus the 3 star rating. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 13, 2014 |
Thank you to Allen & Unwin for sending me this copy!

Where to start with this review? Maybe with the heart wrenching affliction that Juliette has lived with every day of her life...my heart ached for her the whole novel. She has never known the warmth of a parents' embrace, the feeling of a kind touch. All her life she has been told she is a monster. She has no idea how to interact with other human beings, even though you can see the yearning in her to be good, to help.

Juliette Ferrars has the ability, through her hands, to suck the life out of any human being she touches. But she does not want to harm people, she doesn't want to be a danger to society. People are frightened of her anyway and when she accidentally kills someone, she is locked away in an asylum.

Being inside Juliette's head fascinated me. I felt like I could feel what she was feeling. The writing style really suited this kind of novel. I kept willing her to be brave and strong even though if I was in her position I don't know if I could endure like she did. I see her as an intricately woven tapestry - there seems to be so much more to her than has been revealed in this book, maybe more than she even knows herself.

I've read a lot of dystopian YA over the last few years but if it's done well and is original, like Shatter Me, then I'm not likely to get sick of it. Yes, it does have the usual world-gone-to-shit background, although we are not yet told exactly why (this just frustrates me in general but it has nothing to do with the story and everything to do with my impatience!), but Juliette's place in it and what may be her future role makes this one different to the many others. She's not normal (clearly!), she has a gift, or curse, and I'm looking forward to see how that influences her decisions and her future.

I almost finished this review without mentioning Adam, then I realised I couldn't do that! Adam is ... interesting. A little bit too much the perfect boy seen in so many YA romances, but I like his relationship with James and there's definite intrigue! I think there's more to him too.

5 Stars! ( )
  crashmyparty | Dec 9, 2014 |
Loved this book! X-men sort of feel to some parts. Can't wait for the next book! ( )
  Verkruissen | Nov 5, 2014 |
Not a huge fan of the writing style... especially the first few chapters in. Had an urge to scratch out lines myself!
Author attempted to create something fresh but failed in my opinion.... odd expressions, awkward proses and completely unnecessary repetitions!

But it is a really captivating story with some great characters (Not including Juliette). Adam is amazing, I'm actually more intrigued by what his ability might be than what they want with Juliette.

Another thing that bothers me a little was everyone's obsession with Juliette. Sure, she has some brutal ability, sure she is a walking weapon, but its not like she is a weapon of mass destruction. I mean, just add a layer of clothing and she becomes harmless... gee, I wonder whats so special about her. ( )
  o.orange.o | Oct 25, 2014 |
I have had this book on my TBR pile for too long. Why did I wait so long to read it?! I loved just about everything abou this book! The premise was unbelievable, albeit terrifying.

The world that the author has create is bleak, very bleak. The environment is almost a wasteland, changed and damaged almost beyond hope. Society is almost unrecognizable to what we know, ruled now by what is essentially a global conglomerate. The world is so damaged that it has even begun to genetically change the living organisms that inhabit it. Those humans affected are hunted down, locked up or even killed for their newfound abilities.

The beginning of this book was horrifying, setting the mood for the way the world is now. Juliette is one of those changed people, now hovering on the brink of insanity. She is lost, confused, and desperately alone. Until she unexpectedly meets a boy, a boy from her past. The way they initially interact truly shows just how isolated Juliette really is and it is heart wrenching.

The characters are simply amazing. None of them can be clearly delineated as good versus bad. Most have moments of both. What makes them good or bad is how they feel about the things they have done. It makes for some real depth and emotion. That's the thing... despite the bleak world, this is truly a beautiful book. The world of Shatter Me is just enough like our own to be terrifying with the possibilities. But some of these characters still have hope and spirit and that is a beautiful thing.

My absolute favorite thing about this book was the writing style. At first, it threw me... the use of strikethroughs, choppy phrases, run-on's, and lack of punctuation from time to time. But you quickly realize that those things are deliberate and perfect. They completely underscore Juliette's state of mind as she goes through some of the things that she does. It's a brave choice and an absolutely effective one.

Things to love...

--The depth of the world. Bleak, yes, but totally able to be envisioned.
--The writing style. Such a great way to create mood.
--The characters. There are no clear-cut good versus bad.

My Recommendation

This is a fantastic and unique take on the dystopian/post-apocalyptic genres! The writing style is creative and the characters are absorbing. ( )
  Kiki870 | Oct 9, 2014 |
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,340,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible