Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

1,2442066,376 (3.92)30
Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (204)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (206)
I enjoyed the plot but the writing style was not to my liking. I felt as if the author wanted to portray the feelings and emotions of Juliette but didn't know how to do it. In my opinion that is the the reason for the crossed out sentences, repetition of words and thoughts and the redundancy of some sections. I realize that Mafi was trying to make us feel like we were inside Juliette's head by doing this but I felt that it was too contrived and forced. Personally, it annoyed me. However, I liked the ending when it wasn't written so much from inside her head to just being a narrative. So I will be watching for the next book to see how it goes from there. ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
I couldn't put his book down; it was very intriguing. I was pulled in by the language, the writing- though I will say, I had something of a love/hate relationship with it-and finding out her real feelings and thoughts in the lines that were struck out. I know from reading the book, that the punctuation, or sometimes lack thereof was deliberate-it created a kind of frenetic feeling that I think the author wanted you to have-but it still bothered the English Major in me. That was my only issue with this book, and why I didn't give it five stars. ( )
  kelsey.hintzman | Feb 10, 2015 |
The writing is different. She has done well find a voice for a girl who has been abused for a long time. Unfortunately, the girl is fucking Jean Gray and in the end they end up in post-apocalyptic Xavier academy. The "love" feels false. Weird. Strange. Why a triangle, anyway? Why is Warren in love with her? It makes no sense.
I like the newness of the writing style. It's not stale, but the story is. ( )
  ooshwiggity | Feb 1, 2015 |
I found the use and depth of descriptive language fascinating. The hyperbolic structure of some analogies was a touch much but succeeded in conveying the ideas well enough. I would venture to guess that a certain segment of personality thinks in pictures but have not yet taken the time to verify.

good characterization, good likability of characters, ok world-building, mythos has some weak places but not too painfully so.

overall 80% ( )
  jason9292 | Jan 25, 2015 |
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,799,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible