Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) by Tahereh…

Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality)) (edition 2012)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:bryantkeli
Title:Shatter Me (Shatter Me (Quality))
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, dystopian

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (237)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (240)
Below is a short summary, and you can read my full review here: https://danireviewsthings.wordpress.com/2015/06/11/shatter-me-by-tahereh-mafi/

Shatter Me is about a girl with supernatural abilities in a dystopian world. Juliette can inflict pain through touch, and she is hated for this, so much so that she is locked up by her own parents and left to wither away in an asylum, unloved and untouched. But not for long. With her poetical style of writing that ties into Juliette’s psychological state, Mafi thrusts you into the mind of a girl who is feared, hated (and loved) for her abilities. Throughout the course of the book, Juliette must figure out who to trust, who (and what) she is and how to get out of her situation. While not all answers are provided in this book, what the reader does get is probably far better: the thrilling start to a kick-ass series about more than just a girl.

Rating: 4.5* ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
Ok, I couldn't take it anymore. DNF by chapter 12. The writing style of this book is super distracting. Constant metaphor usage is annoying and unnecessary. It completely clogs up the story to the point where I'm just confused about what is actually happening in the story.
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
utter drivel with a fast paced plot and some juicy romance. X-men elements (Juliette can kill with a touch). Over reliance on metaphor makes it almost unreadable. [From Kirkus: “My mouth is sitting on my kneecaps. My eyebrows are dangling from the ceiling.”] I hate the cross outs. Despite her superpowers Juliette is a damsel in distress and it's annoying. ( )
  mbrandone | Jul 18, 2016 |
I was really, really surprised by this book. At first I thought the scribbles were just a cutesy way to demonstrate insanity... but then I realized they were more than that. That they were informative, interesting and just ... more.

This book had something special about it. Maybe because it was written so much more carefully than other YA novels. I don't know. But I know I loved it. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

2015 Reading Challenge #31: A book with bad reviews.

Me había mantenido alejada de este libro durante mucho tiempo por dos principales razones:
1.) Es una distopía. Está científicamente comprobado que cada dos días una nueva historia distópica es publicada (y con "científicamente comprobado" me refiero a que acabo de inventar esa estadística) lo que significa que hay UN MONTÓN de libros distópicos allí afuera, y por regla general trato de mantenerme alejada de todos ellos porque, aunque he leído varios que me han encantado (véase: [b:The Hunger Games|2767052|The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)|Suzanne Collins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358275334s/2767052.jpg|2792775],[b:Unwind|764347|Unwind (Unwind, #1)|Neal Shusterman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1297677706s/764347.jpg|750423], [b:Ready Player One|9969571|Ready Player One|Ernest Cline|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1406383612s/9969571.jpg|14863741]), usualmente me parecen deprimentes.

2.) Tiene miles de malas criticas. Y no exagero. Al momento de hacer esta reseña tenía 6693 ratings de dos estrellas y 4305 ratings de una estrella. Ratings que en su mayoría están acompañados de reviews llenos de gifs expresando lo HORRIBLE que es la escritura. Y todos sabemos lo confiable que son las reseñas con gifs, así que mantenerme alejada me parecía una buena idea.

Sin embargo, mi resolución acabó de pronto cuando un día hice el test de Epicreads Which YA make out scene are you? y el resultado fue nada mas y nada menos que:

"You are the steamy office kiss between Juliette and Warner (The infamous Chapter 55) from Ignite Me. Sexy, intense, bow chicka bow wow. Is it hot in here or is it just you?"

Soy débil amigos, no pude resistirme al "sexy, intense, bow chicka bow wow", así que comencé a leer la saga y ¿saben qué?

La escritura me gustó. Mucho. Puedo ver como es que puede molestarle a tantas personas, definitivamente no es para todo el mundo, pero a mí particularmente me parece distinta de una manera genial.

Y la trama me pareció divertida y atrapante. Ahora, quiero hacer una aclaratoria y decir que [b:Shatter Me|10429045|Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)|Tahereh Mafi|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1310649047s/10429045.jpg|15333458] no es una historia distópica con un toque de romance (si lo lees esperando encontrar eso, vas a decepcionarte), es una historia de amor con un toque de distopía. Aquí el enfoque no está en explicaciones del estado actual del mundo -aunque si las hay-, ni del régimen del gobierno, el enfoque está en los sentimientos de Juliette. En su relación con Warner (eres cruel pero te amo, bebé) y con Adam.

El final me dejo queriendo más así que tuve que comenzar el segundo libro inmediatamente. Nunca antes me había alegrado tanto de haber perdido mi tiempo haciendo test sin sentido en internet. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
For my parents, and for my husband,
because when I said I wanted to touch the moon
you took my hand, held me close,
and taught me how to fly.
I’ve been locked up for 264 days.

Ostracized or incarcerated her whole life, seventeen-year-old Juliette is freed on the condition that she use her horrific abilities in support of The Reestablishment, a post-apocalyptic dictatorship, but Adam, the only person ever to show her affection, offers hope of a better future.… (more)

368 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,477,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible