Ruthless by Sara Shepard
203None57,650 (3.55)1
*** (1) 3 (1) 55 (1) 2012 (2) chick lit (3) drama (3) ebook (2) female (1) fiction (8) friendship (2) high school (4) killers (1) murder (1) mystery (13) PLL (1) Pretty Little Liars (4) read in 2012 (2) relationships (1) romance (4) sara shepard (2) secrets (3) series (6) suspense (2) teen (4) teen fiction (2) thriller (1) to-read (8) women (1) YA (9) young adult (7)

Rosellen Feliz
English Language Arts 9
Block D
March 11, 2013
Ruthless
The pretty little drama continues in book ten of the Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard. Ruthless is book number 10 of the series and OH MY GOD, what a roller coaster! A is back and at it again. Torturing Aria, Spencer, Hanna and Emily. Hanna meets this guy named Liam, but only if she knew from the start that Liam is the son of her dad’s competition for the senator campaign. When they find out, their romance is starting to become a Romeo and Juliet story. Emily befriends (or shall i say becomes more than friends) a girl named “Kay”. Spencer’s summer friend, Kelsey, that she met at Penn for a summer program comes back but Spencer never expected to see her since the incident. Later in the book, Emily finds out that Kelsey and Kay are the same person. Ezra is back for Aria, and already making plans to move to New York. But the plans are ruined when Aria caught Ezra cheating on her with Klaudia. Spencer thinks Kelsey is A based on the fact that she knows they killed Tabitha. Towards the end Kelsey attempts to kill herself but was saved by the ambulance. The girls end up finding out that Kelsey is not A, based on the fact that they got her phone taken away at the mental institution. I really like how the book came along and how there was many plot twists to make the story really interesting. I recommend this book to whomever likes the pretty little liars series, anyone who is currently reading the book before Ruthless and anyone who likes suspense, drama, and plot twists. (I advise you to read the first book of the series and read every book in the series by order to understand what is happening in this book) I cant wait for the next book!! :)
  Rosieisswaggy | Mar 11, 2013 |
Amzing book. We still don't know who A is but we so know what happend in Jamaca that summer. The intruige of whats going to happen next who's body did they find on that beach ? Stunning is going to be an amazing book along with the rest of the serise. ( )
  SarahMCY | May 25, 2012 |
Ruthless is another great Pretty Little Liars book by Sara Shepard. Yet again, the twist and turns in this book are incredible. Sara Shepard is a genius to have put all these hints and little plots together.

Unfortuantely I feel like Sara kind of set herself up for failure. This is the tenth book and all of the others have been amazing, and she just didnt get any better. It was just as good as the previous books, but i was hoping for something even greater!

Although I liked this book, I think the girls are a little out of character. First off, the Emily I remember would never get pregnant and the A+ student SPencer would never smoke. But, this could be another planned twist by Sara Shepard.

I think Sara never puts in a minor detail without a reason. I believe when the next A is revealed we will go back, feeling stupid as to not see the obvious yet hidden clues.

This is why I give Ruthless a good 4 stars and cannot wait for the drama in the upcoming books! ( )
  ctmslyni | Feb 26, 2012 |
And so we're back. Book nine? Eight? Ten? I'm not sure, but this storyline has been pulled to within an inch of its life.

The drama and tension of the earlier books is pretty much gone, because it's expected. There will always be a random chick who comes into the girl's lives who initially they trust, then start to suspect, then have an "OMG! New A!" moment, and then realize the girl had nothing to do with it and A is still out there. All the books have ended like this.

Ruthless doesn't really extend the storyline at all. There's boring relationship drama all over the place. Hanna falls madly in love to the point of uttering the god-awful words 'soul mate' with a guy she just met who happens to be the son of the fellow her father is running against in his campaign to be Mayor. In the last book, Hanna was duped by a photographer basically spurting the same lines who just wanted racy shots of her to use against her father, you'd the girl would learn. But no. And her father is quite the forgiving type, when Hanna admits she took the racy shots and then payed off the photographer by stealing 10 000 and then framing her father's right hand man, not only does he forgive her, he gets her more involved in his campaign.

I feel bad for Klaudia, mainly because she is such a wonky character. I actually liked her to begin with. Because she's beautiful and foreign, people see her as a whore first and foremost. And Aria does, too. But then she gets to know her, or thinks she does, and Klaudia is actually nice. Of course, this is an act. Klaudia is a whore, fake accent and all, and steals Aria's boyfriend who I still don't get why she's with anyway.

Boring Ezra comes back, and he's written his perfect book about his love for Aria and their story. God, the guy gets so obnoxious about his book being great and Aria not liking it. And, of course, after a fight with Aria she finds Ezra and Klaudia making out. He and Aria have a whirlwind re-romance where she decides its best to up and move away with him. But he suspects she doesn't really like his book; so they break up and she goes back to Noel, who of course missed her terribly and claims all the rumours about him and Klaudia hooking up were false.

Emily falls madly in love with this girl Kelsey, who just so happens to be an old friend of Spencers whom she got sent to juvie by having Hanna plant drugs in her room, even though Spencer was high on the drugs herself. Kelsey is the "New A" of this book, who turns out not to be A after all. She almost flings herself off a cliff, but doesn't and instead goes to the only rehabilitation centre that seems to be in this town, one that Hanna, Courtney/Ali and now Tabitha have apparently frequented. Hanna says often how awful the place is; makes me wonder why all these rich girls still go there. But maybe that's just because Hanna couldn't get her hair blown out and isn't allowed manicures.

Back to Emily for a second, it was revealed in the last book she had an unplanned pregnancy, stayed with her sister in her college dorm to hide it from her parents, and then gave the baby away. Firstly, I'm positive A knows about this and we're just waiting until another book vomits itself out before Emily starts freaking that people will find out. She had a job working at a cafe, met some guy there and told him her troubles, its not like she was in utter hiding the whole time and only came out once. And her sister Melissa agrees to let her stay with her and keep her secret, but she is an unbelievable bitch. Even if you don't get along with your sister, if she's a teenager going through a pregnancy alone and you care enough to let her stay with you and keep it secret, you do more than not show up at the birth of your first neice/nephew and just say "Oh." when you find out; which is what Emily claims her sister did.

Spencer gets with this Yale drama guy she initially hates and all the girls fawn over, no surprise that they hook up there. And then he kinda turns on her at the end when he sees her and Kelsey fight; you'd think he'd take the side of the girl who he's been fawning over for the whole book, helping her with her lines, etc. But no, he sides with stranger!Kelsey.

Everyone and everything in these books are stereotypes. From the 'perfectly, manicured lawns', to the lines of "thank God I'd just had my hair blown out." These people are completely unrelatable. I don't feel bad for any of them, especially when they drown their sorrows by spending hundreds on massages, facials, manicures, shopping sprees, high-class lunches, etc. Yawn, how awful it is to be so pretty, rich and popular.

By the way, I get that's supposed to be the irony of these books, that these girls are perfect but still have issues. But it never comes across to me. The girls certainly don't have that much guilt over what they've done, partying, dating, shopping all still have a place in their supposedly horrible lives.

Anyway, my main issue with these books hasn't changed. These girls don't learn. At all. They continue to keep secrets, and continue to throw other people under the bus, like Kelsey, and are still surprised when they come to the realization that maybe Kelsey is a little mad at them.

I think there's one or two, maybe three of these left. I've come this far, I'll finish it. But I have a feeling I won't like the payoff. Right now, I'm so mad at all the girls I'm hoping they're all just sent to jail. ( )
  littleton_pace | Jan 10, 2012 |

Hanna, Spencer, Emily and Aria are trying to move on and forget about their old friend Alison DiLaurentis and all the torture she put them through, but someone is trying to keep her spirit alive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,443,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible