No more dead dogs by Gordon Korman

No more dead dogs (2000)

by Gordon Korman

1,198466,687 (3.4)51
Recently added bywordsmithkari, eculeus, clymer281, qdubose, UICS, Merryann, kerrygiven, private library, HunterMiddle

I liked this one better than The Chocolate War. First, although the hero, Wallace Wallace, starts out being a bit of a jerk, he evolves over the course of the story and learns a thing or two about friendship and belonging. Second, the atmosphere was a lot lighter--bad things still happen, but the setting isn't as claustrophobic and Gothic as in TCW. Third, even though I know it was a bit hokey, I liked the device of having Rachel write to Julia Roberts for advice, as "a fellow actress." I like the chapters being different peoples' perspectives, too.

I'm finding it hard to believe that the English teacher would have prevailed as long as he did, though--here in the Southern U.S., football is King (when it's not basketball season), and you'd better believe that WW would have been allowed to play tout suite. It's depressing, actually.

I think if I had come across this one during my middle school or even early high school years, it would have become one of my all-time favorites. As it is, it was a fun way to spend a few hours. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
This is a book that I think might be wasted on some kids; I myself am 61. Its partly realistic, partly farcical plot kept me laughing -- I'd certainly be proud to be Wallace Wallace's mother, but it's a little hard when he is being, not so much honest, as forthright and brutally witty.

I read the book because, frankly, as an adult, I'm tired of being told what to read. I don't read much "serious modern fiction." I read about half non-fiction and three-eights genre fiction, and many people I know would be scandalized -- I must be stupid and unaware; oddly enough non-fiction seems to count for nothing in these literary debates. The thing is, much of the "serious" fiction could be sorted into genres as predictable as any other, if only I was clever enough to come up with catchy names to describe them. "This book has an important message," some critic cries, and yeah, it's only been said in a hundred other books, because it's the current trendy "original" idea. So I really appreciate Wallace's comment: "pick out a book with an award sticker and a dog on the cover. Trust me, that dog is going down." Generally, if it won the Pulitzer for Fiction, or the Booker, or was recommended by Oprah, it's going to be about as appealing to me as dead dogs. ( )
  juglicerr | Jul 8, 2014 |
Little Kid Reaction: Without giving the end away, I liked how Korman ENDED the story an unexpected twist. Yes, all the dogs in the stories Wallace mentions do die! That surprised me and was sad to think about. I didn’t really care for the switches between Rachel and Wallace, but I guess it was necessary for the story. Like Wallace, I wanted all the dogs to live, too.

I am 15 now, and I read this book for the first time in elementary school. It is just as interesting now.

Pros: Wallace is an eighth grader kids will relate to. The story appeals to all kinds of readers, and is just as fun the second and third time around!

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Jul 6, 2013 |
Overall, I was entertained. I particularly enjoyed Wallace’s teammate Rick, whose trademark is combining expressions: “You’re going to be on detention until the cows freeze over.” (Full review at http://www.parenthetical.net/2011/04/23/review-no-more-dead-dogs-gordon-korman-2...) ( )
  SamMusher | Mar 30, 2013 |
Exactly how I feel!!! ( )
  DiamondDog | Mar 29, 2013 |

Gordon Kormanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, AlexCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For M. Jerry Weiss,

who has been encouraging me to write about

Rick-isms since the eternal equinox
When my dad was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam, he once rescued eight Navy SEALS who were stranded behind enemy lines.
The characters in this book are fictional.  Any resemblance you may find to actual persons or dogs, living or dead, proves that you have a lot of strange friends.
Because the dog always dies.  Go to the library and pick out a book with an award sticker and a dog on the cover.   Trust me, that dog is going down.  (Wallace Wallace)

Hooray for Wallace Wallace! Unlike his father, who seems to have trouble speaking the truth, Wallace does not lie. He refuses to. That's why, when his teacher asked him to give his opinion on the book he was required to read, he honestly wrote that it was the most boring book he'd ever read in his entire life. It was too bad for Wallace that this book just happened to be his teacher's favorite book, and he didn't take too kindly to Wallace's review. In fact, Mr, Fogleman assigned Wallace a detention until he turned in a proper review. And since it is football season and everyone thinks Wallace is an important part of the team, no one is very happy when Wallace can't attend practice. But Wallace is a young man of principals. He refuses to lie about the book he didn't like, the book where he knew the dog would die before ever opening the cover. After all, the dog always dies. So one detention becomes endless detentions. And since Mr. Fogelman is also directing the school play, Wallace must spend his detention at play practice. Oh, and the play they are working on? An adaptation of the very book for which Wallace refuses to rewrite the review. With a football team angry at him, a school reporter bending the truth to hold his readers, a drama team that values his every opinion, and a future actress who sees him as Mr. Fogelman does, will Wallace end up having to break his own rule about always telling the truth? And will the dog have to die?

Nobody understands Wallace Wallace. This reluctant school football hero has been suspended from the team for writing an unfavorable book report of Old Shep, My Pal. But Wallace won`t tell a lie-he hated every minute of the book! Why does the dog in every classic novel have to croak at the end? After refusing to do a rewrite, his English teacher, who happens to be directing the school play Old Shep, My Pal, forces him go to the rehearsals as punishment. Although Wallace doesn`t change his mind, he does end up changing the play into a rock-and-roll rendition, complete with Rollerblades and a moped!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:56 -0400)

Eighth-grade football hero Wallace Wallace is sentenced to detention attending rehearsals of the school play where, in spite of himself, he becomes wrapped up in the production and begins to suggest changes that improve not only the play but his life as well.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,154,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible