No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman

No More Dead Dogs (2002)

by Gordon Korman

1,161None6,960 (3.39)50
(13) animals (9) boys (15) children's (18) comedy (12) detention (19) dogs (39) drama (48) fiction (74) football (80) friendship (18) funny (27) honesty (8) humor (86) Irving (27) middle school (21) mystery (16) Perry (21) play (19) plays (15) read (7) realistic fiction (82) school (37) school play (9) selsky (17) sports (13) theatre (24) YA (29) young adult (24) young adult fiction (7)

Little Kid Reaction: Without giving the end away, I liked how Korman ENDED the story an unexpected twist. Yes, all the dogs in the stories Wallace mentions do die! That surprised me and was sad to think about. I didn’t really care for the switches between Rachel and Wallace, but I guess it was necessary for the story. Like Wallace, I wanted all the dogs to live, too.

I am 15 now, and I read this book for the first time in elementary school. It is just as interesting now.

Pros: Wallace is an eighth grader kids will relate to. The story appeals to all kinds of readers, and is just as fun the second and third time around!

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Jul 6, 2013 |
Overall, I was entertained. I particularly enjoyed Wallace’s teammate Rick, whose trademark is combining expressions: “You’re going to be on detention until the cows freeze over.” (Full review at http://www.parenthetical.net/2011/04/23/review-no-more-dead-dogs-gordon-korman-2...) ( )
  SamMusher | Mar 30, 2013 |
Exactly how I feel!!! ( )
  DiamondDog | Mar 29, 2013 |
Korman manages to appeal to both genders in this amusing book, which is told from several perspectives, but primarily those of chronically honest football hero, Wallace Wallace, and theatre geek, Rachel. When Wallace is forced into detention during stage rehearsal, he completely alienates the theatre group, including Rachel, and angers his football friends as well, when he refuses to write the simpering paper which will release him from punishment. Wallace's gradually growing involvement in drama is not a surprising narrative choice, but it results is such charming character interaction (Wallace totally alters the script and somehow manages to become the director in an unintentional bloodless coup) that it feels fresh again. For grades 5 and up.
  Sarahfine | Aug 6, 2012 |
“No More Dead Dogs” is a humorous story about an 8th grade football star, Wallace Wallace, who gets in trouble by writing his honest opinion about the book “Old Shep, My Pal”. Wallace is known for being honest and when his English teacher asks the class to share their opinions about the book, Wallace writes that he is sick and tired of reading the books where the dogs always die in the end of the story and he would not recommend this book even to his worst enemy. Wallace’s book review is so brutally honest, that his English teacher, Mr. Fogelman, who happens to be the books biggest fan, gives Wallace a detention which means participating in the drama club. Coincidentally, the drama club is working on the upcoming school play “Old Shep, My Pal”, directed by Mr. Fogelman. Stuck with the having to sit through the boring rehearsals and not being able to play football, Wallace eventually accepts the idea and starts participating in the rehearsals by suggesting different ways to improve the play, and even suggesting that the dog lives. When Wallace finally gets everyone’s approval, somebody starts to sabotage the production. Everybody thinks it’s Wallace, but is it really him? Read to find out.
I really liked this book because it was hilarious right from the beginning, I truly enjoyed reading Wallace’s book review. After that it just kept getting better. The sarcasm and the humor that are so skillfully embedded in the story, makes the book irresistible for the teen audience. I think that any MS student will find this book funny and appealing. I would definitely recommend this book to the MS audience, especially those, who think that all books are boring, for I believe they can find this book pretty entertaining. ( )
  liliaabagi | Mar 26, 2012 |

Hooray for Wallace Wallace! Unlike his father, who seems to have trouble speaking the truth, Wallace does not lie. He refuses to. That's why, when his teacher asked him to give his opinion on the book he was required to read, he honestly wrote that it was the most boring book he'd ever read in his entire life. It was too bad for Wallace that this book just happened to be his teacher's favorite book, and he didn't take too kindly to Wallace's review. In fact, Mr, Fogleman assigned Wallace a detention until he turned in a proper review. And since it is football season and everyone thinks Wallace is an important part of the team, no one is very happy when Wallace can't attend practice. But Wallace is a young man of principals. He refuses to lie about the book he didn't like, the book where he knew the dog would die before ever opening the cover. After all, the dog always dies. So one detention becomes endless detentions. And since Mr. Fogelman is also directing the school play, Wallace must spend his detention at play practice. Oh, and the play they are working on? An adaptation of the very book for which Wallace refuses to rewrite the review. With a football team angry at him, a school reporter bending the truth to hold his readers, a drama team that values his every opinion, and a future actress who sees him as Mr. Fogelman does, will Wallace end up having to break his own rule about always telling the truth? And will the dog have to die?

Nobody understands Wallace Wallace. This reluctant school football hero has been suspended from the team for writing an unfavorable book report of Old Shep, My Pal. But Wallace won`t tell a lie-he hated every minute of the book! Why does the dog in every classic novel have to croak at the end? After refusing to do a rewrite, his English teacher, who happens to be directing the school play Old Shep, My Pal, forces him go to the rehearsals as punishment. Although Wallace doesn`t change his mind, he does end up changing the play into a rock-and-roll rendition, complete with Rollerblades and a moped!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:56 -0400)

Eighth-grade football hero Wallace Wallace is sentenced to detention attending rehearsals of the school play where, in spite of himself, he becomes wrapped up in the production and begins to suggest changes that improve not only the play but his life as well.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible