Blood Memories by Barb Hendee

Blood Memories (edition 2008)

by Barb Hendee

199659,063 (3.45)3
Member:PolymathicMonkey
Title:Blood Memories
Authors:Barb Hendee
Info:New York : Roc, c.1998.
Collections:Your library, Read, Read and owned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, 20th century, author:American, genre:fantasy, urban fantasy, genre:thriller/suspense, vampire, series, read:2012

Blood Memories by Barb Hendee

Recently added byprivate library, Anvity, khamielec, al.vick, mobill76, DanaMarie1089, sunysurfr, hawkwolf

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It's a bit on the short side (I finished it in one evening), but I got quite attached to the characters, and the style (the memories) worked very well, I thought. I was "on my toes" the whole time, intrigued and curious as to how things were going to go. I'd definitely read more of the series. ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Dec 21, 2012 |
Oh, thank God! A vampire story that's not a Harelquin romance with fangs. The plot unfolds organically from the point of a view of a vampire for whom life didn't change much by dying. Until suddenly new possibilities thrust themself into her mind and she discovers most of what she thought she knew wasn't true at all. I'm hoping there is another installment to her story. ( )
  MuranoBlue | Feb 6, 2011 |
I've enjoyed reading Barb and J.C. Hendee's Noble Dead series and so I was pleased to hear that Barb Hendee was branching off on her own to write an urban fantasy about vampires.

In the Vampire Memories series, vampires all have a special gift. Eleisha Clevon, the protagonist of Blood Memories, is able to make herself seem helpless and make people want to take care of her. She uses this gift to hunt. Originally from Wales, she has settled in Portland, takes care of a senile vampire named William and socializes with her friend Edward, also a vampire, until the day that Edward commits suicide. With his death, Eleisha is forced to confront how lost he'd become, thanks to the bodies in his basement and the address book of vampires. Now that the police are looking for her, she has to flee.

This book is on par with the Noble Dead series in terms of quality. The characters are interesting and the plot is sound but I didn't find the book quite as compelling as some of the others I've read. This is not to say that it's a bad book; on the contrary, it's a good, solid read. It just didn't grab me the way that Patricia Briggs' or Kelley Armstrong's work does. The second book in the series, Hunting Memories, is out now so I may pick it up some time in the future.

Also published at http://ireadgood.wordpress.com ( )
  jthorburn | Jan 1, 2010 |
I liked this one a lot. Inhaled. ( )
  SLHobbs | Feb 11, 2009 |
I read this book a few months ago and am now struggling to write a review. It just didn't make much of an impression. It was a mildly entertaining vampire book and not much else. ( )
  etznab | Jan 18, 2009 |
I was with Edward the day he killed himself.

A bold new series from the USA Today bestselling co-author of the Noble Dead saga.

Eleisha Clevon has the face of a teen angel, but she is no angel. Unlike most vampires, she doesn’t like to kill, but self-preservation comes first.

When an old friend destroys himself by walking into sunlight right in front of her, Eleisha is shocked. And what she finds afterwards points to how very sick of his existence her friend had become—piling drained corpses in the basement and keeping records of other vampires’ real names and addresses. That’s a problem.

Because now, there are policemen on the case: two very special humans with some gifts of their own. They know who Eleisha is, and, even more dangerous, what she is.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:51 -0400)

Shocked when an old friend destroys himself by walking into the sunlight in front of her, vampire Eleisha Clevon finds herself the target of two very special police detectives with some unique gifts of their own and a knowledge of who and what she reallyis.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,650,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible