One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder by Nicola…

One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder (edition 2005)

by Nicola Davies, Jane Chapman (Illustrator)

8002011,442 (3.67)None
Member:xiomaragrace
Title:One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder
Authors:Nicola Davies
Other authors:Jane Chapman (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2005), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:animal

One Tiny Turtle by Nicola Davies

I really enjoyed reading this book. First, I liked this book because of its pictures. Each page was done in water color and I think this technique truly grasped the vision of an ocean. The colors blended well together and the pictures were very engaging and wonderful to look at. Another reason why I liked this book was because of its content. The author did a great job attracting her young audience. The word choice was appropriate for young readers and she really made the hatching and laying of a young turtle interesting and exciting. Lastly, I liked this book because of the plot. There was a turtle who swam back to the beach where she was once laid and she laid her eggs in the same place. The reader can go on her adventure with her as she travels throughout the ocean. The main message of this story is to expose readers to the life cycle and everyday life of a turtle in the ocean. ( )
  kelseyjenkens | Apr 20, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. I liked the language, textual features, and illustrations. The book was informational, however the information was presented in an engaging way. The language was very descriptive and helped me to picture what the author was trying to portray. For example, when I read, “far, far out to sea, land is only a memory, and empty sky touches the water,” I could picture the horizon and the sky meeting the water. Another sentence that created imagery was, “now she dives under the waves and swims.” I pictured a turtle diving into the waves, back into the sea. The illustrations were beautiful and really supported the text. Some illustrations were bright and others were dark, but it always made sense with what the particular page was talking about. For example, when the turtles go back to sea, it was bright to show opportunity. I also really liked how the author used certain textual features that added to the story. For example, some words like “far,” were big and bold and they gradually got smaller. The author also used font that made the words appear as if they were waves. This was very fitting and appropriate since the book was about turtles that live in the ocean. It added to the story and made the story fun to read. The main idea of this book was to inform readers about Loggerhead turtles. ( )
  KylieWilliams | Feb 28, 2016 |
This wonderful book showcases the life cycle of a sea turtle. The artistry of this book appears to have been done with acrylic paint. I will use this book in a book cluster during a unit study on marine animals.
  magen.rauscher | Nov 22, 2015 |
I like this story for two reasons. First, I like the illustrations. This was a beautifully illustrated book about loggerhead turtles cycle of life. I like the how some illustrations take up the entire page while others surround the text. For example, when the loggerhead turtle is making a nest, the turtle is crawling from the top of one page down to the next page with her head peeking out. The illustrator also uses many blues and greens to illustrate the ocean and night sky. Second, I like the text. I like how the author writes comparisons the reader can apply in real life. For example, the author writes, “Inside she lays her eggs, like a hundred squidgy Ping-Pong balls” or “her shell is hard as armor”. This allows the reader to make comparisons with everyday items. The text is integrated into the illustrations. For example, on the page with the illustration of the turtles coming out of their shells, the text is circled around in the shape of the turtle egg. The text is not uniform. The font size varies throughout the book. For example, the main idea or generalizations about loggerhead turtles is in a bigger bolder font, while more detailed information is smaller and usually not aligned in a straight line. The big idea of this story is the circle of life. This is shown through the journey of a baby loggerhead turtle swimming in the ocean for thirty years to lay eggs and have baby turtles of her own. ( )
  TiffanyYi | Oct 15, 2015 |
Review: A book about the life of a sea turtle and how in the great big sea this little turtle has a great adventure. About life and what an animal does to survive,

Ages: 5 - 8 Years

Source: Pierce ECE library
  DavidGriffin | May 12, 2014 |

"Simple, lyrical words and bright, acrylic doublepage pictures convey the astonishing facts about the loggerhead sea turtle. . . . A powerful nature story for a young audience." —BOOKLIST

Far, far out at sea lives one of the world's most mysterious creatures, the loggerhead turtle. For thirty years she swims the oceans, wandering thousands of miles as she searches for food. Then, one summer night, she lands on a beach to lay her eggs — the very same beach where she herself was born. Nicola Davies's lyrical text offers fascinating information about the journey of the tiny, endangered loggerhead, while charming paintings by Jane Chapman vividly illustrate one turtle's odyssey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

The story of a tiny sea turtle who swims out to sea, then returns after a few years to the beach where she was born to lay her eggs before returning to the sea. Includes many facts about sea turtles.

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763623113, 076363834X, 0763641936

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible