Warriors 1 by George R. R. Martin

Warriors 1 brings together short stories from across all genres by authors whose only criteria were to write about a warrior. This is the one of three paperback volumes of the whole anthology edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois in which Martin is joined in contributing by Joe Haldeman, Steven Saylor, Tad Williams, Cecelia Holland, and Robert Silverberg.

Save for the opening story, this volume is packed with great writing and stories. Of the five stories that are truly outstanding two are historical fiction, one is science fiction, and two are fantasy. Not all the stories are full of action as seen in Robert Silverberg’s “Defenders of the Frontier” is more a psychological study but still a well written and compelling narrative. Only two of the stories featured in this volume are connected in some way to established universes by their authors, Joe Haldeman’s Forever War universe and Martin’s own world of A Song of Ice and Fire. But while Martin’s “The Mystery Knight” is compelling story with action and intrigue, Haldeman’s “Forever Bound” just doesn’t seem to really connect to a first time reader of his work. I would be remiss if I forgot to praise the excellent historical fiction stories by Steven Saylor and Cecelia Holland that featured Romans, Carthaginians, and Vikings.

While the opening story doesn’t seem to connect well, the rest of the stories in this volume more than make up for it. These tales of warriors whether based in our own history or worlds far off in space or in a fantastical realm are excellent reads. The same is true for action, political intrigue, and psychological struggles. I really loved this collection of short stories and highly recommend it to those interested in get or reading this volume.

Individual Story Ratings
Forever Bound by Joe Haldeman (3/5)
The Eagle and the Rabbit by Steven Saylor (5/5)
And Ministers of Grace by Tad Williams (4/5)
The King of Norway by Cecelia Holland (5/5)
Defenders of the Frontier by Robert Silverberg (4.5/5)
The Mystery Knight by George R.R. Martin (5/5) ( )
  mattries37315 | Oct 31, 2016 |
Good mix of stories. Pretty sure I had read the first one somewhere else, but kinda interesting to have a short story set in the Games of Throne world at the end. ( )
  Guide2 | Oct 20, 2013 |
I liked this anthology and thought it was a nice introduction to authors I am wholey unfamiliar with. I dig the "spinner rack" vibe the editors were striving for. There are elements of science fiction, historical fiction, fantasy and even western all nestled comfortably within these pages. Not a stunner but still an enjoyable romp with an eclectic group of warriors.

Note: This book was a goodreads giveaway. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
I only read the Steven Saylor story, "The Rabbit and the Eagle," which is why I checked the book out from the library. Neat little tale about some Carthaginian prisoners and the cruel methods of the Roman slave-chasers after the destruction of Carthage in 146 B.C. ( )
  saholc | Jul 24, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765360268, Mass Market Paperback)

From George R. R. Martin’s Introduction to Warriors:

“People have been telling stories about warriors for as long as they have been telling stories. Since Homer first sang the wrath of Achilles and the ancient Sumerians set down their tales of Gilgamesh, warriors, soldiers, and fighters have fascinated us; they are a part of every culture, every literary tradition, every genre. All Quiet on the Western Front, From Here to Eternity, and The Red Badge of Courage have become part of our literary canon, taught in classrooms all around the country and the world. Our contributors make up an all-star lineup of award-winning and bestselling writers, representing a dozen different publishers and as many genres. We asked each of them for the same thing—a story about a warrior. Some chose to write in the genre they’re best known for. Some decided to try something different. You will find warriors of every shape, size, and color in these pages, warriors from every epoch of human history, from yesterday and today and tomorrow, and from worlds that never were. Some of the stories will make you sad, some will make you laugh, and many will keep you on the edge of your seat.”

The stories in the first mass market volume of this book are:

Introduction: Stories of the Spinner Rack, by George R. R. Martin

Forever Bound, by Joe Haldeman

The Eagle and the Rabbit, by Steven Saylor

And Ministers of Grace, by Tad Williams

The King of Norway, by Cecelia Holland

Defenders of the Frontier, by Robert Silverberg

The Mystery Knight, by George R. R. Martin

Many of these writers are bestsellers. All of them are storytellers of the highest quality. Together they make a volume of unforgettable reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

WARRIORS is the first of three mass-market paperback volumes of a 250,000-word anthology of never-before-published stories from today's top writers about war and warriors, past, present, and future.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible