Warriors 1 by George R. R. Martin

Good mix of stories. Pretty sure I had read the first one somewhere else, but kinda interesting to have a short story set in the Games of Throne world at the end. ( )
  Guide2 | Oct 20, 2013 |
I liked this anthology and thought it was a nice introduction to authors I am wholey unfamiliar with. I dig the "spinner rack" vibe the editors were striving for. There are elements of science fiction, historical fiction, fantasy and even western all nestled comfortably within these pages. Not a stunner but still an enjoyable romp with an eclectic group of warriors.

Note: This book was a goodreads giveaway. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
I only read the Steven Saylor story, "The Rabbit and the Eagle," which is why I checked the book out from the library. Neat little tale about some Carthaginian prisoners and the cruel methods of the Roman slave-chasers after the destruction of Carthage in 146 B.C. ( )
  saholc | Jul 24, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765360268, Mass Market Paperback)

From George R. R. Martin’s Introduction to Warriors:

“People have been telling stories about warriors for as long as they have been telling stories. Since Homer first sang the wrath of Achilles and the ancient Sumerians set down their tales of Gilgamesh, warriors, soldiers, and fighters have fascinated us; they are a part of every culture, every literary tradition, every genre. All Quiet on the Western Front, From Here to Eternity, and The Red Badge of Courage have become part of our literary canon, taught in classrooms all around the country and the world. Our contributors make up an all-star lineup of award-winning and bestselling writers, representing a dozen different publishers and as many genres. We asked each of them for the same thing—a story about a warrior. Some chose to write in the genre they’re best known for. Some decided to try something different. You will find warriors of every shape, size, and color in these pages, warriors from every epoch of human history, from yesterday and today and tomorrow, and from worlds that never were. Some of the stories will make you sad, some will make you laugh, and many will keep you on the edge of your seat.”

The stories in the first mass market volume of this book are:

Introduction: Stories of the Spinner Rack, by George R. R. Martin

Forever Bound, by Joe Haldeman

The Eagle and the Rabbit, by Steven Saylor

And Ministers of Grace, by Tad Williams

The King of Norway, by Cecelia Holland

Defenders of the Frontier, by Robert Silverberg

The Mystery Knight, by George R. R. Martin

Many of these writers are bestsellers. All of them are storytellers of the highest quality. Together they make a volume of unforgettable reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

WARRIORS is the first of three mass-market paperback volumes of a 250,000-word anthology of never-before-published stories from today's top writers about war and warriors, past, present, and future.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,944,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible