dismiss

The Drowned Cities

by Paolo Bacigalupi

Series: Ship Breaker (2)

In a dark future America that has devolved into unending civil wars, orphans Mahlia and Mouse barely escape the war-torn lands of the Drowned Cities, but their fragile safety is soon threatened and Mahlia will have to risk everything if she is to save Mouse, as he once saved her.
    Orleans by Sherri L. Smith (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both are fast-paced novels set in a post-apocalyptic gulf coast.
    Enclave by Ann Aguirre (4leschats)
    4leschats: Female protagonist; Survival and Adaptation in a post-apocalyptic world.
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have a female protagonist who is scarred and trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.
    Flashback by Dan Simmons (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: Both books extrapolate on current social and political trends to produce a dystopian future.

English (65)  French (1)  All languages (66)
I am typing this review with shaking hands. In part, this is because my house is a bit on the cool side; mostly, it's the book.

This is the third of Paulo Bacigalupi's science fiction books set in a post-global-warming, post-oil world; the first was for grown-ups, and the second two were marked young-adult. [b:Ship Breaker|7095831|Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1)|Paolo Bacigalupi|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327874074s/7095831.jpg|7352929] was a fairly light read, for a novel centred on a young boy growing up in a beach-side tropical slum, making a living fishing oil remnants out of old broken boats for sale on the black market. [b:The Windup Girl|6597651|The Windup Girl|Paolo Bacigalupi|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1278940608s/6597651.jpg|6791425], the book for adults, was far darker, with a level of brutality I found hard to take. What they both shared was a world in which the changed climate and all of its predicted effects had taken place, and which feels utterly real. He takes the scientific papers and projections and turns them into a place where people live and die (mostly die).

So, too, with the Drowned Cities, only moreso--because it is closer to home, taking place in a east-coast US former-metropolis, now underwater and home to endless civil war, and because the main characters are children. Again, the world is very real--too real. Our civilization may have crumbled; oceans, jungles and tropical storms may have swallowed our coasts; but we still have children, only now those children grow up surrounded by war and in a constant state of poverty. Then the war swallows them up, turns them into soldiers, makes them party to and witnesses of every kind of savagery, kills their families and friends.

Nothing that happens to the children in this book hasn't already happened to children alive today, in countries currently at civil war. I can't imagine recommending this to a child before high school. And what does that say, that I could never ask a child to go through the experience of reading about it, when the logical end of every societal and political and personal decision we make today is going to condemn so many children to living it? ( )
  andrea_mcd | Mar 10, 2020 |
The Drowned Cities takes place after Ship Breaker, yet is largely a stand alone book which asides from the character Tool being carried forward is a cast of new characters. It would be quite possible to enjoy Drowned Cities without having read Ship Breaker, yet having read it beforehand you are provided a richer view into the bleak and crumbling world the author presents.

I quite enjoyed the story of survival presented within the pages, it's not your average young adult book in that there is quite a bit of violence of which the details are not skimmed over - such as the hands and feet being cut off of those the soldiers deem lesser - children of peacekeepers, soldiers from opposing armies, etc.

The ending is also unlike most young adult books in that like the world presented in the pages it is also bleak and whilst some goals of the characters are achieved, others are very much not.

Overall, it's excellent. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Sep 21, 2019 |
I really liked what Bacigalupi did with this book. He did an excellent job of creating a future dystopian world set in what is now the United States that is really not much different than what is going on in other parts of the world today. In the case of The Drowned Cities, the issues he explores are climate change, children forced to become soldiers, and the politics of regions run by warring warlords. The attitude of the Peacekeepers (Chinese in this case) towards the local populations was a great commentary on how Western countries affect conflicts in our world today. The characters were great and their stories spoke to the tragedy of the situation they find themselves in. Although the story was very grim and the author did not shy away from the horrible parts of war, there was a bit of hope at the end. I hope that the author writes more about this world. ( )
  Cora-R | Jul 31, 2019 |
1 vote Cora-R | May 21, 2019 |
Usually the first volume is a bang and the rest of series are weaker and weaker echoes. This is not the case with The Drowned Cities, the second volume of The Ship Breaker trilogy (the final (?) volume is expected in the Fall of 2017). For me, it is much stronger in terms of characters, world-setting and raw emotions generated by the novel.
First of all, the heroes are different – main protagonists of the first volume are gone, only one character remains – augumented human Tool, the rest are completely new characters. Secondly, while life of ship scavengers was hard and dangerous, here we meet much worse – one of the main protagonists, Mehlia is an outcast, hated by people for what she cannot change – she is a daughter of a Chinese peacekeeper (who tried a humanitarian mission but failed) and one-handed – her situation is notably worse than that of Nailor from the first volume. Thirdly, the book has a great ad horrifying depiction of boy-solders, teenagers with guns and high on drugs, who can cut you down just because you look strange or because they are bored. At the same time, they are not an unfathomable evil for heroes to fight – actually a notable part of narrative are made by them and this is very powerful.
The Great book, highly recommended.
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
The Drowned Cities is an adventure story, a thriller and a sharply drawn fable about the state of the world today. It succeeds handily on all three fronts
added by 4leschats | editBook Page, Heather Seggel (May 1, 2012)

Beautifully written, filled with high-octane action, and featuring badly damaged but fascinating and endearing characters, this fine novel tops its predecessor and can only increase the author's already strong reputation.
added by 4leschats | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (Mar 12, 2012)

Paolo Bacigalupiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my father
Chains clanked in the darkness of the holding cells.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,880,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible