Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel

Dearly, Departed

by Lia Habel

English (70)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (71)
4 ½ Stars

Dearly, Departed is book one in the new Dearly series by Lia Habel.

The blurb is very explanatory, I won’t give you a synopsis but I’ll add some details throughout my review.

Dearly, Departed was a very nice surprise for me, if I’m been honest I wasn’t expecting to like this book as much as I did nor I was expecting it to be as good as it was.

One of the things I loved the most about this book was the world Mrs. Habel created. The year is 2195, a new ice age has happened. Many of the northern countries have disappeared under a heavy coat of ice forcing their habitants to migrate close to the tropics, where now they live in tribes (nations). One of those tribes is the New Victoria. A tribe that decided to follow the behaviors and customs of the Victorian Era, an era they consider was the golden age of humanity. So now we are in the year 2195 with Victorian customs and advances in technology corresponding to the current times. The technology is modern but with a touch of Steampunk, there are microchips, cell phones, tablets, flat screens, holograms and more. What I liked was that many of these contractions work with steam. Also the aethernet is use for communications. All in all a very creative, complex and well developed world.

To add to this new world and lifestyle a new virus called Lazarus virus is spreading with the dire consequences of creating zombies. When the infected die in some cases they wake up with all their faculties intact (good zombie) and in other cases… let’s just say I would not like to encounter one of those. This situation has been kept secret by the government for years. They are trying to find a vaccine and while Scientifics are looking for it, the government has created a small army with good zombies called Company Z. This group specializes in the elimination of the bad, mindless, flesh eaters zombies also known as Greys.

Dearly, Departed is the love story about Nora and Bram. Nora is a normal human girl and Bram is one of the good zombies, he is also the Captain of Company Z. I was a bit skeptical about the story, I couldn’t imagine a normal person falling for a zombie, but Mrs. Habel does an awesome job with Bram’s character. The more you know Bram the less you think about his “handicaps” and soon after you are rooting for him and fervently wishing for a cure, a solution or something to will help him with that little detail of gray skin and falling and rotting parts. Not that anything is falling or rotting at the moment but with time it will start to happen.

Nora is a different girl from the norm of her times, where all the girls are expected to have ladylike behaviors and should never worry with anything discomforting. But since an early age Nora has been curious and has always wanted to learn and know more about their past wars and social and political differences with other tribes.
I liked how Nora reactions were real and didn’t feel forced. She is a smart young girl, she analyses things before acting and when she is wrong about something she accepts it. She is also strong for her age, I’m not talking about physical strength but emotional strength. She freaked out when it was normal to do so but she never disappointed me. She learned to look inside the persons and not to judge them by their appearances, not just with Bram but also with other members of Company Z.

As I said before Bram and Nora relationship should be a NO-NO but the more you see their interaction and the more they spend time together you realized they are good for each other regardless of their differences.

The secondary characters are all nice and they all bring something to the story. The one I could say evolved the most was Pamela, Nora’s best friend since childhood. Pamela starts as a perfect daughter and lady but when circumstances changes and her old self is not enough she changes too and becomes what is needed from her.
Bram’s friends from Company Z were all nice characters that added something to the story, characters you learn to love and as with Bram you wish for a happy ending for them too. They are all characters you would love to learn more about them and hope to see more of them in the future.
Dearly, Departed is told from five different points of view. Yes, you read right, five! But as with character development Mrs. Habel does a great job and differentiates each chapter by speaker so it was very easy to follow up and didn’t get confusing.

The end of Dearly, Departed is not a cliffhanger but is one that will leave you wanting to get your hands on the next installment, Dearly, Beloved as soon as it’s released next year.
In general I really liked and enjoyed Dearly, Departed. I think it was a great surprise and a really good debut novel by Lia Habel. Dearly, Departed is a book I recommend to all YA, distopyan and steampunk fans. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
This one just did not work for me I managed 250 pages before deciding to give up and DNF. Started off interesting enough, but the plot was slow and too many different view points got annoying.

Also a lot of info dumping which got irritating. I was not impressed by the idea of a futuristic society embracing the ideas of modern technology and slang words and then adopting Victorian ideas of etiquette and rules. This and the zombies was got my attention about the book in the first place, the execution just didn't do anything for me. There didn't seem to be much happening plot wise other than in one POV but that wasn't really enough to keep me interested.

Not for me. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
Dearly Departed.
hmmm. I couldnt even finish this book. I read 3 chapters and just couldnt go any further.

1. This book is WAY out of my norm. I don't like sci-fi. I don't even watch Sci-fi movies. But I had liked twilight so I figured maybe I would try another sci-fi and this one was recommended.

2. I don't understand this 'steampunk' and I don't like it. it frustrated me ( please don't be offended if you do. This is just my opinion.) I don't like how they're in 2195 yet the world has digressed from technology YET they have flat screens in their carriages. I don't like it.

3. It is wayyyy tooooo slow a start for me. I was bored and complaining to my husband by page 10.

4. I didn't like the manner they spoke. Sometimes it was very proper and Victorian like others it wasn't like that at all.

Like I said this book is outside my norm. So someone else who reads sci-fi and zombies might like this book. Don't go on my opinion alone

EDIT*******

I have started reading more paranormal, steampunk, zombie apocalypse sort of books. I hadn't read a new adult book other than twilight when I tried this one. I think now that I have an open mind and understand everything a bit better, I will go back and re-read this book!
(I shouldn't have made the rash decision to give it away) ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
Dearly Departed.

EDIT*******

(I shouldn't have made the rash decision to give it away) ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |

Dearly, Departed started off with a bang and kept my attention right up until the end. I felt that Bram and Nora were well developed characters: Nora being a proper Victorian lady with a little stubborn streak thrown in and Bram, a gentleman...zombie. I didn't care very much for Nora's sidekick friend, Pamma until closer to the end of the story. Habel's many points of view left me sometimes confused and though I did not, I found myself wanting to skip whole chapters of characters I didn't like. The many POV's however, is my only complaint.

I really enjoyed Dearly, Departed. I felt that Lia Habel did a great job on this title overall, and she has created an intricate, well developed world to play with in her work. I am excited to read the sequel, Dearly, Beloved due out this year. ( )
  AJ_Fairchild | Feb 2, 2014 |

In the year 2195 when society is technologically advanced but follows the social mores of Victorian England, recently orphaned Nora Dearly is left at the mercy of her domineering, social-climbing aunt, until she is nearly kidnapped by zombies and falls in with a group of mysterious, black-clad commandos.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,300,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible