Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel

Dearly, Departed

by Lia Habel

Recently added bycheekylala, private library, ku., sunset_x_cocktail, Mirandalg14, JennyJen

English (70)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (71)
This one just did not work for me I managed 250 pages before deciding to give up and DNF. Started off interesting enough, but the plot was slow and too many different view points got annoying.

Also a lot of info dumping which got irritating. I was not impressed by the idea of a futuristic society embracing the ideas of modern technology and slang words and then adopting Victorian ideas of etiquette and rules. This and the zombies was got my attention about the book in the first place, the execution just didn't do anything for me. There didn't seem to be much happening plot wise other than in one POV but that wasn't really enough to keep me interested.

Not for me. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
Dearly Departed.
hmmm. I couldnt even finish this book. I read 3 chapters and just couldnt go any further.

1. This book is WAY out of my norm. I don't like sci-fi. I don't even watch Sci-fi movies. But I had liked twilight so I figured maybe I would try another sci-fi and this one was recommended.

2. I don't understand this 'steampunk' and I don't like it. it frustrated me ( please don't be offended if you do. This is just my opinion.) I don't like how they're in 2195 yet the world has digressed from technology YET they have flat screens in their carriages. I don't like it.

3. It is wayyyy tooooo slow a start for me. I was bored and complaining to my husband by page 10.

4. I didn't like the manner they spoke. Sometimes it was very proper and Victorian like others it wasn't like that at all.

Like I said this book is outside my norm. So someone else who reads sci-fi and zombies might like this book. Don't go on my opinion alone

EDIT*******

I have started reading more paranormal, steampunk, zombie apocalypse sort of books. I hadn't read a new adult book other than twilight when I tried this one. I think now that I have an open mind and understand everything a bit better, I will go back and re-read this book!
(I shouldn't have made the rash decision to give it away) ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
Dearly Departed.

EDIT*******

(I shouldn't have made the rash decision to give it away) ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |

Dearly, Departed started off with a bang and kept my attention right up until the end. I felt that Bram and Nora were well developed characters: Nora being a proper Victorian lady with a little stubborn streak thrown in and Bram, a gentleman...zombie. I didn't care very much for Nora's sidekick friend, Pamma until closer to the end of the story. Habel's many points of view left me sometimes confused and though I did not, I found myself wanting to skip whole chapters of characters I didn't like. The many POV's however, is my only complaint.

I really enjoyed Dearly, Departed. I felt that Lia Habel did a great job on this title overall, and she has created an intricate, well developed world to play with in her work. I am excited to read the sequel, Dearly, Beloved due out this year. ( )
  AJ_Fairchild | Feb 2, 2014 |
Original backdrop,a Victorian Gothic with a edge of futuristic.mechaniZATION heroin so-so, Bram I loved! ( )
  abigail33 | Jan 5, 2014 |

In the year 2195 when society is technologically advanced but follows the social mores of Victorian England, recently orphaned Nora Dearly is left at the mercy of her domineering, social-climbing aunt, until she is nearly kidnapped by zombies and falls in with a group of mysterious, black-clad commandos.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,963,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible