Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel

Dearly, Departed

by Lia Habel

336None33,281 (3.96)20

English (66)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (67)

Dearly, Departed started off with a bang and kept my attention right up until the end. I felt that Bram and Nora were well developed characters: Nora being a proper Victorian lady with a little stubborn streak thrown in and Bram, a gentleman...zombie. I didn't care very much for Nora's sidekick friend, Pamma until closer to the end of the story. Habel's many points of view left me sometimes confused and though I did not, I found myself wanting to skip whole chapters of characters I didn't like. The many POV's however, is my only complaint.

I really enjoyed Dearly, Departed. I felt that Lia Habel did a great job on this title overall, and she has created an intricate, well developed world to play with in her work. I am excited to read the sequel, Dearly, Beloved due out this year. ( )
  AJ_Fairchild | Feb 2, 2014 |
Original backdrop,a Victorian Gothic with a edge of futuristic.mechaniZATION heroin so-so, Bram I loved! ( )
  abigail33 | Jan 5, 2014 |
*received ARC via NetGalley*

I'm starting to feel the same way towards zombies that I do about vampires. It's becoming the next way overdone part of the YA repertoire. This book didn't really do it for me, though it had the potential to.

What I liked: Bram and Nora. They were cool. Also liked Pamela sometimes. Didn't like her other times. The characters are very well-written here, and I think that's the strong point of the book. Habel has a talent for characters.

What I didn't like: changing POV. Too many of those just confuses things and makes it hard to get involved in a book. I didn't feel like I could ever truly connect with the characters because just when I thought I would, BAM. POV change. So that doesn't really do it for me.

I'd probably go 2.5 stars here. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
There were too many POV's..which got to be annoying. Other than that, I really enjoyed this. ( )
  alexis909 | Oct 5, 2013 |
Interesting read. A few issues with it (slow to start, underdeveloped characters) but something I would definitely say to read if you like zombies, Victoriana or steampunk.

And Bram...totally adorable even if he is dead.

I'll definitely read the next book in the series.

Full review on my blog HERE ( )
  ThesePrettyWords | Sep 23, 2013 |

In the year 2195 when society is technologically advanced but follows the social mores of Victorian England, recently orphaned Nora Dearly is left at the mercy of her domineering, social-climbing aunt, until she is nearly kidnapped by zombies and falls in with a group of mysterious, black-clad commandos.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible