I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

I Hunt Killers (edition 2012)

by Barry Lyga

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:I Hunt Killers
Authors:Barry Lyga
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both deal with teenagers using the profiling skills gained from their troubled backgrounds to hunt down serial killers (both of which are focused on them). I Hunt Killers' main character Jasper Dent's father was a serial killer who trained him as well. The Naturals' Cassie learned to profile helping her fake psychic mother at shows - and one of her classmates reminds me of Jasper.… (more)
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A serial killer who lives by a personal code of only killing those who have committed horrible crimes and slipped through loopholes in the law.
    I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and voice. Both mid-teens who believe they might become killers and both become hunters in a unique way.
    Rotters by Daniel Kraus (kaledrina)

English (69)  German (1)  All languages (70)
Bona fide page-turner. Could not put down and therefore did not make dinner or do anything else I should have done. Jazz, son of a serial killer, spots the work of another serial killer impersonating his father and sets about catching him with the help of his hemophiliac friend Howie and devoted girlfriend Connie. The climax is unexpected and sets up for a sequel. As good as any adult mystery I've ever read. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | May 15, 2014 |
Very interesting premise; Jazz Dent is the son of a convicted serial killer and is worried that he may have some of dear old dad's tendencies. When someone begins impersonating his father's killing spree, Jazz feels compelled to hunt for the killer and work with local police. There are some wonderful secondary characters in this novel and I very much enjoyed the audio version. Possible series in the future. ( )
  StefanieGeeks | Mar 23, 2014 |
Friend recommended this book to me. I absolutely loved it. I loved it so much that I'm definitely going to search for it at a bookstore soon. It was hilarious and had me in stitches during class. It's also a page-turner. I didn't want to put this book down at all. At the moment, I'm reading 'Game', the sequel of 'I Hunt Killers".

Jasper "Jazz" Dent has a serial killer as a father. There's a father and son bond between the both of them, but only because Jasper's father, Billy Dent, was the master of manipulation. He manipulated Jasper for years by educating him about the techniques of being a serial killer. Lucky for Jazz, his father gets arrested by the police after what seemed like an eternity of crime. Jazz now lived with his grandmother, otherwise known as Billy's mother. Unfortunately for Jazz, his grandmother had an old mind. At times, she would as sweet as a child and other times, she would be as cruel as a demon. Sometimes, she would be "herself", meaning that she would know she was Billy's mother and Jazz's grandmother. For some reason, Jazz's grandmother reminds me of Pookie from Hey Arnold. Anyways, after a couple of years living in Lobo's Nod without any trouble, bodies begin to appear again. After some deep thinking, it 'clicks' and Jazz realizes that the serial killer's pattern is eerily similar to someone close to him. since he had a well-known reputation of being Billy's son, people begin to suspect that he had turned into a murderer. Of course, Jazz has to prove for once and for all that he is different from his father. Just like Billy, he had the ability to think like a serial killer. Unlike Billy, he would use this mind to help stop the madness. ( )
  dentalxdynasty | Mar 18, 2014 |
This is probably the best YA book I've ever read.
The characters are smart, relatable, and while the main character is technically a child, a young adult, he is far from childish.
I love that this tale is darker than most YA, and it doesn't treat the characters like dopes. These young people are wise on their way, driven, and real.
I love that the best friend Howie is a hemophiliac, that the girlfriend is African American, and that the main character is flawed, in many ways weak and conflicted and that he knows he doesn't have it all figured out yet.
More than anything, I like that while this is YA, I don't feel like some weird kid voyeur.
I will read the next book. ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |
Disturbing. Gave me bad dreams. ( )
  amazzuca26 | Feb 8, 2014 |

Barry Lygaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thurston, CharlieReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Alvina. Buchstäblich.
Als Jazz auf das Feld vor der Stadt hinauskam, war schon überall das gelbe Absperrband der Polizei gespannt und bildete eine Art taumelndes, windschiefes Sechseck.

Seventeen-year-old Jazz learned all about being a serial killer from his notorious "Dear Old Dad," but believes he has a conscience that will help fight his own urges and right some of his father's wrongs, so he secretly helps the police apprehend the town's newest murderer, "The Impressionist."… (more)

62 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,097,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible