I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

I Hunt Killers (edition 2012)

by Barry Lyga

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:I Hunt Killers
Authors:Barry Lyga
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both deal with teenagers using the profiling skills gained from their troubled backgrounds to hunt down serial killers (both of which are focused on them). I Hunt Killers' main character Jasper Dent's father was a serial killer who trained him as well. The Naturals' Cassie learned to profile helping her fake psychic mother at shows - and one of her classmates reminds me of Jasper.… (more)
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A serial killer who lives by a personal code of only killing those who have committed horrible crimes and slipped through loopholes in the law.
    I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and voice. Both mid-teens who believe they might become killers and both become hunters in a unique way.
    Rotters by Daniel Kraus (kaledrina)

English (84)  German (1)  All languages (85)
Jasper (Jazz) Dent will never join his dad in a "bring your child to work day"... his father is notorious serial killer, Billy Dent. When a series of copy-cat killings occur, Jazz finds himself a suspect and the prime investigator. Trouble ensues as Billy stays one step behind the murderer until the final climax where their paths cross. Suffice to say, Billy Dent is involved -- even from prison.

A promising premise, well-written, and nicely paced thriller, marred for this reader by its graphic violence. Author Lyga in his attempt to get into the head of a serial murderer spares no details... including a graphic scene of young Jazz killing his own pet dog and a vague memory of doing harm to his own mother. At times, the book seemed almost like a how-to for a serial killer with its creepy, over-the-top details (a human finger 'belt'; injecting Drano (to incite a heart attack), flaying a dog alive... yikes . IHK will appeal to reluctant readers (especially boys?) due to its sensational content and crisp pacing but may be beyond the pale for the faint of heart. ( )
  mjspear | Jun 22, 2015 |
4.5 stars. ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Jazz is the son of the most notorious serial killer the world has ever seen. His father has been grooming him to take over the "family business" for as long as he can remember. But now, four years after his father was caught and sentenced to prison a body has been found in Lobo's Nod, Jazz's hometown. Jazz is convinced a new serial killer is on the loose and that he has the special knowledge that can help capture the killer before more lives are lost. But can Jazz resist the temptations inside him?

This story was riveting. I was disappointed when I had to put it down in order to fulfill the responsibilities of living. Having a look inside Jazz's mind is fascinating and seems like it would be straight out of an episode of "Criminal Minds" I am eager to start the next in the series, "Game". ( )
  literaryperuser | May 19, 2015 |
What if the world's worst serial killer was your father?

That's the question asked by Barry Lyga's new book I Hunt Serial Killers - the question Jasper Dent has to deal with every day of his life. Billy Dent, his father, has been in jail for the past four years, but that doesn't stop the people of Lobo's Nod, the town where they lived (and Jasper still lives) from looking at Jasper "Jazz," strangely.

He might be charming and attractive and he was popular before his father's arrest but now people wonder how long it'll be before he becomes just like his infamous father.

And now bodies are stacking up in Lobo's Nod again. To keep his name clean - and maybe his conscious, too - Jazz is helping the police find the killer. Only, he may be even more like his father than anyone suspects.

I Hunt Killers has a main character in 17-year-old Jazz that will set you on edge. Certain events/recollections are definitely of the skin crawling variety, as well. Without either of those things, though, the novel would not have been nearly as good. The squicky - and frankly, rather gross and disturbing - bits needed to be there.

As much as I Hunt Killers is about finding a killer, it's also about Jazz trying to figure out who he is. Yes, he's the son of a serial killer who killed more than one hundred people and who raised him with knowledge of and talk about those kills . . . but what does that mean for him as he grows older? Is he, like everyone (or who he sees as everyone) seems to think, doomed to follow in his father's footsteps? Or can he turn away from the negativity and be a good person?

Jazz's inner struggle, the mystery, and the crime were all done incredibly well. One element wasn't lacking because of another's presence, they were all strong. The characters were also great. Through Jazz's grandmother we get to see a lot of how family dynamics and upbringing affected both Billy and Jazz - with it being shown and not told, something that makes the effect much stronger. The characters who are closest to Jazz are a lot of fun for their parts in the story. They're unique and original and I loved seeing the parts they played not only in his life but also in the unveiling of the story line as it progressed.

I Hunt Killers also seemed to handle the technical aspects of both the investigation of the murders, the handling of the evidence, etc very well (or if it was wrong it was written in a way that seemed very right).

Rating: 9/10
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
Guilty confession: When I first started this, I was not expecting much. The summary left me skeptical to a good plot but I was determined to try because I had already heard lots of great things about the sequel to this one. What I can say now is that I am so glad I did. This book is so much more than what it seems on the surface!

As I began, I was torn or the style in which the story was presented. At first it seemed short and abrupt. Normally this would annoy me but after the first couple chapters I was quickly captivated by the thought process of young Jasper (more commonly known as Jazz) Dent. Once you get to understand him, the style it is written in makes so much more sense and fits to his personality and lifestyle.

This poor guy has lived a life of hell! A serial killer for a father who's victims were in the triple digits. After his father is caught is stuck with his deranged grandmother. What a crazy coot she is! He is so worried his mentality is like his fathers. He has seen WAY too much horror for his age. How can it not twist a person?

When a new serial killer makes an appearance in his town, Jazz is determined to help solve it. To absolve himself, to clear his name or prove just what kind of person he really is no one knows. Jazz is smart and methodical but no matter how much he tries, he can never escape his father's shadow. Especially when the killers methods strike too close to home for comfort!

I cannot express enough how much I enjoyed this. A great psychological thriller and mystery. The mental battles Jazz goes through are so well described. You really feel you are right there in his brain, working through everything with him. Jazz is terrified of his own capabilities to kill. Questioning if he has killed, figuring how easy it would be to kill... Then trying to solve the crimes and save his friends!

This book goes through a wide range of mental processes one might experience under such a life. Almost makes you wonder about the author... (just kidding!). There is action, violence and death in this book. While it is Young Adult in nature, it is older adult. Do not let the writing style and the lighter chapters at the beginning fool you. This goes dark! It is filled with twists and turns and unexpected moments. I cannot wait to continue the series! ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |

Barry Lygaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thurston, CharlieReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Alvina. Buchstäblich.
Als Jazz auf das Feld vor der Stadt hinauskam, war schon überall das gelbe Absperrband der Polizei gespannt und bildete eine Art taumelndes, windschiefes Sechseck.

Seventeen-year-old Jazz learned all about being a serial killer from his notorious "Dear Old Dad," but believes he has a conscience that will help fight his own urges and right some of his father's wrongs, so he secretly helps the police apprehend the town's newest murderer, "The Impressionist."… (more)

138 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,955,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible