I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

I Hunt Killers (edition 2012)

by Barry Lyga

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:I Hunt Killers
Authors:Barry Lyga
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both deal with teenagers using the profiling skills gained from their troubled backgrounds to hunt down serial killers (both of which are focused on them). I Hunt Killers' main character Jasper Dent's father was a serial killer who trained him as well. The Naturals' Cassie learned to profile helping her fake psychic mother at shows - and one of her classmates reminds me of Jasper.… (more)
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A serial killer who lives by a personal code of only killing those who have committed horrible crimes and slipped through loopholes in the law.
    I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and voice. Both mid-teens who believe they might become killers and both become hunters in a unique way.
    Rotters by Daniel Kraus (kaledrina)

English (101)  German (1)  All (102)
Publishers Weekly, 2013
  CHoosier | Jun 24, 2017 |
Excellent story that explores the question of nature vs. nurture. This book is about a 17-year old high school boy named Jasper “Jazz” Dent, who also happens to be the son of one of the world’s worst serial killers. Serial killer Billy Dent is now in jail, caught by the sheriff of the small town Billy and Jazz called home. From childhood Billy had attempted to train Jazz into “the perfect serial killer”, and Jazz still hears Billy’s voice in his head, full of gruesome encouragement and instruction. Is Jazz destined to be the killer Billy wanted? Jazz just desperately wants to be normal. When a serial killer modeling himself after Dear Old Dad starts killing again in Lobo’s Nob, Jazz becomes determined to thwart fate by catching the killer himself.

This was an exciting book in what is expected to be a new series. Jazz is a sympathetic character and has three people in his life supporting him and looking out for him: G. William, the sheriff who caught his father and tries to look out for Jazz; his best friend Howie, who is a hemophiliac; and Connie, Jazz’s girlfriend who is determined to see and believe the best about Jazz. The ending was a double-surprise to me, and ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. I look forward to the next book in this series.

One caution – the author has previously written books labeled as young adult. ‘I Hunt Killers’ is fairly gruesome in describing the murders and although the protagonist is a teenager, I wouldn’t consider this anything but an adult book.

I’ve also read that this series has been optioned for television by Warner Brothers/Silver Pictures. I look forward to seeing how they translate it to TV. Four and a half stars. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
I'm bailing on this one about 20% of the way through. I don't often bail on a book, but life's too short. To be fair, I borrowed the audio version and don't care for the narrator. IMO, the narrator distracts from getting lost in the story--it's supposed to be from the perspective of a teen boy and it's clearly an adult male voice. Worse, and an aspect of the writing itself, there are many redundancies and phrasing that sounds like an adult trying to do teen. It doesn't work. The amount of times the son refers to his father as "dear old dad" is excessive and grating. I live with two teen boys and I can assure you that neither has ever used the phrase "dear old dad," even ironically. There are others and I just couldn't. It got high reviews, so I might be willing to give it another shot, in a non-audio format. ( )
  angiestahl | May 24, 2017 |
Theoretisch fand ich es gut. Praktisch gesehen konnte ich nicht verstehen, warum es als Jugendliteratur gehandelt wird. Offensichtlich nur, weil Jazz erst 17 Jahre alt ist. Denn schon auf den ersten Seiten werden Dinge beschrieben, die man bei Criminal Minds niemals zu sehen bekommen würde. Es war heftig, blutig, und mit Leichen gespickt. Gleichzeitig fand ich es lächerlich, dass die Polizei Jasper zu jedem Tatort schleppt und die Leichen dort analysieren lässt, aber gleichzeitig das Jugendamt informiert, weil Jaspers Großmutter Alzheimer hat, und das kein Umfeld für ein Kind ist. Logik, Mr. Lyga? Aber sieht man darüber hinweg hat man ein tolles Serienmörderbuch. ( )
  Nomnivor | Jan 12, 2017 |
Interesting book. I wasn't quite sure what to expect and sort of half expected this to be a cheesy crime novel. It had a predictable ending, but the plot overall wasn't that bad. I am looking forward to reading the sequel to get some answers.

READ MY FULL REVIEW ON MY BLOG:
https://bumblebeebooks.wordpress.com/2016/07/25/i-hunt-killers-by-barry-lyga/ ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |

Barry Lygaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thurston, CharlieReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Alvina. Buchstäblich.
Als Jazz auf das Feld vor der Stadt hinauskam, war schon überall das gelbe Absperrband der Polizei gespannt und bildete eine Art taumelndes, windschiefes Sechseck.

Seventeen-year-old Jazz learned all about being a serial killer from his notorious "Dear Old Dad," but believes he has a conscience that will help fight his own urges and right some of his father's wrongs, so he secretly helps the police apprehend the town's newest murderer, "The Impressionist."… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible