I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

I Hunt Killers (edition 2012)

by Barry Lyga

Title:I Hunt Killers
Authors:Barry Lyga
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both deal with teenagers using the profiling skills gained from their troubled backgrounds to hunt down serial killers (both of which are focused on them). I Hunt Killers' main character Jasper Dent's father was a serial killer who trained him as well. The Naturals' Cassie learned to profile helping her fake psychic mother at shows - and one of her classmates reminds me of Jasper.… (more)
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A serial killer who lives by a personal code of only killing those who have committed horrible crimes and slipped through loopholes in the law.
    I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and voice. Both mid-teens who believe they might become killers and both become hunters in a unique way.
    Rotters by Daniel Kraus (kaledrina)

English (96)  German (1)  All languages (97)
First a disclaimer...I read this book because it was assigned to me for a YA Lit class. This is not a book I would ever read if it was not required. I am somewhere between 1 star and 2 stars on this book. Overall it was pretty schmaltzy, overly dramatic, repetitive and needlessly gruesome. I can see where this might be used in a library collection in a High-Low situation (high interest, low reading level) but the subject matter of this book is inappropriate for anyone younger than late teens (in my opinion) and it is written at a 5th or 6th grade level. The author lost me on the "bros before hos" line and then when he described the mutilation of the main characters dog I was completely over it. This is not a book I would recommend be added to my library's collection nor would I recommend it to anyone (particularly YA age) to read. It is a stretch for me to give it the second star. Next... ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
I was gifted a copy of this book via NetGalley. That in no way affects my view or opinion of this book.

This is not a genre I typically read, however, I was drawn into this book from just the first chapter. I liked the characters and was kept guessing throughout the book on who was involved and to what capacity. The ending kept me wanting to read the sequel immediately.

Jazz’s father is the world’s most famous serial killer, and he is intent on not following in his father’s footsteps. However, he hears his father’s voice speaking to him daily, urging him to give in to his impulses, to embrace the killer within. Is Jazz strong enough to be better than that? And how can he protect those closest to him, including his crazy grandmother he lives with, his best friend, and his girlfriend (who is not his father’s typical target)?

I highly recommend you give this book a chance- it is worth the read! I finished this book within two days, and ( )
  annmwilson09 | Aug 9, 2016 |
For months I had seen people rave about the Jasper Dent series. I finally got all 3 books from Book Outlet and decided to give it a try. I plowed through I Hunt Killers in a couple of days because it was so good! First off, the characters. Jasper AKA Jazz is the son of the most notorious serial killer in the US. He is constantly worried that he will turn into his father, who taught him everything he needs to know about pulling off a successful murder without getting caught. To combat this, he decides to help the local cops with a murder investigation that Jazz thinks are the workings of a serial killer. Howie, Jazz's best friend, is his partner in "crime" who is a fun loving, goofy, hemophiliac. I absolutely adored their friendship. They would do anything for each other, no questions asked. Billy Dent, Jazz's serial killer father, is a total creep! It's amazing how insane he is. I don't want to give anything away. The suspense is heart pounding and the short chapters from the killers POV had me looking over my shoulder to make sure that I was truly alone. I spent the entire book trying to guess who the killer was! The book has a crazy ending and I can't wait to read the next book in the series, Game. I suggest you read this book if you haven't already! ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga is a riveting suspense-filled book. I purchased & read it overnight, then had a book hangover. I found myself holding my breath several times as I read.

Jazz was brought up by a serial killer, Billy Dent. Because of his conditioning as a child, he fears he will turn into a serial killer like Dear Old Dad. He hated that Dear Old Dad was almost always right.

This is an intense psychological chiller. I gave it five stars.

Jazz's best friend, Howie is a hemophiliac. Because Howie was fragile, when he was with him, Jazz usually held back. He's willing to do anything with & for Jazz.

Connie, his girlfriend with cornrow hair that she doesn't like touched, keeps him grounded. "The one time he tried that, Connie had lectured him on the Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not touch thy black girlfriend's hair. Ever."

One manipulative skill Jazz developed was: "Jazz could read people. It wasn't something he worked at; it was just as natural as breathing. It was as ordinary as reading a billboard on a highway; you don't really think about the billboard; you just notice it & your brain processes it, & that's that."

He lived with Gramma Dent since Billy had been in prison for the past four years. He described her like this: "As bad as she appeared to the outside world, he knew she was much, much worse. Hateful, spiteful, & crazier than a windsock in a tornado, but family."

A social worker, Melissa Hoover, was working to get him removed from that environment & he didn't want that to happen. "Gramma was made up of skin & bones & hate & crazy--& hate & crazy don't weigh anything."

I look forward to reading Game, its sequel.

It was published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. ( )
  carolyninjoy | Jun 5, 2016 |
I thought this book was so interesting and well done. Considering the subject matter, I would have hesitated to pick this up if it weren't being handled by such a great writer. Barry Lyga does an excellent job with the internal conflict of the son of a serial killer while unraveling a suspenseful murder mystery. The details involving serial killers was well researched and almost disturbingly believable. This is a YA book and the subject matter, while handled very well, is definitely not for every teen as is probably obvious. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Barry Lygaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thurston, CharlieReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Alvina. Buchstäblich.
Als Jazz auf das Feld vor der Stadt hinauskam, war schon überall das gelbe Absperrband der Polizei gespannt und bildete eine Art taumelndes, windschiefes Sechseck.

Seventeen-year-old Jazz learned all about being a serial killer from his notorious "Dear Old Dad," but believes he has a conscience that will help fight his own urges and right some of his father's wrongs, so he secretly helps the police apprehend the town's newest murderer, "The Impressionist."… (more)

113 wanted5 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,759,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible