I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

I Hunt Killers (edition 2012)

by Barry Lyga

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:I Hunt Killers
Authors:Barry Lyga
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both deal with teenagers using the profiling skills gained from their troubled backgrounds to hunt down serial killers (both of which are focused on them). I Hunt Killers' main character Jasper Dent's father was a serial killer who trained him as well. The Naturals' Cassie learned to profile helping her fake psychic mother at shows - and one of her classmates reminds me of Jasper.… (more)
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A serial killer who lives by a personal code of only killing those who have committed horrible crimes and slipped through loopholes in the law.
    I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and voice. Both mid-teens who believe they might become killers and both become hunters in a unique way.
    Rotters by Daniel Kraus (kaledrina)

English (77)  German (1)  All languages (78)
Jasper Dent or Jazz lives in the sleepy small town of Lobo's Nod and everybody knows him. It's not an egotistical observation. He is the son of a very prolific and infamous serial killer. His childhood was filled with crime scenes, murder victims, and the sick training of his father. Now, he works to go against his father's teachings and clings to things that are normal. Then a girl is found murdered in a field, extremely similar to his father's own first murder. And the bodies start piling up and of course people look to Jazz. Can he figure out who the real copycat murderer is and clear his name?

I love books about serial killers. I find their mentality morbidly fascinating and the books are usually delightfully twisted. I Hunt Killers looks into the nature vs. nurture debate on how serial killers are made the way they are. Jazz has obviously been nurtured practically to death to be a serial killer. His instincts are automatic to recognize people's weaknesses and he recognizes how to exploit them. He knows that he's attractive and uses it to his advantage when he can. His father has been in jail for quite some time, but people still see his father and the crimes when they see Jazz. He knows they fully expect him to be just like his father. However, he works against his own instincts. When he recognizes weakness, he doesn't always try to exploit it to the fullest and obviously hasn't killed anyone yet. He keeps close to his best friend Howie, a nerdy hemophiliac, and his no nonsense girlfriend Connie. They bring normalcy to his life and make sure he doesn't go down that serial killer path. He battles with his inner self constantly and it's a really fascinating read.

One of the best things about the book is that, like Rick Yancy's The Monstrumologist, it doesn't shy away from it's own subject matter: murder. Other YA novels tend to try to protect the reader because of the age group it's aimed at, but this one makes no effort to do so. The events are described in detail and Barry Lyga doesn't pull any punches. If you can't handle pretty gory accounts of horrific murders, turn back now. I appreciate that some YA books are super gory and graphic while others aren't, so people can choose for their comfort level. Despite the dark tone and subject matter, the book is actually very funny. Jazz's narrative is full of humor (mostly dark), making me laugh throughout the grisly plot.

I only had one problem with the book. His involvement with the police is a little unbelievable. At first, the police keep him out as they should because he's a high school student, but after the police get really desperate, they allow him to explore the crime scenes and involve him in the investigation. It's the only kind of meh part of a good book, so I overlooked it. I would definitely recommend this to teen and adult horror fans. ( )
  titania86 | Oct 18, 2014 |
I Hunt Killers is a suspenseful book that keeps the reader wanting to know whether the son of famous serial killer, Billy Dent, will indeed follow his father's footsteps into the family business. This book is a must read! ( )
  Michelle_Spires | Oct 17, 2014 |
This book is considered a young adult novel, but I am not sure if the subject matter is suitable for young teenagers. It is the story of a teenage boy whose father is a serial killer. I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but was pleasantly surprised and immediately drawn into the book.
The author manages to create an extremely likeable main character and I was quickly intrigued with his internal struggle: Does the fact that his Dad is a serial killer (combined with the way he raised him) mean that he is destined to kill? The author also manages to add humor to the mix so a book that could be very heavy is a nice read.

Highly recommended...well worth the read. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Oct 13, 2014 |
"People matter. People are real." Jasper (Jazz) Dent recites this mantra frequently to remind himself of what he wasn’t taught by his father, the deadliest serial killer in history. His father, whose dream is to see Jazz usurp his place, spent Jazz’s childhood instructing him in the best methods of murder. Four years after his father’s arrest, however, Jazz is struggling for normalcy, but he’s interrupted by the emergence of a new local serial killer, which awakens in him a fierce desire to apprehend the murderer to prove that he won’t become the killer he’s afraid he’s fated to be.

Although the mystery of the new serial killer is intriguing, the novel’s true strength lays in Jazz’s internal struggle between the person he wants to be, and the person his father—and at times, even himself—expects him to be. Jazz’s charm jumps right off the page, and readers will perhaps be surprised to find themselves captivated by Jazz’s charisma, despite chilling confessions about killing: “It’s not that I want to or don’t want to. It’s just…I can. I could.” Jazz is an incredibly compelling character, and readers will undeniably—and oftentimes uncomfortably—be drawn to him.

A word of caution: this book isn’t for squeamish readers—anecdotes about Jazz’s childhood, in addition to the graphic depictions of crime scenes (including sexual violence)—are not for the easily disturbed. However, for older (and stronger-stomached) readers who enjoy both an enthralling mystery and a psychological struggle, I Hunt Killers successfully satisfies both. Highly recommended. Grades 9 and up. ( )
  krmajor | Oct 2, 2014 |
Seventeen-year-old Jasper wanted a normal life but having Billy Dent, a serial killer, for a father meant life could never be normal. It’s been four years since his father’s crime spree came to an end with his capture and arrest. However, all the years of having fatherly lessons drilled into his head for maiming and killing, which included hands-on demonstrations, has made Jazz think he could one day become Billy Dent: Killer #2. Read the rest of the review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/09/27/i-hunt-killers-barry-lyga/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 27, 2014 |

Barry Lygaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thurston, CharlieReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Alvina. Buchstäblich.
Als Jazz auf das Feld vor der Stadt hinauskam, war schon überall das gelbe Absperrband der Polizei gespannt und bildete eine Art taumelndes, windschiefes Sechseck.

Seventeen-year-old Jazz learned all about being a serial killer from his notorious "Dear Old Dad," but believes he has a conscience that will help fight his own urges and right some of his father's wrongs, so he secretly helps the police apprehend the town's newest murderer, "The Impressionist."… (more)

62 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,950,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible