I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

I Hunt Killers (edition 2012)

by Barry Lyga

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:I Hunt Killers
Authors:Barry Lyga
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both deal with teenagers using the profiling skills gained from their troubled backgrounds to hunt down serial killers (both of which are focused on them). I Hunt Killers' main character Jasper Dent's father was a serial killer who trained him as well. The Naturals' Cassie learned to profile helping her fake psychic mother at shows - and one of her classmates reminds me of Jasper.… (more)
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A serial killer who lives by a personal code of only killing those who have committed horrible crimes and slipped through loopholes in the law.
    I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and voice. Both mid-teens who believe they might become killers and both become hunters in a unique way.
    Rotters by Daniel Kraus (kaledrina)

English (72)  German (1)  All languages (73)
No one knows what it was like for Jazz growing up, except for maybe the man who rescued him and even he knows very little of the truth. Until behind bars, Jazz endured years of abuse at the hands of his father. At times he would even take Jazz along for some of his kills. He was grooming him to be better than himself, as most fathers do with their sons.
For years Jazz withstood the abuse his father threw at him, all the while presenting the facade of normality to the good folks of Lobos Nod. He went to school. He came home. Sometimes, he even went on outings with his father, only to awaken the next day and repeat the entire scenario for the world around him. The spell was finally broken when the sheriff captured his father and met him making a decision.
I HUNT KILLERS gives us a story from the killers point of view. It gives us an impression of how things are for those living with the serial killers in this world. We see things through their eyes. We get a glimpse of how they are treated, through no fault of their own. We get to see some of the things the family feels as they attempt to live their everyday lives. This story tells us something unique and is engaging. The reader finds himself feeling sorry for people they hate, yet disliking actions of those he feels sorry for. ( )
  Teritree001971 | Sep 9, 2014 |
It's a little unsettling to read a serial killer novel intended for a teen audience but Barry Lyga has created an interesting character in Jazz Dent. In the small town where he was raised, Jazz has to live with the reality that his father, Billy, is a notorious serial killer. Beyond that, Jazz has to live with what he unwittingly learned from his father - how to stalk victims, how to kill, and how to get away with it. So, when copycat murders are committed, Jazz doubts himself - does he really want to help local sheriff G. Williams, catch this murderer, too, or is Jazz's interest in the killings the result of being his father's son? Well-written and creepy. ( )
  bookappeal | Aug 31, 2014 |
Wow. This puts the nature vs. nurture debate in a whole new light. Makes you wonder who is worried about themselves and what they are thinking. Very well written for such a hard subject. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Bona fide page-turner. Could not put down and therefore did not make dinner or do anything else I should have done. Jazz, son of a serial killer, spots the work of another serial killer impersonating his father and sets about catching him with the help of his hemophiliac friend Howie and devoted girlfriend Connie. The climax is unexpected and sets up for a sequel. As good as any adult mystery I've ever read. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | May 15, 2014 |
Very interesting premise; Jazz Dent is the son of a convicted serial killer and is worried that he may have some of dear old dad's tendencies. When someone begins impersonating his father's killing spree, Jazz feels compelled to hunt for the killer and work with local police. There are some wonderful secondary characters in this novel and I very much enjoyed the audio version. Possible series in the future. ( )
  StefanieGeeks | Mar 23, 2014 |

Barry Lygaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thurston, CharlieReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Alvina. Buchstäblich.
Als Jazz auf das Feld vor der Stadt hinauskam, war schon überall das gelbe Absperrband der Polizei gespannt und bildete eine Art taumelndes, windschiefes Sechseck.

Seventeen-year-old Jazz learned all about being a serial killer from his notorious "Dear Old Dad," but believes he has a conscience that will help fight his own urges and right some of his father's wrongs, so he secretly helps the police apprehend the town's newest murderer, "The Impressionist."… (more)

62 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,801,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible