For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana…

For Darkness Shows the Stars

by Diana Peterfreund

When I heard that Diana Peterfreund was doing a Jane Austen revamp based in a futuristic society, I was practically hopping in my seat with excitement. I was really looking forward to it and when For Darkness Shows the Stars hit the shelves and I finally got to read it, I couldn’t put it down. I loved it!

For Darkness Shows the Stars is based on Jane Austen’s Persuasion. The plot sticks very close to its predecessor and in the futuristic setting, this worked. Elliot lives in a word that has been negatively affected by scientific advancements - particularly on a biological level - and her class (the Luddites), who shunned these advancements, feel charged to help the Posts and the Reduced whose ancestors destroyed the world. When Kai - a Post servant on her father’s estate - asks her to run away with him, she rejects him in favour for her home, where she felt she would be of greater value. Then, the two meet again a few years later with Kai in a better position than Elliot, when Kai and his new friends rent Elliot’s grandfather’s estate to build a ship; and the fun begins!

I absolutely loved this book and I pretty much devoured it! It was well paced, packed with tension and beautifully written. I only had two problems with the story on a whole; first, I wished there was a little more world building, however, I had no issues understanding the world and how it functioned, the characters were able to show this without lengthy descriptions and information dumps. The second thing was that there were times when the children (the letters between young Elliot and Kai) didn’t really sound like children though they probably sounded that way because of the culture they grew up in. If we had a better glance into how they grew up, this confusion might have been avoided.

The story followed Persuasion closely, but did not feel forced, mainly due to the setting that Elliot lived in. And what I really loved was that you didn’t have to read Persuasion to understand the story, it stood on its own. Fans of Jane Austen will definitely love this book.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Readers will be spellbound by the dystopian romance that is For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund. Elliot North a Luddite noble is living in the past and the future in a world where all genetic experimentation is banned. Still hung up on a lost love Kai Elliot must break the rules fro the sake of her farm and hope to not get caught but when Kai returns her whole life is turned upside down. I loved how the past in this story is told through letters between Kai and Elliot it made the novel more engaging and interesting. The plot line of this story is very interesting and the world makes great commentary on our scientific experiments and one possibility for our future. I gave this book three stars because while the world itself was intriguing it was not well built or explained and I didn't think the ending wrapped up very well. I would recommend this book to science fiction lovers and readers in middle school or high school. ( )
  rebeccabarer | Aug 22, 2016 |
Jane Austen’s Persuasion gets a post-apocalyptic makeover in For Darkness Shows the Stars. Set in a future where part of the population has been rendered mute and mentally handicapped by genetic modification gone wrong, the story centers on Elliot North, a young woman from the Luddite aristocracy that now rules the island, and Malakai Wentforth, a captain in the Cloud Fleet. Four years ago, duty and loyalty to North Estate and those she is responsible for prevented Elliot from running away with the love of her life, Kai, a servant on her family’s estate. In the years since she has worked to keep the estate intact, a task made more difficult all the time by her spendthrift father and sister, both of whom resent and abuse her. But Kai has returned to the North Estate, now a wealthy captain, and their every interaction leaves Elliot reeling from Kai’s anger and derision.

Appropriate for all teen readers, For Darkness Shows The Stars shows how love can sustain and transform us, make us question the status quo, and inspire us to hold on to hope when all seems lost. Alternating between prose and the childhood letters exchanged by Kai and Elliot, their love, anger, and longing are visceral, flowing from the pages; and readers follow along, hoping that Elliot will find a way to save the estate and the protect the people who depend on its success while also getting what she wants most, the love of a boy she fell in love with years ago. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. Who wouldn't love a post-apocolyptic, sci-fi, steampunkish retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasian? I liked it so much I loaned it out to a coworker before returning it to the library. Great book. ( )
  ajsteadman | Apr 20, 2016 |
I loved this imaginative retelling of Jane Austen's persuasion.

The futuristic setting is well imagined and the characters ring true. And the plot, even if I knew the original, never ceased to surprise me.

A most satisfying read.

CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
added by Katya0133 | editThe Horn Book Guide, April Spisak (Sep 1, 2012)

Readers will keep turning the pages right up to the end.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal., Leigh Collazo (Jun 1, 2012)

A post-apocalyptic retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion scores high for ingenuity but loses points with sledgehammer morality.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2012)

Is a retelling of

There could have been no two hearts so open, no tastes so similar, no feelings so in unison, no countenances so beloved. Now they were as strangers; nay, worse than strangers, for they could never become acquainted. It was a perpetual estrangement.

Jane Austen, Persuasion
Anne did not wish for more of such looks and speeches. His cold politeness, his ceremonious grace, were worse than anything.

Jane Austen, Persuasion
I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You piece my soul.

For my mother, who loves Jane Austen as much as I do,

And my daughter, who I hope one day will.
Elliot North raced across the pasture, leaving a scar of green in the silver, dew-encrusted grass.

It's been several generations since a genetic experiment gone wrong caused the Reduction, decimating humanity and giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.

Elliot North has always known her place in this world. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family's estate over love. Since then the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress, and Elliot's estate is foundering, forcing her to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth--an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliot wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she let him go.

But Elliot soon discovers her old friend carries a secret--one that could change their society . . . or bring it to its knees. And again, she's faced with a choice: cling to what she's been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she's ever loved, even if she's lost him forever.

Inspired by Jane Austen's "Persuasion", "For Darkness Shows the Stars" is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.

"Elliot North fights to save her family's land and her own heart in this post-apocalyptic reimaging of Jane Austen's PERSUASION"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,838,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible