The Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is…

The Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding from You (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Eli Pariser

4251924,867 (3.89)11
Member:tomas.marek
Title:The Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding from You
Authors:Eli Pariser
Info:Penguin Press HC, The (2011), Edition: 1st ptg, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:internet, personalizace, informační společnost, Brno, půjčeno

The Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding from You by Eli Pariser (2011)

English (17)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (19)
The topic here is crucial, and I thank Eli Pariser for entering into the conversation with a well-researched book instead of just a post on social media. I love the flow of the book's topics, but the sections in some chapters get a little bit loaded with definitions of expert lingo or snippets of examples which are inserted every few sentences. But when he is commenting on where this all might be taking us and how we can act within it, I think this is where Pariser really hits his stride in this book. The lingo and research are interesting, but this is a crucial situation and he writes with non-alarmist urgency about our need to be aware and active in how this all shakes out. ( )
  Brian.Gunderson | Oct 14, 2013 |
A thought-provoking, if somewhat repetitive, examination of the notion of the intenet 'filter bubble', whereby increasing (automated) personalisation traps you in self-referencing feedback loops. Pariser's thesis is that this dulls you to broader social concerns, and that you're less likely to be exposed to something genuinely new (and possibly even contrary) to your way of thinking. I find this argument fairly compelling, although I also have to recognise that this is hardly unique to the internet, as all media and information sources are curated to some extent (yes, even libraries, says the librarian). However, the degree to which we’re being presented with information supposedly honed to our personal interests is unprecedented, and that thought makes me itchy. I find the book's real importance lies in its reminders that so much of our personal information is held in the hands of a few powerful companies, and more often than not, we simply don't know what that information is and what they're doing with it. ( )
1 vote salimbol | May 14, 2013 |
A thought-provoking look at how personalized internet services are shaping our reality without our knowledge. ( )
  chaosmogony | Apr 27, 2013 |
Eli Pariser offers not just a diagnosis of a problem but also some ideas for making a start at addressing it. I especially liked the suggestions for individuals he includes in his final chapter along with the suggestions for businesses and governments. This book will change the way you interact with Facebook, Google, and the internet as a whole. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Har inte läst hela boken ännu. Den handlar om hur rekommendationssystem styr oss till att bli ekon av våra egna röster. I filterbubblan kan vi inte se vad vi borde se, saker som är kontroversiella för oss och strider mot vår världsbild.
  semanticdave380 | Apr 5, 2013 |
To my grandfather, Ray Pariser, who taught me that scientific knowledge is best used in the pursuit of a better world. And to my community of family and friends, who fill my bubble with intelligence, humor, and love.
Few people noticed the post that appeared on Google's corporate blog on December 4, 2009. (Introduction)

The hidden rise of personalization on the Internet is controlling--and limiting--the information we consume. In 2009, Google began customizing its search results. Instead of giving you the most broadly popular result, Google now tries to predict what you are most likely to click on. According to MoveOn.org board president Eli Pariser, this change is symptomatic of the most significant shift to take place on the Web in recent years--the rise of personalization. Though the phenomenon has gone largely undetected until now, personalized filters are sweeping the Web, creating individual universes of information for each of us. Data companies track your personal information to sell to advertisers, from your political leanings to the hiking boots you just browsed on Zappos. In a personalized world, we will increasingly be typed and fed only news that is pleasant, familiar, and confirms our beliefs--and because these filters are invisible, we won't know what is being hidden from us. Our past interests will determine what we are exposed to in the future, leaving less room for the unexpected encounters that spark creativity, innovation, and the democratic exchange of ideas.--From publisher description.… (more)

82 wanted3 pay5 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,484,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible