Reamde: A Novel by Neal Stephenson

Reamde: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Neal Stephenson

Member:JaredMcLaine
Title:Reamde: A Novel
Authors:Neal Stephenson
Info:William Morrow (2011), Hardcover, 1056 pages
Collections:Audio Book, Calibre, Your library

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Recently added byapostate, robertgrey, rena200, brianhalberg, kvrfan, private library, gyme, CarolineNH, cwallen, nasrat
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (mhcityplanner)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Anonymous user)
    Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson (Galorette)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (kjforrest)
    kjforrest: Both books cover gaming, gold farming and economics in an interesting way. For The Win is much shorter and a better read, but Reamde is good too.
    Halting State by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)
    The Bloodline Feud (Merchant Princes Omnibus 1) by Charles Stross (Anonymous user)
    Bad Feminist: Essays by Roxane Gay (themulhern)
    themulhern: There has been some talk about Stephenson's female characters and some assertion that he is anti-feminist. My feeling is that he is, perhaps, writing his female characters as "bad feminists" in the sense that Roxane Gay uses that term in this collection of essays.… (more)

English (140)  German (3)  French (1)  All languages (144)
LONG book! This could probably have been a series... Having said that, there was enough going on to keep it moving along. My husband and I listened to this audiobook in the car on our trips, and there were several times we decided to take a drive to listen to more of the story. It actually has several storylines that enmesh nicely, and co-ordinate in the end. It holds interest, and kept us coming back to find out what happens next, but we still kept going back and saying, "How much more of this IS there?" I like Stephenson's writing, but was still glad to be finished. ( )
  CarolineNH | May 22, 2015 |
After Snow Crash and The Diamond Age--both fast paced sf adventure romps, Neal Stephenson took on much weightier topics (and wrote much weightier books). Reamde represents a spiral-like return to his earlier roots. "Spiral-like" in that he's returned with an improved skillset. He is able to juggle many more threads (writes from the point if view if at least ten characters, covers MMPORGs, international espionage, terrorist cells, militias, in one fell swoop), has command of much more material (the details of MMPORGS world building, the geography of Seattle, Xiamen, and the northwest Canada-US border region, the bureaucracy of MI6, the CIA, and to an extent the Russian mob), and is even better at nailing endings. This enables him to create a plausible 21st century thriller that reminds me a great deal of Snow Crash given its breakneck pace, but remains deeply rooted in reality. Well, to be fair, a reality in which an attempt by a russian gangster to re-acquire money stolen by a chinese hacker via a computer game virus (REAMDE) ends up bringing in a high evel Al-Queda operative.

I consider Reamde Snow Crash 2.0. And that's high praise. ( )
  kspence | May 19, 2015 |
This is a very long book. Very long. Basically it's a hacker/terrorist action thriller. Except because its so detailed and well, long, it doesn't exactly "zip" like many action books. What redeems it is that Stephenson is clearly very very talented (this is the first book of his I have read).

That said, giving it three stars because it is so slow to get going and I was not found of the fact that he has so so much Almost needless detail and loves to jump from point if view to point of view and back and forth in time. This break in the flow of the story was mildly annoying. For these reasons I give it 3 stars instead of 4.

Recommend however if you have the time. ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
I haven't read any of Stephenson's work in a while, and this was a good reminder of why he is one of my favorite authors. He weaves together a multitude of topics such as massive multiplayer online games, the Russian mafia, and outdoor survival. His descriptions of modern Chinese culture seemed spot on and really reminded me of my own time spent there. My only complaint is that, at times, it was tough to keep track of all the different characters. However, this may have been due to only having small moments to read the book while taking care of two young kiddos. It's an interesting and fun read. ( )
  EllsbethB | May 9, 2015 |
I wanted to like this book so much more than I could.

The characters were consistently unbelievable, acting in ways which didn't fit their supposed culture, history, or demonstrated personality. One particularly brazen example was a hip black Seattleite casually stereotyping a woman as a "dyke" because of the woman's clothing and hairstyle (a pixie cut!).

I kept reading long after I had lost interest, hoping to be hooked back in. Instead, I was frustrated by plot holes and Deus Ex Machinas. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
All of Stephenson's fiction has thrilling moments (and as his novels tend to be big, those moments can go on for many, many pages), but this is the first of his books that is nothing but a thriller, one that will sit comfortably on shelves weighed down by, say, the complete works of Robert Ludlum.
added by dcozy | editThe Japan Times, David Cozy (Nov 27, 2011)

Sci-fi geeks flock to the master's wildly complex novels -- but his latest, "Reamde," is maddeningly conventional
added by bertilak | editSalon, Andrew Leonard (Sep 19, 2011)

REAMDE, Stephenson's latest novel [...] is a book that represents a new kind of equilibrium in Stephenson's literary canon: a book that is simultaneously as baroque as System of the World and as cleanly and crisply finished as Anathem. It is, in other words, a triumph, all 980 pages of it
added by r.orrison | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 14, 2011)

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hillgartner, MalcolmReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iacobelli, JamesCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richard kept his head down.  Not all those cow pies were frozen, and the ones that were could turn an ankle.
"Fate has given us a totally awesome foe." -Qian Yuxia

Four decades ago Richard Forthrast, the black sheep of his Iowa-based family, fled to a wild and mountainous corner of British Columbia to avoid the draft. Quickly realizing that he could make a lot of fast cash carrying backpack loads of high-grade marijuana across the border into Northern Idaho he began to amass an enormous and illegal fortune. Living an affluent but lonely and monotonous life in B.C., Richard became addicted to the online fantasy game World of Warcraft and like many serious players of the game he also fell into the habit of purchasing viral gold pieces and other desirables from Chinese gold farmers—young men who make a living playing the game and accumulating virtual weapons and armor that can be sold to American and European buyers who have more money than time. Luckily for Richard, it was the perfect opportunity to launder his aging hundred dollar bills and begin a new business venture to further expand his fortune.

Now the head of a major computer gaming group called Corporation 9592 with its own super-successful online fantasy game, T’Rain, Forthrast is caught in the center of a global thriller and a virtual war for dominance that is accidentally triggered by a young gold farmer.
A fast-paced thriller
Hackers, mobsters, terrorists
Done Stephenson-style

(saltmanz)

When his own high-tech start up turns into a Fortune 500 computer gaming group, Richard Forthrast, the black sheep of an Iowa family who has amassed an illegal fortune, finds the line between fantasy and reality becoming blurred when a virtual war for dominance is triggered.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Reamde by Neal Stephenson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,282,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible