Reamde: A Novel by Neal Stephenson

Reamde: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Neal Stephenson

Title:Reamde: A Novel
Authors:Neal Stephenson
Info:William Morrow (2011), Hardcover, 1056 pages
Collections:Audio Book, Calibre, Your library

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (mhcityplanner)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Anonymous user)
    Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson (Galorette)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (kjforrest)
    kjforrest: Both books cover gaming, gold farming and economics in an interesting way. For The Win is much shorter and a better read, but Reamde is good too.
    Halting State by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)
    The Bloodline Feud: The Family Trade and The Hidden Family by Charles Stross (Anonymous user)
    Bad Feminist: Essays by Roxane Gay (themulhern)
    themulhern: There has been some talk about Stephenson's female characters and some assertion that he is anti-feminist. My feeling is that he is, perhaps, writing his female characters as "bad feminists" in the sense that Roxane Gay uses that term in this collection of essays.… (more)

English (157)  German (3)  French (1)  All languages (161)
I often have multiple books that I read, and switch back and forth between them. Not this one; it was compelling, and I finished it in days, because it was just nearly impossible to put down. Stephenson never disappoints, but this is still one of his best. As I do with most truly worthwhile books that start out on my kindle, I'll still acquire a paper copy. I'll put it right next to Cryptonomicon (another favorite).

Updating to add that this review is now on the paper copy. I've deleted it from the Kindle version (no sense having an identical review).

This was, and is, one of Neal's best, and completely worth reading multiple times. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Sep 10, 2016 |
Yes, I gave in. My love for the Neal is greater than my hate for Harper Collins price-gouging. But they can blow me on the Kindle pricing. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
You have to love a book with an Apostropocalypse AND a shout out to Charlotte Bronte. Or, I have to love it. This was a great ride from start to finish. ( )
  rlsalvati | Jul 5, 2016 |
Gripping. As usual with Stephenson, crazy level of detail and heaps of digressions.
  supremumlimit | Apr 29, 2016 |
I could not finish this book, so this review is based on just the first 525 pages.

Reamde was an enormous disappointment. I read good reviews and was really looking forward to a new Stephenson after the fascinating Anathem. But what for a while seemed like an interesting plot against the background of a MMORPG devolved into a turgid, poorly-paced action/thriller with cardboard characters and an almost complete lack of narrative drive. I persevered for hundreds of pages through a tedious action sequence in Xiamen, hoping desperately that somehow the characters were being maneuvered into situations that would let the author return to something interesting, but it was not to be. I cheated, and read a few reviews on Amazon to see if I could get a hint about the second half of the book, but abandoned all hope when the reviews talked about a long shootout sequence at the end.

If there was one interesting takeaway from the book, it was to see how an author as gifted as Stephenson could do such a bad job with action/thriller, a genre handled much better by less talented writers in any number of pulp airport books. ( )
1 vote quokka70 | Apr 24, 2016 |
All of Stephenson's fiction has thrilling moments (and as his novels tend to be big, those moments can go on for many, many pages), but this is the first of his books that is nothing but a thriller, one that will sit comfortably on shelves weighed down by, say, the complete works of Robert Ludlum.
added by dcozy | editThe Japan Times, David Cozy (Nov 27, 2011)
Sci-fi geeks flock to the master's wildly complex novels -- but his latest, "Reamde," is maddeningly conventional
added by bertilak | editSalon, Andrew Leonard (Sep 19, 2011)
REAMDE, Stephenson's latest novel [...] is a book that represents a new kind of equilibrium in Stephenson's literary canon: a book that is simultaneously as baroque as System of the World and as cleanly and crisply finished as Anathem. It is, in other words, a triumph, all 980 pages of it
added by r.orrison | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 14, 2011)

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hillgartner, MalcolmReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iacobelli, JamesCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richard kept his head down.  Not all those cow pies were frozen, and the ones that were could turn an ankle.
"Fate has given us a totally awesome foe." -Qian Yuxia

Four decades ago Richard Forthrast, the black sheep of his Iowa-based family, fled to a wild and mountainous corner of British Columbia to avoid the draft. Quickly realizing that he could make a lot of fast cash carrying backpack loads of high-grade marijuana across the border into Northern Idaho he began to amass an enormous and illegal fortune. Living an affluent but lonely and monotonous life in B.C., Richard became addicted to the online fantasy game World of Warcraft and like many serious players of the game he also fell into the habit of purchasing viral gold pieces and other desirables from Chinese gold farmers—young men who make a living playing the game and accumulating virtual weapons and armor that can be sold to American and European buyers who have more money than time. Luckily for Richard, it was the perfect opportunity to launder his aging hundred dollar bills and begin a new business venture to further expand his fortune.

Now the head of a major computer gaming group called Corporation 9592 with its own super-successful online fantasy game, T’Rain, Forthrast is caught in the center of a global thriller and a virtual war for dominance that is accidentally triggered by a young gold farmer.
A fast-paced thriller
Hackers, mobsters, terrorists
Done Stephenson-style

When his own high-tech start up turns into a Fortune 500 computer gaming group, Richard Forthrast, the black sheep of an Iowa family who has amassed an illegal fortune, finds the line between fantasy and reality becoming blurred when a virtual war for dominance is triggered.… (more)

355 wanted6 pay9 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Reamde by Neal Stephenson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,764,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible