Reamde: A Novel by Neal Stephenson

Reamde: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Neal Stephenson

Member:JaredMcLaine
Title:Reamde: A Novel
Authors:Neal Stephenson
Info:William Morrow (2011), Hardcover, 1056 pages
Collections:Audio Book, Calibre, Your library

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Recently added bypurdie, ak.loekli, fileuse, mucp55, BNPLibrary, strangedata, timetunnel, private library, bibliobrown
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (mhcityplanner)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Anonymous user)
    Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson (Galorette)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (kjforrest)
    kjforrest: Both books cover gaming, gold farming and economics in an interesting way. For The Win is much shorter and a better read, but Reamde is good too.
    Halting State by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)
    The Bloodline Feud: A Merchant Princes Omnibus by Charles Stross (Anonymous user)
    Bad Feminist: Essays by Roxane Gay (themulhern)
    themulhern: There has been some talk about Stephenson's female characters and some assertion that he is anti-feminist. My feeling is that he is, perhaps, writing his female characters as "bad feminists" in the sense that Roxane Gay uses that term in this collection of essays.… (more)

English (162)  German (3)  French (1)  All (166)
The good: without exception, the principal characters in this one are extremely interesting and extremely likable, and they come with quite varied backgrounds. A Vietnam War dodger who is now a rich man due to the MMORPG world that he created. An adopted Eritrean daughter/niece who is both smart and as tough as nails. A couple of Russians with hearts of gold, one an enforcer and one a tech geek. A Chinese hacker. A Chinese girl thrust into the mix with no warning, but with the wherewithal to do herself proud in the end. A grizzled CIA/special forces type who's good in a pinch. An Mi6 agent whose Asian heritage makes her a natural to be in a position to get sucked into things. And the story line is very good, as well. Imagine if Second Life or World of Warcraft were to play a major role in the setup and resolution of a story and you have a good idea of what "T'Rain" does here. The bad: this thing really could have used a solid editor and some belt-tightening. In particular, the ending (essentially a showdown in Idaho, with all of the principal characters more or less reuniting after being apart for a good chunk of the novel) could have been--and arguably *should* have been--much, much shorter. Heck, that bit alone was longer than many other novels in their entirety. Still, if I'm gonna read a long, long novel, it may as well be something from someone as good as Stephenson, but I just hate to think of him and "slogging through" in the same breath. And I would be lying if I were to deny that there were times here when I truly was slogging through here.
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
Far far too long - this would have been a good book at 350 pages but 1050 it was not. Pace started to pick up around p650 but then the last 100 pages dragged. Interesting concept but poorly executed. ( )
  rlangston | May 26, 2017 |
When I find a Neal Stephenson's novel next up to read, I look at it with a mixture of anticipation and resignation. His novels are invariably entertaining, very interesting, and well worth reading; but the committment level must be there, because the reading time isn't measured in days but in weeks.
Reamde is a long book, full of interesting details of gaming, hacking, guns, revolutionaries, and the back-woods of Idaho/Canada. The most interesting parts of the book to me were the in-game descriptions where most of the beginning and middle of the book spent most of its time. The last third of the book is a standard chase through the Northwest with guns ablazing.
While entertaining, I can't help but think about what kind of book this could have been if he had somehow stayed in the virtual world longer. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
Excellent book. A fast paced read that draws you deep in. I could hardly put it down. Read it in 3 days. ( )
  danojacks | Jan 5, 2017 |
This is now the second book by Stephenson that I have abandoned.
I made it to around page 240 which is merely 1/4 of the way through this giant doorstop of a book.
Brevity lives in a faraway land for Mr. Stephenson and he does not travel there often.
My god, where does he get the time to churn out these monster novels?

The truth is that he is actually a very good writer. He writes confidently and with deep knowledge of his subject (in this case, the world of online video games as the backdrop for a thriller).
But, oh man is this guy wordy. As I said in my other review, he is the anti-Hemingway.

I just could not hang in there. I couldn't slog through to the end.

However, if you like online video games I would definitely recommend that you pick up this book. It is rich with interesting detail about the intricacies of online gaming and how worlds are created and players interact.

As you might guess, I have never played an online video game in my life and in the end, was just not that interested in the level of detail that Stephenson presents. The thriller theme woven through the novel was actually pretty good with very good characters and a well-strung plot.

If you like long books, I mean really long books and if you like video games you might really enjoy Reamde.

I did, but not enough to make it to the end.
  blnq | Dec 27, 2016 |
All of Stephenson's fiction has thrilling moments (and as his novels tend to be big, those moments can go on for many, many pages), but this is the first of his books that is nothing but a thriller, one that will sit comfortably on shelves weighed down by, say, the complete works of Robert Ludlum.
added by dcozy | editThe Japan Times, David Cozy (Nov 27, 2011)

Sci-fi geeks flock to the master's wildly complex novels -- but his latest, "Reamde," is maddeningly conventional
added by bertilak | editSalon, Andrew Leonard (Sep 19, 2011)

REAMDE, Stephenson's latest novel [...] is a book that represents a new kind of equilibrium in Stephenson's literary canon: a book that is simultaneously as baroque as System of the World and as cleanly and crisply finished as Anathem. It is, in other words, a triumph, all 980 pages of it
added by r.orrison | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 14, 2011)

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gräbener-Müller, JulianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hillgartner, MalcolmReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iacobelli, JamesCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stingl, NikolausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richard kept his head down.  Not all those cow pies were frozen, and the ones that were could turn an ankle.
"Fate has given us a totally awesome foe." -Qian Yuxia

Four decades ago Richard Forthrast, the black sheep of his Iowa-based family, fled to a wild and mountainous corner of British Columbia to avoid the draft. Quickly realizing that he could make a lot of fast cash carrying backpack loads of high-grade marijuana across the border into Northern Idaho he began to amass an enormous and illegal fortune. Living an affluent but lonely and monotonous life in B.C., Richard became addicted to the online fantasy game World of Warcraft and like many serious players of the game he also fell into the habit of purchasing viral gold pieces and other desirables from Chinese gold farmers—young men who make a living playing the game and accumulating virtual weapons and armor that can be sold to American and European buyers who have more money than time. Luckily for Richard, it was the perfect opportunity to launder his aging hundred dollar bills and begin a new business venture to further expand his fortune.

Now the head of a major computer gaming group called Corporation 9592 with its own super-successful online fantasy game, T’Rain, Forthrast is caught in the center of a global thriller and a virtual war for dominance that is accidentally triggered by a young gold farmer.
A fast-paced thriller
Hackers, mobsters, terrorists
Done Stephenson-style

(saltmanz)

When his own high-tech start up turns into a Fortune 500 computer gaming group, Richard Forthrast, the black sheep of an Iowa family who has amassed an illegal fortune, finds the line between fantasy and reality becoming blurred when a virtual war for dominance is triggered.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Neal Stephenson's book Reamde was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,039,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible