A Plague Year by Edward Bloor

A Plague Year

by Edward Bloor

I was promised zombies, and a strange version was presented: a town is taken over not by the undead but by the real-life version -- meth addicts. I liked the references to Defoe, but the author is pretty heavy-handed with the themes, which might be unappealing to teens. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Jan 26, 2014 |
I had only skimmed the book jacket for Bloor's book and actually thought I was going to be reading a zombie novel, but what I got was so much better.
A Plague Year is about zombies, but the kind that come from being addicted to drugs, meth in this case. It's the story of a small town (it could be my hometown, etc) destroyed by the drug. It's frighteningly realistic, it's compellingly written and it's vivid and moving. I liked the main character, Tom, and I liked the idea that Tom and his friends were strong enough to fight back. The story is also set against the background of September 11th, which makes it even more compelling. I highly recommend this book because it makes you think in a way that many books (YA or Adult) fail at, but also because it's relevant (to our lives and our interests). ( )
  callmecayce | Feb 16, 2012 |

It's 2001 and zombies have taken over Tom's town. Meth zombies. The drug rips through Blackwater, PA, with a ferocity and a velocity that overwhelms everyone.

It starts small, with petty thefts of cleaning supplies and Sudafed from the supermarket where Tom works. But by year's end there will be ruined, hollow people on every street corner. Meth will unmake the lives of friends and teachers and parents. It will fill the prisons, and the morgues.

Tom's always been focused on getting out of his depressing coal mining town, on planning his escape to a college somewhere sunny and far away. But as bits of his childhood erode around him, he finds it's not so easy to let go. With the selfless heroism of the passengers on United Flight 93 that crashed nearby fresh in his mind and in his heart, Tom begins to see some reasons to stay, to see that even lost causes can be worth fighting for.

Edward Bloor has created a searing portrait of a place and a family and a boy who survive a harrowing plague year, and become stronger than before.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:17 -0400)

A ninth-grader who works with his father in the local supermarket describes the plague of meth addiction that consumes many people in his Pennsylvania coal mining town from 9/11 and the nearby crash of United Flight 93 in Shanksville to the Quecreek Mine disaster in Somerset the following summer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,732,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible