Prophecy-The Fulfillment by Deborah A.…

Prophecy-The Fulfillment (edition 2011)

by Deborah A. Jaeger

Member:mookiekat
Title:Prophecy-The Fulfillment
Authors:Deborah A. Jaeger
Info:Hampton House Publishing (2011), Edition: First, Hardcover, 392 pages

Prophecy-The Fulfillment by Deborah A Jaeger

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A pregnant teenage girl, Jillian, claiming she's still a virgin. Stephen, a student embarking on his PhD in Theology. Both experiencing odd vision-like dreams. Their lives intersect due to Jillian's father being Stephen's mentor in his graduate studies. Though Stephen initially recognizes Jillian as the girl from his vision, he keeps quiet. Later, they both realize and acknowledge that their dreams have been separately preparing the two of them for a shared purpose. Throw in a spate of miraculous healings whose source is traced back to Jillian's amniotic fluid, and you have the story line of Prophecy - The Fulfillment by Deborah A. Jaeger.

I truly wanted to like this book. I thought the premise of exploring a modern day reaction to a Mary and Joseph scenario would be quite intriguing. And it was to some degree. I think the book posed and attempted to answer what some of the questions and implications of the intersection of current science, religious understanding, and even politics to such an event would be. In this regards, it achieved a certain level of admirable success in exploring issues of faith, doubt, and the gritty details of how people react when their realities are shaken. The fact the book prodded me towards my own self-reflection in this regards gives it a measure of worth. I imagine most, if not all, thoughtful readers would be prodded in this direction as well.

With that said, however, I have to admit there were problems that kept me from fully embracing this book and putting it high on my recommendation list. Simply put, it lacked an editorial polish that could have really helped it shine. There were far too many trite phrases, unrealistic or stilted dialogue, and grammar issues to easily ignore. It read like a really good first or second draft that with a little work could be really great. I don't pretend to be an expert editor in my own right, yet there were just too many sections that made me cringe that it unfortunately took away from an otherwise good story. My final complaint has to do with the ending, which just didn't seem to mesh well with the rest of the story. With all the build-up, the narrative account of the actual fulfillment of the prophecy seemed forced, and way too anti-climactic.

To sum up: a decent story with some redeeming qualities, yet lacking finesse. I wouldn't dissuade others from reading, yet do not feel compelled to actively encourage it either. I am open to trying other books by this author. ( )
  exlibrismcp | May 15, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Long...way too long! The story was good, the plot was good, but it was a but laborous. ( )
  Lori_OGara | Mar 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a hard book for me to review. I have very mixed feelings about it.

In Nashville, TN, Jillian Macomb, a 17 year old virgin and the daughter of a Biblical scholar/professor is pregnant. She has been having strange repetitive dreams. In Canada, Stephen Jacobs is also having repetitive dreams in which he is the protector for a young pregnant girl. Coincidentally he is a Divinity student and has been accepted to be mentored by Jillian's father in Nashville. When he arrives in Nashville and recognizes Jillian as the girl in his dreams, he keeps this information to himself, for what feels like an exceedingly long time. When miracle healings begin and are attributed to Jillian, she becomes the target of a geneticist, the government and the Catholic Church, as well as throngs of people wanting to be healed.

There were parts of this book that were very good but for the most part I felt the story was one-dimensional and drug on and on. I was glad when it ended, even though the ending felt rushed and incomplete to me. ( )
  dsdmd | Mar 15, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this book! Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't read fast enough lol. Full of twists and turns, the story keeps you on the edge of your seat. I would highly recommend this book if you enjoy fiction and mystery with a religious setting.

My only disappointment came when I finished the book :-( I enjoyed it so much and was bummed that I had reached the end. ( )
  bashfulblond76 | Jan 16, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This review first appeared on my blog: http://www.knittingandsundries.com/2012/01/prophecy-fulfillment-by-deborah-jaege...

In this modern (set in 2018) take on the Immaculate Conception, Jillian Macomb is 17 years old and a virgin when she and her family discover she is pregnant. Her family is convinced (of course), that she is either lying about never having sex or that she may have been slipped a drug and doesn't remember having sex.

Stephen Jacobs is 25, a divinity student and protege of her father's. He has been having dreams that he will need to save a young girl, and when he meets Jillian, he realizes that she is the girl from his dreams.

An accident at the lab where Jillian's blood is being analyzed results in Dr. Jackson Mullins (the evil geneticist) discovering that there is something unique about either Jillian or the baby she is carrying. When the press finds out about "the miracle" that happened in the lab, the university and its hospital become the camping ground for the hopeful, although no one knows who or what is responsible for the miracle.

When Theresa Boone, a 43-year-old mother in the end stages of Lou Gehrig's disease, miraculously recovers, pandemonium ensues as the hospital tries to figure out how she could possibly have recovered. Mullins knows, but HE'S not telling.

This is rather difficult for me to review, as the STORY was rather good. Unfortunately, the writing and editing left something to be desired. There were a lot of unnecessary commas and the dialogue throughout and action (especially in the last third of the book), felt rushed, stilted, and even forced. This is one of those books that a reader wishes had gone to a professional editor for polishing, as it has potential to be really good.

QUOTE:

As he looked into her eyes, they both realized at that moment. . . the first miracle had occurred long before Dr. Sorrento sliced his hand on the broken glass of the slide. The first miracle was growing in the womb of a little virgin girl in Nashville.

Writing: 2 out of 5 stars
Plot: 4 out of 5 stars
Characters: 3 out of 5 stars
Reading Immersion: 2.5 out 5 stars

BOOK RATING: 2.8 out of 5 stars ( )
  jewelknits | Jan 10, 2012 |
For Saint Joseph...my heavenly protector
and
Lloyd...my earthly one.
From the moment they entered the woods,the dense forest swallowed them as if they had never walked the earth.

In Deborah Jaeger’s mesmerizing debut, PROPHECY ~ the Fulfillment (Hampton House Publishing, June 2011), readers are immediately immersed in a world of spiritual intrigue, mystery, faith and hope. With rave reviews among early readers, PROPHECY ~ the Fulfillment is the modern day story of the birth of a blessed child. Prophecy will open your eyes to the strength and courage that lie within us all, and keep you on the edge of your seat with both vivid details and an intense and captivating mystery.

A typical teenager, Jillian Macomb, is looking forward to senior high. Or at least she was. Having just broken up with her boyfriend, she receives the stunning and unexpected news that she’s pregnant. As if that isn’t enough, she must also convince her parents and her doctor that she is still a virgin. Her father’s protégé, Stephen Jacobs, and she, form an unlikely alliance as each realize that their nighttime apparitions are more than simple dreams, making it clear to them that the child she carries is no ordinary child. Then the miracles begin.

At once thought-provoking and mysterious, Prophecy promises to take you on a heart -pounding journey of faith, and challenges you to ask yourself tough questions. In today’s world, would you have the same courage that was asked of Mary and Joseph centuries before, and accept, on faith, a message sent by God? Could you defend His Covenant? Would you?

Follow these ordinary people, as they accept this astonishing message, giving up everything to defend the covenant and finding themselves cast headlong toward an unbelievably earth shattering conclusion.

In Deborah Jaeger's mesmerizing debut, PROPHECY ~ the Fulfillment (Hampton House Publishing, June 2011), readers are immediately immersed in a world of spiritual intrigue, mystery, faith and hope. With rave reviews among early readers,  PROPHECY ~ the Fulfillment is the modern day story of the birth of a blessed child. Prophecy will open your eyes to the strength and courage that lie within us all, and keep you on the edge of your seat with both vivid details and an intense and captivating mystery.
    A typical teenager, Jillian Macomb,  is looking forward to senior high. Or at least she was. Having just broken up with her boyfriend, she receives the stunning and unexpected news that she's pregnant. As if that isn't enough, she must also convince her parents and her doctor that she is still a virgin. Her father's protégé, Stephen Jacobs, and she, form an unlikely alliance as each realize that their nighttime apparitions are more than simple dreams,  making it clear to them that the child she carries is no ordinary child.
Then the miracles begin.
    At once thought-provoking and mysterious, Prophecy promises to take you on a heart -pounding journey of faith, and challenges you to ask yourself tough questions. In today's world, would you have the same courage that was asked of Mary  and Joseph centuries before, and accept, on faith, a message sent by God?  Could you defend His Covenant? Would you?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:48 -0400)

Deborah A Jaeger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Prophecy~the Fulfillment by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,790,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible