Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi

Mr. Fox (2011)

by Helen Oyeyemi

Fairy-tale romances end with a wedding, and the fairy tales don't get complicated. In this book, the celebrated writer Mr. Fox can't stop himself from killing off the heroines of his novels, and neither can his wife, Daphne. It's not until Mary, his muse, comes to life and transforms him from author into subject that his story begins to unfold differently.… (more)

English (28)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
A random pick from the bookstore based on having a cool cover.....turned out to be very good! It's about men and women and the power relationships between them. It's about writing, dreaming, and the power of the imagination. The plot is largely centered around Mr. Fox (a writer) and Mrs. Fox (his wife) and Ms. Foxe (Mr. Fox's imaginary muse turned maybe-mistress.) It's experimental fiction that is non-linear, has fantastically well-developed and interesting characters, and bits of the story are very well told. The whole doesn't quite hang together but I'm not sure I care. I really enjoyed it. ( )
  technodiabla | Jul 9, 2019 |
Now that I know how this ends, I feel compelled to read it again. ( )
  cindiann | May 3, 2018 |
I wanted to like this book. I really did. But everything seemed disjointed and failed to hold my attention. ( )
  Ltwente | Mar 19, 2018 |
I obtained this book through a Book Riot Quarterly box, and it intrigued me, but it spent several months on my to-read shelf before I finally picked it up.

Clever and meta in an enjoyable way. Playing with fairy tales and the form of fairy tails, writer and muse relationships, author and subject, women and men, and, of course, clever foxes. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Just couldn't get into this, despite listening to over half of the audiobook. Didn't help that the reader often dropped her voice to whisper, nearly impossible to hear over the road noise of my commute. ( )
1 vote riofriotex | Sep 5, 2017 |
Helen Oyeyemi’s captivating new novel, “Mr. Fox,” begins with a jaunty spirit and a sense of play. We meet Mr. Fox; he is a writer of slasher books, and he has an assistant, a woman named Mary whom he conjured in a trench during his days fighting in World War I. He also has a wife, Daphne. At some point or other, all three of them write.

Mr. Fox is also a reference to the English folk tale character Bluebeard — a man who murders and dismembers women freely until his wife-to-be, the clever Lady Mary, turns the tables and exposes him.

In the darkness they wondered if they could do it, and they knew they had to try to do it. - Mary Oliver
For my Mr. Fox (whoever you are)
Mary Foxe came by the other day--the last person on earth I was expecting to see.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,756,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible