The Ritual by Adam Nevill

The Ritual (2011)

by Adam Nevill

The Shapeshifters by Stefan Spjut (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: Swedish folklore horror.

English (26)  German (1)  All languages (27)
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. It was a little too slow moving for me. I enjoyed the second half of the book as much as the first half, even though it was very different. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Oddly written, but very good horror genre book. It was much better than I expected it to be and a pleasant surprise.

The book is split into two sections and each is distinctive. The change of tone in the middle of the book is a bit jarring. It's almost like two people wrote the book. Or the author wrote one part of the book during one phase of his life, put it aside and then picked up his work after maturing a bit and completed it. Other than that, the writing was okay. The landscape and character descriptions were very good. I had no problems visualizing.

The first part felt like a cross between Deliverance and Blair Witch Project. Lot's of chest pummeling scares. Men in the wilderness facing their ancestral selves and finding their modern world weak and grasping. They are confronted with a truly wild place and are forced to a primal survival level, which went dormant long ago.

The second half of the book is no less primal, but it is raw masculine survival instinct against the strong feminine will to protect through any means possible. It is rife with intense anger. I don't know if that's what the author intended, but it seemed clear to me. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
A book of two halves. I so wanted to give it 5 stars, but I preferred the first half of the book to the second, and, although I’m unsure what would have been a better conclusion, the end felt a little abrupt. What I love about this book is the atmosphere the author creates capturing my interest in a way many books of this type have failed and making him an author I want to read again. I imagine some may say they’d like to have got to know the characters a little more, at least it occurred on some level, but in a horror story it’s not always necessary to know these men are little more than regular guys doing their best to get by in their average lives and who don’t deserve the situation thrust upon them. A wonderfully atmospheric lost in the woods horror story. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Jan 7, 2019 |
A very good Lovecraftian story set in Sweden and the oldest first in Europe. Intriguing by turns, coupled with good pacing and a sense of decay, isolation and the outre all combine to keep enthusiasm and interest up for the reader throughout. A very good, modern take, on a Lovecraftian message. Very good. ( )
  aadyer | Jul 8, 2018 |
I should have paid heed to all the reviews that said the first half was great, but it went downhill from there. Except I didn't think the first half was especially great. Great premise, especially for this time of year, but executed pretty poorly. This needed some major editing. It was like author had a thesaurus open in front of them and wanted to get all the words from the thesaurus into their book. It didn't seem to be that bad at the start, but it just seemed to get worse the further you got into the book.

In some ways, the verboseness represents for the reader the virgin forest in which the characters are lost. Instead of thorny thickets, vines and limbs scratching and ensnaring the hiker's head, legs, arms - it's words that are doing the same to you! The author has to painstakingly (and I do mean pain) dictate every single minutia of thought and movement the character makes. I mean it took him 3 pages to describe one of the characters opening his eyes.

At least it did make the nearly 300 pages I did read fly by - but mostly because I was skimming thru all these descriptions. One example: "The briefest visual offering of which liquefied Luke's guts, then made the sense-memory of his stomach vanish altogether into a total absence." Huh? I don't normally rate books I haven't finished, but I will when the reason I didn't finish is because they're this bad. ( )
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |
The Gods are here, if they are anywhere at all in the world.  Algernon Blackwood, from the Willows
For Anne and our cub, for making me and my life less beastly.
And on the second day things did not get better. (Prologue)
At midday, Hutch stopped walking and turned to look back at the others; three colorful figures appearing insignificant upon the misty vastness of the rocky landscape they meandered across. (Chapter One)

And on the third day things did not get better. The rain fell hard and cold, the white sun never broke through the low grey cloud, and they were lost. But it was the dead thing they found hanging from a tree that changed the trip beyond recognition. When four old University friends set off into the Scandinavian wilderness of the Arctic Circle, they aim to briefly escape the problems of their lives and reconnect with one another. But when Luke, the only man still single and living a precarious existence, finds he has little left in common with his well-heeled friends, tensions rise. With limited fitness and experience between them, a shortcut meant to ease their hike turns into a nightmare scenario that could cost them their lives. Lost, hungry, and surrounded by forest untouched for millennia, Luke figures things couldn't possibly get any worse. But then they stumble across an old habitation. Ancient artefacts decorate the walls and there are bones scattered upon the dry floors. The residue of old rites and pagan sacrifice for something that still exists in the forest. Something responsible for the bestial presence that follows their every step. And as the four friends stagger in the direction of salvation, they learn that death doesn't come easy among these ancient trees...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:45 -0400)

"When four old University friends set off into the Scandinavian wilderness of the Arctic Circle, they aim to briefly escape the problems of their lives and reconnect with one another. But when Luke, the only man still single and living a precarious existence, finds he has little left in common with his well-heeled friends, tensions rise. With limited experience between them, a shortcut meant to ease their hike turns into a nightmare scenario that could cost them their lives. Lost, hungry, and surrounded by forest untouched for millennia, Luke figures things couldn't possibly get any worse. But then they stumble across an old habitation. Ancient artefacts decorate the walls and there are bones scattered upon the dry floors. The residue of old rites and pagan sacrifice for something that still exists in the forest. Something responsible for the bestial presence that follows their every step. As the four friends stagger in the direction of salvation, they learn that death doesn't come easy among these ancient trees . . "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,561,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible