Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs…

Snowflake Bentley (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Jacqueline Briggs Martin, Mary Azarian (Illustrator)

Member:BethanyNorris
Title:Snowflake Bentley
Authors:Jacqueline Briggs Martin
Other authors:Mary Azarian (Illustrator)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Content Area Recommendations

Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin (1998)

This is a great book about Wilson Bentley, the first known photographer of snowflakes. The illustrations will pull the reader into the book along with the words on the page. Through Bentley's story, we can also see that his determination for catching a snowflake on a photograph pushed him to succeed in doing so. This will show readers that when life is challenging to never give up! ( )
  etranchant | Dec 1, 2018 |
As a child who was born in Minnesota, I remember my grandmother telling me how each snowflake was unique just like me. I always wondered how she knew such a thing or why she thought so when it was only little round balls that quickly fell into heaps of snow on the ground and made white blankets around us. Around Christmas time I would fold and cut paper to make symmetrical snowflakes and I was curious as to who decided that symbol or shape and why they never turned out exactly alike, this book gave me insight into my childhood curiosity on who found this out and how with his machines and cameras. ( )
  mprochnow | Nov 1, 2018 |
Willie Bentley always loved the snow and the crystals that came from the snow, but he always wished he could share them with is family, like he did flowers or blades of grass. His parents bought him a camera and through a lot of experimenting, he became very good at photographing individual snowflakes to share with the world. ( )
  mckennalandry | Oct 18, 2018 |
This books is about a famer named Willie Bentley who loved snow and loved to help his family on the farm. He took a interesting interest in the way the ground works and the forms of moisture. He loved the different patterns the snow crystals made and drew picture of them using his microscope. But his father didn't understand why he was so interesting with snow but he bought him a camera to support his son. He wasn't a regular farmer, but he loved nature. This is an interesting book. It says that no matter what other people may think, if it make you happy, then that's all that matters. I loved the amount of support that his parents had for him. ( )
  rferia | Sep 18, 2018 |
I did not care for this book at all. One of my students chose this book for the read aloud. I really wish i would have read it first myself. All of students fixated on how he died at the end. I felt like they could have just ended the book with just saying how Bentley was finally able to publish his snowflake book. I did appreciate the imagery however I just had a really bad experience reading this book with my students. ( )
  rabertucci | Sep 16, 2018 |

Jacqueline Briggs Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Azarian, MaryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bentley, WilsonPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"..there lived a boy who loved snow more than anything else in the world."
For Sarah and Justin, who have also loved snowfalls. -J.B.M For all the snow lovers of the world, who--like me-- think that snow is like chocolate; there is never enough. -M.A.
In the days when farmers worked with ox and sled and cut the dark with lantern light, there lived a boy who loved snow more than anything else in the world.
N/A

Plot Summary: Set back in 1865, Wilson A. Bentley spent his whole life being fascinated by snowflakes, and the premise that no two snowflakes are alike.

Extensions: sidebars, biography

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395861624, Hardcover)

Most children are captivated by snow, but how many go on to make it their lifework? This beautiful biography, winner of the 1999 Caldecott Medal, tells the true story of a Vermont farm boy who was mesmerized by snowflakes. Wilson Bentley was fascinated by the six-sided frozen phenomena, and once he acquired a microscope with a camera, his childhood preoccupation took on a more scientific leaning. Bentley spent his life taking countless exquisite photographs (many that are still used in nature photography today), examining the tiny crystals and their delicate, mathematical structures. Jacqueline Briggs Martin tells this tale with simple, graceful prose that will engage children's imaginations. Edifying and snowflake-scattered sidebars offer more information about Bentley's methods and snowflake science. The artwork of Mary Azarian, whose 19th-century hand-press illustrations decorate the charming Barn Cat, shines once again in Snowflake Bentley, with woodcuts that reveal an appreciation for detail as well as for the man who loved snow. The lovely illustrations and equally fresh text will inspire and comfort youngsters (and grownups too) who wish they could capture snowflakes all year long. (Ages 4 to 8) --Brangien Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:12 -0400)

A biography of a self-taught scientist who photographed thousands of individual snowflakes in order to study their unique formations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,860,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible