Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner

Stone Fox

by John Reynolds Gardiner

I really enjoyed this story for a few reasons. The first reason was that the story was well written and could easily be read by a third or fourth grader without much assistance. Also I liked that the story had a lot of twists and turns, but I was still able to keep up with everything when I read this when I was nine years old. Lastly I liked that the story taught the reader a lesson that was useful in everyday life. I am not going to tell you what the lesson is because you have to read the book yourself to find out. That is what I enjoyed about Stone Fox.
  Ekelle8 | May 1, 2015 |
Little Willy can't figure out why his grandfather won't get out of bed until the doctor tells him that his grandfather has simply lost his will to live. Little Willy soon finds out the reason why is they are at risk of losing their farm to tax collectors but he has a plan to win a dog sled race with his dog Searchlight that would award enough money to save the farm. This is a relatively simple tale with a major twist that will leave readers shocked. The repetition, short sentences,occasional illustrations and relatively simple language mean this is a great first chapter book for early readers aged 7-9. ( )
  AleashaKachel | Mar 1, 2015 |
Yikes.
Such a good book yet so depressing. AND the ending. UGH ! It didn't hold my 9 years olds attention but I enjoyed it. The subject was a little heavy and sad and of course, left me in tears :( ( )
  ginger72 | Feb 23, 2015 |
Tickets ride
Have you ever been adopted? Gary Paulsen is all about wilderness. Lottie and Billy were heading west in search of Francis parents but on the way there. They saw a died mule and some Mexican. My favorite character is Francis because he is brave he has a shot gun and he rides horses. It was hot in organ. I recommend this book to people who had to search for their parents. this is one of my favorite books.

. ( )
  trequan11 | Feb 6, 2015 |
(4.0)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |

John Reynolds Gardinerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sewall, MarciaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bob at Hudson's Cafe
One day Grandfather wouldn't get out of bed.
The idea for this story came from a Rocky Mountain legend that was told to me in 1974 by Bob Hudson over a cup of coffee at Hudson's Cafe in Idaho Falls, Idaho. Although Stone Fox and the other characters are purely fictitious and of my creation, the tragic ending to this story belongs to the legend and is reported to have actually happened. --John Reynolds Gardiner

A Race Against Time

Little Willy's grandfather is sick, and it's up to Willy to save their farm from tax collectors. Their only hope is the prize money from the National Dogsled Race. But a lot of other people want to win the race, too, including Stone Fox, who has never lost a race in his life.

Do Willy and his dog Searchlight stand a chance against the toughest racers around? Can they win the race to save the farm -- and Grandfather -- before it's too late?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:05 -0400)

Little Willie hopes to pay the back taxes on his grandfather's farm with the purse from a dog sled race he enters.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,148,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible