dismiss

A Rogue by Any Other Name: The First Rule of…

A Rogue by Any Other Name: The First Rule of Scoundrels (Rules of… (edition 2012)

by Sarah MacLean (Author)

"A decade ago, the Marquess of Bourne was cast from society with nothing but his title. Now a partner in London's most exclusive gaming hell, the cold, ruthless Bourne will do whatever it takes to regain his inheritance-including marrying perfect, proper Lady Penelope Marbury. A broken engagement and years of disappointing courtships have left Penelope with little interest in a quiet, comfortable marriage, and a longing for something more. How lucky that her new husband has access to an unexplored world of pleasures. Bourne may be a prince of London's illicit underworld, but he vows to keep Penelope untouched by its wickedness-a challenge indeed as the lady discovers her own desires, and her willingness to wager anything for them...even her heart."--P. 4 of cover.… (more)
Member:greeneyed_ives
Title:A Rogue by Any Other Name: The First Rule of Scoundrels (Rules of Scoundrels)
Authors:Sarah MacLean (Author)
Info:Avon (2012), Edition: Original, 400 pages
Tags:Fiction, Romance, England, Childhood friends, Marriage of convenience, Gambling, Regency, Spinster

A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLean

Recently added byjesueicnelis, rena40, mirihawk, karidrgn, Masuly, private library, KarenMizzi, melissa0329

English (58)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (59)
I've heard lots of people talking about the Sarah MacLean romance stories, in particular The Rules of Scoundrels series, and it's all been good. When I got the opportunity to read A Rogue By Any Other Name, I jumped on it. And the hype was right. It is a great romping fun romance. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
I can hardly believe how quickly I devoured this book! What a truly emotional roller coaster the OTP went through, and I spent much of the book not quite crying, but with an ache in my chest that surprised me. Every conversation was fraught with painful revelations waiting to be stirred up. I wanted the hero to put aside his need for revenge as much as the heroine wanted him to because they clearly belonged together. He needed to let go. I loved her spirit of adventure hiding underneath all the proper behaviour and self-sacrifice. I am definitely looking forward to the next books in this series. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
Sweet, but Michael was such a jerk that I wanted Penelope to ditch him. His discovery of love's true power was not enough to lead to my forgiveness for his many sins. I liked Penelope, and her letters to Michael quite a bit, and Tommy was sweet. It was enough to get this to average. For the first 100 pages I was thinking a 2 star would be a gift, but it did very much improve. ( )
  Narshkite | May 3, 2019 |
Michael, lost everything when he was sixteen in a card game, by his neighbor, and he was left with nothing. So now many years later he vows vengeance against the man that ruined his life. He is determined to let no man or woman get in his way, including his childhood friend Penelope. When he hears that his land is now a part of her dowry, he must come up with a plan to secure her marrying him as soon as possible. So he compromises her, which in turn forces her to marry him or face a horrid scandal on herself and her family. Penelope is thrilled at first when she see's Michael for the first time in many years, but he has changed a lot. He is no longer the boy she would run and play with, and write letters to. When she has no choice but to marry him, she wonders what kind of marriage they will have. She aches for passion and love and more than anything she desires Michael to be the one to give it to her. But when she finds out his thirst for revenge, she realizes his resolve and wonders if her love for him might be enough.A Rogue By Any Other Name is the first in the most newest series by Sarah MacLean. I have to say that I ever since I first read this author....she utterly captivated me instantly with her sharp wit and wonderful written stories that just pulled at my heartstrings. I can honestly say she is at the top of my favorite authors to read and I can't believe that it has taken me so long to get this one read....I truly must be an idiot LOL . Because this books was full of everything that satisfies every romantic notion that made me fall in love with romance novels in the first place. The story has a strong plot with a hero that I fell in lust and love with from the beginning. He is total Alpha and bad boy Rake type. Definitely the irresistable type that I just can't help but love from the first page. Penelope seems in the beginning like there is so much more she wants but feels caged by restrictions by her family and society. But when she marries Michael, we see the true fire beneath the mask, and I started to really like her. She fights for what she really wants and for the love she has for Michael (and I just LOVED her for that) I just love two strong characters that might not seem good for each other...but in the end are just perfect for each other. There is also such a sexual tension between these two from the beginning, and boy did this story sizzle and spark. A page turner this one....and story that will make you believe in second chances and a love that never dies!!!! A Romance Marvel that will make you pop in delight! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 22, 2019 |
His desire for revenge has sustained him for nearly a decade, now Bourne sees the possibility of regaining his estate and destroying his enemy. What Michael doesn't count on is having to marry his childhood friend to gain the dowry of his former estate, nor does he plan to fall in love. ( )
  4leschats | Oct 22, 2018 |
For Meghan, sister where it counts.
The eight of diamonds ruined him.

What a scoundrel wants, a scoundrel gets...

A decade ago, the Marquess of Bourne was cast from society with nothing but his title. Now a partner in London's most exclusive gaming hell, the cold, ruthless Bourne will do whatever it takes to regain his inheritance—including marrying perfect, proper Lady Penelope Marbury.

Bourne may be a prince of London's illicit underworld, but he vows to keep Penelope untouched by its wickedness—a challenge indeed as the lady discovers her own desires, and her willingness to wager anything for them... even her heart.

Sarah MacLean is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,185,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible