Disturbed by Kevin O'Brien

Disturbed

by Kevin O'Brien

Kevin O'Brien is a master of thrillers. I have loved all the books of his that I have read, this one included. There is a definite creepy factor as you experience that tense spine tingling feeling as the suspense builds. Mr O'Brien teases the readers leading up to where they'll be given the answers only to reveal just a little until the next time. While I did figure out where it was going well before the end, it was a great trip, with lots of twists and turns. Solid 4 1/2. ( )
  maggie1961 | Jan 26, 2017 |
I can't believe I had never read any of this authors books until his latest "Tell Me You're Sorry". Like that book is was was fantastic as well. This author has an ingeniously twisted mind. You think you have everything figured out and yet there is another plausible twist thrown in. ( )
  zmagic69 | Aug 7, 2014 |
This was a First Reads win for me and sent to me for free.

When I say I'm finished with this book, that isn't to say that I've read it, not entirely anyway. You see, I was really excited to read this book. If you haven't heard of it, please click on the book and read the synopsis. It sounds deliciously creepy! Imagine my disappointment when I read the Prologue and realized I already knew what was going to happen. I read a bit of Chapter 1, but was so convinced that I knew what was going to happen (and irritated by that fact) that I did something I don't normally ever do. I skipped ahead and read the last few pages...and I was right! *sigh*

Sure, I didn't know the exact body count, or how they were eliminated. But, I knew who and why. Where's the fun in that?

So, why the three stars then? Because, O'Brien is a good writer. If it hadn't been for the TMI in the Prologue I know I would have loved this book and it would have gotten more than three stars. How can I be so sure you say? I am convinced, because after reading those last few disheartening pages I also read the Epilogue. In that short space of time I was already getting attached to (view spoiler) I also really liked the way he wrapped things up at the end. If the author would only have dribbled that starting information out during the story instead of blabbing it all in the first few pages I would have been a very happy girl! *double sigh*

If the author is irritated that I did not read his entire book, he can contact me and I will mail it back to him. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
Disturbed. Kevin O’Brien. 2011. In this mildly, minor suspenseful novel, a neighborhood is terrorized by a serial killer. Molly is living in the same house her husband lived in with his now ex-wife. All of the neighbors were great friends with the ex and make Molly’s life miserable so Molly must cope with the hostility of the neighbors as she attempts to make a life with her step-children. Read only if you like other books by this author or want a mindless book ( )
  judithrs | Mar 17, 2012 |
Disturbed is a thriller filled with murder, hate, and revenge. When Ray Corson, a former high school guidance counselor, is found murdered in an empty parking lot, seventeen year old Chris Dennehy can't help but feel like it's his fault. He still blames himself for for Mr. Corson being fired. Little does he know that the death of his once close friend and guidance counselor sets in motion a series of events which will end in tragedy and bloodshed. So much bloodshed.

Seattle is being terrorized by a ruthless maniac known as the Cul-de-sac Killer. Murdering entire families and ceremoniously leaving their corpses in closets, all cul-de-sac families are on edge, including Molly Dennehy, her husband Jeff, and her step children, Chris and Erin. When Molly's cul-de-sac starts being riddled with tragic accidents and terrifying phone calls, she shrugs it off as coincidence. But as the body count rises and the accidents start hitting closer to home, she can't help but feel that someone is out to get them. And she realizes that if she doesn't fond a way to put an end to all of this misfortune, then an end will be put to her.

Disturbed is the darkest and most complex thriller I have ever read. And with its well developed characters and abundance of suspense and misdirections, it is a must read for any thriller fan. This is the first work I have read by Kevin O'Brien, but it certainly won't be the last. But if you are looking for a fairytale ending, this book is not for you. Like I said, this book is dark and, if you are feint of heart, may leave you feeling disturbed. ( )
  Kevinbw309 | Feb 12, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786021373, Mass Market Paperback)

Deceptive

Depraved

Disturbed

Praise for the Novels of Kevin O'Brien

"Deftly woven plot twists. . .the pace of the novel is strong and the story intriguing." –Publishers Weekly on Vicious

"Scary! Read this page turner with the lights on!" --Lisa Jackson on Watch Them Die

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:31 -0400)

"The houses in Willow Tree Court are sleek and modern--the kind designed to harbor happy families and laughing children. No one would guess the secrets that lurk beyond the neat lawns and beautiful facades. Molly Dennehy is trying to fit in to her new surroundings, though her neighbors are clearly loyal to her husband's ex-wife. But that's the least of Molly's worries. Her stepson's school has been rocked by a brutal slaying, and a psychopath known as the Cul-de-Sac Killer is murdering families in Seattle homes. Homes just like Molly's. With each passing day, Molly grows more convinced that someone is watching her family, someone consumed with rage and vengeance. On this quiet road, a nightmare has been unleashed, and the trail of terror will lead right to her door. . . "--Product description.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Kevin O'Brien's book Disturbed was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,089,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible