The Shooting Salvationist: J. Frank Norris…

The Shooting Salvationist: J. Frank Norris and the Murder Trial that…

by David R. Stokes

This about a grandiose fundamentalist preacher who got away with arson and murder. It speaks more about Texas justice than religion or preaching the gospel.

We have seen much of the story repeated since: the best justice money can buy, preachers hiding behind church-state separation to dodge taxes, hate mongering under the guise of religion.

A sordid story, well researched and well-told.

The author is more kind to the city of Fort Worth where most of the drama played out.
  tdh70 | Feb 21, 2012 |
In the wake of Rob Bell's controversial book "Love Wins", a plethora of books have appeared clamoring to answer the question "Does Hell exist?" Most of these books take us back to the Bible and answer the question in the affirmative. A new book from Brian Jones is no exception. What is different about his book, however, is apparent from its title: "Hell is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)". Jones uses a healthy dose of humor and personal candor as he tackles this ever-troubling topic.

Jones shares his story of secretly disbelieving in Hell for his first four years as a pastor. When he realized his error and confessed his secret sin, he was met with bewilderment. Why confess a doctrinal shortcoming? "Pastor, we were worried there was something more serious going on!" was how many took his news. This is indicative of the sad state of affairs in the church today and part of the reason Jones has given us this book.

His book is written in a simple, straightforward style. He explains the Bible's teaching on Hell, but more than that, he gets into the question of why it is that he and so many others wanted to believe there isn't a Hell. He then finishes the book with a call for "apocalyptic urgency" and a straightforward witness to the lost around us.

He doesn't dismiss social concerns but calls the church to be more forthright in its evangelistic fervor. By the end of the book you aren't surprised to learn that he was fired from the Princeton Theological Seminary bookstore for being too evangelistic. Jones has a passion for Jesus Christ, and it shows!

This book is accessible and at times humorous. And more importantly, it won't steer you wrong. It might just spur you on toward a more serious view of evangelism. If we really do believe there is a Hell, shouldn't that belief burden us all with "apocalyptic urgency"? Brian Jones thinks it should, and I have to agree. Read this book and be challenged. You won't regret it.

Disclaimer: This book was provided by David C. Cook publishing. I was under no obligation to offer a favorable review.
  bobhayton | Jan 2, 2012 |
A mostly chronological account based on thorough research but marred by repetition and a melodramatic tone.
added by doomjesse | editKirkus (May 1, 2011)

Chronicles the trial of the Baptist fundamentalist, who in a moment of violence, killed the Dexter Elliott Chipps in his church office.

5 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,308,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible