Aloha from Hell: A Sandman Slim Novel by…

Aloha from Hell: A Sandman Slim Novel (edition 2012)

by Richard Kadrey

Member:GhostWriter57
Title:Aloha from Hell: A Sandman Slim Novel
Authors:Richard Kadrey
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:2012
Rating:***

Aloha from Hell by Richard Kadrey

Dead Men's Boots by Mike Carey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar type of writing and characterization
    For Heavens Eyes Only by Simon R. Green (chaos012)
    Already Dead by Charlie Huston (crimeminister)
    crimeminister: If you like your urban fantasy a little gritty, a little grimey, with a stiff splash of noir to add character, read the Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston. It's a little less fantastic, a little more bleak than the world of Sandman Slim, but any fan of one will probably like the other.… (more)

WARNING - There are SPOILERS in this review! Don't read it unless you really feel like reading a rant of poopy pants-ness.

I have to start out that I really enjoyed the first two books in this series, so this being book three I was expecting great things. I know some people will probably be shocked that I have such a low opinion of it.

The entire reading experience to me this time around was completely lackluster. The entry action scene of Stark and Vidoqc robbing a house for an item that really ended up being of no import to the story as well as the demon that attacks them outside the house. I felt like there was a bit of that throughout.

So we have the mystery portion in the first half the novel where they are trying to figure out what's going on with this 'possessed' boy. Did it really need to take up that much of the book? Or better yet did the trek through hell really require the second half. Yes, it probably did - but for me it was like plucking lint off of a pair of black pants...tedious.

Aelita was mentioned plenty of times but was never seen. These big things that happen, her kidnapping Alice, her at the end killing one of the 5 beings that make up "god". I feel like those were bigger things that just were under handled.

The trip to hell, I liked how he ended up getting in, meeting Mustang Sally and going through the garden of Eden - but this hell itself, and the trip through it - I found it boring. Oh I wish I had a writers skill to be able to describe and define all the reasons why I was so aggravated. I just don't articulate myself well... but lets see - I think it was because the whole second half of the book to me was just "more of the same" page before it.

Stark's humor didn't hit the high points for me that the previous two books did. Don't get me wrong I'm not giving a low rating just because it didn't stand up to the other two books in my mind but mostly just because I felt like the story in this one fell flat and just didn't do it for me. I'm sure it will rock the socks off of alot of other fans.

Were big things done? Yes! of course, he got laid by a new girl, decided he'd finally be emotionally moving on from Alice (thank freaking Hades), met Jack the Ripper, destroyed the Kissi again, got rid of the angel alter ego (which should provide some interesting fodder for the next book I'm sure), got Mason to kill himself, ended up being the ruler of Hell in the end *shoulder shrug*...was it too much? - or was it not enough. I don't know I'm just a debbie downer when I think about this reading experience.

Does someone need to bring me a sammich to get me to shutup? ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
Mason kidnaps Stark's ex-girlfriend Alice from Heaven and brings her to hell and Stark decides that he's going to find a way around the traps to rescue her and keep heaven from Mason's clutches. This sets off a cascade that will change his role in the worlds.

I love this series, it's serious pulpy fiction but I just really enjoy it, it loves its sources and it shows and Kadrey writes stories that really get me caught up in them and avidly reading. I'm looking forward to mroe of this. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 14, 2014 |
I picked up Sandman Slim after absolutely adoring another one of Kadrey's novels, Butcher Bird, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. While different from Butcher Bird, Kadrey still makes use of his awesome writing skills, and describes for us the world as it is, or at least as he or maybe better yet, as Sandman Slim sees it. It's a quirky, action packed novel for those of us who can't get enough of the horror genera, but isn't so off-putting that someone who isn't so into horror wouldn't get a kick out of it. As always, I love Kadrey's humanization of both The Devil and angels and demons, and how everything is so gritty. The language and attitudes of the characters fit perfectly and I don't think I've stuck with a series as long as I have with the Sandman Slim books. No holds barred in this series. There are times (as in a lot of books) where the narration drags a little, but it in no way takes away from the epicness that is Sandman Slim. This series has everything - angels, demons, revenants, vampires, and whatever else you can think of, all wrapped up in an ugly little package of awesomeness. ( )
  morgtini | Feb 25, 2014 |
This was by far my favorite book in the series.

I'm really starting to enjoy urban fantasy as a series, and I've enjoyed this series more than dresden. Just because of the dark not entirely goodie goodie aspects.

Its late (you can tell I enjoy a book when I stay up late reading it) so don't exactly have lots to say about it, but I recommend anyone who even remotely likes the genre to give it a read. ( )
  halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |
Warning: These books are not for people averse to graphic violence, sex and language.

Richard Kadrey impresses me with his knowledge of mythology (especially the demonic sort) and how it's woven into the fabric of his Sandman Slim series. Aloha From Hell is the third book.

Jim Stark aka Sandman Slim is a nephilim, the product of a male angel and a human woman. To many of the supernatural world, especially some angels, this makes him an abomination to be gotten rid of.

Stark is also the only human who has escaped Hell and lived to tell the tale. In Aloha From Hell, he finds himself in the position of having to rescue both Heaven & Hell from a human interloper named Mason Faim, who wants to tear the entire universe down and start over.

Along the way, Stark tangles with demons, making deals with them to get back into Hell to rescue Alice, his dead love who was yanked out of Heaven unceremoniously and is being kept prisoner in Hell. Stark is a very angry nephilim who literally struggles with his angel while making his way through the Garden of Eden, Tartarus, and Pandemonium to convince the demonic generals to gather their troops and ride to war.

All through the book, Slim has this idea that he'll rescue Alice, stop Mason from tearing the universe apart and get back to Los Angeles in time to break more furniture with Candy. The twist, of course, changes all of that.

Aloha From Hell is tons of fun with interesting philosophical lamentations on the purpose of being and what it all means anyway. ( )
  AuntieClio | Jan 28, 2014 |
I sat the shore
Fishing, with the arid plain behind me
Shall I at least set my lands in order?

–T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land
Life is a bucket of shit with a

barbed wire handle.

–Jim Thompson
"Tell me," says the Frenchman. "How long has it been since you last killed anything?"

Supernatural fantasy’s greatest anti-hero goes back to hell!
In Sandman Slim Stark came back from hell for revenge.
In Kill the Dead he tackled both a zombie plague and being Lucifer’s bodyguard.
Once again all is not right in L.A. Lucifer is back in Heaven, God is on vacation, and an insane killer mounts a war against both Heaven and Hell.
Stark’s got to head back down to his old stomping grounds in Hell to rescue his long lost love, stop an insane serial killer, prevent both Good and Evil from completely destroying each other, and stop the demonic Kissi from ruining the party for everyone.
Even for Sandman Slim, that’s a tall order. And it’s only the beginning.

In "Sandman Slim", Stark came back from hell for revenge. In "Kill the Dead" he tackled both a zombie plague and being Lucifer's bodyguard. Once again all is not right in LA. Lucifer is back in Heaven, God 's on vacation, and an insane killer mounts a war against both Heaven and Hell.… (more)

122 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,114,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible