Quest of the Demon by M L Sawyer

Quest of the Demon

by M L Sawyer

As a teenage girl living in a modern era, the last thing that Darci expected was to be transported to an alternate world, one in which dragons, elves, and ogres live alongside humans. Drawn there through the ineptitude of an apprentice wizard, she finds herself embroiled in a battle against evil that will decide the fate of more realities than one. At least she gets a nifty weapon and some strong allies.

First off, I will say that Quest of the Demon has an interesting premise. The idea of dragons maintaining the balance between good and evil is intriguing, and yet the goal of the supposed balance seems to be skewed to the side of good. At least, it's supposed to be. Add to this unbalanced scale some impossible odds and a strong sense of urgency, and you're suddenly invested in Darci and company and their quest to save the world, so to speak. The author did think up credible background stories for most of the main characters, and they explain a great deal about current behaviors and motivations. Unfortunately, the plot itself is a little disjointed, with subplots that go nowhere and asides that add little to the story or the development of the characters.

Perhaps the story itself would have been easier to follow if it were more readable. Beyond the extensive array of grammatical errors, there was an abundance of proofreading gaffes that made reading the book almost painful at times. In all fairness, the writing quality improved dramatically in the last third of the story, as did the plot, but both flaws returned with a vengeance at the very end. There are only so many times that a reader can excuse the use of "bought" for "brought." Now, I received my review copy over a year ago, so hopefully the book has undergone some editing since then. If not, it sorely needs to undergo some revisions.

On the whole, Quest of the Demon had a lot of unrealized potential. Due to violent content and sexual references, I would not recommend it to readers under the age of thirteen.

Hide and Read
(Review copy provided by the author) ( )
  hideandread | Sep 11, 2012 |
I always wondered what would happened if I got transported to another world. How would I act? Would I be scared? Probably. I think that any person who was transported to an unknown world would be scared just as much as me.

When first reading this book and finding out that someone was going to be transported to another world, the first thought that crossed my mind was that this person was going to be fine and act like nothing was wrong. This girl was beyond fine.

Throughout this story of adventue, you see the main character, Darci, grow from a girl scared of where she ended up to a girl who shows the strength to not let anything to stand in her way. For her, time travel is about to be redefined.

A book filled with time traveling, and a destiny that must be fulfilled, and of course drgons. Can't leave out the dragon. This book is one that one must check out.

I give this book 4 souls! ( )
  ChayseBWB | May 14, 2012 |
Now, I know the cover is not all that, but the adventure in this book is awesome! I love reading about time travel (cause I so wish I can do that myself) but the action to follow is great!
What I liked most about this book is the greatness of time travel. I loved that this girl pop into a different place, different time and really was confused. Most of the time, the books I read the characters always find their place right away. But not this one! She demanded to go back home, threw a fit and seriously thought she is crazy! I loved her sarcastic comments, but also like her wiliness to do what it takes to get back home.

The main character, Darci, went through some major changes.I like that she went from break down to don't you mess with me. Along the plot line, the reader sees Darci become stronger and accept her fate. The love interest was not quite what I expected but still loved watching it.

If you want a unique fresh take on dragons, time travel and destiny read this book. The pages in it are filled with legend, sorcerers and magic like I never seen before! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Nov 7, 2011 |
"Quest of the Demon is a fast-paced, action-packed epic fantasy novel with a well-developed plotline and original characters." - Majanka Verstraete.

Quest of the Demon is a great story and is definitely filled with potential.
added by MLSawyer | editJuniper Grove Blog, Jaidis (May 1, 2011)

Quest of the Demon is a rewarding high fantasy novel with an uncluttered and unoffending style that should be perfect for the younger reader.
added by MLSawyer | editS F Book, Anthony (Apr 20, 2011)

M L Sawyer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,198,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible