Eyewall by H.W. Buzz Bernard

Info:Bell Bridge Books (2011), Paperback, 246 pages
Collections:Your library, Wishlist
Rating:*****

Eyewall by H.W. "Buzz" Bernard

Giving this a star is actually stretching it a bit. I couldn't decide if this book was a pop science piece dolled up with a little soap opera or if it was a melodrama dusted with a little science information to give it some respectability (or try to). These were the flatest and least original characters I can remember all together in one book. Turns out I didn't really care enough to finish the book and find out. It wasn't even worth the effort it took to remember how to spell the title. ( )
  herbcat | Mar 11, 2013 |
EXCELLENT x's 10! ( )
  shawnaneronewton | Dec 26, 2012 |
This book was courtesy of Bell Bridge Books and Netgallley.

I was very impressed by this book, authored by a former meteorologist. I must admit that I did not hold high hopes for it, but Mr. Bernard can write!

I began reading this book at the height of hurricane season and it completely held my interest. Although I found some of the characters stilted, and some of the sexual innuendo a little cliched, the adventure was great. I learned a few things about weather patterns and hurricanes in the southern states, and I thought the author did a great job of balancing "educating" his readers, without being condescending.

The writing style was nice and comfortable!

My enjoyment of the book was tempered by the fact that I was reading a PDF version, which I find clumsy and time-consuming, on my device. Had it been easier for me to read, I know that I would have breezed through the book in no time - it is a very manageable 230-ish pages.

I'll look forward to reading more of this type of novel in the future, and hopefully "Buzz" will have at least one more entertaining read for us to enjoy in the near-future.

Three and one-half stars (out of five) ( )
  michellereads | Nov 20, 2011 |
This book was courtesy of Bell Bridge Books and NetGalley.

St. Simons Island, Georgia, has never been hit by a Category 5 hurricane. Until now. No one predicted the storm's sudden force. A crippled Air Force recon plane, trapped in the eye of a violent hurricane. An outspoken tropical weather forecaster, fired from his network TV job before he can issue a warning: the storm is changing course and intensifying. A desperate family searching for a runaway daughter on Georgia's posh St. Simons Island, cut off from escape as the hurricane roars toward them. A marriage on the rocks; an unrequited sexual attraction; a May-December romance. All will be swept up by the monster storm. Get ready for a white-knuckle adventure.

This is a must read book! I got started and could not put it down until I was done! Having lived in the south all my life and having been thru several hurricanes and losing two homes to hurricanes in my life this book was a very interesting and emotional read for me.
The book is very well written with very good character development. I was especially intrigued by how the author brought all of the characters together who otherwise would have never known each other. By the time I finished reading the book I kept having to remind myself that it really was fiction, the author did such a wonderful job of making the story believable and realistic. As a side note the authors bio is a very interesting read too!! ( )
  debr56 | Oct 23, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When you fly a Hurricane Hunter, somewhere deep in your soul you have a death wish. As do all of your crew. The crew flying with Maj. Arlen Walker had no idea what they would be flying into that day. No one did except one weather forecaster no one would listen to. Walker had gone to a carnival the day before and the palm-reader told him “This does not end well.” Maybe it was a trick, maybe she knew but she nailed it either way.
The Hurricane named Janet was only barely a category one, not worth the trouble except they had to go to the eye and see what they could see. While they were getting ready to fly, Alan Grant has just discovered his teenage daughter snuck out the night before. The weather on St. Simons Island, Georgia is getting a bit unsettled and now he has to go out and search for Sandy. Always in charge Alan makes a really bad decision. He leaves wife and son while he goes off in search of daughter. This does not allow them enough time.
While these two stories are melding together, you will be sitting on the edge of your sofa/chair/hammock. I had no idea the math of hurricanes and not sure I want to know now, but I do. This book tells it like it is and the hurricane in it was a real hurricane, just many years ago. Read up on Janet and why the name was retired. A great job of writing, teaching and scaring, Mr. Bernard. Congratulations! ( )
  macygma | Aug 21, 2011 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Eyewall by H.W. "Buzz" Bernard was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,470,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible