Pilates Anatomy by Rael Isacowitz

Pilates Anatomy

by Rael Isacowitz

After finishing this book, I formed a routine that works for me. Thank you. ( )
  Michael.Bradham | Sep 2, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The beginning of the book offers an anatomy lesson in great detail - so much so, I wondered if this was a book for someone studying medicine. Lots of detail and technical terms, along with diagrams are a little overwhelming, though the info is presented in a way that the average reader will understand it and why the info is needed to understand the Pilates anatomy. Each exercise is explained in detail, offering an advanced option and a modified option. I found this part of the book (the bulk of of it) incredibly helpful. The directions along with pictures helped me to understand the principles of the exercise as well as how it should look and feel. This book was so helpful, I am going to order another in their series, Yoga Anatomy. Definitely recommended. ( )
  MelindaLibrary | Jul 31, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A great reference book with detailed illustrations. This book is similar to [Yoga Anatomy] published by the same company. Both books do a great job of explaining the basics and giving step-by-step instructions for the movements. The anatomical illustrations really help you understand what is happening. ( )
  Ferdaszewski | Jul 13, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Being a strong yoga enthusiast, I never thought I would really like Pilates. However, this book has strengthened my knowledge and interest in Pilates. I enjoyed how the author starts the book with a little history about Pilates and spends a decent amount of effort emphasizing the importance of breath, which is not only important for Pilates, but exercise and life in general. Because of yoga, I have an great appreciation for the elegance and significance of the spine, and Pilates Anatomy does an excellent job of making an already fascinating area of the body even more captivating.

What has drawn me even closer to practicing Pilates is its emphasis on the core, and this book helped me realize even more that the core is so much more than just the abdominals. In addition, the book's dedicated description of alignment is so essential to me, since this is is an important element in all exercise and movement in general.

The depictions in this book are simple yet very informative and has enhanced my knowledge of anatomy greatly. I especially like how the description of the exercises is divided into sections such as execution, targeted muscles, accompanying muscles, technique cues, exercise notes, and variations.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to a beginner or advanced practitioner. ( )
  Virasana123 | Jul 2, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a breath of fresh air! So many Pilates authors focus their content on positions, with some info on technique and (possibly) a passing mention of the muscle involvement and skeletal structure. Not this book! Chock full of detailed color drawings and diagrams, this book is an easy to follow volume taking you step by step through a crash course in the body. Once you have a better understanding of how the body works, and what each exercise is targeting, you can better position yourself during your exercises. Additionally, I find that when I understand something on a logical level it engages my conscious mind more fully, enabling me to extract a greater degree of benefit. Detailed, step by step instruction without being overly wordy or technical, a true gem in the genre! ( )
  thewitchescupboard | Jun 22, 2011 |

This is Pilates as you’ve never seen it before.

With detailed descriptions, step-by-step instruction, and stunning full-color anatomical illustrations, Pilates Anatomy takes you inside the exercises and programs that will tone the body, stabilize the core, improve balance, and increase flexibility. Using the original mat work of Joseph Pilates, you’ll see how key muscles are used, how variations and minor adjustments can influence effectiveness, and how breathing, alignment, posture, and movement are all fundamentally linked.

Choosing from over 45 exercises, you can target a particular body region and delve deeper to stretch, strengthen, and finely coordinate specific muscles. You’ll also find techniques for breathing, concentration, and self-awareness for a unique exercise experience that enhances your mind and your body.

Whether you are just beginning to explore the beauty and benefits of Pilates or have been practicing for years, Pilates Anatomy is a one-of-a-kind resource that you’ll refer to again and again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:01 -0400)

Pilates Anatomy presents a visual perspective on correct alignment, posture, and movements. It offers an inside look at your workout by providing a customizable approach and combining 213 full-color anatomical illustrations with step-by-step instructions for 46 of the most effective mat exercises for building a stronger, more articulate body.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Pilates Anatomy by Rael Isacowitz was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible