The Woodcutter by Kate Danley

The Woodcutter (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Kate Danley

2021458,111 (3.49)13
Member:CurrerBell
Title:The Woodcutter
Authors:Kate Danley
Info:47North (2012), Kindle Edition, 346 pages
Collections:Kindle, Read
Rating:***

The Woodcutter by Kate Danley (2010)

The Woodcutter lives in the Wood connecting the Twelve Kingdoms, keeping the peace between humans and the fae. One night he comes across the body of a princess with glass slippers, and shortly after those of a little girl in a red cape and her grandmother; all of them didn't have a mark on them but had been mortally afraid. Knowing that something terrible stalks the Wood, he sets off to defeat it, and uncovers a terrible conspiracy.

This short novel reads very much like an old-fashioned fairy tale, with Kate Danley's economic yet poetic prose taking you back in time to your childhood when the stories of princes and princesses and true love's first kiss, enchanted woods, witches and evil queens were as familiar to you as the back of your hand, giving you a first taste of good and bad, right and wrong, love and death. She takes all those stories and mixes them together into something new, and half the fun to me was recognising old friends. Her characters have true emotional depth, in particular the titular figure of the Woodcutter himself, and I warmed to him immediately. Even though it's impossible not to read the final few chapters without thinking of religious symbolism, by the end I was in tears, and if the story doesn't move you, then you truly have a heart of stone and deserve no better. I believe this is one of those books that gets better at each re-reading as you discover references and nuances you missed before. ( )
1 vote passion4reading | Mar 13, 2015 |
This is a story that weaves elements of many of the classic fairy tales together through the evolvement of the protagonist "The Woodcutter." Even a few classic nursery rhymes are included. So of course you see, Snow White, and Aurora, but you also see Jack from the tale of Jack and the Beanstalk, and even the characters from "Three Billie Goats Gruff," and several other classic tales. It was wonderfully entertaining.

The Woodcutter emerges in each of these stories assisting the characters to find their true love and true loves first kiss without actually retelling those stories. This is not a repeat of the classic fairy tales, more of a behind the scenes kind of thing.

I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a relapse into childhood adventure from time to time.

I would further recommend this story to anyone who has a dark book list. Now and then, something a little uplifting is a good thing.
1 vote jlsimon7 | Mar 1, 2015 |
What an amazing project it was to tie together so many varied and differing fairy tales into one consecutive tale that even has a logical flow to it. While not quite my style, I can still appreciate the beauty of the work. ( )
  jason9292 | Jan 30, 2015 |
This had potential but ended up being kind of a mess. ( )
  Lucifey | Jan 10, 2015 |
I wanted to like this. The concept seemed right up my alley-a convergence of famous characters from classic fairy tales and mythology. The plot centers around The Woodcutter, who lives in an enchanted forest connecting twelve magical kingdoms and is responsible for maintaing the balance between good and evil. When he discovers a dead Cinderella on his forest floor, he begins a quest to discover the root of the increasingly gruesome events developing in the kingdoms, threatening the peace and harmony between the fae and man.
But despite the appeal of the general idea of this story, the execution just didn't cut it for me. I felt the plot was muddled and awkward. I often found myself wondering what it was I had just read. Though we may already be familiar with many of them, the characters came off as flat and bland. I think the writing style focused too much on coming off as poetic (and didn't quiet pull it off), largely at the sacrifice of the overall quality of the story. It was hard to feel engaged and I remained pretty ambivalent about what happened.
This definitely isn't the worst thing I've ever read and it is well intentioned, but overall I a bit disappointed. ( )
  LaurenMae85 | Jul 22, 2014 |
To my family
The darkness settled like wings, blocking out the sun and casting the forest into false night.

Imaginative
Retelling of familiar,
Well-loved fairy tales.
(passion4reading)

"Cinderella is dead and one of Odin's hellhounds as gone rogue. The Woodcutter, protector of peace between the Twelve Kingdoms of Man and the Realm of Faerie, is charged with finding the beast and returning him to the Wild Hunt. Unfortunately, it seems the forces of evil have other plans. It is a race against time as the Woodcutter travels east of the sun and west of the moon, up beanstalks and down to the bowels of the earth, to unravel a mystery that can only be described as Grimm."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Kate Danley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

25 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,163,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible