The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

The Rainbow Fish (edition 1992)

by Marcus Pfister

Info:North-South Books (1992), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:Beautiful, Different

The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

animals (76) beauty (53) big book (27) children (50) children's (60) children's books (21) children's literature (26) colors (29) fantasy (39) feelings (32) fiction (127) fish (290) friends (97) friendship (262) generosity (32) happiness (22) hardcover (15) kids (17) ocean (179) picture (18) picture book (217) pride (41) rainbow (18) Rainbow Fish (27) scales (23) sea (22) self-esteem (28) selfishness (25) sharing (280) vanity (19)

English (170)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (172)
There are several reasons I like "The Rainbow Fish." First, the plot is really great for young children. It pushes readers to really think about sharing, and broadens perspectives on friendship. Second, the illustrations enhance the style of the written text by portraying the story well. The colors and shiny scales on the rainbow fish are engaging for young children. Finally, the writing flows well and is organized for students to understand. For example, “Give a glittering scale to each of the other fish. You will no longer be the most beautiful fish in the sea, but you will discover how to be happy.” The big idea of this book is that when you give away your prized possessions, you can be happier, make friends, and enjoy life more. ( )
  esiera1 | Apr 10, 2014 |
Great book to do with younger kids. ( )
  ARamirez33 | Mar 30, 2014 |
The Rainbow Fish is one of my favorite childhood picture books and because of that I enjoyed re-reading it. The Rainbow Fish pushes readers to think about sharing and being unselfish, which is a good lesson to teach younger students. The octopus explains that by saying, “This is my advice. Give a glittering scale to each of the other fish. You will no longer be the most beautiful fish in the sea, but you will discover how to be happy.” Eventually the rainbow fish realizes that giving away something that meant a lot to him makes him happy and not alone anymore. This is the central message of the book: to share and be kind to your friends, because in the end you will be a lot happier. ( )
  bkling1 | Mar 18, 2014 |
I love this book because it really gives a great message to young readers. It helps children to realize an important lesson early on in life. Beauty is nothing when you are selfish or full of yourself. There is more to life than that, and if you are willing to share what you were gifted with, then life can be even more beautiful. This book has really engaging pictures as well. A different kind of paper, which has a different color and texture, is used for the shiny silver scales. This makes it fun for children to run their fingers over it and it gives them a great visual as well. I also like how the book shows the Rainbow Fish’s thought process. For example in the book it states “Give away my scales? My beautiful shining scales? Never. How could I ever be happy without them?” This helps children to see how his views really change by the end of the story, really bringing home the main message of the book. ( )
  jsanfi1 | Mar 17, 2014 |
The Rainbow Fish is about the most beautiful ocean fish and his relationship with the world around him. While he has always been appreciated for and valued himself for his gorgeous, glittery fins, he has inevitably pushed other fish and sea creatures away. Since no one ever measured up or compared to his beauty, the Rainbow fish always believed himself to greater than the rest. However, once he realizes how his pride has only ostracized him and served to be more of a burden rather than asset, he learns the value of inner beauty and how much more it is worth than outward appearance.
I hadn't read this book in YEARS. I remember loving it as a child and even donating it to my school library when I was in elementary school. I think that the value and preciousness of the book is evenly distributed throughout the text, meaning, and imagery. The text and meaning of the book is something extremely relevant and deep for children to be exposed to. At a young age, I think that children are learning more and more about themselves and others and how interactions with others impact the relationships that result from them. I do think that while this book addresses the life process of identity formation and how to share one's gifts and talents with the world, it also is a great source of encouragement and resiliency; things that are extremely important in a child's life and development. It teaches how the recognition of diversity is a great segway to achieving inclusivity.
I also feel that the pictures and artwork in the book are well executed because they allow children to have access and exposure to quality art. The watercolor paintings are a key example of how children's books can contain wonderfully crafted artworks that elevate the standard and broaden the idea of what is considered child versus non-child art. The images are capable of standing alone, however, their presence I feel supplement and push the text further. It also helps to set a calming, peaceful mood which allows the meaning and content to come through clearly and powerfully.
  rebeccarodela | Mar 11, 2014 |
For the children of First UU Church of Austin, from Yew Grove Pagan Interfaith
A long way out in the deep blue sea there lived a fish.

The Rainbow Fish is about accepting oneself for who one is. For the shy fish, she is not comfortable swimming in the sea with her one sparkle on her skin. However, as the story continues, she gains confidence and learns to accept and embrace her individuality. As a result, she is seen as the prettiest fish in the sea.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059048169X, Hardcover)

The Rainbow Fish, with his shimmering scales, is the most beautiful fish in the ocean. But he is proud and vain and none of the other fish want to be his friend--until he learsn to give away some of his most prized possessions.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:01 -0400)

The most beautiful fish in the entire ocean discovers the real value of personal beauty and friendship.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible