The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

The Rainbow Fish (edition 1992)

by Marcus Pfister

Title:The Rainbow Fish
Authors:Marcus Pfister
Info:North-South Books (1992), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:Beautiful, Different

The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

English (322)  Dutch (5)  French (1)  All languages (328)
This book is a very favorite, no matter what age child reads. One of the best lessons learned from this book is that outer beauty is not what matters, if you are prideful about how you look, then others will not want to be around you because of vanity. But, when you show kindness and share with others, you will be loved by those around you, for the actions of your heart, not how you appear on the outside. ( )
  BlaireEHill | Oct 22, 2016 |
The Rainbow Fish is a children’s literature book that children come to know very well, so you can expect that they will be very engaged while you read it to them. You can discuss the plot of the story, what the children think will happen, and then the outcomes of the characters’ actions. You can also ask them about how they can relate the story to their lives when they are at school. Moreover, you can talk about the moral of the story, how to treat friends with kindness, and sharing is caring. This message of showing kindness through sharing is one that can never be reiterated or reinforced too often. Through reading this book, the children will be reminded of how we treat our friends ( )
  MadalynRoach | Oct 20, 2016 |
Let me say I always loved Rainbow Fish -- because I'd only seen the fish/cover. I'd never read the book. After a Children's librarian friend told me to read it, I have very strong opinions...

In the beginning, Rainbow Fish is a jerk. And the other fish shouldn't have been friends with until he quit being arrogant and superior. Also, I believe sharing is good. You should share and that's a worthy lesson. And I don't think beauty is worth more than any other gift. See comments about arrogant jerks...

But it's also very wrong to give up the thing that makes you special, and makes you YOU, just so you can have "friends". Those aren't real friends. This is Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut for kids.

Excuse me while I go deal with the pain and disappointment caused by Rainbow Fish. I think I'll return to adult crime novels. ( )
  ktoonen | Oct 20, 2016 |
I really liked this book for two reasons. First, I liked how the Rainbow Fish was a very believable character. Many people can relate to having something and believing that they were better than others because they had something. The Rainbow Fish did not play with others because he thought he was "too beautiful." Second, I liked this story because of the illustrations. There is a clear distinction between the shiny Rainbow Fish and the dull, plain regular fish. Even the starfish and octopus just blend into the page. The last page is very appealing since every fish has a shiny scale. The main message of this book is to share what you have with those who do not have those things. ( )
  rbanne1 | Oct 18, 2016 |
Growing up this was one of my favorite stories due to the overall plot as well as the illustrations within the book. I still love this book for the same reasons. ( )
  cccoch9041 | Oct 17, 2016 |
Summary: The Rainbow fish is a book about a very beautiful and shimmering fish who finds happiness by sharing his scales with the other fish.

Personal Reaction: This book is a very good book. Its morals are genuine and it not only teaches kindness but also acceptance. It also teaches how to value being yourself. I really liked this book and the pictures. It is a easy to read picture book.

Classroom Extension: It would be fun to have children make their own storybook telling/showing how they can be kind to someone.
added by rocquel | editRocquel Jefferson, Rocquel Jefferson (Aug 27, 2015)
For the children of First UU Church of Austin, from Yew Grove Pagan Interfaith
A long way out in the deep blue sea there lived a fish.

The Rainbow Fish is about accepting oneself for who one is. For the shy fish, she is not comfortable swimming in the sea with her one sparkle on her skin. However, as the story continues, she gains confidence and learns to accept and embrace her individuality. As a result, she is seen as the prettiest fish in the sea.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059048169X, Hardcover)

The Rainbow Fish, with his shimmering scales, is the most beautiful fish in the ocean. But he is proud and vain and none of the other fish want to be his friend--until he learsn to give away some of his most prized possessions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:40 -0400)

The most beautiful fish in the entire ocean discovers the real value of personal beauty and friendship.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,799,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible