The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

The Rainbow Fish (edition 1992)

by Marcus Pfister

Member:caitlin.wester
Title:The Rainbow Fish
Authors:Marcus Pfister
Info:North-South Books (1992), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:Beautiful, Different

The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

English (182)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (184)
I really liked this book. The story had a very strong overall message that happiness comes from those around you, not through the things you possess. I particularly liked the illustrations in this book the reader is able to physically touch the rainbow fish's shimmery scales which brings to life the beauty of the fish. Through the illustrations you are also able to see that the "dull" looking fish are the happiest fish through their smiles while the stunning rainbow fish was lonely. Another reason that I liked this book was that it pushes readers to realize that true happiness does not come from appearance or materialistic items, rather it comes from the love and friendship of those around you. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Sep 15, 2014 |
I really liked this book because of the message and how it pushes readers to think about tough issues. The story opens with the Rainbow Fish stating to the little blue fish, “Who do you think you are?” cried the Rainbow Fish. “Get away from me!” He did not give the little blue fish a scale. Then by the end of the story Rainbow Fish gives all of his scales away, but one. He was now happy even without his scales because he has friends. This is a good book because it pushes children to think about sharing, friendliness, and acceptance.

I also like the book because of the illustration of the main character, the Rainbow Fish. Throughout the book the Rainbow Fish has rainbow holographic foil stamping. This catches children’s’ eyes and they immediately want to touch the fish. I remember this is why I would want to keep reading the book over and over again when I was younger. Also what was really interesting is when the Rainbow Fish decides to share his scales with the other fish they had holographic foil stamping on their bodies as well. I like how the scales were rainbow holographic foil stamping because it allows readers to interact and become intrigued by the story.

The main concept of the book is being generous is much more important than your pride. Also it is about accepting and being friendly to others even though they may be different from you. ( )
  Germuth | Sep 15, 2014 |
I chose to read The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister. This story is about a fish that has beautiful, shiny scales, which he loves very much. He ends up losing all his friends because he won’t give up even one scale. He eventually gives every fish in the sea one of his scales till he only has one for himself. The purpose of this story is to discuss vanity and sharing with children. The moral of the book is that happiness comes from sharing and can make other people very happy, when you share.
In my opinion I liked this book for the reasons of the way it was written, the language and it’s illustrations. This book is a pretty well know book due to the illustrations. They enhance the story line and really help to move the story along. The book heavily relies on them. For example, when describing how beautiful the fish is in the beginning of the book, the Rainbow fish’s scales really pop off the page. The foil design of the scales by Pfister, helps the reader, especially a child, to understand just how beautiful the Rainbow fish really was and to visualize what type of fish it could be.
I liked the writing and language used by the author as it is very clear and descriptive. The sentences also flow well together. The story is also written in a way children can understand and is very relatable. An example of this is when the Rainbow fish goes looking for the octopus and finds the cave. The author describes this, writing “It was very dark inside and he couldn’t see anything suddenly two eyes caught him in their glare and the octopus emerged from the darkness. “ Every child can relate to how scary the darkness is and of being afraid of the dark at one time or another. This made the book a good for all ages read. You can tell the writer worked hard to achieve this.
Unfortunately, I didn’t like this book because its purpose and the moral. Though the book did have a good moral about sharing, I feel as if it was a little off base when it came to issues of vanity and explaining to children about individuality. The fish gives away all his scales except one. In essence, he gives away the things that make him unique and beautiful. He then becomes friends with all the fish in the sea. I feel this is implying you should change for people so they will like you. An example of this is seen when the author writes, “Come on Rainbow Fish,” they called. “Come and play with us!” Demonstrating that all the fish suddenly want to be his friends now that they all looked similar. Overall I enjoyed the book and feel a student would enjoy it for it’s illustrations and easy - to- read, relatable writing but I also didn’t like it because the moral/purpose is a tad controversial and could evoke mixed emotions and ideas. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Sep 14, 2014 |
One fish is covered with beautiful rainbow-colored glittery scales, but is very lonely. When the fish finally decides to share its scales, everyone ends up with one rainbow-colored glittery scale, and it gains friends
  LizinHillsdale | Aug 1, 2014 |
The rainbow fish was a very beautiful fish but ignored the other fish because it thought it was too good for the other fish. A small fish one day begged for one of the rainbow fish's scale but was refused. The rainbow fish ended up in a dark cave and the octopus told the rainbow fish to share his scales. The rainbow fish eventually shared one of his scales and loved the feeling of it, so he gave away all his scales but one. Then the rainbow fish was happy and played with the other fish.

Personally I like this book because it teaches children that even if they have all the things in the world they wont be happy unless they have a friend to share it with.

This book can be used when teaching about ocean animals. Have the children also share items with one another as an activity.
  RaymondGraham | Jul 10, 2014 |
For the children of First UU Church of Austin, from Yew Grove Pagan Interfaith
A long way out in the deep blue sea there lived a fish.

The Rainbow Fish is about accepting oneself for who one is. For the shy fish, she is not comfortable swimming in the sea with her one sparkle on her skin. However, as the story continues, she gains confidence and learns to accept and embrace her individuality. As a result, she is seen as the prettiest fish in the sea.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059048169X, Hardcover)

The Rainbow Fish, with his shimmering scales, is the most beautiful fish in the ocean. But he is proud and vain and none of the other fish want to be his friend--until he learsn to give away some of his most prized possessions.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:01 -0400)

The most beautiful fish in the entire ocean discovers the real value of personal beauty and friendship.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,700,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible