The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

The Rainbow Fish (edition 1992)

by Marcus Pfister

Title:The Rainbow Fish
Authors:Marcus Pfister
Info:North-South Books (1992), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:Beautiful, Different

The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

English (243)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (245)
This book was one of my childhood favorites! I love the illustrations and the plot. The illustrations are great for young students because it really grasps their attention. For example, the scales appear to be shiny and made out of different material when you physically touch the book. The plot shows what can happen if you brag about what you have and do not share. So, the overall message would be to share. Once rainbow fish stopped bragging and shared his scales, the other fish started to be more friendly and willing to be his friend.
  bemory1 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I love this book because it uses beautiful illustrations to get a great message across to children. For example, the author uses the shiny scales of the rainbow fish to draw in attention and allow for children to have effective visuals. I also really like how the author uses inner dialogue to show the reader that the rainbow fish is worried and confused about why he's so alone. This eventually leads to the main idea, which is that you cannot be selfish or self-centered if you want people (or fish) to like you. ( )
  Ajohns93 | Oct 1, 2015 |
This book was a very good read. I really enjoyed the illustrations and i also enjoyed how the scales of the rainbow fish really stuck out in the book. They really were shiny like the story says. I also enjoyed to overall plot of the book. I think this book is a good book to read so they can learn about friendship and sharing. The message of this book is that just because you may have it all doesn't mean your happy, the rainbow fish was the most beautiful fish in the sea with shiny scales but he lacked friends who wanted to be with him. So once rainbow fish started to share his scales he finally saw that sharing is really caring. ( )
  dvazqu2 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading Rainbow Fish and think that it is definitely one of my favorite children's books. One of the reasons why I like Rainbow Fish is because of the illustrations. The illustrations in Rainbow Fish do a great job of portraying Rainbow fish as being colorful and shiny as well as the other characters being illustrated in a darker color and not shiny. These illustrations make it so that the book can be used as a wordless picture book. One of the other reasons I like this book is because of the plot. The plot in Rainbow Fish entails Rainbow fish proudly talking about his scales and the as the plot continues, the other fish don't want to be around him because he is acting like he's better than the other fish. The plot follow the change in mood of Rainbow fish as he begins feeling bad. The plot of this story is conveyed in a way that children can follow but has a deep message. The plot is very easily understood because Rainbow fish is alone and then talking to the octopus and finally decides to give his shiny scales to the other fish because making them happy, makes him happy. The message in Rainbow Fish is to share. When Rainbow fish refuses to share his shiny scales, the other fish don't want to be around him because he isn't being nice. Once he begins to share his shiny scales with the other fish, they were happy and wanted to be around him, but he also realized that sharing with others made him feel good. ( )
  tpuryear | Sep 28, 2015 |
What drew me to this book as a kid, and even now, are the beautiful illustrations. I like how beautiful the illustrations of all the fishes are and how Rainbow Fishes' scales are shiny and colorful just like the story describes it. In my opinion, this is a great children's book that really embraces the meaning of sharing through fun characters. It was an easy to read, engaging story that flowed well. Pfister does a good job of writing Rainbow Fishes' second thoughts on sharing his colorful scales. It really emphasis the satisfaction of sharing with others. Having Rainbow Fish eventually giving all of his scales to the different fishes in the ocean demonstrates how it is rewarding to share something that one has that another person may not. ( )
  blim3 | Sep 17, 2015 |
Summary: The Rainbow fish is a book about a very beautiful and shimmering fish who finds happiness by sharing his scales with the other fish.

Personal Reaction: This book is a very good book. Its morals are genuine and it not only teaches kindness but also acceptance. It also teaches how to value being yourself. I really liked this book and the pictures. It is a easy to read picture book.

Classroom Extension: It would be fun to have children make their own storybook telling/showing how they can be kind to someone.
added by rocquel | editRocquel Jefferson, Rocquel Jefferson (Aug 27, 2015)
For the children of First UU Church of Austin, from Yew Grove Pagan Interfaith
A long way out in the deep blue sea there lived a fish.

The Rainbow Fish is about accepting oneself for who one is. For the shy fish, she is not comfortable swimming in the sea with her one sparkle on her skin. However, as the story continues, she gains confidence and learns to accept and embrace her individuality. As a result, she is seen as the prettiest fish in the sea.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059048169X, Hardcover)

The Rainbow Fish, with his shimmering scales, is the most beautiful fish in the ocean. But he is proud and vain and none of the other fish want to be his friend--until he learsn to give away some of his most prized possessions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:40 -0400)

The most beautiful fish in the entire ocean discovers the real value of personal beauty and friendship.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,761,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible