The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

The Rainbow Fish (edition 1992)

by Marcus Pfister

Member:caitlin.wester
Title:The Rainbow Fish
Authors:Marcus Pfister
Info:North-South Books (1992), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:Beautiful, Different

The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

English (272)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (274)
The Rainbow Fish was a beautiful, on the outside, proud fish. The Rainbow Fish knew that he was beautiful and knew that everyone around thought so to. The Rainbow Fish was also very selfish in not wanting to share his beauty and was unkind to those around him, by not wanting to play, because he thought he was to good and did not want to share.

When reading the Rainbow Fish I thought about when I was growing up and how classmates would think that they were better than this person or that person simply because they wore clothes that someone else did not. I had to learn the hard way that those people were not true friends. I may not have had the name brand clothes but I had nice clothes. I grew up taking up for those who were not able to take up for themselves when confronted by the "I'm to good for you" people. I try very hard to teach my daughter to ALWAYS be kind and never make fun of others just because they don't have the same things as you. Those ugly in school are still ugly to this day and are very unhappy.

For my classroom extention I would have the following supplies:

A bouquet of flowers
A large Flower Pot
Small flower pots (enough for entire class)
Flower Seeds
Potting Soil
Water

I would show the kids my flowers, let them touch them, smell them, hold them. Once all the kids had a turn checking out the flowers, I would remove them and let the kids know that they were mine and that I didn't want to share because they were to pretty. Now once this statement was made and they kids started asking why, I would relate the book to the flowers and how the fish was unkind by not sharing. I would ask them if I was kind by not sharing or if just one big flower pot full of flowers for me would make them happy or if everyone had a flower pot full of flowers, would that make them happy? Then I would give each child a flower pot with potting soil and seeds to plant and then let them water them to help them grow.
  morgan_817 | Feb 11, 2016 |
This book is awesome! The fact that it teaches children to share with other people is one of the best parts of the book. The artwork and choice of colors used to grab the audiences attention is wonderful. There are bright colors and shiny scales that keep the attention of the children, which is a big plus! ( )
  Chelsey_Fodder | Feb 4, 2016 |
This is a great book to read when teaching students about character. Rainbow fish is fond of his shiny scales and doesn't share them. Rainbow fish's friends won't play with him because of his rudeness but Rainbow fish find happiness when he shows his generosity,
  carldgibson | Dec 16, 2015 |
This story is about a fish who has bright beautiful scales. He loves his scales. One day a small fish asked if he could have one. Rainbow fish rudely tells him no. The other fish are upset that Rainbow fish is not sharing and decide not to play with him anymore. Rainbow fish confides in his friend octopus who advises him to share his scales. ( )
  DaniDeb12 | Dec 3, 2015 |
Rainbow fish is beautiful, but beauty is not only on the surface. Rainbow fish learns a valuable lesson that includes sharing, and being kind. ( )
  KassRuiz | Dec 3, 2015 |
Summary: The Rainbow fish is a book about a very beautiful and shimmering fish who finds happiness by sharing his scales with the other fish.

Personal Reaction: This book is a very good book. Its morals are genuine and it not only teaches kindness but also acceptance. It also teaches how to value being yourself. I really liked this book and the pictures. It is a easy to read picture book.

Classroom Extension: It would be fun to have children make their own storybook telling/showing how they can be kind to someone.
added by rocquel | editRocquel Jefferson, Rocquel Jefferson (Aug 27, 2015)

For the children of First UU Church of Austin, from Yew Grove Pagan Interfaith
A long way out in the deep blue sea there lived a fish.

The Rainbow Fish is about accepting oneself for who one is. For the shy fish, she is not comfortable swimming in the sea with her one sparkle on her skin. However, as the story continues, she gains confidence and learns to accept and embrace her individuality. As a result, she is seen as the prettiest fish in the sea.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059048169X, Hardcover)

The Rainbow Fish, with his shimmering scales, is the most beautiful fish in the ocean. But he is proud and vain and none of the other fish want to be his friend--until he learsn to give away some of his most prized possessions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:40 -0400)

The most beautiful fish in the entire ocean discovers the real value of personal beauty and friendship.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,234,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible