The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

The Rainbow Fish (edition 1992)

by Marcus Pfister

Member:caitlin.wester
Title:The Rainbow Fish
Authors:Marcus Pfister
Info:North-South Books (1992), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:TED 255
Tags:Beautiful, Different

The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

Recently added bysunsparks1018, Dream24, VanWaeyenberg, NVCCCDC, sockmonkey14, dmcwo, private library, SMISEY, docdroe

English (179)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (181)
One fish is covered with beautiful rainbow-colored glittery scales, but is very lonely. When the fish finally decides to share its scales, everyone ends up with one rainbow-colored glittery scale, and it gains friends
  LizinHillsdale | Aug 1, 2014 |
The rainbow fish was a very beautiful fish but ignored the other fish because it thought it was too good for the other fish. A small fish one day begged for one of the rainbow fish's scale but was refused. The rainbow fish ended up in a dark cave and the octopus told the rainbow fish to share his scales. The rainbow fish eventually shared one of his scales and loved the feeling of it, so he gave away all his scales but one. Then the rainbow fish was happy and played with the other fish.

Personally I like this book because it teaches children that even if they have all the things in the world they wont be happy unless they have a friend to share it with.

This book can be used when teaching about ocean animals. Have the children also share items with one another as an activity.
  RaymondGraham | Jul 10, 2014 |
"And the more he gave away, the more delighted he became. " This adorable book reminds me of the phrase, "a man does not become poor by giving". Who among us would not improve their lives by being more kind and generous? For a classroom activity, I'd like to read and discuss the book with the students. Then I would provide each student with a fish with scales of a single color. I'd instruct them to spend the day giving a scale to a classmate every time they were kind. At the end of the day, every student would (hopefully) have a multi-colored fish. Then we could discuss that even though the acts felt small, we changed overall into better more beautiful people. ( )
  rmhuey | Jun 22, 2014 |
“His most prized possession had been given away” This book teaches how if you keep everything to yourself, you can become very lonely. I would gather all the kids and give one kid all the toy’s. After about 30-60 seconds I would switch kids until everyone had a turn. Then I would have the kids all play with the toys. We would then talk about which one was more fun. I would keep track of answers on the board. This will prove that sharing is fun! ( )
  WesGen | Jun 22, 2014 |
This could be a great book to teach about how being a friend requires selflessness. It centers around a fish with shining rainbow scales. When the rainbow fish refuses to share his scales with another fish, the other fish in the ocean shun him. The Rainbow fish realizes he is lonely without the other fish, and eventually decides to share his scales with the other fish.
  cseiger | Jun 13, 2014 |
For the children of First UU Church of Austin, from Yew Grove Pagan Interfaith
A long way out in the deep blue sea there lived a fish.

The Rainbow Fish is about accepting oneself for who one is. For the shy fish, she is not comfortable swimming in the sea with her one sparkle on her skin. However, as the story continues, she gains confidence and learns to accept and embrace her individuality. As a result, she is seen as the prettiest fish in the sea.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059048169X, Hardcover)

The Rainbow Fish, with his shimmering scales, is the most beautiful fish in the ocean. But he is proud and vain and none of the other fish want to be his friend--until he learsn to give away some of his most prized possessions.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:01 -0400)

The most beautiful fish in the entire ocean discovers the real value of personal beauty and friendship.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,121,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible