1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

1Q84 (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Haruki Murakami

Series: 1Q84 (1-2)

Member:woland64
Title:1Q84
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Einaudi (2011), Hardcover
Rating:*****

1Q84 : books one and two by Haruki Murakami (2009)

English (29)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  Catalan (2)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
Not read any Japanese fiction before, and I don't seem to be counting Kazuo Ishiguro in that, but I'm really enjoying this tome.

I love the dual narrative, the love story and the plot. However try describing just what is happening to someone and you'll get some bizarre looks. It's literally all going on.

Not just keen to get onto the third part, but also relieved to be reading a lighter, slighter book! ( )
  ellohull | Feb 10, 2016 |
Book 1 = Wow I absolutely adore this story so far, the year is 1984 or is it? we are following the lives of Aonome a fitness instructor who specialises in womens self defence and Tengo a maths teacher cum writer of fiction.

At first their lives seem completely separate but little by little as we learn about them we begin to see relationships that were hidden before.

Book 2 = I still utterly hooked by this story even though there are some very uncomfortable aspects to what is now happening. Some questions are answered but more appear to replace them. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
A brilliant masterpiece from Murakami and I cannot wait to read Book 3. Centred around Aomame and Tengo with alternate chapters for each character, this novel twists around a real 1984 and a different version - IQ84. Both characters are drawn through circumstance and events into this new world although their involvement is quite different. Magical realism is slow to take hold in this novel but is there from the outset and is interwoven through action, choice and description. It may be over 600 pages but it reads in a very short time. I really enjoyed this and would give it 4.5 stars. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
Diventa difficile esprimersi su un'opera cosi' monumentale e dalle mirabolanti invenzioni. I personaggi sono tuttavia didascalici, e molti punti focali sono trattati con una funzionalità che perde magia e non aggiunge scorrevolezza al romanzo. Anzi, si scopre l'artefatto e si vede come la trama possa continuare solo con queste forzature. Questo è quello che da lettore contesto a Murakami. Poi la trascrizione dei pensieri dei due protagonisti è davvero troppo letteraria.

In ogni modo, avere la gestione di questo mondo e portarlo avanti cosi' a lungo, in modo avvincente e completo, non e' da tutti.
---
Feb 2013

Raramente rileggo libri, ma per iniziare il terzo libro era necessario avere chiari gli altri, e un poco a fatica mi sono ripermesso di nuovo queste 700 pagine.
Tuttavia, alla seconda lettura il libro acquista spessore, i personaggi profondita', la trama struttura.
Felice di averlo fatto.
Ora si puo' iniziare il terzo... ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
As 10 year old school students, Tengo and Aomame share a "moment" which links them together even though they soon become separated. We meet them 20 years later each following their own path but their lives again become linked through their association with Sakigake, an alternative commune with mystical practices
The storyline is most unusual although engaging. I felt the writing somewhat stilted, but perhaps this is intentional. Also some unusual behaviours., such as Tengo,s response to older girlfriends abrupt ending of a relationship, or his reaction (or lack of) to his missing publisher. Or the taxi driver advising Aomame that the traffic is heavy on the road and perhaps she should go to the toilet before they leave!
The ending to book 2 was not very satisfying and hopefully book 3 will provide some answers. ( )
  TheWasp | Sep 6, 2014 |

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amitrano, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gräfe, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's a Barnum and Bailey world,
Just as phony as it can be,
But it wouldn't be make-believe
If you believed in me.
"It's Only a Paper Moon" (E.Y. Harburg & Harold Arlen)
The taxi's radio was tuned to a Classical FM broadcast.

Two moons in the sky.
She's irretrievably lost.
He's in the cat town.
(PhileasHannay)

An ode to George Orwell's "1984" told in alternating male and female voices relates the stories of Aomame, an assassin for a secret organization who discovers that she has been transported to an alternate reality, and Tengo, a mathematics lecturer and novice writer.… (more)

121 wanted6 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,247,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible