1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

1Q84 (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Haruki Murakami

Series: 1Q84 (1-2)

Member:woland64
Title:1Q84
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Einaudi (2011), Hardcover
Rating:*****

1Q84 : books one and two by Haruki Murakami (2009)

English (33)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  Catalan (2)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (54)
This is part one of the latest work by Murakami, 1Q84. Here in The Netherlands, the Dutch version of this book has been published in three parts, so I have about 1000 more pages to look forward to. One thing that this does mean, is that Murakami can take his time to tell his story. As a reader, you slowly get eased into the world he creates, which gets further removed from reality very slowly. I love this about this book, you can really get lost in it.
There is not much I can say about the story so far, I feel it is just getting started. In it we follow Aomame and Tengo in alternating chapters. Weird things are happening to them both, and slowly we realize that they might have something to do with each other, now or in the past. I don’t want to say more because I don’t want to spoil the discovery of the story.
I do have to give a special compliment to the Dutch translator (Jacques Westerhoven) and publisher (Atlas) for this edition. Not only is it a beautiful hardcover, but Westerhoven has added footnotes to explain some typical Japanese customs, history and culture. As far as I know, none of the (UK edition) other books by Murakami I have read have had these. While it does take you out of the story a bit, it does enhance it by letting you enjoy some of the subtle things Murakami does in his story.
Even though this is part one of three, I love it already. I just hope the other two parts deliver.

This is part two of the latest Murakami, 1Q84. The story of Tengo and Aomame continues on. Slowly more becomes clear of the world they inhabit, and what’s going on with all the characters. The story is still being told through alternating chapters, but the stories interweave more and more.
There is not much else I can say that I haven’t already said in my review for part one. The story keeps getting better and better, and the translation into Dutch is very good too. This book gets another five out of five stars from me. ( )
  divinenanny | Sep 27, 2016 |
Enorm spannend, ja (zumindest spannend genug, um mich derartig lange zum Weiterlesen zu bewegen). Im Nachhinein wirken die 1021 Seiten nun nicht mehr ganz so gut gefüllt, das Gefühl, dass 300 weniger noch gut reichen würden, bleibt. Das wäre ja nicht schlimm. 1Q84 ist meist mitreißend, gelegentlich wirklich witzig, ab und zu sehr relatable und manchmal sogar traurig oder zu "Aww!"s nötigend. Die meiste Zeit, spätestens ab der Hälfte (oder so) ist es mir trotzdem sehr, sehr unsympathisch. "Unsympathisch", das ist in etwa so, wie ich Homo Faber sehr gern gelesen hab, ohne den leichten Widerwillen und Ekel vor irgendetwas Durchschimmernden jemals loszuwerden. 1Q84 ist wie Homo Faber über 1021 Seiten. (Plus wirklich verquere Einleitung zu einer Vergewaltigung: "Im Herbst ihres ersten Studienjahres verlor Tamaki ihre Jungfräulichkeit". Ew.)
Dann wieder, die bizarr komischen Vergleiche, die mich an Sputnik Sweetheart sehr störten, bleiben aus, auch "DAS UNDEFINIERTE ÜBERSINNLICHE EINSELF WEIL ES GIBT MEHR ALS WIR SEHEN!" wird nicht derart übelkeiterregend auf mich losgelassen.
Ich glaube, Murakami ist halt ein abstoßender Mensch Mitte sechzig und dieses Buch ziemlich gut. ( )
  kthxy | May 6, 2016 |
Not read any Japanese fiction before, and I don't seem to be counting Kazuo Ishiguro in that, but I'm really enjoying this tome.

I love the dual narrative, the love story and the plot. However try describing just what is happening to someone and you'll get some bizarre looks. It's literally all going on.

Not just keen to get onto the third part, but also relieved to be reading a lighter, slighter book! ( )
  ellohull | Feb 10, 2016 |
Book 1 = Wow I absolutely adore this story so far, the year is 1984 or is it? we are following the lives of Aonome a fitness instructor who specialises in womens self defence and Tengo a maths teacher cum writer of fiction.

At first their lives seem completely separate but little by little as we learn about them we begin to see relationships that were hidden before.

Book 2 = I still utterly hooked by this story even though there are some very uncomfortable aspects to what is now happening. Some questions are answered but more appear to replace them. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
A brilliant masterpiece from Murakami and I cannot wait to read Book 3. Centred around Aomame and Tengo with alternate chapters for each character, this novel twists around a real 1984 and a different version - IQ84. Both characters are drawn through circumstance and events into this new world although their involvement is quite different. Magical realism is slow to take hold in this novel but is there from the outset and is interwoven through action, choice and description. It may be over 600 pages but it reads in a very short time. I really enjoyed this and would give it 4.5 stars. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Amitrano, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gräfe, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's a Barnum and Bailey world,
Just as phony as it can be,
But it wouldn't be make-believe
If you believed in me.
"It's Only a Paper Moon" (E.Y. Harburg & Harold Arlen)
The taxi's radio was tuned to a Classical FM broadcast.

Two moons in the sky.
She's irretrievably lost.
He's in the cat town.
(PhileasHannay)

An ode to George Orwell's "1984" told in alternating male and female voices relates the stories of Aomame, an assassin for a secret organization who discovers that she has been transported to an alternate reality, and Tengo, a mathematics lecturer and novice writer.… (more)

118 wanted6 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,762,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible