1Q84: Books 1 and 2: Books 1 and 2 by Haruki…

1Q84: Books 1 and 2: Books 1 and 2 (original 2009; edition 2012)

by Haruki Murakami

Series: 1Q84 (1-2)

Member:govnusha
Title:1Q84: Books 1 and 2: Books 1 and 2
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Vintage (2012), Paperback
Rating:*****

1Q84: Books 1 and 2 by Haruki Murakami (2009)

English (36)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (59)
First Japanese book I read and really enjoyed. I really enjoyed the intertwining story lines. Can’t wait to try another of his books. ( )
  newlad | Apr 11, 2018 |
Questi giapponesi...

Mi accade solo con gli giappo di leggere le cose più fantasiose, fatastiche e surreali e di accettarne supinamente la logica. Riescono ad avvicinarti piano piano, con immagini affascinanti, con parole sospese fra la realtà e qualcosa che realtà non è ma che diventa pian piano un altro mondo, plausibile, possibile come quello che hai appena lasciato. E' una virtù tutta loro (o almeno, per le letterature che ho affrontato io, mi sembra così!), soltanto nelle loro pagine riescono in questa sorta di magia. E, prima che te ne accorgi, quel mondo è intorno a te, lo accetti e ne vivi le emozioni come fosse la nuova realtà da vivere. Aomame è un personaggio meraviglioso. Questi sono i primi 2 libri usciti insieme. Ce n'è un terzo, che non so se leggerò, perchè arrivata all'ultima frase del libro ho pensato che mi stava bene così.
  Magrathea | Dec 30, 2017 |
...e inoltre, noioso, farraginoso,troppo lungo...

[audiolibro] ( )
  icaro. | Aug 31, 2017 |
This is part one of the latest work by Murakami, 1Q84. Here in The Netherlands, the Dutch version of this book has been published in three parts, so I have about 1000 more pages to look forward to. One thing that this does mean, is that Murakami can take his time to tell his story. As a reader, you slowly get eased into the world he creates, which gets further removed from reality very slowly. I love this about this book, you can really get lost in it.
There is not much I can say about the story so far, I feel it is just getting started. In it we follow Aomame and Tengo in alternating chapters. Weird things are happening to them both, and slowly we realize that they might have something to do with each other, now or in the past. I don’t want to say more because I don’t want to spoil the discovery of the story.
I do have to give a special compliment to the Dutch translator (Jacques Westerhoven) and publisher (Atlas) for this edition. Not only is it a beautiful hardcover, but Westerhoven has added footnotes to explain some typical Japanese customs, history and culture. As far as I know, none of the (UK edition) other books by Murakami I have read have had these. While it does take you out of the story a bit, it does enhance it by letting you enjoy some of the subtle things Murakami does in his story.
Even though this is part one of three, I love it already. I just hope the other two parts deliver.

This is part two of the latest Murakami, 1Q84. The story of Tengo and Aomame continues on. Slowly more becomes clear of the world they inhabit, and what’s going on with all the characters. The story is still being told through alternating chapters, but the stories interweave more and more.
There is not much else I can say that I haven’t already said in my review for part one. The story keeps getting better and better, and the translation into Dutch is very good too. This book gets another five out of five stars from me. ( )
  divinenanny | Sep 27, 2016 |
Enorm spannend, ja (zumindest spannend genug, um mich derartig lange zum Weiterlesen zu bewegen). Im Nachhinein wirken die 1021 Seiten nun nicht mehr ganz so gut gefüllt, das Gefühl, dass 300 weniger noch gut reichen würden, bleibt. Das wäre ja nicht schlimm. 1Q84 ist meist mitreißend, gelegentlich wirklich witzig, ab und zu sehr relatable und manchmal sogar traurig oder zu "Aww!"s nötigend. Die meiste Zeit, spätestens ab der Hälfte (oder so) ist es mir trotzdem sehr, sehr unsympathisch. "Unsympathisch", das ist in etwa so, wie ich Homo Faber sehr gern gelesen hab, ohne den leichten Widerwillen und Ekel vor irgendetwas Durchschimmernden jemals loszuwerden. 1Q84 ist wie Homo Faber über 1021 Seiten. (Plus wirklich verquere Einleitung zu einer Vergewaltigung: "Im Herbst ihres ersten Studienjahres verlor Tamaki ihre Jungfräulichkeit". Ew.)
Dann wieder, die bizarr komischen Vergleiche, die mich an Sputnik Sweetheart sehr störten, bleiben aus, auch "DAS UNDEFINIERTE ÜBERSINNLICHE EINSELF WEIL ES GIBT MEHR ALS WIR SEHEN!" wird nicht derart übelkeiterregend auf mich losgelassen.
Ich glaube, Murakami ist halt ein abstoßender Mensch Mitte sechzig und dieses Buch ziemlich gut. ( )
  kthxy | May 6, 2016 |

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Amitrano, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gräfe, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's a Barnum and Bailey world,
Just as phony as it can be,
But it wouldn't be make-believe
If you believed in me.
"It's Only a Paper Moon" (E.Y. Harburg & Harold Arlen)
The taxi's radio was tuned to a Classical FM broadcast.

Two moons in the sky.
She's irretrievably lost.
He's in the cat town.
(PhileasHannay)

An ode to George Orwell's "1984" told in alternating male and female voices relates the stories of Aomame, an assassin for a secret organization who discovers that she has been transported to an alternate reality, and Tengo, a mathematics lecturer and novice writer.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,721,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible