Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis

by James Luceno

1932761,059 (3.81)10

A decent read in very familiar territory. Interesting to read the back story on the Emperor. ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
From start to finish Star Wars Darth Plagueis is filled with action, but not a lot of the lightsaber/blater bolts kind of action that all Star Wars novels have at least some amount of. This story is filled with the brilliant scheming, plotting and political maneuvering of the evil mastermind who is said to be the most powerful Sith Lord who ever lived.

The origins of Darth Sidious are explored in this story and-despite the novel's title-I found myself even more engrossed in the development of young Sidious than Darth Plagueis.

There turned out to be WAY more story in this book than I ever dreamed. Several characters from Star Wars The Clone Wars such as Onaconda Farr and Mother Talzin made appearances or where mentioned, lots of references to Darth Bane where included throughout the book (and although you can easily follow the story without having read the Darth Bane trilogy I am glad that I had already done so before reading this novel), and I was surprised to see that not only did this story take place before the events of The Phantom Menace but some of the story actually at the time of those events. Also I enjoyed a little more in depth info on the origins of Padme' Amidala whom was named Queen of Naboo in this novel.

Among many surprises the one that shocked me most was discovering that Jabba the Hutt can speak basic. I never knew.

Over all I would suggest this book to a Star Wars fan, especially one who particularly enjoyed titles like The Phantom Menace and Cloak Of Deception which are greatly more involved in the political side of the Star Wars universe. ( )
  Revan97 | Aug 12, 2014 |
My first Star Wars book. It was very enjoyable. I found the characters rather compelling and this book was really fun to read.

I will be looking into a few more Star Wars book because of this one. Nice. ( )
  damienfranco | Aug 22, 2013 |
Fantastic lead-up to Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. When this book was first released I read it within a matter of days and have since been reading it again to re-live the intriguing story of Darth Plagueis the wise. I was really impressed with how well James Luceno incorporated material and cannon from previous books on the Sith (particularly the Darth Bane series) in order to give you a sense of continuity in the initial plan set in motion by Darth Bane himself.

The intelligent writing and knowledge that Luceno has on the galaxy as a whole helps this novel have a real Star Wars 'feel' about it, where others before and after it have failed to capture that atmosphere. At times the book can be a little slow, and you may find yourself thinking, if only slightly, "Where is this going?", but ultimately it is all relevant in some way. The details matter a lot for me in this book and it does a fantastic job of tying up loose ends here and there in the periods set before and around the first three movies.
  Samuel_J_C | Jul 24, 2013 |
This book disappointed me, I expected an extended story detailing the trials and tribulations of Darth Plagueis. Instead, I get the basic plotline that lead to the beginning of Episode 1 with some hints on what occured between 1 and 2. I wanted more about the actual character Plagueis. This book didn't fill in the details. I got some hints as to why certain events happened leading up to Episode 1, but they didn't hold the sway as the thought of learning about Sidious's master did.

Disappointed. Definitely. Though a true SW fan will love this book. ( )
  gilroy | Jun 8, 2013 |
For Howard Roffman, whose intelligence, critical acumen, and stalwart direction helped shape this story
A tremor took hold of the planet.

Sith Darth Sidious: / More the main guy in book of / Darth Plagueis the Wise. (legallypuzzled)
"Always two there are" / Is Sith teaching, except when / The plot needs one more. (legallypuzzled)

Darth Plagueis, a Sith Lord who knows the Dark Side so well that he has power over life and death, joins forces with his apprentice, one-day emperor Darth Sidious, to try to dominate the whole galaxy.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,925,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible