Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis

by James Luceno

168None70,620 (3.73)10
Recently added byprivate library, pa5t0rd, ChrisChalmers, CoreyScott, mathgeek, Dureo, hakoreh, mcroushorn, tehone

I really enjoyed this book. After the whimper of an ending that was Fate of the Jedi, I wasn't really looking forward to any Star Wars books.

While this story is more about Palps, it is a good look at the thoughts of a pair of Sith. And I tell you, it was weird.

Many times I just shook my head and said "how deluded can someone be?". Then I realized I was reading about a human, so I realized I shouldn't be surprised :)

Definitely comes on strong for the "Sith are ok, not evil, just different" baloney line of philosophy. But while I noted that, I didn't really find it affecting my reading or enjoyment, more of just something to keep in the back of my head.

So yeah, sith are evil baby eating scum, and names/titles like "Darth X the wise" [which are usually self appointed] don't really apply. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
My first Star Wars book. It was very enjoyable. I found the characters rather compelling and this book was really fun to read.

I will be looking into a few more Star Wars book because of this one. Nice. ( )
  damienfranco | Aug 22, 2013 |
Fantastic lead-up to Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. When this book was first released I read it within a matter of days and have since been reading it again to re-live the intriguing story of Darth Plagueis the wise. I was really impressed with how well James Luceno incorporated material and cannon from previous books on the Sith (particularly the Darth Bane series) in order to give you a sense of continuity in the initial plan set in motion by Darth Bane himself.

The intelligent writing and knowledge that Luceno has on the galaxy as a whole helps this novel have a real Star Wars 'feel' about it, where others before and after it have failed to capture that atmosphere. At times the book can be a little slow, and you may find yourself thinking, if only slightly, "Where is this going?", but ultimately it is all relevant in some way. The details matter a lot for me in this book and it does a fantastic job of tying up loose ends here and there in the periods set before and around the first three movies.
  Samuel_J_C | Jul 24, 2013 |
This book disappointed me, I expected an extended story detailing the trials and tribulations of Darth Plagueis. Instead, I get the basic plotline that lead to the beginning of Episode 1 with some hints on what occured between 1 and 2. I wanted more about the actual character Plagueis. This book didn't fill in the details. I got some hints as to why certain events happened leading up to Episode 1, but they didn't hold the sway as the thought of learning about Sidious's master did.

Disappointed. Definitely. Though a true SW fan will love this book. ( )
  gilroy | Jun 8, 2013 |
The book, in principal, deals with Darth Plagueis' Sith carrer from removing his previous master until his own eventual death.

Plaguies was the Master of Sideous who plays a pivitol roll in the films.

The story has it's ups and downs but overall is very good, if you, like me, want an insight into dealings before, and leading up to, the Phantom Menace you will be extremely pleased as it answers questions you may have had because of that film. ( )
  LivedeviL | Apr 24, 2013 |
For Howard Roffman, whose intelligence, critical acumen, and stalwart direction helped shape this story
A tremor took hold of the planet.

Sith Darth Sidious: / More the main guy in book of / Darth Plagueis the Wise. (legallypuzzled)
"Always two there are" / Is Sith teaching, except when / The plot needs one more. (legallypuzzled)

Darth Plagueis, a Sith Lord who knows the Dark Side so well that he has power over life and death, joins forces with his apprentice, one-day emperor Darth Sidious, to try to dominate the whole galaxy.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,435,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible