Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis

by James Luceno

My first Star Wars book. It was very enjoyable. I found the characters rather compelling and this book was really fun to read.

I will be looking into a few more Star Wars book because of this one. Nice. ( )
  damienfranco | Aug 22, 2013 |
Fantastic lead-up to Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. When this book was first released I read it within a matter of days and have since been reading it again to re-live the intriguing story of Darth Plagueis the wise. I was really impressed with how well James Luceno incorporated material and cannon from previous books on the Sith (particularly the Darth Bane series) in order to give you a sense of continuity in the initial plan set in motion by Darth Bane himself.

The intelligent writing and knowledge that Luceno has on the galaxy as a whole helps this novel have a real Star Wars 'feel' about it, where others before and after it have failed to capture that atmosphere. At times the book can be a little slow, and you may find yourself thinking, if only slightly, "Where is this going?", but ultimately it is all relevant in some way. The details matter a lot for me in this book and it does a fantastic job of tying up loose ends here and there in the periods set before and around the first three movies.
  Samuel_J_C | Jul 24, 2013 |
This book disappointed me, I expected an extended story detailing the trials and tribulations of Darth Plagueis. Instead, I get the basic plotline that lead to the beginning of Episode 1 with some hints on what occured between 1 and 2. I wanted more about the actual character Plagueis. This book didn't fill in the details. I got some hints as to why certain events happened leading up to Episode 1, but they didn't hold the sway as the thought of learning about Sidious's master did.

Disappointed. Definitely. Though a true SW fan will love this book. ( )
  gilroy | Jun 8, 2013 |
The book, in principal, deals with Darth Plagueis' Sith carrer from removing his previous master until his own eventual death.

Plaguies was the Master of Sideous who plays a pivitol roll in the films.

The story has it's ups and downs but overall is very good, if you, like me, want an insight into dealings before, and leading up to, the Phantom Menace you will be extremely pleased as it answers questions you may have had because of that film. ( )
  LivedeviL | Apr 24, 2013 |
Apparently this Star Wars novel had been highly anticipated since its announcement years ago, and I had no idea until after I finished it and decided to look it up. Now that I've read it, I guess I can see why. Darth Plagueis is probably worth reading simply if for no other reason other than how "canon" it is, if you're a big Star Wars fan. I heard that the author worked really closely with LucasFilms to get it just right. And yes, I did find that it explained a lot about the events of the prequel movies, and I now have a better understanding of the backstory behind them.

But I don't want to make it sound like that's the only reason to pick up this book, because there's a lot more that makes it a worthwhile read. For one thing, I was surprised at the quality of the writing, especially for a Star Wars novel. I've read some of Luceno's other Star Wars titles in the past, and as you can see from those reviews in my book list, I wasn't very impressed. But I was quite happy with his efforts with Darth Plagueis, to the point I couldn't believe it was the same author. It's obvious he put his full heart and soul into writing this.

Darth Plaguis is also quite different from many of the Star Wars book I've read in the past. It's less action oriented, and instead focuses more on political intrigue. There are some fight sequences and light saber action of course, but the bulk of the story is about the Sith lords acting and pulling strings behind the scenes. ( )
1 vote stefferoo | Mar 5, 2013 |
For Howard Roffman, whose intelligence, critical acumen, and stalwart direction helped shape this story
A tremor took hold of the planet.

Sith Darth Sidious: / More the main guy in book of / Darth Plagueis the Wise. (legallypuzzled)
"Always two there are" / Is Sith teaching, except when / The plot needs one more. (legallypuzzled)

Darth Plagueis, a Sith Lord who knows the Dark Side so well that he has power over life and death, joins forces with his apprentice, one-day emperor Darth Sidious, to try to dominate the whole galaxy.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,543,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible