Darth Plagueis: Star Wars by James Luceno

Darth Plagueis: Star Wars (edition 2012)

by James Luceno

Tags:star wars, sci-fi

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno

3 1/2 stars: Good

----------

From the back cover:Darth Plagueis, like all Sith Lords before him, he craves absolute power. But like no Sith Lord ever, he possesses the ultimate power--over life and death. Darth Sidious: in secret he masters the power of the dark side while publicly climbing to the highest government office. One desires to rule supreme; the other dreams of living forever. Together, they will destory the Jedi and rule the galaxy-- unless merciless Sith traditional becomes their undoing.

-----------------

The description above doesn't really describe the book's plot at all. SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

In the first chapter, Darth Plagueis, apprentice, kills his master, Darth Tenebrous. We can intuit that Plagueis' own end will come by Sidious; when it does happen, its anti climactic.

The book is almost entirely about Sidious, not Plagueis. How Sidious befriends him, and primes him for his role. How Sidious becomes a politician and starts working the trade federation factions against each other, to cause chaos and instability. And ultimately, how Sidious primes Annakin Skywalker to be his apprentice. The book overlaps some of the happenings in the prequel trilogy, referring to Darth Maul (also a Sidious apprentice, and the first time that there have been more than two Sith-- Tenebrous, Maul, and Sidious) and Qui-Gon Jinn, as well as events in Revenge of the Sith.

I liked this read, it was a solid good. I learned that like the Shadows in Babylon 5, the Sith believe that only through conflict do we grow; whereas the Jedi believe in order. The plot was engaging and it was interesting to hear the machinations and thoughts of Sidious in particular, as he takes interest in young Skywalker... ( )
1 vote PokPok | Mar 12, 2017 |
If you loved Star Wars prequels, then this is the good book for you. If you loved the political machinations, bureaucratic maneuvering, and midichlorians from The Phantom Menace, then this book is perfect for you.

There was the brief line in Revenge of the Sith about the powerful Darth Plagueis. So this is like Rogue One, providing the backstory leading up to the trilogy.

But not very good. I, like most people I know, found the prequel trilogy's focus on politics to be tedious. I found this book to be tedious. So many characters and worlds are brought in and tossed around needlessly.

One positive for the audiobook was audio effects. The publisher managed to get rights to some of the Star Wars effects, propping up the tedious story to get you to pay attention when a blaster fires or a light saber is activated. ( )
  dougcornelius | Dec 29, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. After the whimper of an ending that was Fate of the Jedi, I wasn't really looking forward to any Star Wars books.

While this story is more about Palps, it is a good look at the thoughts of a pair of Sith. And I tell you, it was weird.

Many times I just shook my head and said how deluded can someone be?". Then I realized I was reading about a human, so I realized I shouldn't be surprised :)

Definitely comes on strong for the "Sith are ok, not evil, just different" baloney line of philosophy. But while I noted that, I didn't really find it affecting my reading or enjoyment, more of just something to keep in the back of my head.

So yeah, sith are evil baby eating scum, and names/titles like "Darth X the wise" [which are usually self appointed] don't really apply." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This was an incredible read for a die-hard Star Wars fan. This book was capable of telling the story of one of the most mysterious characters in the Star Wars universe, Darth Plagueis, the mentor of the legendary Sith Lord, Darth Sidious. The book itself covers the tale of Plagueis, after he defects from his mentor and until he meets Sidious (No spoilers included!).For a fan of the universe who can't get enough, this is the perfect book, as it describes the lives and history of one of the commonly overlooked species of the universe, the Muun. If you are a Star Wars fan at all, you MUST read this book. Just sad it isn't cannon...
  dbhatia | Nov 9, 2016 |
This was a great book to fill in so many blanks for Star Wars fans, I really enjoyed it. The only problem was that in quite a few sections there was a lot of rambling descriptions about banking, Muuns, planets etc. which could have been condensed into more enjoyable yet still descriptive sections. ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
For Howard Roffman, whose intelligence, critical acumen, and stalwart direction helped shape this story
A tremor took hold of the planet.
In the same way that the past was reconfigured by selective memory, future events, too, were moving targets.
In the same way that tectonic forces cause a boulder to plunge into a river, forever diverting its course, events give rise to individuals who, stepping into the current of the Force, alter the tide of history.
Are you evil, then, or are you simply stronger and more awake than others? Who gives more shape to sentient history: the good, who adhere to the tried and true, or those who seek to rouse beings from their stupor and lead them to glory?
Give order to the future by attending to it with your thoughts

Sith Darth Sidious: / More the main guy in book of / Darth Plagueis the Wise. (legallypuzzled)
"Always two there are" / Is Sith teaching, except when / The plot needs one more. (legallypuzzled)

Darth Plagueis, a Sith Lord who knows the Dark Side so well that he has power over life and death, joins forces with his apprentice, one-day emperor Darth Sidious, to try to dominate the whole galaxy.

98 wanted3 pay5 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,888,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible