Salvage the Bones: A Novel by Jesmyn Ward

Salvage the Bones: A Novel (2011)

by Jesmyn Ward

English (118)  Spanish (1)  All languages (119)
Salvage the Bones is about a family living in Mississippi in 2005 as Katrina is getting ready to hit. The focus is on Esch being pregnant, her brothers, dog fighting, her alcoholic that sometimes there father and the impending hurricane in the Gulf. The kids mother died giving birth to the youngest child and they have pretty much been left to fend for themselves making them a close knit family. I went in expecting the book to be more about the family preparing, fighting and surviving the hurricane and it isn’t, it was still a good read, but I was looking forward to that based on the description. Some scenes are hard to read, like puppies being born, dog fights, and detailed injuries. They are hard to read because they are well written to the point it makes you cringe. With that said, I did not like the dog fighting parts. There was some glamorizing of it and that annoyed me. I’m giving it three stars because it was an interesting read, but I think there was just too much going on to make it an emotional read. It was almost there, but not quite. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
A classic American novel. Move over Steinbeck and take a backseat Faulkner- Jesmyn Ward is writing for 21st century readers.
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
An excellent follow-up to Morrison's Home. After I finish a book by my all-time favorite author, I worry that no matter the quality of the writing in the next book it will pale in comparison. I won this signed copy of Salvage the Bones right after Ward won the NBA for fiction and have been saving it for a special time. Once I cracked open the spine of this book and read the first chapter, I knew that never before have I read a book like this and probably never will. Ward was able to access something divine and channel it perfectly into the fine form of a book. The story is of an African-American family living in Rural Mississippi whose home stands in the path of Hurricane Katrina. The tale is broken down into twelve days/chapters over which Ward spins a tale of such heartbreaking clarity and violence that I was absolutely lifted out of my being and brought to a whole 'nother realm of experience. So rarely does this transcendental rise occur in the life of a reader but yet it is the moment we all yearn for and Miss Ward, it is pleasure to journey with you to a world of your creation. Please, everybody, read this book. ( )
  ambersnowpants | Aug 23, 2018 |
This was a tough book to read. There were a few times I considered putting it aside, but kept with it. Gritty, raw, and ultimately, powerful. The writing was very good---perhaps too good considering it was in the voice of a young girl with a hard life and a self-esteem problem. I didn't think that her erudite thinking could be sufficiently explained by a love of reading mythology. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
This is a great novel, the best I've read so far this year. I wasn't hooked immediately; the novel is told from Esch's point of view and it took me a while to settle into her voice. Once I did, though, it made for a really compelling read. The chapter that describes Hurricane Katrina is one of the finest pieces of writing I've read in some time; it's haunting, and lovely, and perfect. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |

Ward, Jesmynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boothe, CheriseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ratchford, PattiCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
See now that I, even I am he, and there is no god with me; I kill and I make alive, I wound and I heal, neither is there any can deliver out of my hand. -Deuteronomy 32:39

For though I'm small, I know many things, and my body is an endless eye through which, unfortunately, I see everything. -Gloria Fuertes, "Now"

We on our backs staring at the stars about, talking about what we going to be when we grow up, I said what you wanna be? She said, "Alive." -Outkast, "Da Art of Storytellin' (Part 1)," Aquemini
For my brother, Joshua Adam Dedeaux,

who leads while I follow.
China's turned on herself.
"To give life...is to know what's worth fighting for. And what's love."

Hardback

Enduring a hardscrabble existence as the children of alcoholic and absent parents, four siblings from a coastal Mississippi town prepare their meager stores for the arrival of Hurricane Katrina while struggling with such challenges as a teen pregnancy and a dying litter of prize pups.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jesmyn Ward's book Salvage the Bones was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,591,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible