Salvage the Bones: A Novel by Jesmyn Ward

Salvage the Bones: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Jesmyn Ward

Member:WarmCavesInTheWoods
Title:Salvage the Bones: A Novel
Authors:Jesmyn Ward
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 288 pages

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward (2011)

Wading Home: A Novel of New Orleans by Rosalyn Story (Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: Another look at continuing racism as exposed by Katrina and its aftermath.
    As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (LottaBerling)
    Men We Reaped: A Memoir by Jesmyn Ward (zapzap)

English (97)  Spanish (1)  English (98)
A moving and interesting story. I will be interested in reading this writer as she matures - I thought the writing had a lot of wonderful elements, but there were at least three similes per page which got very tiring, very quickly.

I think this would be a great book for middle schoolers to learn about katrina. And also similes. Although the teen pregnancy and dog fighting might keep it off many teacher's shelves ( )
  abbeyhar | Nov 8, 2016 |
This is a great novel, the best I've read so far this year. I wasn't hooked immediately; the novel is told from Esch's point of view and it took me a while to settle into her voice. Once I did, though, it made for a really compelling read. The chapter that describes Hurricane Katrina is one of the finest pieces of writing I've read in some time; it's haunting, and lovely, and perfect. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
This book was brutally honest, raw and emotional. Ward expertly created an atmosphere wherein I felt like I was literally in the backwoods of Mississippi with these characters. The characters were well drawn and three-dimensional from the start and although their circumstances were desperate, Ward created a story that did not elicit pity so much as empathy. This is not a trite, re-tread of the coming of age novel but is an elbow deep exploration into the lives of these characters over a twelve day period leading up to and after Hurricane Katrina. It is original and in many ways defies categorization but was a profound, moving read. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
Exceptionally well written! Instead of an author merely telling a story, this one uses prose as fabric...weaving and binding and building,..each word essential with nothing left to spare. A perfect study of the craft of story making! ( )
  pprocko115 | May 19, 2016 |
I can see why this book won the National Book Award, you could feel the depths of the poverty and the wrath of the storm. Although the Hurricane is only two chapters you could sense a storm brewing up to the point of the actual hurricane. The dog fight scenes are horrific and hard to understand how any honor can be found in this activity is beyond me and it is clear that it is done illegally. The storm is not the only force of destruction in this story but it is the force that allows for a chance of new beginnings. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
See now that I, even I am he, and there is no god with me; I kill and I make alive, I wound and I heal, neither is there any can deliver out of my hand. -Deuteronomy 32:39

For though I'm small, I know many things, and my body is an endless eye through which, unfortunately, I see everything. -Gloria Fuertes, "Now"

We on our backs staring at the stars about, talking about what we going to be when we grow up, I said what you wanna be? She said, "Alive." -Outkast, "Da Art of Storytellin' (Part 1)," Aquemini
For my brother, Joshua Adam Dedeaux,

who leads while I follow.
China's turned on herself.
"To give life...is to know what's worth fighting for. And what's love."

A hurricane is building over the Gulf of Mexico, threatening the coastal town of Bois Sauvage, Mississippi, and Esch's father is growing concerned. A hard drinker, largely absent, he doesn't show concern for much else. Esch and her three brothers are stocking food, but there isn't much to save. Lately, Esch can't keep down what food she gets; she's fourteen and pregnant. Her brother Skeetah is sneaking scraps for his prized pitbull's new litter, dying one by one in the dirt. Meanwhile, brothers Randall and Junior try to stake their claim in a family long on child's play and short on parenting.

As the twelve days that make up the novel's framework yield to their dramatic conclusion, this unforgettable family—motherless children sacrificing for one another as they can, protecting and nurturing where love is scarce—pulls itself up to face another day. A big-hearted novel about familial love and community against all odds, and a wrenching look at the lonesome, brutal, and restrictive realities of rural poverty, Salvage the Bones is muscled with poetry, revelatory, and real.

Enduring a hardscrabble existence as the children of alcoholic and absent parents, four siblings from a coastal Mississippi town prepare their meager stores for the arrival of Hurricane Katrina while struggling with such challenges as a teen pregnancy and a dying litter of prize pups.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,629,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible