There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by…

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Simms Taback (Author)

Member:samgreen013
Title:There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
Authors:Simms Taback (Author)
Info:Viking Books for Young Readers (1997), Edition: 1st, 36 pages
Collections:Traditional Literature, K-2nd Grade Readers
Tags:folktale, unrealistic, funny

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by Simms Taback (1997)

I really enjoyed reading this book as a child. I found It funny listening to all the animals that the old lady swallowed. I love reading this book to my students now because the rhyming of the story really engages my students and finds It catchy and exciting to read. ( )
  ekarcz1 | Sep 12, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book for a variety of reasons, but the first reason is because of the humor it contains with the old lady swallowing all these animals from small ones to huge ones. The second reason it uses rhyme and makes it more catchy to read, and I think because even I as an adult finds it catchy to read then so will a young child. Lastly, it gives knowledge about different types of animals and allows children to see and really put in perspective how crazy and funny this book really is.
  lendli2 | Sep 10, 2018 |
I love this book because not only of the significant amount of humor that is within the book, but rather, the rich history behind the book itself. "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly" is a captivating story that has been converted from an older folktale and song that is based off a fictional tale about an Old Lady who seems to swallow everything in sight. The story shows all of the things that she consumes through rich plot and intriguing illustrations. At the beginning of the story, the Old Lady swallows a fly; however, as the story progresses, she swallows larger objects that fill up her tummy. I love the silliness and humor that the book contains, and I think my future students will as well. Some may even know the old folktale behind the story too. ( )
  kes689 | Apr 12, 2018 |
I liked this book for three reasons. First, I really enjoyed the illustrations that went along with the book. Throughout the story this old lady swallows different bugs and animals. Along with the story you saw illustrations of these bugs and animals as they talked about them. When the old lady had swallowed a fly, a spider, and a bird, there was a cut out on her stomach and “inside her stomach” you can see all three of those things that were in her stomach. As the story goes on, and she swallows more animals her stomach gets larger, and they continue to show you all the bugs and animals “inside her stomach” that she has eaten. This made the story much more fun to read because you were able to see all of the previous things that she had swallowed. Another reason that I liked this book was the rhyming that occurred throughout the story. After the story says what the old lady swallowed, they end it with “Perhaps she’ll die”. On each of these pages there are other animals and bugs and next to them there are little sayings that end in something that rhymes with “die”. For example, after the old lady swallowed the fly a few of the rhyming things were, “I think I’ll cry”, “She gulped it out of the sky”, and “OH my!”. These are really funny to read as the story goes on and some of them talk about how they feel about her swallowing these things. My final reason why I liked this book was because of the way the book flows. There is a lot of repetition in the story, as more animals/bugs get added to the list of things that the old lady swallowed. In the story after the old lady swallows a dog the writer says “She swallowed the dog to catch the cat. She swallowed the cat to catch the bird. She swallowed the bird to catch the spider. She swallowed the spider to catch the fly. I don’t know why she swallowed the fly. Perhaps she’ll die.” In the beginning of the story this was very short because she had only swallowed one or two things. As the story goes on this gets longer.
At the end of the story it says that the moral is to “never swallow a horse”. This is because the old lady dies when she swallows the horse, but obviously no one can do this. This story goes along with the old folk song, but this adds illustrations to the story. I believe that the big idea of this story is just for children to enjoy the book, and get a little humor out of it. The illustrations make it easy and fun to picture the story, unlike the original old folk song. ( )
  samgreen013 | Feb 14, 2018 |
The character in this story continued to swallow things to catch what she had swallowed prior, until it killed her! ( )
  Rebecalynn | Jan 29, 2018 |

Modeled on the folk song: There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.

An old favorite as you've never seen it before!

Everyone knows the song about the old lady who swallowed a fly, a spider, a bird, and even worse, but who's ever seen what's going on inside the old lady's stomach? With this inventive die-cut artwork, Simms Tabak gives us a rollicking, eye-popping version of the well-loved poem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:05 -0400)

Presents the traditional version of a famous American folk poem first heard in the U.S. in the 1940's with illustrations on die-cut pages that reveal all that the old lady swallows.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,236,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible