There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by…

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly (original 1997; edition 1999)

by Simms Taback

Member:jourdan922
Title:There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
Authors:Simms Taback
Info:Scholastic (1999), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:old lady, animals, eating

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by Simms Taback (1997)

animals (85) bugs (28) Caldecott (65) Caldecott Honor (44) children (16) children's (30) children's literature (14) cumulative (12) fantasy (18) fiction (61) fly (34) folk songs (21) folklore (13) folktale (18) humor (54) insects (30) music (16) nursery rhymes (14) old lady (43) picture (12) picture book (125) poetry (39) repetition (52) rhyme (35) rhymes (17) rhyming (75) sequence (12) silly (25) song (47) songs (33)

Great book!
  BrianEJanssen | Apr 30, 2014 |
This book is so silly and entertaining! I read this book with one of my first grade students and she was giggling and smiling the entire time. The story is about an old lady who "swallows" different animals and progressively gets bigger and bigger as the story goes on. The illustrations are extremely detailed and full of funny details that make you excited to turn the next page and see how much bigger the old lady is after she eats the next animal. The text is not traditionally printed but is actually handwritten and colored in the patterns that match the old lady's dress patchwork which makes it creative and engaging. It can also be read as a song if you feel comfortable singing! There is not a message in this story, but is just an entertaining read for your students! ( )
  jjones58 | Apr 10, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book for a couple of reasons. I read this book when I was little and loved the song that goes with it! The language is patterned throughout the story because it comes with a song that you can have the children sing as you read along. The plot makes this story extremely interesting because of what the old lady eats. She doesn’t eat normal animals, especially when she swallowed the fly. After the author tells us what the old lady ate, it says, “I don’t know why she swallowed a fly, Perhaps she’ll die.” The old lady then later swallows a spider and a bird which makes this story silly and fun for children to read. The illustrations are bright, patterned, and have animals responding to the old lady swallowing a fly. For example, the bird says that it’s only a fly, the cow states that he think he will cry, the cat says the old lady gulped it out of the sky, and the dog cries oh my! The big idea of this story is for children to get a good laugh at this story and broaden their imagination. The song that goes along also helps the children to engage even deeper into the story! ( )
  kbrehm1 | Apr 4, 2014 |
Mia loved this one. Strange but fun. ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
I really liked this book for younger children for the fact that it's catchy and it is a good way to get kids to repeat parts from memory. The chain of events is fun and the illustrations are vivid and give hints as to what is coming next. There is also an underlying tone of humor that I think is a great element when reading a story to young children. Seeing as the scheme of this book seems to be to show children rhyming, I'm not sure if there is a definitive big picture, other than the fact that if you continuously eat large objects, you will eventually die.
  dcully1 | Mar 5, 2014 |

There was a cold lady who swallowed many different things, one after the other, but what happens after she swallows snow? Modeled on the folk song: There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.

An old favorite as you've never seen it before!

Everyone knows the song about the old lady who swallowed a fly, a spider, a bird, and even worse, but who's ever seen what's going on inside the old lady's stomach? With this inventive die-cut artwork, Simms Tabak gives us a rollicking, eye-popping version of the well-loved poem.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:28 -0400)

Presents the traditional version of a famous American folk poem first heard in the U.S. in the 1940's with illustrations on die-cut pages that reveal all that the old lady swallows.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,246,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible