There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by…

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly (original 1997; edition 1999)

by Simms Taback

Member:jourdan922
Title:There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
Authors:Simms Taback
Info:Scholastic (1999), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:old lady, animals, eating

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by Simms Taback (1997)

A great children's book ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
I'm not sure why there are so many of these stories.  I found this one, by Simms Taback, in a thrift store and picked it up because it had the Caldecott Honor sticker on it.  It still doesn't do much for me.  I do like the page showing all the actual birds, kind of a quick 'guide to your backyard birds.'  There are similar pages for other critters but they don't appeal to me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book is fine. I remember reading it as a child and thinking it was a lot better than I did reading it as an adult. On a positive note, the illustrations and pictures are very vivid in color and interesting to look at while reading. Definitely a positive, especially for children. Specifically, pages 5-6, I like how the pages include cut outs that a reader can flip through. Definitely adds interest and is appropriate to the *intended* mood of the story! On another note, I did not like Tabacks uses the word "die" as the repetitive word and to produce rhyming words/ a poetic sound. Specifically, on every other page, Taback states, "Perhaps she'll die". This may just be me, but I don't think it's all that appropriate to be reading a book to students that repeats this line over and over- for it may pose some issues. Positively, the illustrations are fun and colorful and lighten up the story and help to overlook the use of the word "die" that appears on every other page. The main idea/ message of the story I think could be to think before you act, because bad things could come of a bad decision. ( )
  hfetty1 | Apr 11, 2016 |
This book is a great book to teach math such as adding the animals the old lady ate or learning about the proportions of the animals. The best ages would be 5-7, pre-k to first grade. A child can pick this book up on their own but it would be a great read aloud because there children can see the animals and what the old lady ate.
  jrudnick | Mar 28, 2016 |
This story is a comical tale of a lady who ate everything in sight. It would appeal to children from grades k-4. This book could be used a tool to investigate food chains. The teacher could plan a lesson around where humans sit on the food chain as well as each animal in the story. As well the teacher cause base a lesson about the importance of health and nutrition. Focusing on gluttony and the importance of moderation in all the we eat, the teacher could discuss with students what they perceive as a healthy diet and then incorporate scientific evidence as to what is/isn't healthy. Students could create their own story books showing foods that they eat on a daily basis, presented as a short story as has been done in this story. ( )
  Isaacwinton | Mar 15, 2016 |

There was a cold lady who swallowed many different things, one after the other, but what happens after she swallows snow? Modeled on the folk song: There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.

An old favorite as you've never seen it before!

Everyone knows the song about the old lady who swallowed a fly, a spider, a bird, and even worse, but who's ever seen what's going on inside the old lady's stomach? With this inventive die-cut artwork, Simms Tabak gives us a rollicking, eye-popping version of the well-loved poem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:05 -0400)

Presents the traditional version of a famous American folk poem first heard in the U.S. in the 1940's with illustrations on die-cut pages that reveal all that the old lady swallows.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,366,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible