There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by…

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly (original 1997; edition 1999)

by Simms Taback

Member:jourdan922
Title:There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
Authors:Simms Taback
Info:Scholastic (1999), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:old lady, animals, eating

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by Simms Taback (1997)

This book is fine. I remember reading it as a child and thinking it was a lot better than I did reading it as an adult. On a positive note, the illustrations and pictures are very vivid in color and interesting to look at while reading. Definitely a positive, especially for children. Specifically, pages 5-6, I like how the pages include cut outs that a reader can flip through. Definitely adds interest and is appropriate to the *intended* mood of the story! On another note, I did not like Tabacks uses the word "die" as the repetitive word and to produce rhyming words/ a poetic sound. Specifically, on every other page, Taback states, "Perhaps she'll die". This may just be me, but I don't think it's all that appropriate to be reading a book to students that repeats this line over and over- for it may pose some issues. Positively, the illustrations are fun and colorful and lighten up the story and help to overlook the use of the word "die" that appears on every other page. The main idea/ message of the story I think could be to think before you act, because bad things could come of a bad decision. ( )
  hfetty1 | Apr 11, 2016 |
This book is a great book to teach math such as adding the animals the old lady ate or learning about the proportions of the animals. The best ages would be 5-7, pre-k to first grade. A child can pick this book up on their own but it would be a great read aloud because there children can see the animals and what the old lady ate.
  jrudnick | Mar 28, 2016 |
This story is a comical tale of a lady who ate everything in sight. It would appeal to children from grades k-4. This book could be used a tool to investigate food chains. The teacher could plan a lesson around where humans sit on the food chain as well as each animal in the story. As well the teacher cause base a lesson about the importance of health and nutrition. Focusing on gluttony and the importance of moderation in all the we eat, the teacher could discuss with students what they perceive as a healthy diet and then incorporate scientific evidence as to what is/isn't healthy. Students could create their own story books showing foods that they eat on a daily basis, presented as a short story as has been done in this story. ( )
  Isaacwinton | Mar 15, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. I liked this book because of the language used and because the story is fun and silly. The author chooses only words and lines that rhyme and flow together, which makes it sound sing-song like. This can be fun to read in the classroom, because it can be made into a musical activity. I also liked that this story is silly because it makes it fun to read. The story involves an old lady who swallowed a fly and then continuously began swallowing bigger animals in an attempt to undo it. Clearly, this is not a realistic scenario, but it is fun and different to read about, especially for young children. There really is no overarching idea in this story, I think that it was written for entertainment purposes only. ( )
  maddieburchell | Feb 21, 2016 |
I like this book because it is a fun read aloud for students. It also is good for teaching students how to sequence events since she swallows one thing before this. It shows students than poetry can be fun.
  whitneyosborne | Feb 15, 2016 |

There was a cold lady who swallowed many different things, one after the other, but what happens after she swallows snow? Modeled on the folk song: There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.

An old favorite as you've never seen it before!

Everyone knows the song about the old lady who swallowed a fly, a spider, a bird, and even worse, but who's ever seen what's going on inside the old lady's stomach? With this inventive die-cut artwork, Simms Tabak gives us a rollicking, eye-popping version of the well-loved poem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:05 -0400)

Presents the traditional version of a famous American folk poem first heard in the U.S. in the 1940's with illustrations on die-cut pages that reveal all that the old lady swallows.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,847,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible