Enshadowed: A Nevermore Book by Kelly Creagh

Enshadowed: A Nevermore Book

by Kelly Creagh

really 3.5

Okay, so I think we should have had more from Varen's POV, why? so that we know the trauma and mental instability that is thrown at him on a daily basis so that we understand why he did what he did.. I'm not saying what that was, no spoiler here...

This book was all about Isobel and Gwen and finding out more about Reynolds and what/who he is, and Varen's place in that world...I ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
[Sunday, ‎January ‎5, ‎2014] Isobel, haunted by the memory of Varen, goes to Baltimore where she confronts the dark figure known as the Poe Toaster, succeeds in interrupting his ritual, and discovers a way to return to the dreamworld, where she must face a new adversary.
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I was so pumped to get this book, I almost wept when I got it in the mail. I (and I know all of you) have been waiting and eternity to get it. Well, I have bad news for you...this was not the book I was expecting. First let me preface this review by saying: A) I LOVED LOVED LOVED Nevermore. I carried it around with me for an entire day until I had consumed it all. B) I adore Kelly Creagh, she is one of the sweetest, nicest people I have had the opportunity to meet.

Those things being said...this book didn't hit the mark. It was...ok...it was one of those books that seems like it is there to fill space while the next book is being written. The plot is slow and somewhat clumbsy...the entire first half of the book is Izzy whining and moping, and being misunderstood by her parents. The second half of the book seemed like a jumble of plot points that I couldn't string together in my head to make a decent ending. There was hardly any Varen in the story and when we did see him, he wasn't himself. There is more of Izzy's dad in this story that Varen, which just seemed wrong to me.

The writing of this book is beautiful, it's haunting and poetic. The imagery is amazing and stands out to me even now I as I write this review. I wish that the plot had lived up the writing. I put the sort of poetic feel of the way the writing is to how Maggie Stiefvater writes...just was missing the kick-ass hardcore go getting plot behind the words.

I will of course read the next book because I was so in love with the first book I can't help it. Also this book has a cliffhanger...teehee...I made a pun *you will get it when you read the book*. As usual that annoyed me but...means maybe the next book will live up to what I have bee waiting for. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales (http://darkfaerietales.com/)

Quick & Dirty: This novel does suffer a bit from the slower pacing in the beginning but it is still a deeply imaginative world.

Opening Sentence: “Edgar?”

The Review:

Enshadowed is the sequel to the young adult horror/paranormal Nevermore by Kelly Creagh. A series that really highlights the work of Edgar Allen Poe in a dreamworld. I would highly recommend that you read Nevermore before delving into Enshadowed. The second novel really builds off of the events in the first. I was eagerly anticipating reading this novel after the ending of Nevermore and if you’ve read that book you know what I’m talking about. Do not read anymore if you don’t want the events of book one spoiled for you.

Two months have passed since that eventful Halloween when Isobel learned that Varen had been left in the dreamworld. Life has gone on for Isobel. She has pretended that the events didn’t affect her too much but she still doesn’t really hang out with her old friends and she isn’t really allowed to talk to Gwen. Gwen is Isobel’s one friend who kind of has an idea of the “weirdness” that is going on with Varen and is the one person that Isobel can confide in.

Isobel needs to get to Baltimore. She must meet with the “Poe Toaster” aka Reynolds. He is her only way towards finding Varen again. If she can confront him then she will be able to attempt to rescue Varen from his dreamworld and Lilith.

I compared a portion of Nevermore to the movie Labyrinth, and I felt another movie comparison withEnshadowed. I got a huge Nightmare on Elm Street vibe because Isobel had a hard time deciphering if she was awake or dreaming. She didn’t really have a Freddy unless you want to compare Pinfeathers to Freddy and I guess in a way you can. He has really sharp nails and a scarred hole in the side of his face.

Enshadowed does have a slow pace to it until Isobel gets to Baltimore. A few things happen but for the most part she is moping about seeing Varen again. Even though it started slow I couldn’t wait until she got to Baltimore so that kept me hooked. And aside from the prologue, the entire novel is told through Isobel’s third person view. My only real disappointment was how little Varen actually showed up in the book. I was really hoping for more. The ending isn’t quite a cliffhanger per se but if I had to wait three years before the sequel, I would go crazy. Thankfully I don’t have to do that.

I am a little crazy so I don’t mind a little moping over a character but I will say I can tell that many people may not like Isobel or Varen because Isobel is too mopey over Varen. Also, that she is willing to ruin her life for a dude. Her relationship with her parents is strained and she no longer associates with her old friends. Yeah, Varen might not be worth it but it doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be saved.

Overall, the slower pacing didn’t take away from my enjoyment at all. I would still recommend this series for those who want something a little different. The ending had me screaming for the next one. I can’t wait to devour Oblivion.

Notable Scene:

“Gwen. I’m . . . I’m really scared.”

“Finally,” Gwen said without missing a beat, even though her fingers trembled while she tried to tear open the plastic packet of salad dressing. “Your first healthy reaction.”

“Things are different,” Isobel said. “They’re changing. I mean . . . they’ve changed,” she corrected.

“How about your mind?” Gwen glanced up, feigning hopefulness. “Tell me that’s changed.”

“No,” Isobel said. “I . . . I know what I have to do. I just . . . Gwen? I . . . I need you to do me a favor.”

“Should I just put that on your tab?”

Isobel ignored the joke. “If . . . if I don’t come back from this—“

Gwen dropped her fork onto her tray, her hands snapping into a referee’s time-out gesture. “This conversation is not going to happen.”

“Please,” Isobel said. “It’s important.”

“Listen.” Gwen propped her elbow on the table and aimed a finger in Isobel’s face. “Say what you gotta say, get it out of our system, and then keep it zipped about the not-coming-back crap,” she said. “This is the first and the last ‘if I should die before I wake’ spiel you get. Got it?”

“It’s not a spiel,” Isobel said, “it’s just, I need to know if you’ll do something for me.”

FTC Advisory: I purchased my own copy of Enshadowed. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Aug 26, 2015 |
What just happened? I read this book from cover to cover (I even had to go back and reread a section or two), but I still have no idea what actually happened. No mysteries were solved, no real information was revealed, and Isobel did the things that make me furious in a YA Paranormal Romance: She started making really dumb decisions, alienated her friends and family in order to be with a boy, and lost interest in every other aspect of her life besides Varen. While Creagh did a good job of bringing supporting characters like Gwen and Danny to life, the plot and central romance of Enshadowed left me cold. I'll still read the conclusion when it comes out later in 2015, but I was disappointed with this volume. ( )
  MadameWho | Jan 10, 2015 |

Isobel, haunted by the memory of Varen, goes to Baltimore where she confront the dark figure known as the Poe Toaster, succeeds in interrupting his ritual, and discovers a way to return to the dream-world, where she must face a new adversary.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,757,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible