The Midnight Falcon by David Gemmell

The Midnight Falcon (original 1999; edition 2000)

by David Gemmell

Member:BensDad
Title:The Midnight Falcon
Authors:David Gemmell
Info:Corgi Adult (2000), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 543 pages
Collections:Author - David Gemmell, Genre - Fantasy, Your library
Tags:Rigante, Historic Parallels in Fantasy, Heroic Fiction

Midnight Falcon by David Gemmell (1999)

I live the rigante series. I don't like how thisboojs skips so far into the future. It is almost unrelated to the first book in the series. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
The second book in the Rigante series continues the epic tale of the Keltoi and the coming of the Stone Empire and sparkles like I knew it would. I tried to resist reading this for a while to give other books on my TBR shelf some attention but the spine-tingling end to the previous volume, Sword in the Storm, made it a temptation I could not resist for too long.

I expected this book to pick up where Sword in the Storm left off – those last few pages were packed with foreboding. Surely, I thought, what happened next would be pivotal and consequential enough to fill several volumes of sequels.

But, effortlessly, Gemmell packaged the happenings immediately after Connovar's ascension to King into a haunting backstory, with spirits locked in eternal battle and Connovar having grown to become an embittered, battle-hardened old man. So instead we follow Connovar's bastard son, Bane, a young man born to a family and into a world where he was never going to be accepted and in his own way as complex a character as his father. Bane's journey echoes that of his father as he comes to terms with his place in life, while the armies of Stone once again turn their attentions on the Rigante lands.

I think the next volume will be bubbling to the top of my TBR shelf.

www.gordopolis.com/writing ( )
  Gordopolis | Sep 5, 2011 |
When I first started reading this novel I was disappointed that it wasn't a direct follow-up to the first book of the series...I was expecting another novel based around Connavar but instead it is about the life of his bastard son Bane. However, once I had gotten over my initial disappointment I was treated to what has become one of my favorite novels of all time. The characterization is wonderful with the hero being all too human and suffering the consequences of his poor actions. The storytelling is paced perfectly and not once did I find myself bored or skipping paragraphs. Loved it. ( )
  BookMarcBlogpants | Oct 27, 2010 |
David Gemmell is back in form in this sequel to a seemingly disjointed "Sword in the Storm". And while it hits on all cylinders, a minor quibble is that the actual structure of the book seems haphazard. Chapter breaks almost seem random, and the breaks within the chapters are sometimes missing when changing character perspectives. This did not affect my rating. ( )
  Qorvus | Jan 31, 2009 |
Interesting story about home we can grow up in opposition to our family. Quite liked how far the book spanned and the main character Bane once he had learned a little about life. ( )
  kale.dyer | Dec 19, 2008 |

David Gemmellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolton, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parax the Hunter had always despised vanity in others, but he knew now just how stealthily it could creep up on a man.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345432363, Mass Market Paperback)

Following Sword in the Storm, Midnight Falcon is David Gemmell's second novel in the Rigante sequence. This volume can stand alone, though the series will be more accessible if read in order.

Seventeen-year-old Bane, illegitimate son of King Connovar, comes to the city of Stone, a place of gladiatorial combat, corruption, and religious terror. Embittered by his father's refusal to acknowledge him, Bane's wildness leads to bloodshed before friendship and betrayal force him to accept the complexities of power and responsibility. The novel builds to an epic climax, as Bane must accept who he is in order to lead his people in a desperate battle for their very survival.

David Gemmell has created a detailed and realistic world in which the action is vividly described and often thrilling. Yet there is a melancholy tone, for the author is as concerned with the consequences of war and the nature of men of violence as he is with conflict itself. There is a sense of the tragedy of war, lending the sad grandeur of history to a strongly characterized and intelligent adventure. It is something the series has in common with Stephen King's haunting fantasy western epic The Dark Tower. --Gary S. Dalkin, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:47 -0400)

Bane, the illigitimate son of the Rigante king, finds himself fighting as a gladiator while he dreams of vengence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible