The Statistical Probability of Love at First…

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

by Jennifer E. Smith

English (125)  Spanish (1)  All languages (126)
Alright, so I had this one on my to-read shelf for quite awhile, but I wasn't interested enough to buy it. Along comes Netgalley, offering me a free copy as a promotion for Jennifer E. Smith's next book... and I'm kind of glad I didn't buy it.

Hadley is headed to London for her father's second marriage - to a woman she's never met, no less. She's not looking forward to it and wouldn't even have gone if her mother hadn't insisted that she'd regret it if she didn't. So she packs up, arrives at the airport, goes through security, and misses her plane. By four minutes. Her dreaded "vacation" just got even worse. The airline is nice and cooperative, though, and puts her on the next flight to London, leaving three hours later. The problem? Apparently Hadley has given herself the absolute minimum amount of time possible between landing at Heathrow, getting ready at the hotel, and getting to the wedding. This new flight, three hours later, will barely get her to the church on time, even if she doesn't stop to get ready. So, alright, I get it. She doesn't want to go to the wedding. But she's going, so why make it so stressful and hard on herself? I don't know about you, but maybe one or two flights I've ever been on have left on time. Most have been delayed a least a little, and some have been delayed several hours. One was delayed a whole day, but that's another story. What I'm getting at is that if you have a huge occasion that you need to be present for, why are you leaving so much to chance? Yes, this book is about fate. But this is just unrealistic.

Anyway, while waiting in the crowed airport terminal, she attempts to get a nearby woman to watch her suitcase. This, as we all know, is completely against the airport rules, though typically people don't think too much of it. The woman declines, a cute British guy nearby offers to watch it, and Hadley says no thanks. She'll just take her suitcase with her. Well, much to her dismay, the cute British guy follows her around until she realizes that he's a cute British guy, and then they hit it off. His name is Oliver. He's headed to London too. They'll be sitting in the same row. Hadley and Oliver become fast friends. Some might say that they fall in love, given the name of the book, but I would beg to differ. They're attracted to and intrigued by each other. It's as simple as that.

Overall, it's a cute premise. I'm a sucker for cute British boys and whirlwind romances, so I should have been all over this one. But I really wasn't. It's hard to say what it was that I disliked.

I mean, the third person narration was a little off-putting. In a story like this, where so much is focused on the character's feelings and so little is focused on what's happening around them, third person narration seems a little silly. With first person narration, I might have felt a little more connected to Hadley.

I actually didn't feel connected to any of the characters. Hadley frustrated me and came across as a spoiled brat. She couldn't just let her dad be happy, even if she disapproved of the marriage. Also, crashing Oliver's dad's funeral? Totally inappropriate. Oliver was cute, but I couldn't help but feel like he was trying too hard to force a connection, and I didn't like how he dodged so many of Hadley's questions about his life. I couldn't get over the fact that I was supposed to feel sorry for Hadley's dad because he left his wife and child for a younger woman. Obviously they're going to have some issues with that, and asking them to happily accept your new life is going a little far. And Hadley's mom - setting such a horrible example of how to act when you're in a relationship!

The ending felt very rushed after so much time was spent on every detail of every conversation Hadley and Oliver had in the airport, on the plane, etc. The idea that Hadley could go from throwing a tantrum about having to meet her new stepmother one day, and the next day she's happily making plans to stay with her over the summer is insanely unrealistic. When you consider that the entirety of the book takes place over a day, everything feels rushed.

All in all, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight was just kind of... there. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. I was really kind of indifferent to it.

Final rating: 2.5/5, rounded up to 3.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the free copy. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
Sweet story - quick read. ( )
  zuzamiller | Feb 3, 2016 |
Sweet story - quick read. ( )
  zuzamiller | Feb 3, 2016 |

This book was recommended for the rabid fans of Stephanie Perkins. I am absolutely one of those people, but this book didn't suck me in like Anna and The French Kiss or Lola and The Boy Next Door. It was definitely a cute story but it just didnt have the same sparkle as Stephanie Perkins. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
Super cute story guys. It satisfied my hunger for a sappy insta-love story of the moment.
Hadley Sullivan would seem to be having the worst morning ever. She's supposed to go to her Dad's wedding in London and she missed her flight, to everyone's surprise on accident. All things considered it was pure good luck that she met Oliver a cute British guy that happens to be sitting in her row. Cute conversations ensue and serendipities galore.
It's not super deep or swoony but I did enjoy the tragic part of it all. The magic would have to be lost once they landed but does it? Why would Oliver tell Hadley so much yet so little at the same time? Should Hadley just leave this one time meeting behind her and focus on her father's wedding? The summary on the back of the book already tells you much of the outcome but actually reading it you'll find yourself smirking at the cutesy bits. ( )
  Jessika.C | Jan 26, 2016 |
"And o there are days in this life, worth life and worth death." ~ Charles Dickens, Our Mutal Friend
Prologue: There are so many ways it could have all turned out differently.
Chapter 1: Airports are torture chambers if you're claustrophobic.

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Hadley and Oliver fall in love on the flight from New York to London, but after a cinematic kiss they lose track of each other at the airport until fate brings them back together on a very momentous day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,258,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible