The Statistical Probability of Love at First…

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

by Jennifer E. Smith

English (130)  Spanish (1)  English (131)
Sweet and heartwarming

While several of the twists were very predictable, the story is still fresh and enjoyable. Hadley and Oliver are a fine pair of protagonists, with a marvelous chemistry. The story of their meeting and falling in love is touching. The way they are helping each other to heal old family wounds while tentatively exploring their feelings for each other, both hoping against hope that there is more there than a single flight from NY to London with some snappy repartee and shy glances, is believable and wonderful. ( )
  Zensunni42 | Nov 15, 2016 |
Full review at:

Hadley is having a pretty bad day. Every little thing that can happen happens which cause the perfect storm of a series of unfortunate events that lead her to miss her plane by four minutes. It's not like she was super pumped to get on the plane in the first place, though. She is supposed to be on her way to London to be a bridesmaid in her dad's wedding to a lady she has never met, a lady who he left her mom for, and more importantly a lady who he left her for. She is going on this trip against her will, because both of her parents think it is for the best. Unfortunately she missed her plane and now she is stuck in the airport for three hours until she can catch the next flight to London. While in the airport, she meets Oliver. Oliver is a sweet British guy who offer to watch her bag for her and eats dinner with her since they are both stuck in the airport. As fate would have it, Oliver and Hadley also are sitting a seat away from each other on the plane. When a sweet old lady gives up her seat so Oliver can sit next to Hadley, they spend the next seven hours chatting and getting to know each other. Things feel perfect until the plane lands in London and their little fairy tale is over. They get separated in customs and end up not seeing each other again. The rest of the book follows Hadley as she deals with her dad's wedding, learns a lot about love and herself, and does a lot of growing up in a very short time.

The book itself takes place over the course of 24 hours. Since the book is on a timeline, I found myself really stressing out when things would happen and hours would tick by. It gave a really unique angle for the story and it made me feel like I was right there with Hadley dealing with the longest, best/worst day of her life. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It's sweet and cute and a very easy read. If you have ever watched any Rom-Com ever then you can predict where everything is going to go, but it was enjoyable regardless. I have been really digging contemporary YA romance lately, so this fell perfectly into that category. Not life changing, but definitely a great fluffy read. If you're looking for a good beach or pool read, this will keep you occupied for an afternoon and you will get out of it exactly what you think you will.

What really pushed me to finally read this book was when I found out that Hailee Steinfeld and Robert Sheehan have been cast as Hadley and Oliver. Going into the book with those two in my head was PERFECT. The casting is spot on, and I am absolutely ecstatic to see how this goes from page to screen next year. The things that Oliver says made me absolutely swoon, and when you put Robert Sheehan's face with those beautiful words..... All I can say is: Panty dropper. Hailee Steinfeld is going to be so funny and quirky as Hadley. I think she will really bring the character to life and be able to show all of the moments that can only be described as being a seventeen year old girl. So even if contemporary YA isn't your thing, I would still encourage you to read this if only to see how it is in the book before it becomes a movie (it's always way more fun than way!). ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
I stumbled upon this book by accident. I was looking for a light young adult book to read - something different than my usual fantasy, scifi or dystopian reads - and this was one of the books that popped up on my searches. I thought it looked like what I was looking for so I would give it a go. I was not disappointed!

At first glance this seems to be a young adult romance story. Something light and fun to zip through quickly. But it didn't take more than a few pages for me to realize that this book was much more than that. While there is a romantic storyline, Smith is dealing with much deeper issues in this novel: death, divorce, parents, life changes and the pain of moving on.

I highly recommend this to any teen, particularly those in their senior years at high school. This is an amazingly well written coming of age story. A cross between Laurie Halse Anderson and John Green, Jennifer E. Smith is a talented writer. The characters and the storyline are anything but predictable and will keep you turning the pages! ( )
  cathishaw | Oct 27, 2016 |
Read this because my younger sister left it behind, and I liked the title enough to pick it up. (Although I would say it should be "Improbability" rather than "Probability.") For a YA book it's not terrible, I guess the cheesiness and improbability are pretty much par for the course. And it's sweet, and I think has good messages about being open to liking stepparents and talking to your parents when you're upset with them. All in all probably above average for its genre, hence the four stars. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Alright, so I had this one on my to-read shelf for quite awhile, but I wasn't interested enough to buy it. Along comes Netgalley, offering me a free copy as a promotion for Jennifer E. Smith's next book... and I'm kind of glad I didn't buy it.

Hadley is headed to London for her father's second marriage - to a woman she's never met, no less. She's not looking forward to it and wouldn't even have gone if her mother hadn't insisted that she'd regret it if she didn't. So she packs up, arrives at the airport, goes through security, and misses her plane. By four minutes. Her dreaded "vacation" just got even worse. The airline is nice and cooperative, though, and puts her on the next flight to London, leaving three hours later. The problem? Apparently Hadley has given herself the absolute minimum amount of time possible between landing at Heathrow, getting ready at the hotel, and getting to the wedding. This new flight, three hours later, will barely get her to the church on time, even if she doesn't stop to get ready. So, alright, I get it. She doesn't want to go to the wedding. But she's going, so why make it so stressful and hard on herself? I don't know about you, but maybe one or two flights I've ever been on have left on time. Most have been delayed a least a little, and some have been delayed several hours. One was delayed a whole day, but that's another story. What I'm getting at is that if you have a huge occasion that you need to be present for, why are you leaving so much to chance? Yes, this book is about fate. But this is just unrealistic.

Anyway, while waiting in the crowed airport terminal, she attempts to get a nearby woman to watch her suitcase. This, as we all know, is completely against the airport rules, though typically people don't think too much of it. The woman declines, a cute British guy nearby offers to watch it, and Hadley says no thanks. She'll just take her suitcase with her. Well, much to her dismay, the cute British guy follows her around until she realizes that he's a cute British guy, and then they hit it off. His name is Oliver. He's headed to London too. They'll be sitting in the same row. Hadley and Oliver become fast friends. Some might say that they fall in love, given the name of the book, but I would beg to differ. They're attracted to and intrigued by each other. It's as simple as that.

Overall, it's a cute premise. I'm a sucker for cute British boys and whirlwind romances, so I should have been all over this one. But I really wasn't. It's hard to say what it was that I disliked.

I mean, the third person narration was a little off-putting. In a story like this, where so much is focused on the character's feelings and so little is focused on what's happening around them, third person narration seems a little silly. With first person narration, I might have felt a little more connected to Hadley.

I actually didn't feel connected to any of the characters. Hadley frustrated me and came across as a spoiled brat. She couldn't just let her dad be happy, even if she disapproved of the marriage. Also, crashing Oliver's dad's funeral? Totally inappropriate. Oliver was cute, but I couldn't help but feel like he was trying too hard to force a connection, and I didn't like how he dodged so many of Hadley's questions about his life. I couldn't get over the fact that I was supposed to feel sorry for Hadley's dad because he left his wife and child for a younger woman. Obviously they're going to have some issues with that, and asking them to happily accept your new life is going a little far. And Hadley's mom - setting such a horrible example of how to act when you're in a relationship!

The ending felt very rushed after so much time was spent on every detail of every conversation Hadley and Oliver had in the airport, on the plane, etc. The idea that Hadley could go from throwing a tantrum about having to meet her new stepmother one day, and the next day she's happily making plans to stay with her over the summer is insanely unrealistic. When you consider that the entirety of the book takes place over a day, everything feels rushed.

All in all, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight was just kind of... there. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. I was really kind of indifferent to it.

Final rating: 2.5/5, rounded up to 3.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the free copy. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
"And o there are days in this life, worth life and worth death." ~ Charles Dickens, Our Mutal Friend
Prologue: There are so many ways it could have all turned out differently.
Chapter 1: Airports are torture chambers if you're claustrophobic.

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Hadley and Oliver fall in love on the flight from New York to London, but after a cinematic kiss they lose track of each other at the airport until fate brings them back together on a very momentous day.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,680,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible