The Statistical Probability of Love at First…

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

by Jennifer E. Smith

English (109)  Spanish (1)  All languages (110)
Full post on One Less Lonely Blog

The ending is predictable since the tittle of the book. I thought this book was going to be romantic, it is, but it focus more on Hadley and her trying to fix her relationship with her father, realizing that other people has bigger problems than hers. The romantic part of the book is secondary and too much perfect. There are cliches and things that are too obvious. The book is fast paced, everything happens in 1 day, that you don’t have time to realize whats happening or to at least fall in love with the characters.

melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
Hadley is a 17-year-old flying to England for her dad's wedding. When she misses her flight by only four minutes she finds herself unexpectedly befriended by a British boy named Oliver. I was expecting a sweet teen romance when I picked this one up. And while it certainly contains that as well, the depth of the novel comes from the main character’s strained relationship with her father. Hadley and Oliver’s interactions are cute and relatively believable, but honestly I wouldn’t have enjoyed this one as much if that’s all there had been.
Hadley's dad left their home in the states to teach for a semester at Oxford. While there he fell in love with someone else and decided to get a divorce. Hadley’s hurt and anger at this betrayal is all too familiar for many kids. As she heads towards London for his wedding all of those emotions come roaring back to her.

There’s one section that talks about how quickly the time can get away from you when you’re holding a grudge. It rang so true to me. You can avoid or ignore someone who has hurt you and before you know it the years have slipped by and you’ve missed out on everything in that person’s life.

“Never has any period of time seemed so unending. And though she knows it’s nothing but a collection of minutes, all of them strung together like popcorn on a tree, she can see now how easily they become hours, how quickly the months might have turned to years in just the same way, how close she’d come to losing something so important to the unrelenting movement of time.”

I’ve never had to deal with a parent who cheated, but I let hurt and resentment widen the gap between me and my own father for far too long. Even when it feels like the distance has grown too far, there’s always a way back to your loved ones if you’re willing to make the effort.

BOTTOM LINE: A story about loving your family despite their mistakes. The romance is cute, but the heartbeat comes from the honest tone of Hadley’s relationship with her dad.

"In the end, it's not the changes that will break your heart; it's that tug of familiarity." ( )
  bookworm12 | Feb 12, 2015 |
I will admit to being a big fan of chick lit. I love meet-cutes that only happen in books and movies, and relationships that are improbable in real life. I loved the idea of this book, because I wanted the same thing to happen to when I flew to London to study abroad.

The book is about a 17-year-old named Hadley who meets a ridiculously adorable British guy at the airport on her way to her father's wedding in London. Of course, he ends up in her row, and they talk and laugh through the entire flight. I get it. And I love this kind of twisted perfection that only a book can make seem plausible. But it was all too predictable for me. Of course, the title of the book should have hinted to the ending, but I guess I wanted something different from this book. I wanted more complex characters and more suspense. I wanted to believe that with a title like this, the statistical probability would lead to the rule, rather than an exception of it.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed reading this book. I finished it within a few hours. I also forgot about it within a few hours. It didn't have the lasting effect I love so much about books. So if you want to swoon and be completely jealous of Hadley, read this book. You WILL enjoy it. If you're looking for something deeper, put this aside for another day. ( )
  CarleyShea | Feb 5, 2015 |
Beautifully written fluff. Makes you want to believe in true love and fate and all of those lovely things. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
Honestly, for a book that was supposed to be about a love story (or at least a book that I’d expected to be that way), the love story didn’t feel like the main item of the plot, which was focused more on the relationship about Hadley and her family rather than on her interactions with Oliver. I wouldn’t have minded that if the love story was more developed, and I do realize this was probably the intent of the author - to just show the possible beginning of a relationship rather than jumping completely into it - but still, I was left wanting more and felt that this was just the first half of what could have been a more developed book. ( )
  kairih | Aug 30, 2014 |
"And o there are days in this life, worth life and worth death." ~ Charles Dickens, Our Mutal Friend
Prologue: There are so many ways it could have all turned out differently.
Chapter 1: Airports are torture chambers if you're claustrophobic.

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Hadley and Oliver fall in love on the flight from New York to London, but after a cinematic kiss they lose track of each other at the airport until fate brings them back together on a very momentous day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,817,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible