The Statistical Probability of Love at First…

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

by Jennifer E. Smith

English (106)  Spanish (1)  All languages (107)
Honestly, for a book that was supposed to be about a love story (or at least a book that I’d expected to be that way), the love story didn’t feel like the main item of the plot, which was focused more on the relationship about Hadley and her family rather than on her interactions with Oliver. I wouldn’t have minded that if the love story was more developed, and I do realize this was probably the intent of the author - to just show the possible beginning of a relationship rather than jumping completely into it - but still, I was left wanting more and felt that this was just the first half of what could have been a more developed book. ( )
  kairih | Aug 30, 2014 |
Hadley is 17. She has to fly to London to be in her father's wedding to evil Charlotte. Dad left Hadley and her mom for Charlotte while he was teaching for a semester in England. Hadley is angry and confused. She would rather not go to be in the wedding. She misses her flight and gets on the next flight which is three hours later. If she's "lucky" she'll barely make it to the church on time. Does she want to be lucky?
While waiting for the flight she meets Oliver. Oliver is studying at Yale and is flying home to London for a family event. They bond and end up sitting next to each other on the flight. Oliver helps Hadley forget her problems and overcome her claustrophobia on the long flight. They quickly develop feelings for each other but are separated in customs at Heathrow.
Can life change that quickly? Will they get back together? This book takes place over a 24 hour period. Looks at life and relationships and how they can not always seem to be what you think they are. ( )
  alsparks324 | Aug 15, 2014 |
The title is catchy, as is a 25 word summary of the plot - girl forced to fly to London for Dad's 2nd marriage, meets boy on plane, loses boy at Heathrow, finds boy, loses boy, then...Well that's about the gist of it. But unfortunately the book is fluff. Our little 17 year old heroine is very cranky, rude, a bit spiteful, upset about the divorce. She meets her prince and we hope the prose ramps up a bit, but it doesn't. The dialog is not very clever, the flight ends quickly and abruptly, and the rest of the story reads like a TV script for a low budget 90 minute romance. This is not in the same ballpark as the YA books by John Green and Rainbow Rowell. I'd recommend it for 14 year olds and below. Two stars is generous. ( )
  maneekuhi | Jun 30, 2014 |
I had a love and hate relationship with this book. I love it because I actually want a love story like this too! British lad hello? Who wouldn't want that?! I love it because it was simple yet it really tugged my heart. I love it because OLIVER.
I hate it because most part of the book, I can really relate to Hadley. I hate it because I want to do what Hadley bravely did. Let go and move on. I envied her.
But overall: I love it! ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
This story made me happy.

There's really no reason for it, of course. There’s nothing particularly original about the premise of this book or any of the events that transpire. Meeting in an airport is almost a cliche, but it doesn’t come off that way in this story at all. It’s actually remarkable how much I liked this book, because a book that’s billed as any kind of love story is not what I normally will choose to read. I think I owe most of that to Hadley and Oliver, two main characters I just absolutely adore. Hadley is insecure about her family, but at times brave and impulsive, and Oliver is just so quick-witted. I want to hang out with them all day.

The plot that moves the book forward is fairly standard, but it works. Even when the book deals with some pretty heavy issues of family, it never really lost its sweetness for me. There are bittersweet passages, but on the whole this story is like eating a slice of delicious chocolate cake, if you want to compare books to desserts. It’s a quick and highly recommended read.

Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
"And o there are days in this life, worth life and worth death." ~ Charles Dickens, Our Mutal Friend
Prologue: There are so many ways it could have all turned out differently.
Chapter 1: Airports are torture chambers if you're claustrophobic.

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Hadley and Oliver fall in love on the flight from New York to London, but after a cinematic kiss they lose track of each other at the airport until fate brings them back together on a very momentous day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible