The Statistical Probability of Love at First…

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

by Jennifer E. Smith

750None12,330 (3.88)41
2012 (13) 2013 (9) air travel (7) airplanes (11) airport (12) chick lit (7) contemporary (17) divorce (27) ebook (10) England (13) family (23) fate (11) fiction (31) funerals (19) Kindle (6) London (35) love (13) love story (6) own (7) read in 2012 (8) realistic fiction (9) remarriage (7) romance (67) teen (14) to-read (56) travel (11) wedding (29) YA (47) young adult (53) young adult fiction (6)

A fast, delightful read. An excellent YA story! ( )
  Liciasings | Apr 13, 2014 |
This is a book I read when I am both happy and sad. I adore Oliver and I wish he was the person I have to sit next to on long airplane rides ( )
  hawaiianmermaid701 | Apr 7, 2014 |
I only picked this book up by chance. Whilst in the book shop, I asked my brother to pick any book and I would read it. He actually did a completely unimaginable thing and chose in my usual reading category, therefore selecting this gem. (To be honest, I think he thought it was actually a book about statistics and probability, well, that plan back fired didn't it?!) That being said, I'm glad he chose it.

This book was different, to say the least. Not just because it was in extra large print and there were about two words per page, it was just unique... ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
This review was originally posted on my blog Little Miss Reader

I got an invitation to this book through netgalley, and since I was one of the first 500 people, I got a copy of the book. For a while after I was annoyed because I had a couple of books from netgalley already and I didn't need more.. But then I started reading it on a whim - I didn't have a book with me, and since I have this on my phone, I figured why not.... - and I loved it, I couldn't put it down and I almost read it in one sitting. I devoured this book within hours and I can honestly say, that this is one of the best and sweetest contemporaries I've ever read.

It starts out with our main character Hadley being 4 minutes late for her flight, which means she will be late for her dad's wedding.. When I started reading this book, I had no idea what is was about, I have never read the summary although I have heard a bunch of things about it, I have never heard people saying anything about the setting, the story or anything - other than it was really sweet. Sidetrack... What I wanted to say was, that the beginning wasn't all that

I love Hadley and Oliver together! They are both so quirky, and Hadley's fear of mayo is so irrational that I couldn't help myself and I kept laughing whenever I thought about it.
I love the scene on the plane where the old lady thinks they are a couple, it was so sweet and cute and it made me smile and just put me in a good mood!

I seriously love that Jennifer included the problem between Hadley and her dad, it gave the story a more serious tone to it, and it was a nice change from the story between Hadley and Oliver – not that I didn’t love everything that happened between those 2, I just think that the story is so much better because it had more depth to it. It is a tough day for both Oliver and Hadley – which is another thing I love. I think Jennifer somehow made this so realistic to me, I can totally relate to Hadley having a hard time with her dad, I too have had a hard time with my dad and went without speaking for a year. I can also relate to her not wanting to accept his new girlfriend, now soon-to-be-wife, since I resented my mom for dating guys not even weeks after she divorced my father. I think a lot of people can relate to this book, and I think that makes the book even more loveable!

There is a bunch of random moments throughout the book that is just the cutest. The way they won't say goodbye, the moment on the plane, when they wait at the toilets, when he sits down next to her and a ton more! This book is just a sweet and cozy read!

I don't want to continue praising this book and try to persuade you into reading it, but seriously think about it! I have read a bunch of contemporaries, but this just have that something else, like TFiOS has cancer, this has relatable family problems with a scavenger hunt twist!

In case you haven't already guessed it, I gave this book 5 hearts. In the beginning I couldn't decide whether it should be 4 or 5, but I settled with 5 since this book is one of the best contemporaries ever. Quirky, sweet and relatable characters that you just want to hug is something I really enjoy in books! ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
I really liked this book, it was so cute right from the start, but it wasn't just a love story, it also weaved in some other issues, and it all felt very believable. I couldn't put this book down for a second, it was too much of a page turner. I just wanted to see what happened!

It was funny, cute, well written, and had a wonderful storyline. The only negative I have, is that I would have liked to of seen a bit more of the love story, which is why it gets 4/5 instead of 5/5.

For a longer review, please check out my blog at http://www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
"And o there are days in this life, worth life and worth death." ~ Charles Dickens, Our Mutal Friend
Prologue: There are so many ways it could have all turned out differently.
Chapter 1: Airports are torture chambers if you're claustrophobic.

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Hadley and Oliver fall in love on the flight from New York to London, but after a cinematic kiss they lose track of each other at the airport until fate brings them back together on a very momentous day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible