The Statistical Probability of Love at First…

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

by Jennifer E. Smith

Recently added bybookworm12, private library, beakerjen, dobbymcghee, natzlovesyou, vballnerd16, MABoone, Glire, anhsieh
2012 (13) 2013 (9) air travel (7) airplanes (12) airport (13) contemporary (18) divorce (29) ebook (11) England (14) family (25) fate (11) favorites (7) fiction (34) funerals (21) London (40) love (15) love story (6) own (10) read (7) read in 2012 (9) realistic fiction (13) remarriage (9) romance (78) teen (15) to-read (65) travel (14) wedding (32) YA (49) young adult (58) young adult fiction (7)

English (105)  Spanish (1)  All languages (106)
The title is catchy, as is a 25 word summary of the plot - girl forced to fly to London for Dad's 2nd marriage, meets boy on plane, loses boy at Heathrow, finds boy, loses boy, then...Well that's about the gist of it. But unfortunately the book is fluff. Our little 17 year old heroine is very cranky, rude, a bit spiteful, upset about the divorce. She meets her prince and we hope the prose ramps up a bit, but it doesn't. The dialog is not very clever, the flight ends quickly and abruptly, and the rest of the story reads like a TV script for a low budget 90 minute romance. This is not in the same ballpark as the YA books by John Green and Rainbow Rowell. I'd recommend it for 14 year olds and below. Two stars is generous. ( )
  maneekuhi | Jun 30, 2014 |
I had a love and hate relationship with this book. I love it because I actually want a love story like this too! British lad hello? Who wouldn't want that?! I love it because it was simple yet it really tugged my heart. I love it because OLIVER.
I hate it because most part of the book, I can really relate to Hadley. I hate it because I want to do what Hadley bravely did. Let go and move on. I envied her.
But overall: I love it! ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
This story made me happy.

There's really no reason for it, of course. There’s nothing particularly original about the premise of this book or any of the events that transpire. Meeting in an airport is almost a cliche, but it doesn’t come off that way in this story at all. It’s actually remarkable how much I liked this book, because a book that’s billed as any kind of love story is not what I normally will choose to read. I think I owe most of that to Hadley and Oliver, two main characters I just absolutely adore. Hadley is insecure about her family, but at times brave and impulsive, and Oliver is just so quick-witted. I want to hang out with them all day.

The plot that moves the book forward is fairly standard, but it works. Even when the book deals with some pretty heavy issues of family, it never really lost its sweetness for me. There are bittersweet passages, but on the whole this story is like eating a slice of delicious chocolate cake, if you want to compare books to desserts. It’s a quick and highly recommended read.

Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
First of all, i love the cover and the title. I just really liked this book. I liked the fact that Hadley wasn't dying over Oliver and that she had other things on her mind. I also liked the familial love theme. I don't like to be bombarded with lovey dovey romancey goo. At first, I didn't like Hadley, but she grew on me. ( )
  marielreads | Jun 20, 2014 |
If you’re ever having a bad day, I would suggest this book to you right off the bat. It’s made me feel so light and buoyant and just plain happy to read.

There were times when Hadley was a little too much for me. I know that your dad is getting remarried and it hurts and you’re angry, but do you really need to be so petty? Then again, you are a teenage girl . . . so the answer to that question is of course you need to be. Because no one understands you, right?

But Oliver does.

Now I don’t personally believe that love at first sight is a realistic occurrence, but there’s a quote by Ann Aguirre that I LOVE because I feel like for me, that explains it better: “Sometimes when you meet someone, there’s a click. I don’t believe in love at first sight but I believe in that click. Recognition.”

That click of recognition is what Hadley feels with Oliver when she meets him in the airport. Their entire flight I watched them get lost in each other and then suddenly they’re landing and one of the MOST ADORABLE MOMENTS EVER happens–like a scene straight out of a movie–and then, nothing. Through the hustle and bustle of the crowds they part and I’m SCREAMING at them because they didn’t think to get each other’s numbers and how are they going to find each other?!

They need to find each other.

And throughout it all, Hadley has to deal with her resentment and her anger over her father leaving her and her mom for another woman. At first I didn’t like her dad, hearing about him and his choices. But then seeing how Hadley and her dad were distancing themselves from each other, I felt bad for him. By the end of the book and the end of the wedding, I was actually crying happy tears because seeing dads with their daughters tugs on ALL the heartstrings.

So yeah, Hadley grew on me. A lot. And I admire her for all of her growth:)

This book has a lot of moments of feeling adrift and lost, but also of finding your way back to where you need to be. You see it in all of Hadley’s relationships, be it with her mom and her dad and Oliver. It’s a book that makes you feel good reading it, and leaves you smiling like a fool;)

5/5 STARS;) ( )
  danitronmc | May 21, 2014 |
"And o there are days in this life, worth life and worth death." ~ Charles Dickens, Our Mutal Friend
Prologue: There are so many ways it could have all turned out differently.
Chapter 1: Airports are torture chambers if you're claustrophobic.

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Hadley and Oliver fall in love on the flight from New York to London, but after a cinematic kiss they lose track of each other at the airport until fate brings them back together on a very momentous day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,528,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible