The Statistical Probability of Love at First…

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

by Jennifer E. Smith

English (132)  Spanish (1)  All (133)
I really, really enjoyed this book. I just thought it was sweet and the way a YA romance should be written. It was understated when it needed to be and had a little drama,but wasn't overrun with it like other YA novels. It balanced whimsy and real life in all the right ways. ( )
  kmatti844 | May 2, 2017 |
Very cute story! Read it all in one day... that's how dang cute it was❤ ( )
  tabbyisnotacat | Apr 29, 2017 |
Sweet and heartwarming

While several of the twists were very predictable, the story is still fresh and enjoyable. Hadley and Oliver are a fine pair of protagonists, with a marvelous chemistry. The story of their meeting and falling in love is touching. The way they are helping each other to heal old family wounds while tentatively exploring their feelings for each other, both hoping against hope that there is more there than a single flight from NY to London with some snappy repartee and shy glances, is believable and wonderful. ( )
  Zensunni42 | Nov 15, 2016 |
Full review at:

Hadley is having a pretty bad day. Every little thing that can happen happens which cause the perfect storm of a series of unfortunate events that lead her to miss her plane by four minutes. It's not like she was super pumped to get on the plane in the first place, though. She is supposed to be on her way to London to be a bridesmaid in her dad's wedding to a lady she has never met, a lady who he left her mom for, and more importantly a lady who he left her for. She is going on this trip against her will, because both of her parents think it is for the best. Unfortunately she missed her plane and now she is stuck in the airport for three hours until she can catch the next flight to London. While in the airport, she meets Oliver. Oliver is a sweet British guy who offer to watch her bag for her and eats dinner with her since they are both stuck in the airport. As fate would have it, Oliver and Hadley also are sitting a seat away from each other on the plane. When a sweet old lady gives up her seat so Oliver can sit next to Hadley, they spend the next seven hours chatting and getting to know each other. Things feel perfect until the plane lands in London and their little fairy tale is over. They get separated in customs and end up not seeing each other again. The rest of the book follows Hadley as she deals with her dad's wedding, learns a lot about love and herself, and does a lot of growing up in a very short time.

The book itself takes place over the course of 24 hours. Since the book is on a timeline, I found myself really stressing out when things would happen and hours would tick by. It gave a really unique angle for the story and it made me feel like I was right there with Hadley dealing with the longest, best/worst day of her life. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It's sweet and cute and a very easy read. If you have ever watched any Rom-Com ever then you can predict where everything is going to go, but it was enjoyable regardless. I have been really digging contemporary YA romance lately, so this fell perfectly into that category. Not life changing, but definitely a great fluffy read. If you're looking for a good beach or pool read, this will keep you occupied for an afternoon and you will get out of it exactly what you think you will.

What really pushed me to finally read this book was when I found out that Hailee Steinfeld and Robert Sheehan have been cast as Hadley and Oliver. Going into the book with those two in my head was PERFECT. The casting is spot on, and I am absolutely ecstatic to see how this goes from page to screen next year. The things that Oliver says made me absolutely swoon, and when you put Robert Sheehan's face with those beautiful words..... All I can say is: Panty dropper. Hailee Steinfeld is going to be so funny and quirky as Hadley. I think she will really bring the character to life and be able to show all of the moments that can only be described as being a seventeen year old girl. So even if contemporary YA isn't your thing, I would still encourage you to read this if only to see how it is in the book before it becomes a movie (it's always way more fun than way!). ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
I stumbled upon this book by accident. I was looking for a light young adult book to read - something different than my usual fantasy, scifi or dystopian reads - and this was one of the books that popped up on my searches. I thought it looked like what I was looking for so I would give it a go. I was not disappointed!

At first glance this seems to be a young adult romance story. Something light and fun to zip through quickly. But it didn't take more than a few pages for me to realize that this book was much more than that. While there is a romantic storyline, Smith is dealing with much deeper issues in this novel: death, divorce, parents, life changes and the pain of moving on.

I highly recommend this to any teen, particularly those in their senior years at high school. This is an amazingly well written coming of age story. A cross between Laurie Halse Anderson and John Green, Jennifer E. Smith is a talented writer. The characters and the storyline are anything but predictable and will keep you turning the pages! ( )
  cathishaw | Oct 27, 2016 |
"And o there are days in this life, worth life and worth death." ~ Charles Dickens, Our Mutal Friend
Prologue
There are so many ways it could have all turned out differently.
Chapter 1
Airports are torture chambers if you're claustrophobic.

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Hadley and Oliver fall in love on the flight from New York to London, but after a cinematic kiss they lose track of each other at the airport until fate brings them back together on a very momentous day.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,317,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible