The Statistical Probability of Love at First…

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

by Jennifer E. Smith

English (114)  Spanish (1)  All languages (115)
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight (that's a long title!) was a great book to start my year. Quick, but entertaining, it makes my inner romantic sigh. Jennifer E. Smith not only created a great story, but also inspired me in a way.

Firstly, this book has intensified my longing to visit the UK, to see everything there is to see over there. I guess I've been inspired to go on an adventure- no tour guides, just me, with a backpack hung over my shoulders and a map, traveling all across London (and many other travel sites in Europe, of course). I'm glad that the author didn't just focus on the love aspect of the story, but that she also focused on creating the perfect setting.

Many authors of this particular genre, just focus on creating what's most popularly known as "instalove". Seeing as the book's events transcurred in only about 24 hours, you'd think this would be the case, bu it wasn't. We see both characters spring from an acquantaince to an attraction to a steady "oh crap I think I'm in love" phase. That's what I really liked about this story. This story made you believe in love at first sight. Do I think you can fall in love at first sight? Absolutely not. But I do believe you can sense when someone is just right for you.

This book also made me believe in forgiveness. Seeing the main character, Hadley, go through something extremely challenging and difficult to forgive makes me believe that forgiveness does heal.

Maybe I'm reading more into this book that what I'm supposed to, but if the book can make me think this way, then it must be pretty good.

I enjoyed reading the quirky conversations between the main characters and I loved the simple way that their "love" evolved. Every character was enjoyable, and even though the story was from Hadley's point of view, I felt as if I got an insight into each important character.

Now, would I read this book again? Maybe not. But it's not because it was bad, but because this is a book that you can easily always remember. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 18, 2015 |
RGG: Sweet romance. Just a few kisses. The romance may be what sells the novel, but it is also a nice problem novel about handling parents' divorce and remarriage. Reading Level: YA.
  rgruberexcel | Apr 13, 2015 |
  rgruberexcel | Apr 13, 2015 |
  rgruberhighschool | Apr 13, 2015 |
I think this is a short, sweet, boy meets girl love story.

Hadley for most of the book has a chip on her shoulder. She's travelling overseas on her own to visit her Dad, who is about to marry another woman Hadley has never met. She's not happy about the decision he made to leave. On her 24-hour journey to the wedding, she meets a young gentleman who makes her smile, helps her through her fears and makes her see this situation she is in a little differently.

What are the chances you will meet the love of your life at the airport?

I would recommend this book to teen aged girls. I am 24 and I think I am just too old to read this. ( )
  sharlenehsmith | Mar 9, 2015 |
"And o there are days in this life, worth life and worth death." ~ Charles Dickens, Our Mutal Friend
Prologue: There are so many ways it could have all turned out differently.
Chapter 1: Airports are torture chambers if you're claustrophobic.

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Hadley and Oliver fall in love on the flight from New York to London, but after a cinematic kiss they lose track of each other at the airport until fate brings them back together on a very momentous day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,483,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible