Verzwegen by Kristina Ohlsson

Verzwegen (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Kristina Ohlsson, Edith Sybesma

Member:aveys
Title:Verzwegen
Authors:Kristina Ohlsson
Other authors:Edith Sybesma
Info:Vianen The House of Books 2011
Collections:Read in 2012, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Silenced by Kristina Ohlsson (2010)

English (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (9)
Fifteen years ago a young girl was brutally attacked as she picked flowers in a meadow near her parents’ Swedish country home. Fast forward to the present. It's a cold February morning in Stockholm, when the federal investigation unit is assigned two new cases. A man has been killed in a hit and run. He has no identification on him, he is not reported missing nor wanted by the police. Investigative Analyst Fredrika Bergman has the task of finding out who he is. At the same time, a priest and his wife are found dead in their apartment. All evidence suggests that the priest shot his wife and the committed suicide. But is that all there is to it?

Two different cases, seemingly unrelated. But it is not long before the investigations begin to converge and the police are following a trail that leads all the way back to the ’90s, to a crime that was hushed-up, but whose consequences will reach further and deeper than anyone ever expected.

Silenced starts off slowly but quickly builds into something that manages to be thoroughly absorbing. I was a fan of the first Fredrika Bergman novel, The Unwanted, and plan to pick up the next in the series, The Disappeared as soon as I can. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
I can see that Ohlsson was trying hard to remedy the flaw in her previous novel: that it was too easy to see the big clue that the detectives were missing. But in order to have the audience think that they saw another clue like this and have them be wrong this time, Ohlsson pulls a rabbit out of the hat that simply doesn't work for me. It relies on too many tricks and is, in the end, unbelievable. On the other hand, if she writes another in this series, I would still read it. I want to see how she evolves as a writer. ( )
  heathrel | Dec 24, 2015 |
Settle down for a compulsive read, but be ready to ignore that "could this really happen?" feeling as the novel progresses. This is the second of Kristina Ohlsson's Fredrika Bergman/Alex Recht novels, and it is a very good mystery indeed. The plot pulled me in right from the start -- did the elderly activist really kill his wife and then himself? What about their missing daughter, and is there any connection to a hit and run victim found with no identification? And the plot keeps on pumping, giving us new bits of evidence that reveal an ever widening story, while the author keeps it all comprehensible, and all moving forward.
That's what you want from a mystery -- a plot that keeps you reading -- but this novel has a lot more. The police characters are fully rounded and have complicated personal lives, which affect the way they interact and create even more suspense. The writing is sharp and accurate, without that muffled sense I sometimes get from translations in this genre. And I at least really started to care about some of the characters, hoping things would work out for them, yet another incentive to keep on reading.
So why the caveat about hard to believe? Lots of Scandinavian mystery fiction demands a major suspension of disbelief. It resents horrific and baroque crime as something that happens all the time, but we know that these countries are in the main law abiding (which was what made the Breivik massacres even more horrifying). That's fine: lots of 20th century British crime fiction made the same demand -- think of the crime rate in the peaceful village of St. Mary Mead! But Ohlsson demands a LOT of suspension, particularly towards the end of the novel. I won't say when the "oh, come on" reaction began to set in, but it was certainly there.
And so much for the caveat. Hard to believe or not, I am really looking forward to reading number 3 in the series, which is already waiting on my Kindle. ( )
  annbury | Jun 25, 2015 |
Kristina Ohlsson has written such a skillfully complex story filled with nuanced characters that I wish I had read the first book in this series, Unwanted. Silenced is definitely an ensemble book in which the supposed lead, Fredrika Bergman, really doesn't play a substantially larger part than her cast mates.

The lives of the police officers play an important role and give the book even more believability and depth. Fredrika is in her thirties and has decided to have a child by a much older married man. One of the most touchingly honest scenes in this book involves a mandatory dinner at Fredrika's parents so they can meet the father of her child. Each police officer's private life (to varying degrees) is woven into the story to show how personal matters can affect their job performance. One officer in particular, Peder Rydh, has gone through a messy separation from his wife and children, and his life has begun to implode. He's become a boor, a jerk, and in many other books, that's how he would have remained-- a figure of derision. But in Ohlsson's hands, we are given the chance to understand him and to hope that he can pull back from the brink. It may sound as though all this character examination would bog down the plot, but it is enhancement, not hindrance.

Speaking of plot, Ohlsson's is first-rate, with several elements that I'm not going to mention so you can get the full effect if you decide to read the book. As I've said before, the plot is complex, with things not being how they first appeared. Layer upon layer of deception is gradually revealed, all the way to the book's conclusion. Silenced may not be quite as tough or as graphic as some of the other Scandinavian crime fiction we've been introduced to, but I like Ohlsson's approach to her subject matter. Her characters show us all the differing sides, and her conclusions pack a wallop. This is a series that I definitely want to continue reading. ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 3, 2014 |
Second book by author. Freedoms Bergman

Frederika Bergman returns in the latest installment from Swedish author Ohlsson. Frederika is the only civilian working with Alex Recht’s federal investigation unit, but you wouldn’t know this was her book until the very end. The novel opens with the rape of a teenage girl in Frederika’s own backyard. Then we fast-forward several years to a priest and his wife, who are killed in an apparent murder-suicide; in a seemingly unrelated incident, a man is killed in a hit-and-run accident. Alex and his team, including the very pregnant Frederika, start investigating, and things are not at all how they first appeared to be. Human trafficking is going on, from the Middle East through Bangkok and then to Sweden. OK, but then things really get twisty. The story slowly unfolds, revealing layer upon layer of deception. The interplay between the detectives adds another level of interest to this intriguing puzzle, as do the inner workings of a foreign police department. This Scandinavian procedural, though less gristly than most of the genre, should appeal to international-mystery fans. --Stacy Alesi --This text refers to the Hardcover edition. ( )
  Suzanne_Mitchell | Dec 26, 2013 |

Kristina Ohlssonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Menna, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Die Wiese - ihr Grün und die Blumen - hatte schon immer ihr gehört.

A teenage girl is assaulted and raped on a midsummer's eve fifteen years ago. Cut to present, and a man is killed in a hit and run. He has no identification on him, he is not reported missing nor wanted by the police. Simultaneously a priest and his wife are found dead in an apparent suicide. Fredrika Bergman and her colleagues are assigned to the seemingly unconnected cases.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,264,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible