Saints Astray by Jacqueline Carey

Saints Astray (edition 2011)

by Jacqueline Carey

143None83,534 (3.19)9
Member:smiteme
Title:Saints Astray
Authors:Jacqueline Carey
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:**
Tags:own it, fiction, fantasy, science fiction, read in 2012, read it, reviewed it

Saints Astray by Jacqueline Carey

No where near as good as the first book. Loup takes a back seat to all the action and all the characters. Not to mention everything is just so conveniently arranged. The security job, the training, the jobs, the band... There's just a little too much happily ever after throughout the whole book ( )
1 vote lesmel | Oct 21, 2013 |
Did you know that Loup and Pilar love each other? Because OMG they tooootally do. Like, so much. ( )
2 vote JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
This review can also be found at: Written Permission

This book took me so long to read. I was not invested in it at all, and I was waiting for it to be over. If it wasn't such a short book, I would have given up on it.

It shares nothing with the first book except for the flaws. There is gratuitous sex, profanity and overuse of the word "baby". I was so tired of all of the fade-outs on Pilar and Loup having sexy-times by page 50. It felt like every 5-10 pages there was some mention of it. We get it. The two of them are in love. They like having sex. I have no issues with sex in books, but it was overkill.

In my review of book one, I was very happy with Jacqueline Carey's character development. The selfishness, the anguish. Even though we never got a really good look in Loup's head, the characters still felt solid. That aspect was severely lacking in Saints Astray. None of the characters had any substance to them, Loup especially. I know that being fearless would make her different, but for someone who is supposed to be essentially human, she was exceptionally blank.

Then we have the story. I think rather than Saints Astray, the title should have been "Saints Adrift". Loup and Pilar set off on an adventure as bodyguards. Technically, the writing is great, but story-wise... the writing was severely lacking. Their being bodyguards was so unrelated to Outpost that it just made me sit and stare at the book for a minute. Then when Outpost-related things happened, they happened so fast. The worldbuilding remains thin, and even when Loup and Pilar are asked to explain their exploits, they respond with "That is a bit of a weird story". If your characters don't even know why they did what they did... it probably wasn't a good choice. Overall, not worth the ending and having everything tied up for the series.

Also, for people being one-in-a-hundred to find Loup appealing rather than repulsive... there sure seemed to be a lot of them in the book.

Bottom Line: Jacqueline Carey remains strong technically, but Saints Astray is so glaringly different from book one that I found it to be jarring and unsatisfying, not to mention a little boring. ( )
3 vote erincathryn | Mar 31, 2013 |
Basically this book is about two characters whom I adore running around Europe and having lots of sex. There is a plot (and it's a perfectly good plot) but that's completely beside the point. This is the extended happy ending that I want all books involving lesbian relationships to have. I am totally incapable of judging this book objectively. It just makes me too happy. ( )
1 vote JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |

Bloody hell. I really only got how awful this was until halfway through, by which point I figured I might as well take it to its end. If only because it's super quick read and to see the characters go back to Outpost again. Yea, sorry if I ruined that for you, but... nah. I'm not. Don't pick this up.

The first book is really pretty good- it has such an interesting premise and Carey takes it in weird directions. This follow-up is the result of Carey's agent saying "all that sexy lesbian stuff, the masses really love that and you didn't give them enough in the last one, so be sure you give it to them in EVERY FRICKIN' chapter this time, okay?" Seriously, I started counting the number of times she ended a chapter with them groping each other. So. Unbelievably. Dull. And. Boring. And not only because she can't write a sex scene to save her life.

Plus, if I hear the phrase "getting your smolder on" ever again, I might either throw up or throw something. ( )
2 vote khage | Feb 4, 2013 |
For Julie, my bordertown dreamer.
The world was a very, very big place.

(from the back of the book)Fellow orphans, amateur vigilantes, and members of the Santitos, Loup Garron - the fugitive daughter of a genetically engineered "wolf man" - and Pilar Ecchevarria grew up in the military zone of Outpost 12, formerly known as Santa Olivia.  But now they're free, and they want to help the rest of the Santitos escape.  During a series of escapades, they discover that Miguel, Loup's former sparring partner and reprobate surrogate brother, has escaped from Outpost 12 and is testifying on behalf of its forgotten citizens - at least until he disappears from protective custody.  Honor drives Loup to rescue Miguel, even though entering the United States could mean losing her liberty.  Pilar vows to help her.

It will take a daring and absurd caper to extricate Miguel from the mess he's created, but Loup is prepared to risk everything... and this time she has help.

After her escape from military custody, Loup and her girlfriend Pilar have a chance to reinvent their lives thousands of miles away from the forgotten and disenfranchised Texas border town of Outpost 12, known as Santa Olivia to those trapped there for decades. Thanks to Loup's preternatural gifts of strength, speed, and an innate fearlessness, as well as Pilar's unexpected skill with a pistol, they find new careers as high-priced bodyguards for a world famous British rock band. Back in the States, an investigation into the existence of Outpost 12 begins in Washington, D.C. When the key witness with evidence to expose the military cover-up, their old comrade Miguel, vanishes, the case seems lost. The abandoned citizens of Santa Olivia need a champion, a voice raised on their behalf, which pushes Loup and Pilar into a hard choice. If Loup returns to U.S. soil, she'll be an outlaw. If she's caught, she'll be taken into custody again; and this time, there may be no escape. But if she and Pilar don't fight for freedom of those they left behind, no one will.--From back cover.… (more)

55 wanted1 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,437,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible