The Buddha in the Attic (Pen/Faulkner Award…

The Buddha in the Attic (Pen/Faulkner Award - Fiction) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Julie Otsuka (Author)

Member:onenita
Title:The Buddha in the Attic (Pen/Faulkner Award - Fiction)
Authors:Julie Otsuka (Author)
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: 1, 144 pages

The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka (2011)

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (Anonymous user, SqueakyChu)
    Anonymous user: A sweet love story but an eye-opener about Japanese and Chinese Americans at the time of Pearl Harbor attack
    The Lost Daughter of Happiness by Geling Yan (Limelite)
    Limelite: Not about the Japanese immigration experience, but set in San Francisco in the late 19th C., this novel evokes Chinatown and the impact Chinese and Americans had on each other depicted in a tightly personal experience. Readers will find common themes -- racism, struggle, isloation -- as in Otsuka's novella.… (more)
    Ru by Kim Thúy (raidergirl3)
    raidergirl3: nonlinear short chapters, immigrant experience
    Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston (speedy74)
    speedy74: This book also provides information regarding the Japanese internment.

English (156)  French (4)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (173)
This is a fairly easy read written primarily in first person plural. It tells about the experiences of Japanese brides brought to San Francisco in the first quarter of the 20th Century until the start of World War II when Japanese Americans were placed in internment camps upon the order of the president, Franklin D. Roosevelt. ( )
  baughga | Sep 21, 2018 |
A short book, a quick read and totally absorbing. I loved the style of writing, it caught me up, gathered me in and carried me along with the wonderful dialogue. I felt as if all the characters were seated in my lounge room. Everyone talking, chatting, crying, sitting quietly, arguing, hugging, laughing communing …..altogether, all at once! For what is a sad tale, I was captivated. ( )
  Fliss88 | Aug 20, 2018 |
This book is written is a style I have never come across, and that includes other books written by the author. The paragraphs read almost as running lists, each one throwing out the different ways many women experience moments of their journey as brides immigrating to America.
Selected as brides for men already in the US, the women come from varying backgrounds and make their choices for different reasons. Every element of their lives differs, and each experience is valid and needed to be documented. Instead of focussing on a few characters and writing a typical narrative, the author has done an exhaustive amount of research and is presenting us with as many heartbreaking, frightening, exhilarating, triumphant, humiliating, mundane, shameful, loving and terrifying moments as she can. No word is wasted, no experience unimportant and all contribute to my understanding of the experience of the Japanese women who came here for a better life, who came here to find love, who came looking for the American dream and what happened to all they had worked for when after many years, Pearl Harbor happened.

To me this book read as a long, flowing poem and it honors and memorializes the lives, struggles, triumphs, failures, and sometimes destruction of these women. ( )
1 vote Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Such a good book! The Buddha in the Attic is about Japanese picture brides coming to America in the years before WWII. It's told from all of their perspectives and experiences from the boat ride, seeing their husbands for the first time, having sex, having children, working and then what happens to them, their families, the lives they built after Pearl Harbor happened. I love how it was written no set characters and it shows the diversity of these women's experiences during this time. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
Written in the first person plural about the migration of Japanese women from Japan to the US before Pearl Harbor. It followed them from the boat ride, meeting their husbands, their migrant labor experiences, their families, the immigrant experience. Last chapter is told from the collective viewpoint of the Americans. We were/are so thoughtless sometimes. ( )
  sraelling | May 6, 2018 |
This passage may give a clue as to how Julie Otsuka's book is to be read. She calls it a novel. It is closely and carefully based on factual history/ies. There are novelistically vivid faces, scenes, glimpses, voices, each for a moment only, so you cannot linger anywhere or with anyone. Information is given, a good deal of it, in the most gracefully invisible manner; and history is told. Yet the book has neither a novel's immediacy of individual experience, nor the broad overview of history. The tone is often incantatory, and though the language is direct, unconvoluted, almost without metaphor, its true and very unusual merit lies, I think, in that indefinable quality we call poetry.....I am sorry that after it, in the last chapter, she suddenly changes her narrative mode and ceases to follow her group of women. The point of view changes radically and "we" suddenly are the whites: "The Japanese have disappeared from our town."

Narrated in the first-person plural, The Buddha in the Attic is a slight, but powerfully moving piece of prose. It tells the story of a group of Japanese mail-order brides, from their journey to America, through marriage, work, childbirth and motherhood, until they and their entire communities are rounded up at the beginning of the war....Some might find the plurality of voice troubling, suggesting that it does little to restore individual identities to those whom history has forgotten, but I would argue the opposite. A host of individual characters and experiences crystallise as families and communities take root

But the book’s plural voice is particularly effective at capturing their long, giddy conversations on the ship as they wonder if American men really grow hair on their chests, put ­pianos in their front parlors and dance “cheek to cheek all night long” with their lucky wives....But no story in the conventional sense ever develops, and no individuals emerge for more than a paragraph....Had we known them as full individuals — as real and diverse and distinct — we couldn’t have whisked them away to concentration camps in the desert. A great novel should shatter our preconceptions, not just lacquer them with sorrow.

Julie Otsukaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scholtz, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There be of them, that have left a name behind them, that their praises might be reported. And some there be, which have no memorial; who are perished, as though they had never been; and are become as though they had never been born; and their children after them.

—ECCLESIASTICUS 44:8-9
Barn's burnt down—
now
I can see the moon.

—MASAHIDE
For Andy
On the boat we were mostly virgins.

Finalist for the 2011 National Book Award

Julie Otsuka’s long awaited follow-up to When the Emperor Was Divine (“To watch Emperor catching on with teachers and students in vast numbers is to grasp what must have happened at the outset for novels like Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird” —The New York Times) is a tour de force of economy and precision, a novel that tells the story of a group of young women brought over from Japan to San Francisco as ‘picture brides’ nearly a century ago.

In eight incantatory sections, The Buddha in the Attic traces their extraordinary lives, from their arduous journey by boat, where they exchange photographs of their husbands, imagining uncertain futures in an unknown land; to their arrival in San Francisco and their tremulous first nights as new wives; to their backbreaking work picking fruit in the fields and scrubbing the floors of white women; to their struggles to master a new language and a new culture; to their experiences in childbirth, and then as mothers, raising children who will ultimately reject their heritage and their history; to the deracinating arrival of war.

In language that has the force and the fury of poetry, Julie Otsuka has written a singularly spellbinding novel about the American dream.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

Presents the stories of six Japanese mail-order brides whose new lives in early twentieth-century San Francisco are marked by backbreaking migrant work, cultural struggles, children who reject their heritage, and the prospect of wartime internment.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,961,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible