Beach Lane (Chesapeake Shores) by Sherryl…

Beach Lane (Chesapeake Shores) (edition 2011)

by Sherryl Woods

202785,794 (3.93)1
Member:CalicoCat
Title:Beach Lane (Chesapeake Shores)
Authors:Sherryl Woods
Info:Mira (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read 2011
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Romance, Series, PB

Beach Lane by Sherryl Woods

"Great Chesapeake Shores series...great to hear from the O'Brien family as characters come alive!" Great author - read the entire series! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
i love all sheryl woods...can't wait for the next one. ( )
  ava-st-claire | Feb 21, 2014 |
Beach Lane by Sherrryl Woods
Susie is very good friends with Mack and their life is moving along. He has just started his new buiness and has
hired a past girlfriend and he often regrets that choice, as do other relatives.
We are cuaght up with the rest of the family and their plans for the upcoming year and they mix with what's going
on with Susie's health problems. Given the choices they can't go back so forward they go on. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
Mack and Susie share a solid, ever-loyal love that everyone—except for Mack and Susie themselves—seems to recognize. The onset and eventual defeat of an illness tests this exquisite bond, which exposes its rawest of vulnerabilities, yet at the same time, illuminates upon its unshakable strength. The entire town of Chesapeake Shores will stand by both their sides during the difficult period; many will question—while others will emphasize—the importance of faith and God's will. But when it comes down to things, what matters is that Mack and Susie fit perfectly—always have, always will. And that alone, they know, will get them through it all.

Beach Lane is highly emotional rather than romantic. There's lots of future-planning and emphasis on family matters... reading this book was like watching a short Hallmark movie. It's a quick, enjoyable read with lots of depth within the characters and honest, well-portrayed emotions. Overall, it's chaste and sweet—hardly a romance, and more a family novel.

There's a cast of marvelous, strong secondary characters, which indicates they were or will be fantastic foundations for their own stories in past and upcoming books in the series. Although Beach Lane is the seventh Woods novel to take place in Chesapeake Shores, it serves fine as a standalone novel; I hadn't read any of the previous installments, and still had no problem keeping up. You can tell with how involved all the characters are with each other, that they each have their own backstories and own lives and loves, which is what makes the intricacy of such interpersonal relationships—and in just one small town, at that!—all the more magical.

This was really an undemanding read, perfect for a brief contemporary escape with an east coast beach setting (guaranteeing a gorgeous view and the lingering scent of salt in the air). The story moved me, but in the end, was pretty unmemorable. There's nothing I adored and nothing I hated; it was just an effortless story I breezed over. I did, however, find it it extremely weird how the entire extended O'Brien family meddles in Susie's dating life, as well as in the lives of others. I know this book is strong on family values, but how realistic is it that an entire town—no matter how small—would stick it nose into such personal matters? Sherryl Woods overdid that aspect a little.

Pros: Effortless style—such smooth storytelling! // Deep, grounded, and balanced main characters // Fabulous and likable secondary characters // Clean, chaste romance // One of those books that makes you feel warm and well-loved

Cons: Painfully predictable // No chemistry in the romance since the Susie and Mack have feelings for each other from the beginning // Super-intimate family dynamic that I found weird // A bit too corny for my liking

Love: "It seemed [he] had the ability to rob her of common sense, reason, logic—all of those things on which she prided herself. And that made him not only the most inappropriate man she'd ever dated, but the most dangerous."

Verdict: While buoyant in tone, Beach Lane tackles a serious terminal illness that gives it a melancholy feel to it throughout; however, once Susie overcomes her fears and learns to just live her life, there is nothing but triumph. Full of hope and light, Sherryl Woods's seventh book in the Chesapeake Shores series is about believing in yourself and believing in love even in the hardest of times—perfect for all you happily-ever-after fans.

Rating: 7 out of 10 hearts (4 stars): Not perfect, but overall enjoyable.

Source: Complimentary ARC provided by Romance Novel News in exchange for an honest and unbiased review (thank you, Carolyn!). ( )
  stephanieloves | Jul 14, 2013 |
This book is great as usual for Sherryl Woods, but gut wrenching at some levels. Some of the story came as a complete shock, however, ended up nicely. I was a little disappointed in where some of the story line took you, as traditionally Sherryl Woods takes you in the no man's land of Romance and that just didn't happen here. It wasn't exactly the happier ever after that I guess I THOUGHT it should have been.

I do find it a little disappointing that we don't hear much beyond pregnancies and new baby's being born after a character's story is told. Usually each story ends open-ended, and it seems I never get the end of that story that way!

Overall, I love this series, and can't wait to dive into this side of the O'Brien family.

They all leave me wanting MORE MORE MORE! ( )
  acorley84 | Apr 7, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778329895, Mass Market Paperback)

In the close-knit community of Chesapeake Shores, Maryland, Susie O'Brien and Mack Franklin's "not dating" claim befuddles everyone, especially since the two spend every spare minute together. Susie's thrilled when their friendship finally heats up. Then, just when happily-ever-after seems within reach, Mack loses the job he loves and Susie faces a devastating diagnosis.

But O'Briens always unite in a crisis. Even her cousin Jess, Susie's rival for most of their lives, becomes her staunchest supporter—especially when Mack's former lover comes to town. The stakes are higher than ever before, but Susie's definitely up to the challenge…as long as Mack's right there by her side.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:47 -0400)

"In the close-knit community of Chesapeake Shores, Maryland, Susie O'Brien and Mack Franklin's 'not dating' claim befuddles everyone, especially since the two spend every spare minute together. Susie's thrilled when their friendship finally heats up. Then, just when happily-ever-after seems within reach, Mack loses the job he loves and Susie faces a devastating diagnosis. But O'Briens always unite in a crisis. Even her cousin Jess, Susie's rival for most of their lives, becomes her staunchest supporter--especially when Mack's former lover comes to town. The stakes are higher than ever before, but Susie's definitely up to the challenge...as long as Mack's right there by her side."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Sherryl Woods is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,360,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible