A Kingdom's Cost: Book I of The Douglas…

A Kingdom's Cost: Book I of The Douglas Trilogy (edition 2011)

by J. R. Tomlin

Member:Betty30554
Title:A Kingdom's Cost: Book I of The Douglas Trilogy
Authors:J. R. Tomlin
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 268 pages
Collections:Read, reviewed & rated

A Kingdom's Cost: A Novel of Scotland by J.R. Tomlin

I really hate it when I finish a book and immediately wish I had the next one. [A Kingdom's Cost] ended too soon. By this, I mean while the book completed the story it set out to tell - the fight for freedom for Scotland in 1306 and 1307 - I didn't want the book to end.

The story, the politics and the main characters come straight out of Scotland's history books and, through the pen of [[J.R. Tomlin]], come to life. I tend to get bored when descriptions of characters and their environs get too deeply involved. But, Tomlin involves the reader in the people and their time so thoroughly that one can feel the cold rain and hear the battle raging and experience their grief, without boring the reader in the process. Tomlin did not leave any story lines unfinished, either, yet ended the book in such a way that the sequel can easily be written.

[A Kingdom's Cost] is well researched, well written and very enjoyable. I am definitely keeping it on my re-read shelf, as well as keeping a lookout for other books written by [[J.R. Tomlin]]. ( )
1 vote Betty30554 | Dec 6, 2012 |
Historical fiction. One of my favorite genres. The research was definitely done on this book. I truly enjoyed it. Well worth reading. It gave depth to the real people that were involved in the battle. I read the book as slowly as I could to savor it which I hardly ever do.

I received this book in a LibraryThing Giveaway. ( )
  ladyofunicorns | Jul 6, 2012 |
I love historical fiction and was excited to read this. This is a book about the war between England and Scotland in the 1300s. Mr. Tomlin is a good storyteller but the only problem with it is its a guy book. it was too gruesome for me and a lot of my favorite characters kept on dying! I know thats how the story is supposed to go (duh! HISTORICAL fiction) but that does not keep me from being sad about what happened. Its a good book over-all but not just for me. At least, it made me interested in Scotland's history. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Jul 3, 2012 |
A Kingdom’s Cost is a historical fiction of the reign of Edward I of England and the wars in Scotland of the 14th century. The description of the countryside, characters, and gory details of battle gave you an insight to the struggle for freedom and independence. The language was not to difficult to understand, while not exactly accurate, it did allow you to place yourself in the time period without struggling to decipher the translation.
I also enjoyed the depiction of the personalities of the characters.
Overall I did enjoy this book and will look for other works from J.R. Tomlin. I would definitely recommend this to historical fiction buffs. ( )
  wantoread | May 1, 2012 |
First off historical dramas are really not my kind of book but I must this one does a splendid job of giving you a hard look at Scottlands fight for independence from England. If you like a good historical war story then this is definitely one that you would want to read. Great story and a nice way to spend the afternoon in the sun. ( )
  Scoshie | Mar 8, 2012 |
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that
we are fighting, but for freedom--for that alone, which no
honest man gives up but with life itself.
Declaration of Arbroath (1320)
Paris: September, 1300
"Putain de merde!" Dazed, knocked to his knees by the merchant's blow, James Douglas leaned against the brick wall.

Eighteen-year-old James Douglas can only watch, helpless, as the Scottish freedom fighter, William Wallace, is hanged, drawn, and quartered. Even under the heel of a brutal English conqueror, James’s blood-drenched homeland may still have one hope for freedom, the rightful king of the Scots, Robert the Bruce. James swears fealty to the man he believes can lead the fight against English tyranny.

The Bruce is soon a fugitive, king in name and nothing more. Scotland is occupied, the Scottish resistance crushed. Only James believes their cause is not lost. With driving determination, he blazes a path in blood and violence, in cunning and ruthlessness as he wages a guerrilla war to restore Scotland’s freedom. James knows he risks sharing Wallace’s fate, but what he truly fears is that he has become as merciless as the conqueror he fights.

J.R. Tomlin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,247,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible