dismiss

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

Angels & Demons (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Dan Brown

Series: Robert Langdon (1)

The murder of a world-famous physicist raises fears that the Illuminati are operating again after centuries of silence, and religion professor Robert Langdon is called in to assist with the case.
Member:baerana
Title:Angels & Demons
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Pocket Star (2001), Mass Market Paperback

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (2000)

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (dezert)
    dezert: It's the sequel
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (craigim, JoK)
    JoK: Delved the enigma of the Illuminati a decade before (and in more detail) than Dan Brown.
    The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea (craigim, CarlosMcRey)
    CarlosMcRey: About as historically accurate but much more fun.
    The Fire Gospel: The Myth of Prometheus by Michel Faber (2810michael)
    2810michael: Necessary to read after Dan Brown...
    The Fire by Katherine Neville (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Both works feature mystic orders carrying secret information. Both are founded on just enough history to leave you wondering if really could be true.
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: The probably broach is a story of government secrecy, and cover ups. Its the story of a adventure so filled with wonder it can only be called Science Fiction. It's a mystery that needs to be solved. You need to read this book
    Darkness Left Undone by Carl Henegan (Alexandria_annex)
    Alexandria_annex: Darkness Left Undone is the second book in a series with Bartender Mike who gets caught up in international intrigue. I found Dan Brown's books and Carl Henegan's books both share similar themes and energy intensities and I like both authors styles very much.… (more)
    The Hidden Ones by Nancy Madore (Freddul)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: This award-winning bestseller is a Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    The Moses Legacy by Adam Palmer (Farringdon)
    Farringdon: Same genre
    The Rozabal Line by Ashwin Sanghi (JuliaMaria)
    The Flanders Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (VictoriaPL)
    The Seville Communion by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Alixtii)
    The Pope's Assassin by Luís M. Rocha (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Conspiracy at the highest levels of the Church.
    Hard Whispers by Pamela Martin (Alexandria_annex)
    Alexandria_annex: I thought Hard Whispers had the same not stop action feel that kept me on the edge of the seat.

English (663)  Dutch (17)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  French (6)  Italian (5)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (1)  Tagalog (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (724)
Fordulatos és okosan szórakoztató - remek szerkesztés, izgalmassá teszik a párhuzamosan futó szálak, a rövid, dinamikus fejezetek. Érdekesen szövi a tudomány és a vallás meséjét, misztikumát és 21. századi élményét egy kötetbe. Jó karakterek, emberi indítékok és sorsok adják a végig fenntartható érdeklődést. Nagyszerűen használja ki a technika eddigi vívmányait és legújabb eredményeit, ügyesen kelti fel az érdeklődést Róma, mint turisztikai látványosság és a benne látható képzőművészeti alkotások és gigantikus művészi teljesítmények iránt. ( )
  gjudit8 | Aug 3, 2020 |
I read 315 pages. Ooops! I couldn't continue. I was enthusiastic when I took this book to read. Being a liker of thriller, suspense, crime genres, I haven't liked it :( Reason being, the book revolves around history and stuff which make me boring while reading(Story, which is the soul of book, depends on history). So I gave up. :(
  Prasanna_Shanbhogue | Jun 25, 2020 |
Dan Brown writes trashy genre fiction, yes, but he does it WELL. This book didn't enlighten me, change my world view or worm its way into my consciousness forever, but it DID keep me interested and turning pages right to the end.

It's all completely unbelievable, but it's a good blockbuster thriller nonetheless. Brown's style isn't that of the literary greats, but he has his own talent - readability - and that's why he's spent so much time in the bestseller lists.

Great holiday reading - thoroughly enjoyable in an escapist sort of way. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Robert Langdon is summoned to CERN in Switzerland to analyze a cryptic symbol. Langdon is a well-respected Harvard symbologist. He is shocked by what he finds.

The symbol ties to an ancient organization that is thought to have gone out of existence — the Illuminati. This group had a vendetta against the Catholic Church for centuries. How these two organizations tie to the Swiss research facility is not only strange, it is also deadly.

Not only are there murders, there is also a missing nuclear device that has been hidden in the Vatican and is set to explode in a matter of hours. As the clock ticks down, Langdon must figure out what the symbols mean and where the deaths will occur and where the explosive is hidden. This takes him to Italy and the Vatican.

It is a very fast paced plot with quite a bit of historical information. For some it may be a slow down to get through the historical references, but they do add to the meat of the story.

This is the second of Dan Brown’s books I’ve read and again I enjoyed it. I read it in bit instead of a long read. I digest the historical things and find it more memorable. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 4, 2020 |
Ein Kernforscher wird in seinem Schweizer Labor ermordet aufgefunden. Auf seiner Brust finden sich merkwürdige Symbole eingraviert, Symbole, die nur der Harvardprofessor Robert Langdon zu entziffern vermag. Was er dabei entdeckt, erschreckt ihn zutiefst: Die Symbole gehören zu der legendären Geheimgesellschaft "Illuminati". Diese Gemeinschaft scheint wieder zum Leben erweckt zu sein, und sie verfolgt einen finsteren Plan, denn aus dem Labor des ermordeten Kernforschers wurde Antimaterie entwendet.
  Fredo68 | May 18, 2020 |
Romance, religion, science, murder, mysticism, architecture, action. Go!
added by Lemeritus | editKirkus Review (May 1, 2000)

Pitting scientific terrorists against the cardinals of Vatican City, this well-plotted if over-the-top thriller is crammed with Vatican intrigue and high-tech drama... Though its premises strain credulity, Brown's tale is laced with twists and shocks that keep the reader wired right up to the last revelation.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (May 1, 2000)

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Biavasco, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guani, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hernandez, RodCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Poe, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Blythe...
Physicist Leonardo Vetra smelled burning flesh, and he knew it was his own.
Do NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs or other video formats) with the book.

World-renowned Harvard University symbologist Robert Langdon recieved a summons to the Swiss CERN research facility to investigate the murder of one of their physicist. His murder was at the hands of the thought-to-be dead society known as the Illuminati. After his death, it is revealed that the Illuminati has stolen a very crucial piece of technology the physicist has invented, and they threaten to vaporize Vatican City during conclave. They also claim that they have kidnapped the four cardinals most likely to be elected pope and threaten to kill them. With the Swiss Army's hands tied as they attempt to keep this situation away from the media, Robert Langdon teams up with the physicist's daughter, Vittoria Vetra, to travel to the Vatican to end the chaos before midnight strikes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,076,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible