Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

Angels & Demons (original 2009; edition 2003)

by Dan Brown

Member:kmarcil77
Title:Angels & Demons
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Atria (2003), Edition: 1st Atria Books Hardcover Ed, Hardcover, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:catholic church, conspiracy, fiction, illuminati, mystery, robert langdon, Rome, secret societies, suspense

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (2009)

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (dezert)
    dezert: It's the sequel
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (craigim, JoK)
    JoK: Delved the enigma of the Illuminati a decade before (and in more detail) than Dan Brown.
    The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea (craigim, CarlosMcRey)
    CarlosMcRey: About as historically accurate but much more fun.
    The Fire Gospel: The Myth of Prometheus by Michel Faber (2810michael)
    2810michael: Necessary to read after Dan Brown...
    The Fire by Katherine Neville (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Both works feature mystic orders carrying secret information. Both are founded on just enough history to leave you wondering if really could be true.
    Darkness Left Undone by Carl Henegan (Alexandria_annex)
    Alexandria_annex: Darkness Left Undone is the second book in a series with Bartender Mike who gets caught up in international intrigue. I found Dan Brown's books and Carl Henegan's books both share similar themes and energy intensities and I like both authors styles very much.… (more)
    The Hidden Ones by Nancy Madore (Freddul)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: This award-winning bestseller is a Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    The Moses Legacy by Adam Palmer (Farringdon)
    Farringdon: Same genre
    The Flanders Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (VictoriaPL)
    The Seville Communion by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Alixtii)
    The Pope's Assassin by Luís M. Rocha (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Conspiracy at the highest levels of the Church.
    Hard Whispers by Pamela Martin (Alexandria_annex)
    Alexandria_annex: I thought Hard Whispers had the same not stop action feel that kept me on the edge of the seat.

English (599)  Dutch (17)  German (7)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Catalan (2)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (656)
OK, the story, if not even a little bit believable, was reasonably entertaining. I don't demand believability!

However, the way this book is written is just unbelievably condescending. Brown feels the need to explain what the BBC is, what a particle accelerator is, insists on translating VERY basic foreign phrases, and gets basic word definitions in repeatedly under the guise of not having his characters know what things are. This wouldn't be so bad if the characters weren't supposed to be a physicist/biologist and a professor/symbologist. (A college professor has never HEARD of CERN?) The 'obscure' tidbits of knowledge that supposedly prove Langdon is brilliant in his field are most often common, pop-culture kinda stuff. He also divides "Christian vs. Pagan" symbology up in a way that people of centuries past did not. (It really would not have been considered shocking for a religious sculptor to also carve pyramids and obelisks, for example. And as of when is a dove a solely 'pagan' symbol?)

Luckily, most of the really irritating bits are in the beginning of the book - once people start dying, things get moving and the definitions fall by the wayside.
Still, I was hoping for a bit more... I didn't find the descriptions of life either at CERN or in the Vatican to be realistic AT ALL. (Oh, and as a library person, the bits dealing with when Langdon is allowed into the archives alone, without the help/supervision of a professional - sorry, but no way. They couldn't go wake up an archivist/librarian? And I don't believe that there is ANY evidence that the Vatican denies access to the materials in its catalog to non-Catholic researchers on the basis of their religion. From what I've read, it operates much like any other restricted archive - you have to have credentials as a qualified researcher, you need to request an appointment and the specific articles you want to see in advance, etc. Standard practice. And I really don't know about suffocating to death in an archival vault in 20 minutes. Unlikely. At least it's not something they ever warned us about in library school.)

I've been to Rome, and the book didn't succeed in bringing me back to the aura or feel of that beautiful and ancient yet modern city.
The religion vs. science debates brought up in the book are certainly timely, but fairly basic - they never really delve that deeply into the issues. Still, there are some really amusing bits, and some unexpected twists and turns in the plot.

Still, I should probably mention that it follows a very similar formula as the Da Vinci Code - if you've read one recently, the other may seem sneakingly familiar.... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book! I feel that along with the Da Vinci Code, this book should be made into a movie. There is plenty of suspense. There is plenty of twists and turns. Just when you think you know who did it and you feel ready to predict the outcome? Oops sorry, you are wrong and something new has been added to keep you glued to the pages.

The story revolves again around the main character Robert Langdon being thrown in the middle of one of the biggests and oldest contraversies going....Science versus Religion. His nemesis is the old, thought to be extinct, cult....the Illuminati. Robert Langdon uses his knowledge of symbology to solve clues to try and head off the killers and to solve the crime(s).

I consider Dan Brown an excellent writer. He kept me on the edge of my seat and glued to the book wondering, chapter by chapter, "what happens next?" The story itself is so sensational that you easily overlook some of the more mundane details such as Robert Langdon running all around Rome without any ID whatsoever...He doesn't even have his passport. Robert Langdon is given access of the highest degree to areas around the vatican that not even the upper level clergy are given. Dan Brown realized it as he mentions it in passing throughout the book, you realize it as you read it, but you don't care....the story is that good.

What I am surprised at is how this book escaped controversy, especially in today's world. What do I mean? Well here are some examples. The book demeans Catholicism as nothing more than a borrowed religion. Robert Langdon at one point goes into elaborate detail of how the symbols that the Catholic church uses today are borrowed (implied, stolen) from other pagan religions. In other words, nothing from Catholicism is original. Dan Brown also implies throughout the book that Science is chipping away, bit by bit, at religious mysticism. In other words, that the Church is counting on keeping people ignorant for purposes of control. And to top things all off, the most prevalent villan throughout the story....is of Middle Eastern descent. I am truly surprised that Dan Brown did not come under fire somewhere as being a racist or something like that from some group of peoples. He does make an attempt to mend fences between religion and science by promoting the fact that key people in history gave their lives to bridging the two, but in my opinion, it falls short and left me with the impression (especially after going through the sensational ending) that if you are a person of faith only, you are ignorant. Whereas if you are person of science, you are educated. A highly touchy subject that can be interpreted many ways.

I would highly recommend this book to everyone. I found it to be intoxicating. It is one of those books, that, just like a good movie you need to watch (read) again to pick up on the details read, but missed.

Flyinfox ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
Okay, but preferred _DaVinci Code_. All of Brown's novels tend toward the overly-worked plot, but despite this they tend to engage and to keep one turning the pages. Fun getting into the Vatican as improbable as it all seems. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A fast, suspenseful read that I enjoyed even though the plot/premise of the novel is completely unrealistic. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
The book was better than I thought it would be, I was just dissappointed that I didn't read it sooner. ( )
  JerseyGirl21 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Pitting scientific terrorists against the cardinals of Vatican City, this well-plotted if over-the-top thriller is crammed with Vatican intrigue and high-tech drama... Though its premises strain credulity, Brown's tale is laced with twists and shocks that keep the reader wired right up to the last revelation.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (May 1, 2000)

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biavasco, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biström, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guani, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Poe, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Blythe...
Physicist Leonardo Vetra smelled burning flesh, and he knew it was his own.
Do NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs or other video formats) with the book.

The ministry of angels is revealed in this collection of references from the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy. See the part angels have in preparing God's leaders on earth, their role in Christ's ministry, and their encounters with Ellen White.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027360, Mass Market Paperback)

It takes guts to write a novel that combines an ancient secret brotherhood, the Swiss Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire, a papal conclave, mysterious ambigrams, a plot against the Vatican, a mad scientist in a wheelchair, particles of antimatter, jets that can travel 15,000 miles per hour, crafty assassins, a beautiful Italian physicist, and a Harvard professor of religious iconology. It takes talent to make that novel anything but ridiculous. Kudos to Dan Brown (Digital Fortress) for achieving the nearly impossible. Angels & Demons is a no-holds-barred, pull-out-all-the-stops, breathless tangle of a thriller--think Katherine Neville's The Eight (but cleverer) or Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum (but more accessible).

Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is shocked to find proof that the legendary secret society, the Illuminati--dedicated since the time of Galileo to promoting the interests of science and condemning the blind faith of Catholicism--is alive, well, and murderously active. Brilliant physicist Leonardo Vetra has been murdered, his eyes plucked out, and the society's ancient symbol branded upon his chest. His final discovery, antimatter, the most powerful and dangerous energy source known to man, has disappeared--only to be hidden somewhere beneath Vatican City on the eve of the election of a new pope. Langdon and Vittoria, Vetra's daughter and colleague, embark on a frantic hunt through the streets, churches, and catacombs of Rome, following a 400-year-old trail to the lair of the Illuminati, to prevent the incineration of civilization.

Brown seems as much juggler as author--there are lots and lots of balls in the air in this novel, yet Brown manages to hurl the reader headlong into an almost surreal suspension of disbelief. While the reader might wish for a little more sardonic humor from Langdon, and a little less bombastic philosophizing on the eternal conflict between religion and science, these are less fatal flaws than niggling annoyances--readers should have no trouble skimming past them and immersing themselves in a heck of a good read. "Brain candy" it may be, but my! It's tasty. --Kelly Flynn

Look Inside the Motion Picture Angels & Demons (Sony Pictures, 2009)
Click on each image below to see a larger view

Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca with College of Cardinals

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon and Ayelet Zurer as Vittoria Vetra

Armin Mueller-Stahl as Straus and Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon, Ayelet Zurer as Vittoria Vetra, and Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca

Ewan MacGregor as Carlo Ventresca

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

A collection of some of the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright's most definitive works includes "All My Sons," "Death of a Salesman," "The Crucible," "A View from the Bridge," and five additional plays.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,178,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible